Goat Holder
08-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Shipleys in the morning

DragonDawgZ
08-20-2014, 09:18 AM
beer, vodka, whiskey, and fireball

BeastMan
08-20-2014, 09:24 AM
City Bagel breakfast sandwich. Sausage, egg, and cheddar on a jalape?o cheddar bagel. Couple cups of coffee. Side of fresh fruit. Just go early b/c it will be a zoo by 9am

BeardoMSU
08-20-2014, 09:28 AM
beer, vodka, whiskey, and fireball

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131202235133/walkingdead/images/d/db/Tom_baker_creepy_smile.gif

BeardoMSU
08-20-2014, 09:32 AM
We usually have BBQ at the tailgate, which is a must, imo. We generally like to drink our weight in good 'hot weather' beer. City Bagel in the morning is definitely a must, Beastman. I'm partial to the red-pepper-parmesan bagel with carrot-walnut-raisin cream cheese.

DragonDawgZ
08-20-2014, 09:36 AM
I heard theres some new biscuit place in starkville. I think its called the biscuit shop. Have different kinds of biscuits daily, and its dirt cheap. Will definitely be trying it out once I get there

Westdawg
08-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Waffle House at 3am, Shipley's at 8am, Bulldog Deli ( or whatever it is now) for a rotel n' chips & some ranch potato salad, Mugshots for early afternoon dinner with an onion ring tree and a big ole burger, butt-stank cup of coke and a dirty dog at the game, and petty's at about 11pm on the way out of town......yep. that was the good ole days.
Guess i will hit up sweet peppers for a salad, cry as i pass by all the rest knowing i can't eat like i am 20 yrs old anymore, and stand in line at the new stricklin troughs while i change the 1 yr old's dirty diaper........

Ralph
08-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Lil Smokies sausages cooked in crock pot in cranberry sauce brown sugar and yellow mustard with ritz crackers.

Dawgdom
08-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Always try to rotate restaurants...then an Albino Squirrel from SBC for the drive home.

Johnson85
08-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Bloody Mary to start the day but no particular must have food. At home it will be something off the grill unless it's a cold weather game, in which case I might make jambalaya or gumbo instead. If I'm in starkville, it's usually too hectic to have any routine on game day. If I'm in town for the weekend, I try to hit up city bagel one morning and get a stromboli's pizza at some point or get to Anthony's the night before the game.

FISHDAWG
08-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Shoney's Breakfast bar

BeardoMSU
08-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Shoney's Breakfast bar

http://i.minus.com/iSzs7qPQAzi0.gif

FISHDAWG
08-20-2014, 11:26 AM
ha - it's actually a superstitious thing

BrunswickDawg
08-20-2014, 11:38 AM
When I had season tickets in the 90s, I had the ideal tailgate setup over by the Newell Grissom and the Poultry Science Bldg. The guy with tickets in front of us provided everything since we were coming in from Atlanta for every game. So my favorite food was "Whatever Ed was grilling". He just asked for whisky.

Now, I'm blessed to be on the GA Coast, so low country boil, or homemade gumbo or crab bisque or go-to's when I'm watching at home. For night games, sometimes I'll smoke something if I have the free time to drink all day (which is rare with kids).

Political Hack
08-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Oby's is solid. Petty's is a big favorite of mine too. I actually love their catfish.

BeardoMSU
08-20-2014, 11:47 AM
ha - it's actually a superstitious thing

Where is there a Shoneys? I haven't seen one of them since I was a kid.

Pollodawg
08-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Ribs or Conecuh or Mosby sausage on the grill with some sauteed bell peppers, rotel dip with hamburger meat and onion in it, been thinking about adding some shrimp in this year and giving it a whirl withe dip. Cold beer on ice. Bud Lite. So sue me. I drink cheep.

And with the ribs, I normally cool cook em and let em smoke for baby back for about four hours at a constant 250, adding a few hickory chips here and there after I've rubbed the meat down in dry rub and injected it with apple cider vinegar.

Boodawg
08-20-2014, 11:51 AM

That's hilarious...

DudyDawg
08-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Beer, burgers, love a good rotel or spinach/artichoke type dip. Save the whiskey for in the game.

