PDA

View Full Version : How many Top 25 wins does Mullen get this year?

fishwater99
08-20-2014, 08:39 AM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-career-coaching-records-top-25/

I'll be more than happy with 2, that would double his total to 4. It's past time for a signature win..

He is 2-21 right now, with his last win back in 2010(UF).

He is also 0-19 vs the Top 20..

L LSU #7
L GT #25
L UF #1
L Bama #2
W Ole Miss #25

L Auburn #21
L LSU #15
W UF #22
L Bama #12
L Ark #13

L LSU #3
L SC #15
L Bama #3
L Arky #6

L Bama #1
L A&M #16
L LSU #7
L NW #20

L OSU #13
L LSU #10
L SC #14
L A&M #15
L Bama #1

QuadrupleOption
08-20-2014, 08:43 AM
All of them.

But even if he wins against ranked opponents his detractors will move the goalposts like they always do. In the end I'd like to see us get at least 8 wins in the regular season. I don't care how we get there.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-career-coaching-records-top-25/

I'll be more than happy with 2, that would double his total to 4. It's past time for a signature win..

L LSU #7
L GT #25
L UF #1
L Bama #2
W Ole Miss #25

L Auburn #21
L LSU #15
W UF #22
L Bama #12
L Ark #13

L LSU #3
L SC #15
L Bama #3
L Arky #6

L Bama #1
L A&M #16
L LSU #7
L NW #20

L OSU #13
L LSU #10
L SC #14
L A&M #15
L Bama #1

HancockCountyDog
08-20-2014, 08:43 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1036752128/h98B4FC84/

HancockCountyDog
08-20-2014, 08:45 AM
All of them.

But even if he wins against ranked opponents his detractors will move the goalposts like they always do. In the end I'd like to see us get at least 8 wins in the regular season. I don't care how we get there.

8 wins will mean that we will lose 4 games between A&M, AU, Bears, AL, LSU. (assuming we beat UK, Vandy and Ark which we should be double digit favorites in each of those games).

Going 1-4 in that stretch is hard to say was a successful season considering all the experienced talent we have on both sides of the ball.

Coach34
08-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Top 25 when we played them or Top 25 in final rankings?

Johnson85
08-20-2014, 09:01 AM

He may only get 3 opportunities this year. Auburn, LSU, and Bama should be ranked. I sort of doubt Um is going to be ranked by the time we play them. Not sure what A&M's schedule is like but I could see them dropping out before they get to Starkville if they play anybody good before then.

So very likely, all Mullen needs to do to ensure that our fans are happy is go 2-0 against top ten teams, or go 1-1 against top 10 teams and then win at Redstick at night. Not sure why Mullen can't just take care of business and give fans what they want.

fishwater99
08-20-2014, 09:05 AM

All of these records vs the Top 25 are at the time we play them. (Saturday down South, USA Today and I, all do it that way)

MarketingBully01
08-20-2014, 09:31 AM

To tell you how rediculous this is, in a technical sense, Dan Mullen could go 9-3 with wins over A&M and LSU and still go 0-3 against ranked teams that finish in the top 25. With all the youth that both A&M and LSU have, it's entirely possible they don't finish in the top 25 at the end of the year.

Coach34
08-20-2014, 09:35 AM
I agree it's ridiculous

Mullen has beaten Auburn, Georgia, Cotton Bowl Ole Missus, and Florida. He certainly needs to beat another Big Boy this year- everybody agrees with that

FISHDAWG
08-20-2014, 09:37 AM
I swear we will beat Auburn

MarketingBully01
08-20-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm also sick of this "signature win" bull shit. Wouldn't you consider his first signature win was against Ole Miss his first year? I mean the previous year they only beat us 45-0 and we looked like a bunch of junior high school players in that game. What about the 10-7 win against Florida in The Swamp? I mean we hadn't won there in like 50 years or so...but don't worry Fishwater, he will get his "signature win" the fourth week against LSU in Death Valley. Book it.

