PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Today

MsStateBaseball
08-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Let's hope the two players who decommitted from OM announce they will sign with us later today. I would think they will be on campus after lunch. Gray Fenter and Trysten Barlow.

headcoach98
08-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Fingers crossed.

engie
08-21-2014, 09:39 AM
It's extremely likely. Maybe not today -- but soon...

KB21
08-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Anyone heard anything yet? I did hear that there is another Memphis area prospect that has de-committed from "another program" that may be interested in Mississippi State depending upon what happens in the draft in 2015.

MsStateBaseball
08-21-2014, 10:44 PM
I haven't heard but usually recruits are told to wait and make sure. I think we have a great chance.

ZedFedder
08-22-2014, 12:13 AM
What would our class rank if we were to get both guys? Todd, what do you think our chances are of landing them? Parker Ford, Austin Riley, Gray Fenter... That's three huge huge arms.

messageboardsuperhero
08-22-2014, 12:22 AM
What would our class rank if we were to get both guys? Todd, what do you think our chances are of landing them? Parker Ford, Austin Riley, Gray Fenter... That's three huge huge arms.

Not Todd, but IMO it would have to at least be among the top five in the country- and our chances of landing both Fenter and Barlow seem very good.

Don't forget the lefty arms like Padgett, Pilkington, Breaux, Barlow, etc. This class is loaded top-to-bottom.

Todd4State
08-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Anyone heard anything yet? I did hear that there is another Memphis area prospect that has de-committed from "another program" that may be interested in Mississippi State depending upon what happens in the draft in 2015.

If that rumor is true, he needs to go ahead and de-commit and commit to us to make sure he has a place with us.

Todd4State
08-22-2014, 01:00 AM

Fenter would probably vault us into top 5 easy. If we get everyone, we will have a chance to maybe even be the top class in the country next year. Even if we get some of our recruits we are going to have a chance to have the top class.

At this time, I think we are going to get Parker Ford. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he blows up during the season if he looks good in high school this year. We'll know more about him and the draft in April or May.

Riley and Fenter are first or second round type guys. I think we have a better chance at keeping Riley than Fenter because of his MSU connections. Riley is a lot more versatile than Fenter, but Fenter throws harder. If I had to guess, I'd say we would have about a 65% chance at keeping Riley and about a 50% chance of keeping Fenter.

Todd4State
08-22-2014, 01:04 AM
Not Todd, but IMO it would have to at least be among the top five in the country- and our chances of landing both Fenter and Barlow seem very good.

Don't forget the lefty arms like Padgett, Pilkington, Breaux, Barlow, etc. This class is loaded top-to-bottom.

If we get Fenter and Barlow our class would have two Under Armour All-Americans (Riley and Fenter), three Perfect Game AA Game participants (Riley, Marrero, and Pickett), and two Team USA U18 participants (Pilkington who I actually think is very underrated right now, and Breaux). Breaux made the first cut for Team USA. And that doesn't include Luke Alexander who was also a Team USA participant in the past.

AlSwearengen
08-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Who is the kid from memphis that is committed to "another program"? If it needs to stay as quiet as possible, I understand.

Todd4State
08-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Who is the kid from memphis that is committed to "another program"? If it needs to stay as quiet as possible, I understand.

The person that said that was sevendust, so there's a good chance it's not true.

See "Jake Mangum to LSU. I seen it on Dulin's roster".

HailState13
08-22-2014, 09:26 AM
If you really want to know who has what it takes at the next level out side of all these "if you pay you play or get ranked high service types and or popularity services", do the research and see who was invited to the East Coast Pro and the Area Code games the last Couple of years. These events are put on by a real service called Major League Baseball! They are put on for one reason and one reason only and that is to evaluate the top kids that the pro community and scouts think will help them win a World Series in the next few years. You will find a lot of familiar names at these events but you will also find a few that you may not think of as high draft guys that might surprise you. There are a realistically a few more "if we get" guys than the the board talks about or realizes! We have A LOT better class than most know! These pay services get a lot of it right because of the obvious but miss on a ton of kids because they don't pay enough or have the right last name on their back and last time I checked Perfect Game, Under Armour, or USA have never had an opportunity to go on the clock and make the next pick in the Major League Baseball Draft. The MSU coaches have done a fantastic job of getting some real go getters that you guys will be happy about! Here's to hoping we get them all to campus because it will be a special 3 or 4 years!

Todd4State
08-22-2014, 11:21 AM
If you really want to know who has what it takes at the next level out side of all these "if you pay you play or get ranked high service types and or popularity services", do the research and see who was invited to the East Coast Pro and the Area Code games the last Couple of years. These events are put on by a real service called Major League Baseball! They are put on for one reason and one reason only and that is to evaluate the top kids that the pro community and scouts think will help them win a World Series in the next few years. You will find a lot of familiar names at these events but you will also find a few that you may not think of as high draft guys that might surprise you. There are a realistically a few more "if we get" guys than the the board talks about or realizes! We have A LOT better class than most know! These pay services get a lot of it right because of the obvious but miss on a ton of kids because they don't pay enough or have the right last name on their back and last time I checked Perfect Game, Under Armour, or USA have never had an opportunity to go on the clock and make the next pick in the Major League Baseball Draft. The MSU coaches have done a fantastic job of getting some real go getters that you guys will be happy about! Here's to hoping we get them all to campus because it will be a special 3 or 4 years!

You make some good points. There are always some very good players that emerge as time goes on. I think Jake Mangum, Noah Hughes, and Delvin Zinn are very underrated by the services. And as far as the East Coast Pro Showcase, Konnor Pilkington, Jared Padgett, Greg Pickett, and Hunter Stovall all participated and that is one of the top showcases out there and probably the best.

I would say that Team USA is pretty unbiased though. You don't pay to play for them.

The other thing about the PG AA Game and the UA All-American Game is they select the best players that are paying. Both have a very good track record with selecting players that typically end up being drafted very high.