PDA

View Full Version : PLAYMAKERS?!?

Reason2succeed
08-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Remember WAY back in the day when Mullen first showed up at Mississippi State? Every commentators' favorite line was that Mullen just didn't have enough "playmakers" to really compete with the big boys. Well, since we are one week out from kickoff, who are the playmakers on this team and what do you want/expect to see from them?

Dak - great decision making, accuracy on short and intermediate route, at least 3-4 deep balls per game, scrambling ability only in the big games when necessary
Jameon - game breaker, take the short pass all the way to the house
Bear - stretch the defense, provide a target in the red zone
MJ - be MJ
RoJo - consistent first down catches and punishing run blocking
Hutch - catch jump balls and fades in the end zone
JRob - keep defenses honest, keep the chain moving and more
Nick Griffin - create a senior highlight reel that we can watch and cry

DL - mayhem, sacks from every position, run stuffing
LBs - blind size blitzes
CBs - lock down
Safeties - INT and returns

K - DON'T BLOW A GAME!!!
Punt and kickoff - booming kicks and few returns
Returners - TDs

smootness
08-23-2014, 05:39 PM
I think our primary playmakers will be Dak, Jameon, De'Runnya, Robinson, and Shumpert on offense, and CJ, Jefferson, Wells, Calhoun, and Cox on defense.

I want them all to be awesome.

defiantdog
08-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Remember WAY back in the day when Mullen first showed up at Mississippi State? Every commentators' favorite line was that Mullen just didn't have enough "playmakers" to really compete with the big boys. Well, since we are one week out from kickoff, who are the playmakers on this team and what do you want/expect to see from them?

Dak - great decision making, accuracy on short and intermediate route, at least 3-4 deep balls per game, scrambling ability only in the big games when necessary
Bear - stretch the defense, provide a target in the red zone Don't forget about the Fred's
MJ - be MJ
Hutch - catch jump balls and fades in the end zone Won't get as much attention as we hoped.... hard system for him to learn on such short notice
JRob - keep defenses honest, keep the chain moving and more He will have 1,000 yards rushing and be our stand out player this year
Shump - he'll be the reason we go to I formations at the goal line instead of that shotgun shit

LBs - blind size blitzes
CBs - lock down

K - DON'T BLOW A GAME!!!
Returners - TDs Just catch the damn ball first

Had to add a few things.... but I'm right there with you man. We finally have play makers at EVERY position.

Political Hack
08-23-2014, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't call our CBs "lockdown" but I do think they're great playmakers.

Todd4State
08-23-2014, 06:05 PM
I think the biggest difference to me as far as playmakers is we have a lot more length on the outside at WR and we are much better at QB.

MarketingBully01
08-23-2014, 09:29 PM

Bear - stretch the defense, provide a target in the red zone
MJ - be MJ
Hutch - catch jump balls and fades in the end zone
JRob - keep defenses honest, keep the chain moving and more

LBs - blind size blitzes
CBs - lock down

K - DON'T BLOW A GAME!!!
Returners - TDs

I'd add the Fred's. Since most of our fans have set the bar low (thinking our OL sucks and kicking game will suck), this offense will blow most of our fans away. As I stated earlier in one of the other threads, I am thinking that the score in the USM game will be 49 or 56 to 7. This is an explosive offense and we have just as many play makers in the passing game as the running game. If teams stack the line, players like Lewis, Wilson, Ross will get open and Dak has the talent to make the throws to these guys.

It would not surprise me if we have a long ball touchdown to open the game just to show teams you won't be able to stack the box against us. We probably will have the most balanced offense in the SEC next to Auburn and that is saying something. In all honesty, these first three games we will probably be able to name our score and Dak probably plays the first 2-3 quarters in all of them. Trust me, the offense is just as good as our defense and our special teams will be okay enough to not cost us games. We have enough play makers everywhere to make quite a bit of noise this year.

MarketingBully01
08-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Fred Ross is a difference maker. He was hurt last year and is completely healthy now. He is going to make noise in the passing game.

Reason2succeed
08-23-2014, 09:49 PM
I know that TE is a very complex position in Mullen's scheme but I'm not believing for one minute that a 6'7" JUCO TE isn't going to have a red zone package carved out for him. Something where he doesn't have to think too much but just run the the back pile on and catch the dang ball that's coming high.

MarketingBully01
08-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Another difference will be the game planning of Mullen, Hevesy and Gonzales with Mullen calling the plays and no Koening. The trio I just mentioned were the mastermind behind Meyer's offensive success and we finally have a Tebowesque QB to run it. I also think Dak will have the freedom at the line to change a play if he sees a weakness he can exploit. We have never had a QB that Mullen has felt that comfortable with to do that at MSU anyway. He had it at Florida with Tebow.

CadaverDawg
08-23-2014, 10:19 PM
I know that TE is a very complex position in Mullen's scheme but I'm not believing for one minute that a 6'7" JUCO TE isn't going to have a red zone package carved out for him. Something where he doesn't have to think too much but just run the the back pile on and catch the dang ball that's coming high.

If Hutch isn't grasping it, redshirt him. We have MoJo, Hill, and Walley anyway. I 100%'do not want to see us waste a year of Hutcherson when he only has 2 to begin with.

Reason2succeed
08-23-2014, 10:25 PM
True. Can he still RS? I thought we had another huge TE commit coming in. If he plays I believe he will be used in the red zone. Mojo, Walley, Hill, etc. aren't 6'7" with soft hands.

CadaverDawg
08-23-2014, 10:34 PM
True. Can he still RS? I thought we had another huge TE commit coming in. If he plays I believe he will be used in the red zone. Mojo, Walley, Hill, etc. aren't 6'7" with soft hands.

Yes he can redshirt. I agree that I'd love to have him out there....I'm simply saying if he isn't getting the system yet, don't blow a year of eligibility for 15 snaps

Reason2succeed
08-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Yes he can redshirt. I agree that I'd love to have him out there....I'm simply saying if he isn't getting the system yet, don't blow a year of eligibility for 15 snaps

I agree but if those 15 snaps result in 5 TDs then it would be more than worth it. A guy like him will get a look at the NFL off of shear size alone so he doesn't necessarily need to stay long of put up huge stats.

CadaverDawg
08-24-2014, 12:06 AM
I agree but if those 15 snaps result in 5 TDs then it would be more than worth it. A guy like him will get a look at the NFL off of shear size alone so he doesn't necessarily need to stay long of put up huge stats.

He isn't going to score TD's if he "doesn't get it"...that's what I'm saying. Yes, if he has the ability to run the right routes and make the right reads, play him. If not, he needs to redshirt.