DapperDawg
08-20-2014, 09:42 AM
I agree it's ridiculous

Mullen has beaten Auburn, Georgia, Cotton Bowl Ole Missus, and Florida. He certainly needs to beat another Big Boy this year- everybody agrees with that

Coach, in order to be objective, if you're going to say "Cotton Bowl Ole Missus," then you should also say a 2-win Auburn team, a 7-6 FL team, and a 6-7 UGA team. Those Auburn and Georgia teams were bad, so those aren't impressive wins. The Florida team was meh, so I don't think that's a good win. The 2009 Egg Bowl is arguably Mullen's best win. He desperately needs to grab a big win this season, and he should with the team he has. We just have to wait and see if he can get over the hump.

HoopsDawg
08-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Coach, in order to be objective, if you're going to say "Cotton Bowl Ole Missus," then you should also say a 2-win Auburn team, a 7-6 FL team, and a 6-7 UGA team. Those Auburn and Georgia teams were bad, so those aren't impressive wins. The Florida team was meh, so I don't think that's a good win. The 2009 Egg Bowl is arguably Mullen's best win. He desperately needs to grab a big win this season, and he should with the team he has. We just have to wait and see if he can get over the hump.

everyone agrees with that. But last year's win over AU wouldn't have been signature at the time. they were unranked. and low and behold they played for the national title. I consider blowing Michigan off the map as signature, but that's just me. No one disputes he needs to beat A&M and/or AU this year.

codeDawg
08-20-2014, 09:55 AM

The bottom line is we have not been any better than the teams we lost to. We also haven't dropped many where we were the better team. Beating a team better than you to say you have done it is a silly expectation. Is that what everybody is after? The surprise, out-of-nowhere win? How about we just expect to be good and beat teams that are not as good as us consistently?

This year we expect to be better than we have been in a long time. We expect to have a top-15 team. You can have 3 SEC losses and be #15. LSU was there at 14 with 3 losses last year. We may lose to Auburn, LSU, Alabama, or even UM this year. We are who we are, it just depends on how good those teams are. How about we expect to to be the best team we can be with what we have and the rest will work itself out.

fishwater99
08-20-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm also sick of this "signature win" bull shit. Wouldn't you consider his first signature win was against Ole Miss his first year? I mean the previous year they only beat us 45-0 and we looked like a bunch of junior high school players in that game. What about the 10-7 win against Florida in The Swamp? I mean we hadn't won there in like 50 years or so...but don't worry Fishwater, he will get his "signature win" the fourth week against LSU in Death Valley. Book it.

I sure hope your right.. We haven't beaten LSU since 1999 and the last win in BR was in 1991.

Reason2succeed
08-20-2014, 10:01 AM
in the LSU, Texas A&M, and Auburn stretch I hope we win all 3, believe we will win 2, will be upset if we only win 1, and will be devastated and calling for Mullen's head if we don't win any. (Why so high a standard? Because this is the opportunity. If we can't get it done now then when.)

Like someone else already said it is very likely that at the end of the season none of the teams we beat will be ranked. LSU will tank if we beat them, Texas A&M is already overrated, and Auburn will just be average if we beat them.

Alabama is our only real chance to beat a team that ends in the top 25.

OM will collapse LONG BEFORE we play them.

QuadrupleOption
08-20-2014, 11:04 AM
8 wins will mean that we will lose 4 games between A&M, AU, Bears, AL, LSU. (assuming we beat UK, Vandy and Ark which we should be double digit favorites in each of those games).

Going 1-4 in that stretch is hard to say was a successful season considering all the experienced talent we have on both sides of the ball.

8 wins is my baseline for not being pissed off about our season. I'm not spoiled enough to be mad about having a shot at a 9 win season (assuming bowl win).

If we win 9 or 10 I'll be happy. 11+ and I'll be ecstatic, and happily donate to the Dan Mullen statue fund.

Coach34
08-20-2014, 11:08 AM

I was completely objective:

We hadn't beaten Georgia in 40 years. That's a big win regardless of their record

We hadn't won in the Swamp since the 1960's- that's a signature win regardless of record

who gives a shit what Auburn's record was? It's Auburn

Coach34
08-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Hell, go back to 98 and 99- how many sig wins we get in those seasons? 2?

mic
08-20-2014, 11:11 AM
It is always going to something..
He can't recruit
He can't recruit a QB
He can't beat a ranked team
He can't beat a team from the west other than OM

How many coaches over the last 5 years HAVE NOT lost a game they were suppose to win..
CDM is one...
So once he beats a ranked team in the west it will be something else..