New thing we are starting to have at most of our tailgates is bacon wrapped cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers. Perfect finger food

sleepy dawg
08-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Simple and lame... Coca Cola

BeardoMSU
08-20-2014, 11:56 AM
is bacon wrapped cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers

I'll share one of my recipes with you. I pickle whole jalapenos from my garden every year for this one reason. I take a pickled pepper, hollow it out, and stuff it with cheesy cornbread mix (I take regular cornbread mix and add an obscene amount of cheddar cheese - where it is essentially mostly cheese, but held together by the cornmeal), then wrap it in bacon and grill it. You can do this with normal jalapenos, but I find the pickled flavor just gives that extra "zing".

Schultzy
08-20-2014, 11:59 AM
I heard theres some new biscuit place in starkville. I think its called the biscuit shop. Have different kinds of biscuits daily, and its dirt cheap. Will definitely be trying it out once I get there

It's across the street from Fred's on Jackson Street. One block north of Petty's on the left.

BulldogBear
08-20-2014, 12:07 PM
We do Petty's about half the time. If I'm bringing a new person, we always do Petty's!

preachermatt83
08-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Oby's is always a must have for us because the wife is a junky for their sweet Tea and the daughter loves the grilled cheese.. Its almost like cheezy bread. Not bad. I love the Roast beef with cheddar or the Alligator po-boy is not bad.

BeastMan
08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
We usually have BBQ at the tailgate, which is a must, imo. We generally like to drink our weight in good 'hot weather' beer. City Bagel in the morning is definitely a must, Beastman. I'm partial to the red-pepper-parmesan bagel with carrot-walnut-raisin cream cheese.

Red pepper parm is a close 2nd. If i do cream cheese, the onion bagel with veggie cream cheese is the tits. Just plan on brushing your teeth after

DudyDawg
08-20-2014, 12:26 PM
I'll share one of my recipes with you. I pickle whole jalapenos from my garden every year for this one reason. I take a pickled pepper, hollow it out, and stuff it with cheesy cornbread mix (I take regular cornbread mix and add an obscene amount of cheddar cheese - where it is essentially mostly cheese, but held together by the cornmeal), then wrap it in bacon and grill it. You can do this with normal jalapenos, but I find the pickled flavor just gives that extra "zing".

I've never heard of using cornbread mix for it. I may have to give that a shot. Thanks for the tip

Pollodawg
08-20-2014, 03:21 PM

Will definitely be trying this. Thanks, man.

Goat Holder
08-20-2014, 03:40 PM
When I had season tickets in the 90s, I had the ideal tailgate setup over by the Newell Grissom and the Poultry Science Bldg. The guy with tickets in front of us provided everything since we were coming in from Atlanta for every game. So my favorite food was "Whatever Ed was grilling". He just asked for whisky.

You must have been right near us back in those days. Of course, I was a kid, so I was throwing a football around and not grilling/drinking, but the family was right there in front of the Poultry Science building. I had no clue about any of it, but I always remembered that sign on the building. The 90s were the greatest, although the tailgating has definitely come a long way since then, in terms of sophistication. Back then we just brought food and set it out. I'm glad this next generation is finally starting to experience MSU football like I did in the King Jackie days. For all I knew, we had always been a good football program.

Now, I'm blessed to be on the GA Coast, so low country boil, or homemade gumbo or crab bisque or go-to's when I'm watching at home. For night games, sometimes I'll smoke something if I have the free time to drink all day (which is rare with kids).

I'm back near Starkville now, but I know what you mean, for about 9 years I was a good ways away. We would cook based on our opponent, ie LSU cajun, etc. Now with kids, you are right, I am doing good to drink one whiskey drink and see parts of our game, unless we go.

And you are 100% blessed about the GA Coast, I love it over there. If I was to ever move back to the Coast, it would be there or possibly Gulf Shores.

BrunswickDawg
08-20-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm back near Starkville now, but I know what you mean, for about 9 years I was a good ways away. We would cook based on our opponent, ie LSU cajun, etc. Now with kids, you are right, I am doing good to drink one whiskey drink and see parts of our game, unless we go.

And you are 100% blessed about the GA Coast, I love it over there. If I was to ever move back to the Coast, it would be there or possibly Gulf Shores.
The only real down side to being here is that it takes 10-11 hours to get to Starkville. I haven't been to a home game in 15 years (but 2 Athens trips, 2 Gators, and a "quality Mullen win" in Gainesville have helped. From 2002-08, I didn't feel like I was missing much. Now is a different story. Upside - I'm stopping by the docks on my way home for a couple of pounds of shrimp right off the boat to grill up with some tortellini tonight.

dickiedawg
08-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Is their roast beef like hot roast an gravy or is it sliced roast beef?

