PDA

View Full Version : Billy Lightning Hamilton question...

The Federalist Engineer
08-23-2014, 01:45 PM
We signed him for football, were we going to use him for Baseball to?

Then, the unknowable...what kind of Dudy Nobel career would BH have had?

Dawg61
08-23-2014, 01:50 PM
We also kicked World Series champion Adron Chambers off the football team and he didn't play baseball for MSU either. Chambers and Hamilton would of stolen more bases than everyone else in the SEC combined.

RBritt
08-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Corey Dickerson would have helped a good bit too. He would have hit at least 15-18 bombs the year Florida beat us in the Super. Dickerson has been killing it lately. Hopefully he wins NL rookie of the year. I also believe he is elgible for the NL batting crown.

Dawg61
08-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Corey Dickerson would have helped a good bit too. He would have hit at least 15-18 bombs the year Florida beat us in the Super. Dickerson has been killing it lately. Hopefully he wins NL rookie of the year. I also believe he is elgible for the NL batting crown.

Definitely eligible, he's been starting most of the year now. I have him on one of my fantasy teams and he's been great. Only his teammates Morneau and Tulo are ahead of him for the batting crown. Tulo might win it with 315 at bats for the year. Anyone know the cutoff for at bats to qualify for the batting title?

Todd4State
08-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Definitely eligible, he's been starting most of the year now. I have him on one of my fantasy teams and he's been great. Only his teammates Morneau and Tulo are ahead of him for the batting crown. Tulo might win it with 315 at bats for the year. Anyone know the cutoff for at bats to qualify for the batting title?

I believe it's 502 plate appearances.

Todd4State
08-23-2014, 03:47 PM
We signed him for football, were we going to use him for Baseball to?

Then, the unknowable...what kind of Dudy Nobel career would BH have had?

I suspect Cohen would have been OK with Hamilton being on the team. He would have been overmatched by SEC pitching at the beginning of his career though, and no doubt people on mb would have had some "Why dosn't he just stick to football?" posts.

Dawg61
08-24-2014, 12:31 AM
I believe it's 502 plate appearances.

Seems like a lot, Dickerson has like 330 right now. No way he gets to 502 or is that an inside joke? Odd number if so and a lot imo.

Todd4State
08-24-2014, 02:24 AM
Seems like a lot, Dickerson has like 330 right now. No way he gets to 502 or is that an inside joke? Odd number if so and a lot imo.

No, I was being serious. Unless I'm mistaken. 69 players have already qualified with about a month of baseball left.

There have been a few exceptions made before, but that is extremely rare and it's usually because there was a strike shortened season.

I think the thought behind it was the idea that a player gets 3 AB's per game on average.

smootness
08-24-2014, 12:16 PM
No, you're right, that is the number. It's not really a lot, most players who play all year end up with around 700. It's designed so that someone can't come in, only play half the year and win a batting title while someone else finished just below while playing much more and having more opportunities for that average to drop.

Dickerson is at 359 right now. If he starts the rest of the year and stays healthy, he will probably get there.

RBritt
08-24-2014, 03:33 PM
It's a damn shame how Dickerson was done to start the season with the Rox. He'd have way better numbers if they wouldn't have played him 1 game let him sit 2. He'd have 40 bombs by the end of the year. All we hear about is the tigers player and billy Hamilton by the mississippi media....

Todd4State
08-24-2014, 04:43 PM
No, you're right, that is the number. It's not really a lot, most players who play all year end up with around 700. It's designed so that someone can't come in, only play half the year and win a batting title while someone else finished just below while playing much more and having more opportunities for that average to drop.

Dickerson is at 359 right now. If he starts the rest of the year and stays healthy, he will probably get there.

It's a little bit weird to me because it's batting average which is derived from at bats, but they use plate appearances to decide who qualifies.