Coach34
08-20-2014, 11:17 AM
The goalposts will always move for Mullen- people have proven that the last 5 years

codeDawg
08-20-2014, 11:24 AM
The goalposts will always move for Mullen- people have proven that the last 5 years

The goalposts should move. I just don't understand why some people are trying to set them at 55 yards when we just started hitting 30 yarders consistently.

sandwolf
08-20-2014, 11:24 AM
....a 7-6 FL team......

Florida went 8-5 and finished 2nd in the East.

sandwolf
08-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Alabama is our only real chance to beat a team that ends in the top 25.

What?

bluelightstar
08-20-2014, 11:30 AM
How many coaches over the last 5 years HAVE NOT lost a game they were suppose to win..
CDM is one...
So once he beats a ranked team in the west it will be something else..

In fairness, he lost as a road favorite to Auburn in 2011, and I believe we might've been slight home favorites to Houston in '09. Thing is, I don't think that "doesn't lose games he's supposed to win" says a whole lot because we are typically favored to beat non-conference teams, Kentucky, and whoever on our schedule is historically bad that year...

Just saying -- not a real Mullen criticism, but an observation.

PMDawg
08-20-2014, 11:35 AM

L LSU #7
L GT #25
L UF #1
L Bama #2
W Ole Miss #25

L Auburn #21
L LSU #15
W UF #22
L Bama #12
L Ark #13

L LSU #3
L SC #15
L Bama #3
L Arky #6

L Bama #1
L A&M #16
L LSU #7
L NW #20

L OSU #13
L LSU #10
L SC #14
L A&M #15
L Bama #1

Really?! I had no idea! Why haven't you posted this information before now?

Political Hack
08-20-2014, 11:36 AM
he's beaten every sec team he's faced except for Bama and LSU, right?

Pollodawg
08-20-2014, 11:39 AM
he's beaten every sec team he's faced except for Bama and LSU, right?

And SC and TAMU.

Pollodawg
08-20-2014, 11:41 AM
The fact still remains that even if we eked out 11-2 in a dream scenario, there would be some asshat analyst on TV blaring that the "SEC was down. This State team isn't as good as its record." And loads of other shit. Then they'll inevitably refer to us as TSUN, and I'll put my remote through the TV.

BulldogBear
08-20-2014, 11:46 AM

Doesn't matter!! Like somebody said. The goalpost will be moved. If they're not in final top 25 our detractors won't "count" it. Example: TAMU is liable to be in top 25 when we play but they won't go bowling this year.

Coach34
08-20-2014, 11:48 AM
What's really at the crux of this is that Mullen has lost the close ones:

SC at home
LSU at home
Auburn at home
Auburn twice on the road

we all agree he needs another Auburn..or an LSU, A&M type of notch on his belt this year

Pollodawg
08-20-2014, 11:51 AM

SC at home
LSU at home
Auburn at home
Auburn twice on the road

we all agree he needs another Auburn..or an LSU, A&M type of notch on his belt this year

This. We will get over the hump against somebody this season. I can feel it.

fishwater99
08-20-2014, 12:48 PM

SC at home
LSU at home
Auburn at home
Auburn twice on the road

Well said C34.. And with a healthy DAK we should get a win or 2 over LSU, A&M or Auburn this year.

Lloyd Christmas
08-20-2014, 01:14 PM

SC at home
LSU at home
Auburn at home
Auburn twice on the road

This all day. I have seen so many close losses to good teams during Mullen's tenure. Time for him to win one. If he can't do it this year I fear he never will.

ETA: I agree with a previous poster that even if we went 11-2 there would be talking heads who would give us zero credit. All the others would call us Ole Miss.

HoopsDawg
08-20-2014, 01:21 PM

SC at home
LSU at home
Auburn at home
Auburn twice on the road

Don't forget Arkansas at home when Arkansas played in the Sugar Bowl. We win that game in OT if Ballard doesn't fumble.

