PDA

View Full Version : New Baseball Commit!!

MsStateBaseball
08-19-2014, 09:57 PM
2016 LHP Walker Robbins of Lucedale. 6-2 180

Todd4State
08-19-2014, 10:22 PM
We may have recruited him as a pitcher, but he is also a pretty decent hitter as well. He hit like .385 as a sophomore with a home run. He also had 32 K's in 27 IP.

He's probably related to Mason Robbins, and I think he has a bunch of cousins they play baseball at George County too.

ShotgunDawg
08-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Here is a big one:

User Actions
Following

Kendall Rogers
‏@KendallRogersPG
Gotta love rivalries. LHP Trysten Barlow, a T500 prospect, RHP Gray Fenter, ranked 55 nationally, decommit from #OleMiss, visiting #MSState.

MsStateBaseball
08-19-2014, 10:48 PM
If we get Barlow and Fenton we are top 5 class no doubt. Stud pitching class. Killer decommits for ole miss. Oh well..

ShotgunDawg
08-19-2014, 10:50 PM
If we get Barlow and Fenton we are top 5 class no doubt. Stud pitching class. Killer decommits for ole miss. Oh well..

Fenter and Austin Riley on the mound for Friday/Saturday isn't fair. Both Under Armour All Americans

smootness
08-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Wow, decommits are incredibly rare in college baseball. And they don't continue to be recruited, so this is a decision they made totally on their own.

maroonmania
08-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Maybe the new stadium layout is already paying dividends.

AlSwearengen
08-19-2014, 11:04 PM
where are barlow and fenter from? Class of 2015?

ShotgunDawg
08-19-2014, 11:06 PM
where are barlow and fenter from? Class of 2015?

Barlow is from North of Memphis about an hour, and Fenter is from West Memphis, AR. Fenter is the main attraction here. One of the top high school pitchers in the country.

Todd4State
08-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Barlow is from North of Memphis about an hour, and Fenter is from West Memphis, AR. Fenter is the main attraction here. One of the top high school pitchers in the country.

Yep. We're talking potential first round guy with Fenter. Barlow is a solid D-I prospect as well.

Todd4State
08-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Maybe the new stadium layout is already paying dividends.

Fenter and Barlow play on Dulin's Dodgers with Riley, Keegan James, and several of our commits. I'm sure they were showing pictures to their summer ball teammates.

Todd4State
08-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Here's some video of Gray Fenter this month hitting 94.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd2DoRb9fCc

Todd4State
08-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Here's an article about Trysten Barlow. He was also a high school teammate of Paxton Stover, who is a freshman for us this year. The article is mistaken when it says that he has signed a LOI with Mississippi. He can't sign one with anyone until November.

http://www.stategazette.com/story/2099159.html

messageboardsuperhero
08-20-2014, 12:11 AM
Chase Barham seems to think that the Dulin transfer is causing these guys to decommit.

Whatever it is- I'd love to have Fenter. He's got an electric arm. Trysten Barlow would just add to an already sick group of lefties that we'll have coming through the line from 2015-2017. Robbins also seems like a good pickup from what I've seen.

The Federalist Engineer
08-20-2014, 06:43 AM
Great news, thanks for keeping up with these details

starkvegasdawg
08-20-2014, 06:53 AM
Here is a big one:

User Actions
Following

Kendall Rogers
‏@KendallRogersPG
Gotta love rivalries. LHP Trysten Barlow, a T500 prospect, RHP Gray Fenter, ranked 55 nationally, decommit from #OleMiss, visiting #MSState.

But...but...but I thought that TSUN had the best facilities in the whole universe for baseball. That's all you ever hear them talking about. And Yancy says we're just trying to keep up with them and we'll never get our new field built. And...and...and they played in the CWS for the first time in a generation. and beer showers Best tradition in college baseball. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sorry bears. One good year in half a century won't cut it. You sure look small in our rearview mirror. And for the record...that's what she said too.

engie
08-20-2014, 07:24 AM
How things have gone for them since Godwin left should be a clear indication of who was actually building that team on the recruiting trail IMO, which I feel like we already knew. I may be proven wrong over time -- but the new Mike Clement hire had a lot more of a Reinstetle/Mossberg feel compared to a Godwin/McDonnell feel...

MsStateBaseball
08-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Engie, I think he was on a big time hot seat before the season-Bianco, not after a fleeting success, it has taken a nose dive. I think next year they might just be above a .500 club, then with these recruits leaving, he might be gone soon. Of course, I want him to stay bc he is incompetant to me.

HancockCountyDog
08-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Chase Barham seems to think that the Dulin transfer is causing these guys to decommit.

