PDA

View Full Version : If you take away the Vaught Aberration and Larry Gillard's Eligibility Lynching,....

Mutt the Hoople
08-23-2014, 09:59 AM
If you take away the Vaught Aberration and Gillard Eligibility Lynching, we dominate the all-time series against Ole Miss 44-41-2, and USM 14-12-2. Now before delusional Rebel and Gelded Buzzard fans, and low-self-esteem Bulldogs attack me, look at who Johnny Vaught was:

John Vaught was a tough, hard-nosed Texan who was also an Honors Graduate of TCU, where he was an All-American playing under the likes of Dutch Meyer and Francis Schmidt. He later was an assistant under a fellow TCU grad, Ray "The Original Bear" Wolf at North Carolina. During World War II, he coached at North Carolina pre-flight school. While there, he managed to recruit Harper Davis to his team.

When he went to coach at Ole Miss after the war, he realized he needed players like Harper Davis- tough, hard-nosed kids who weren't afraid to work and didn't shy away from hard hits...in other words, Mississippi State Men. When he took over as Head Coach at Ole Miss in 1947, he realized he wasn't going to get those kind of guys from what normally went to Ole Miss (some 4-F Diddy-Got-Them-Out-Of-The-Draft Fauntleroy Prissypants IV). He then went on to bring glory to Ole Miss by these innovations:

-The Wing-T spread offense, which opened up the passing game he learned at TCU.
-Hiring a full-time Recruiting coach to foster relationships with High School Coaches and scout for the best players.
-Not playing Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, or Georgia Tech on an annual basis. This helped keep his win total up
-Getting UT-Chattanooga as a Conference Game.
-Using Wobble Davidson, former hardassed Marine War Veteran, to weed out and toughen the players their Freshman and Redshirt Year so they were ready to play by the time Vaught got a hold of them.

Texas-tough Vaught knew that the players and students not only revered him (after all, he was smarter than them- he went to TCU), but he absolutely terrified them. No other coach over there since then inspired such awe and fear. If Vaught had coached at State, he'd have won as many games but the players and students would've been as tough and less easy to intimidate, and a whole lot smarter than the Mama's Boys Vaught hung around.

The other way Ole Miss (and USM) managed to steal some wins from their all-time rivalry against The Mississippi State University was the Eligibility Lynching of Larry Gillard. Gillard was a terror on defense, wreaking havoc everywhere he went. However, he made the mistake of getting a coat at the same student discount that every other Mississippi State student got one. He was declared ineligible. However, Head Coach Bob Tyler (a loyal Johnny Vaught disciple) figured out a way to screw State without actually ruining his own coaching reputation- he kept playing Gillard instead of sitting him until his eligibility cleared or letting him move on to the pros.

PLaying an ineligible player caused State to have an "official" 27 game losing streak. Ole Miss Rebel and Mississippi Southern Gelded Buzzard fans latch onto that technicality like an Emotionally Needy Psycho Girlfriend latches onto you when you're in a room full of cheerleaders.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter- In the 21st Century The Mississippi State University owns Ole Miss (a little Plantation lingo there) and has never lost to Southern Miss.

engie
08-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Elitedawgs remembers.

Offshore Dawg
08-23-2014, 10:18 AM
You got to give Vaught credit he knew how to get it done.

Other than that, screw the little toddy bears.

Pollodawg
08-23-2014, 10:47 AM
I have admit, it's a fun read.

gravedigger
08-23-2014, 02:50 PM
If you take away my uncle's balls he's my aunt. I don't get your point.

If you take away all our wins, they are undefeated in the series....see how that works?

Liverpooldawg
08-23-2014, 03:05 PM
If you take away my uncle's balls he's my aunt. I don't get your point.

If you take away all our wins, they are undefeated in the series....see how that works?

Just go with it man....it's Mutt!

Esmerelda Villalobos
08-23-2014, 03:16 PM
If I had a billion, Id be a billionaire.

Coach34
08-23-2014, 03:25 PM
We lead the series over Ole Missus the last 25 years. Enough said

Offshore Dawg
08-23-2014, 03:34 PM
This whole thing by Mutt is pasted on nafoom and they being butt licking toddy bears are having a large time with it.

Mutt the Hoople
08-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Sic Semper Implodis- Thus Be It To Imploders.

PassInterference
08-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Great post, Mutt. Would read again.

Ole Miss had a great run before most of us were born, and before it was required to play a bunch of SEC teams. Good for them.

However, I remember most fondly things that happened in my lifetime. Where we dominate. Hail damn State!

Da 17...were Bracky Brett's heirs around here in the 70s? 27 games? Who else forfeits 27 games?

Mutt the Hoople
08-23-2014, 05:57 PM
I never thought about it until recently, but he WAS Head Corch at Ole Miss for about 12 hours in 1971....my Conspiratorial Side is thinking this could've been a way for Coach Tyler to get back into Ole Miss' good graces...kick their ass in football, but let them win the forfeit.

Tbaen
08-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Mutt you may be on to something. His kid transferred from State back to Ole Miss after Daddy got canned after all. I met him a few years ago in, of all places the M-Club at Vaught and he told me the story. I was too busy drinking up their beer to hear it all, but that part got my attention.

Pollodawg
08-23-2014, 09:56 PM
When they bring up owning the overall record in the EB, I always wonder why I'm supposed to give a shit that they used to beat us a lot.

SDDawg
08-23-2014, 10:10 PM
When they bring up owning the overall record in the EB, I always wonder why I'm supposed to give a shit that they used to beat us a lot.

Old times there are not forgotten...

IMissJack
08-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Does anyone else notice that when the eb is in Oxford, they only give the eb record only (not the overall) to distort in their favor? I realize they lead overall, but what they show is bs.

Bully13
08-24-2014, 10:50 AM
I sometimes wonder if their is another fan base that compares to TSUN. my source tells me they've won 22 SEC games in the last 10 years and we've won 26. they've won 11 in the last 5 while we've won 16. that, coupled with 4 out of the last 5 head to head meetings, and they still talk as if we are a non factor, that they are so much better than us and not their rival.

is there another fan base with a similar situation and talk this foolishly about another team?