Lloyd Christmas
08-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Don't forget Arkansas at home when Arkansas played in the Sugar Bowl. We win that game in OT if Ballard doesn't fumble.

Please don't bring that game up. It's hard to decide which loss was worse: That loss in double OT or the goalline loss to LSU in 09. I was present in the student section for both of those deflating defeats.

fishwater99
08-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Please don't bring that game up. It's hard to decide which loss was worse: That loss in double OT or the goalline loss to LSU in 09. I was present in the student section for both of those deflating defeats.

Pitch the damn ball Tyson Lee...

bluelightstar
08-20-2014, 02:09 PM

I think the gut punch against LSU was worse. We knew Arkansas would at least get the ball in OT -- the way we were moving the ball and the time on the clock, the student section was already pretty sure we were going to beat LSU. Rush the field plans were definitely being discussed.

LC Dawg
08-20-2014, 02:09 PM
The fact still remains that even if we eked out 11-2 in a dream scenario, there would be some asshat analyst on TV blaring that the "SEC was down. This State team isn't as good as its record." And loads of other shit. Then they'll inevitably refer to us as TSUN, and I'll put my remote through the TV.

And they'll probably be some asshat on here that bitches about how Mullen blew it in the two losses.

Johnson85
08-20-2014, 02:33 PM
And they'll probably be some asshat on here that bitches about how Mullen blew it in the two losses.

If we go 10-2 in teh regular season, Mullen might get credit, but if we go 9-3, you can bet your last dollar that somebody will be complaining that Mullen only beat teams that were bad or down. And even if we go 10-2, if we go 10-2 and A&M and Auburn both end up at 7-5 or 8-4, there will probably be somebody complaining that he only beat them because they were down. There are a certain number of fans that won't be happy until Mullen beats a team that ends up going to the playoffs.

M.Fillmore
08-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Saban needs a Signature national championship.***

Statefan
08-20-2014, 10:21 PM
This is such a dumb topic. No, we havent really upset a top team (yet) but more importantly, Mullen has developed a consistent, winning program. At MSU. With depth across our team a great recruiting class to come.

Since Mullen has been here, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, and other PROMINENT nationally-known schools have missed bowl games while we have been to 4 in a row while being in the toughest division in the country. No we are not a top 10 team, but we are getting the talent and experience to compete with the big boys slowly but surely

drunkernhelldawg
08-20-2014, 11:40 PM

That would be bad, but not as bad as our own fans doing the same once or twice in the past was.

Bothrops
08-21-2014, 02:07 AM
We beat A&M or we have a bad season, plain and simple. So we should be pumped when we host Aubie. If we beat Lsu, it will set us up to have an historical season.

Political Hack
08-21-2014, 07:01 AM
I think too many people forget where we were in th college football world just 6 years ago.

Alldawg
08-21-2014, 07:44 AM
I think too many people forget where we were in th college football world just 6 years ago.

They also forget how long it takes to build a program. Look at South Carolina as the blue print. They were bad before Ball Coach got there. It took him many years to build his program to a top ten level. If it takes a coach like him to do it, shouldn't it take DM at least that long to build one. For those saying that if he cant win 9/10 this year then he never will, I don't buy it. I will agree that after 5 or 6 years of building, there is no reason that you should not expect a bowl game every year and the 6/7 wins. The only way a coach should escape anything less would be total devastation on injuries like Florida had last year.

LC Dawg
08-21-2014, 07:56 AM

Exactly. I will be disappointed if we don't win 9 this year but I will still be happy that I don't have to drink myself into a coma because Maine beat us.

Lloyd Christmas
08-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Exactly. I will be disappointed if we don't win 9 this year but I will still be happy that I don't have to drink myself into a coma because Maine beat us.

I'm so happy that loss predates the start of my MSU Fanhood. That would have made me sick.

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm so happy that loss predates the start of my MSU Fanhood. That would have made me sick.

You're not a true MSU fan until you have had to drink yourself into a coma after an inexplicable loss - my first was 10/19/91 - a home loss to Memphis when we were 4-2. The Kang's first WTF loss!