Whatever it is- I'd love to have Fenter. He's got an electric arm. Trysten Barlow would just add to an already sick group of lefties that we'll have coming through the line from 2015-2017. Robbins also seems like a good pickup from what I've seen.

This is payback for not playing the Dulin kid more than they did. Expect Dulin to screw over the bears as much as possible. This is extremely good news for our program.

messageboardsuperhero
08-20-2014, 09:12 AM
It would be great if we could make another run at Dallas Woolfolk now. He's really the only in-state player for 2015 I want that we don't already have.

One thing seems pretty evident though- UM is going to have to change how they recruit a little bit going forward. Dulin's teams get pretty much all the best local talent, so Bianco better try and mend that bridge before it gets totally burnt and forces him to recruit more out of the area. I know UM and MSU both recruit nationally for baseball, but you can't just cut off the talent from your home base and expect to be okay.

It'll be very interesting to see how UM's 2016 Dulin commits respond- because there's a few good ones that we might be able to get now.

ETA- Also, I would have liked Gene Wood as well for 2015. Other than him and Woolfolk going to Bama and UM respectively, it was pretty much a clean sweep for us this year in state- at least as far as the best talent goes.

MsStateBaseball
08-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Guys, we are about to be very very good. You are about to see wonders. Our teams over the next few years will have the most talent I have seen in a long time. And with the new stadium coming, I predict we will have 20 mill pretty soon, we are about to explode. If we don't win the NC in the next few years, something is wrong.

HailState13
08-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Watched them pitch all summer! Both are as solid as can be. Barlow is a crafty lefty with good movement and Velo low 90's upper 80's. Fenter is a strong righty 90-94 touched 97 with good stuff, he needs to work on his move to the plate in stretch with runners on but he is a bulldog on the mound. Barlow was at the east coast pro and pitched two or three good innings. I know for a fact the Dulin boys and the Dulin dad's have worked on these two all summer and the interest was there so for them to decommit is a big plus. The State kids on the team and those two are great friends now. The only worry State might have is if they go the Juco route because the pro scouts are telling them to so they can draft them after a year or two. If we get them on campus for a visit it could be big for the good guys!

trob115
08-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Guys, we are about to be very very good. You are about to see wonders. Our teams over the next few years will have the most talent I have seen in a long time. And with the new stadium coming, I predict we will have 20 mill pretty soon, we are about to explode. If we don't win the NC in the next few years, something is wrong.
According to a guy who is pretty close to the fundraising, we have already had over 20 mil pledged for this new stadium. He said he expects construction to start day 1 after this upcoming season.

engie
08-20-2014, 09:44 AM
According to a guy who is pretty close to the fundraising, we have already had over 20 mil pledged for this new stadium. He said he expects construction to start day 1 after this upcoming season.

Same I've heard. Strick is just milking it for all it's worth. The more in private donations, the less he has to actually invest on bonding seating PSLs or coming out of pocket with another $20 mil, and the quicker it's profitable to the athletics dept.

MsStateBaseball
08-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Oh, I wouldn't doubt we already have it. We could start on some things this fall. I can't wait to get rid of that cement thing.

maroonmania
08-20-2014, 09:56 AM

Wow, great news. I was thinking we likely wouldn't move on this until after the 2016 season. Pretty incredible to think this could be the final season in the current PDS.

messageboardsuperhero
08-20-2014, 09:57 AM

But Yancy said it will never be built.***

Seriously, I figured we already had pretty close to that already pledged as soon as it was announced that we needed $20 million up front. From having talked to him before and recognizing how cautious he is about stuff like this, Stricklin isn't going to announce a project that ambitious/expensive without knowing good and well where the lion's share of that money is coming from before hand.

messageboardsuperhero
08-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Watched them pitch all summer! Both are as solid as can be. Barlow is a crafty lefty with good movement and Velo low 90's upper 80's. Fenter is a strong righty 90-94 touched 97 with good stuff, he needs to work on his move to the plate in stretch with runners on but he is a bulldog on the mound. Barlow was at the east coast pro and pitched two or three good innings. I know for a fact the Dulin boys and the Dulin dad's have worked on these two all summer and the interest was there so for them to decommit is a big plus. The State kids on the team and those two are great friends now. The only worry State might have is if they go the Juco route because the pro scouts are telling them to so they can draft them after a year or two. If we get them on campus for a visit it could be big for the good guys!

According to Kendall Rogers, they're on campus right now.

HailState13
08-20-2014, 10:04 AM
I think they will actually be there tomorrow but either way it is GREAT news!

ScottH
08-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Not disputing what you were told just adding to it.

I was told we had verbal commitments for between 4mm and 5mm as of last Friday.

