PDA

View Full Version : After hearing abt JTGray, how about

cheewgumm
08-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Some good 3-4 defense with him and Wells as bookend OLBs?

Speed all over.

Bored, ready.

engie
08-20-2014, 11:28 PM
JT is behind Wells and Jackson. Same mold of player. You are also talking about pulling Beniquez/Dez off the field in order to make that scenario go. Just don't see it happening. When we go 3-4, we will most likely be seeing Richie added to the middle IMO

msstate7
08-20-2014, 11:31 PM
JT is behind Wells and Jackson. Same mold of player. You are also talking about pulling Beniquez/Dez off the field in order to make that scenario go. Just don't see it happening. When we go 3-4, we will most likely be seeing Richie added to the middle IMO

Redshirt? If buried at lb, why not see if he can help at safety this year? Then move back to lb in spring

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2014, 12:41 AM
Redshirt? If buried at lb, why not see if he can help at safety this year? Then move back to lb in spring

Depends, he may make a hellacious special teams guy on kickoff coverage, punt coverage, etc...

I know people don't like wasting a redshirt year on that, but, if we are truly trying to win, then we need our best players playing.

Bothrops
08-21-2014, 12:52 AM
If he's physically ready then he should play.

mic
08-21-2014, 07:10 AM

Correct...

engie
08-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Another thing is -- recruiting has picked up enough that we don't have to be an almost exclusively redshirting program anymore...simply not enough room to hold a full 5 years worth of players....

headcoach98
08-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Alot of these guys can make major contributions on SP early on.

HancockCountyDog
08-21-2014, 08:25 AM

I can't see any scenario where he beats out two seniors in Hughes and Cox. Throw in Market and I just don't see it happening.

Now, I have no problem with getting him reps in the 2nd half of the first three games at either position - should be plenty of time for young players.

DudyDawg
08-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Alot of these guys can make major contributions on SP early on.

Agreed. He, Dez, Z Jackson, Gerry with a hard G will all be very good on kick and punt coverage. That isn't to say they won't get any PT on defense, but they can still be impactful on the tackle sheet without a high number of reps on D and a lot of time chasing down return men

Coach34
08-21-2014, 09:30 AM

Where? Why waste a year for very limited reps?

jumbo
08-21-2014, 09:53 AM
I think he plays this year. He and Green are my freshman picks to play and contribute

HoopsDawg
08-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Where? Why waste a year for very limited reps?

JT is not a developmental guy. He is ready to play. He will play a big role on special teams. We are at the point now where we can roll guys through the program and replace them. We still redshirt the O-linemen and the developmental players, but guys like Gerri Green, Aeris Williams, and JT Gray are going to play even though their reps may be limited to special teams. You can get 20 or more plays per game on special teams.

MetEdDawg
08-21-2014, 11:00 AM
JT is not a developmental guy. He is ready to play. He will play a big role on special teams. We are at the point now where we can roll guys through the program and replace them. We still redshirt the O-linemen and the developmental players, but guys like Gerri Green, Aeris Williams, and JT Gray are going to play even though their reps may be limited to special teams. You can get 20 or more plays per game on special teams.

Agreed. We can't continue to do the 80-90% of the class RS anymore. I would like for 6 or 7guys per class be able to fight for reps every year. If we keep bringing in better talent, this will eliminate some of the RS because they will continue to push for PT in spots where it might be available. Gray is ready it sounds like to at least get some reps. Even if it's limited PT, get him in now, especially if he's an LB in the future. If he's good enough to pass Zac Jack then we upgrade at the position. If not, he will kill on special teams and get some back up reps to get him ready to play more next year.

Coach34
08-21-2014, 11:02 AM
McKinney, Richie Brown, and Bennie Brown redshirted- and they damn sure aren't developmental guys

Gray won't play a play in an SEC game. Don't waste a year for Special Teams- we have enough back-ups on them already

HoopsDawg
08-21-2014, 11:12 AM
McKinney, Richie Brown, and Bennie Brown redshirted- and they damn sure aren't developmental guys

Gray won't play a play in an SEC game. Don't waste a year for Special Teams- we have enough back-ups on them already

McKinney was 100% a developmental guy. He was a lankey 6'4-200 and had never played LB before. He was a QB in high school from a very small program.

Bennie Brown was primarily a RB in HS. I agree on Richie, we could have thrown him into the action.