Lloyd Christmas
08-21-2014, 08:34 AM
You're not a true MSU fan until you have had to drink yourself into a coma after an inexplicable loss - my first was 10/19/91 - a home loss to Memphis when we were 4-2. The Kang's first WTF loss!

My first drunken depressed stupor was LA Tech 08. 07 was my first year as a fan so I didn't understand how things were until the 08 season.

QuadrupleOption
08-21-2014, 08:39 AM
They also forget how long it takes to build a program. Look at South Carolina as the blue print. They were bad before Ball Coach got there. It took him many years to build his program to a top ten level. If it takes a coach like him to do it, shouldn't it take DM at least that long to build one. For those saying that if he cant win 9/10 this year then he never will, I don't buy it. I will agree that after 5 or 6 years of building, there is no reason that you should not expect a bowl game every year and the 6/7 wins. The only way a coach should escape anything less would be total devastation on injuries like Florida had last year.

I agree with your general idea but let's not forget that Lou Holtz built them up - went from 0-11 his first year to 9 wins, then settled into the 5-6 win range for most of his tenure.

Spurrier's spent the first 4 seasons with 7,8,6,7,7 (seems familiar) before hitting 9,11,11,11 the rest of the way. I think they'll take a small step back this year but he's definitely sustained that building process and had more success along the way.

fishwater99
08-21-2014, 08:51 AM

We can't live in the past with that we're just poor ole Mississippi State attitude.
MSU is in the SEC and are starting to receive some major $ for just being in the SEC. What are we doing with that money?
It's time to step up and beat a Big Boy in the SECW or we will always just be a 6 or 7 win team.
Some of you might be happy with that, but why should we not expect more form our coach in year 6.
Dan finally has "his QB" in DAK this year, it's Time... #doyouBelieve?

Coach34
08-21-2014, 08:55 AM

ugh- that was just a shitty, shitty day

Coach34
08-21-2014, 08:57 AM
We can't live in the past with that we're just poor ole Mississippi State attitude.
MSU is in the SEC and are starting to receive some major $ for just being in the SEC. What are we doing with that money?
It's time to step up and beat a Big Boy in the SECW or we will always just be a 6 or 7 win team.
Some of you might be happy with that, but why should we not expect more form our coach in year 6.
Dan finally has "his QB" in DAK this year, it's Time... #doyouBelieve?

everybody agrees we need to beat A&M and/or Auburn this year. If we don't- it will be very disappointing

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2014, 09:40 AM
ugh- that was just a shitty, shitty day

It definitely made many drink that night. My frat house courtyard looked like a landfill the next day. Even the can collectors who came by after parties were shaking their heads at the wasteland we left.

BulldogBear
08-21-2014, 09:48 AM
If we go 10-2 in teh regular season, Mullen might get credit, but if we go 9-3, you can bet your last dollar that somebody will be complaining that Mullen only beat teams that were bad or down. And even if we go 10-2, if we go 10-2 and A&M and Auburn both end up at 7-5 or 8-4, there will probably be somebody complaining that he only beat them because they were down. There are a certain number of fans that won't be happy until Mullen beats a team that ends up going to the playoffs.

...and they play right into the Ole Miss - influenced media's hands

BulldogBear
08-21-2014, 09:52 AM

1992 - LSU 24, MSU 3

Worst (2-9) team in LSU history. WT17? I had gone to an Ole Miss-Tulane game with my UM student girlfriend and was listening to the 4th quarter of our game on a radio as we walked back to the car. I ended up throwing it across the grove. Sigh, I wonder if it's still buried there somewhere.

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2014, 10:17 AM
1992 - LSU 24, MSU 3

Worst (2-9) team in LSU history. WT17? I had gone to an Ole Miss-Tulane game with my UM student girlfriend and was listening to the 4th quarter of our game on a radio as we walked back to the car. I ended up throwing it across the grove. Sigh, I wonder if it's still buried there somewhere.
About half way through the 3rd quarter of that game, the 4 year old of the family with season tixs in front of ours looked up at his dad and said "Daddy, why do they keep saying Tiger first down?" He shook his head and said "Son, that's just Mississippi State football."