Never had it.

hailmari
08-20-2014, 04:10 PM
I usually prefer to keep it simple on gameday or else I'm left doing all the work on my own. Burgers and chips.

I saw a mention for Petty's catfish. It is legit. The hot sauce that comes with it is what really sets it off though.

missouridawg
08-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Those cheeseburgers and fries from Petty's are legit.

I love me some Stromboli's too. The bread stars with a rotel pizza (or chicken ranchero sandwich). Living in Texas, I crave both of those pretty regularly.

preachermatt83
08-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Is their roast beef like hot roast an gravy or is it sliced roast beef?

Never had it.

Sliced... with Au Jus for dipping.

rec207
08-20-2014, 05:23 PM
We do Petty's about half the time. If I'm bringing a new person, we always do Petty's!

I will NEVER understand the Petty's hype. The one and only time I went there was with my girlfriend and we both got bbq nachos. The cook(whatever he is) was visibly drunk. Took our order we waited 20 minutes for bbq nachos which is a simple order. I asked what the hold up was because we were the only two people there (I can see why now). I wached in the side window and watched them hurriedly throw a piece of american cheese on both of our nachos and throw them into the microwave. Needless to say it tasted terrible. Bad service bad food bad people. I never recommend Petty's to anyone nor will I ever go back.

Esmerelda Villalobos
08-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Whiskey, cowbells and titties.

Homedawg
08-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Sliced... with Au Jus for dipping.

From oby's? U must ask for au jus because it's served w brown gravy

BulldogBear
08-20-2014, 05:44 PM
I will NEVER understand the Petty's hype. The one and only time I went there was with my girlfriend and we both got bbq nachos. The cook(whatever he is) was visibly drunk. Took our order we waited 20 minutes for bbq nachos which is a simple order. I asked what the hold up was because we were the only two people there (I can see why now). I wached in the side window and watched them hurriedly throw a piece of american cheese on both of our nachos and throw them into the microwave. Needless to say it tasted terrible. Bad service bad food bad people. I never recommend Petty's to anyone nor will I ever go back.

Having been there several dozen times of course service wasn't great a couple of times. I encourage you to give it another try. Ribs are good and so is the pulled pork. I always ask for extra bread with the pulled pork and make my own sandwiches.

hailmari, I wouldn't have known the catfish was so good if my son didn't care for BBQ. I just never would've tried 'cause I'm not going to a BBQ place cravin' fish. So, that's what he started getting and I usually confiscate a piece. Usually mighty fine. Exposes Penn's for what it is... a chain.

Coach34
08-20-2014, 05:53 PM

I suggest the next time you go to a BBQ restaurant- get a BBQ or ribs

Pettys can't be beat on their pork sandwiches- by anybody.

preachermatt83
08-20-2014, 05:58 PM
From oby's? U must ask for au jus because it's served w brown gravy

The Roast beef poboy is open faced with gravy.. The Creole Roast beef sandwich is sliced with au jus on the side .

hailmari
08-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Petty's isn't for everyone. It can be a cultural experience for some, I'm sure. If you're looking to be pampered, it ain't the place to go. But their BBQ nachos might be my favorite ever. Heartburn city tho..

Goat Holder
08-20-2014, 06:00 PM

You don't go to places like that expecting to get good service. Many would say that the owner is, to be polite, not a nice person, especially towards white people. But the food cannot be beaten. It's like when that dumb bitch a few years ago went into Dreamland and asked for a menu to see the salads. The waiter was like, "Bitch, we got RIBS!"

IMissJack
08-20-2014, 08:48 PM
I usually hit Lil Dooey or Oby's or both.

CadaverDawg
08-20-2014, 08:56 PM

Damn, Beardo....Sometimes simple is the funniest. For some reason I laughed until I cried at that GIF in response to Fish's Shoneys mention.

Yo Fish, I feel ya. I'm a Cracker Barrel superstitious guy.

BeardoMSU
08-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Damn, Beardo....Sometimes simple is the funniest.

I aim to please, Cadaver.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-24137-Val-Kilmer-wink-gif-Tombstone-L9H5.gif

CadaverDawg
08-20-2014, 09:04 PM
I aim to please, Cadaver.

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/jeremiah_johnson_nodding.gif

dawgoneyall
08-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Beer.

I seen it dawg
08-20-2014, 10:12 PM
I've never heard of using cornbread mix for it. I may have to give that a shot. Thanks for the tip

Use Jiffy mix for a touch of sweet