Obviously that's a few days ago so things could change significantly in that time.

maroonmania
08-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Not disputing what you were told just adding to it.

I was told we had verbal commitments for between 4mm and 5mm as of last Friday.

Obviously that's a few days ago so things could change significantly in that time.

Times like this is where it would have been really nice not to have pissed off John Grisham.

Todd4State
08-20-2014, 11:51 AM
This is payback for not playing the Dulin kid more than they did. Expect Dulin to screw over the bears as much as possible. This is extremely good news for our program.

If he really wants to make a statement, he should get Grae Kessinger and Thomas Dilliard to flip to us. That would be epic.

Todd4State
08-20-2014, 12:00 PM
It would be great if we could make another run at Dallas Woolfolk now. He's really the only in-state player for 2015 I want that we don't already have.

One thing seems pretty evident though- UM is going to have to change how they recruit a little bit going forward. Dulin's teams get pretty much all the best local talent, so Bianco better try and mend that bridge before it gets totally burnt and forces him to recruit more out of the area. I know UM and MSU both recruit nationally for baseball, but you can't just cut off the talent from your home base and expect to be okay.

It'll be very interesting to see how UM's 2016 Dulin commits respond- because there's a few good ones that we might be able to get now.

ETA- Also, I would have liked Gene Wood as well for 2015. Other than him and Woolfolk going to Bama and UM respectively, it was pretty much a clean sweep for us this year in state- at least as far as the best talent goes.

The impact would be big in Memphis as well. Maybe even moreso than in Mississippi. If we own Mississippi AND Memphis- look out.

But I do agree- I would like to flip Wood, but it's not likely to happen. Woolfork is good, but I think he is more of a relief guy in college. His delivery is pretty funky.

There is a player from Morton that I like named Luke Craig that is under the radar- but he dominated his league last year. Plus, he has SEC size- 6'2". Another player to watch is Spencer Kayten from Purvis. He's a little bit raw as a player and I have some concerns about his arm strength. He might be OK if he plays first base.

TrueMaroon
08-20-2014, 12:47 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/gqWFQsqWXktGg/giphy.gif

SouthMsDawg
08-20-2014, 01:14 PM
My only concern is how many of these commits are going to be drafted and take the money? Ive already heard that Riley, Mangum, Marerro, Colorado kid, Georgia Pitcher are all likely to get drafted very high.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2014, 01:16 PM
My only concern is how many of these commits are going to be drafted and take the money? Ive already heard that Riley, Mangum, Marerro, Colorado kid, Georgia Pitcher are all likely to get drafted very high.

Riley and Colorado kid (Pickett) are the only concerns that I am aware of. If Fenter was to commit, that could be interesting as well.

MsStateBaseball
08-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Getting back to Walker Robbins, he is ranked 136 in 2016 class. Not bad. Yes, next June, we will be quite busy keeping up with our signees. Been a long time...

Todd4State
08-20-2014, 01:35 PM

Georgia pitcher? You might be thinking of Mitchell Miller who is a 2016 player. He is likely coming to school and will be a two year guy.

Marrero is probably going to school. Mangum is coming to school.

The only draft concerns I have right now in order are Pickett, Riley, Fenter, and then maybe Parker Ford if he has a really good year in high school. But as of now, I suspect he will come to school.

messageboardsuperhero
08-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Riley and Colorado kid (Pickett) are the only concerns that I am aware of. If Fenter was to commit, that could be interesting as well.

We have five commits for 2015 right now who I'd consider serious draft risks (Riley, Pickett, Padgett, Marerro, and Ford)- and should Fenter commit, he'd make number six. Keep half or more of those six, and it's a very successful class.

There are several more of our commits who are definitely good enough to be drafted high and go pro, but those would be the main six who are really elite. I feel pretty good about keeping everyone else- other than those six.

messageboardsuperhero
08-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Georgia pitcher? You might be thinking of Mitchell Miller who is a 2016 player. He is likely coming to school and will be a two year guy.

Marrero is probably going to school. Mangum is coming to school.

The only draft concerns I have right now in order are Pickett, Riley, Fenter, and then maybe Parker Ford if he has a really good year in high school. But as of now, I suspect he will come to school.

You feel better about Marrero than I do. I know his size is an issue, but it seems to me that a lot of those guys who have MLB pedigree in their family usually give pro ball a good hard look coming out of high school.

Personally, I'd put our chances at 50/50 with Marrero. I'd love to have him here though. He could benefit big time from playing, IMO.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2014, 01:45 PM
We have five commits for 2015 right now who I'd consider serious draft risks (Riley, Pickett, Padgett, Marerro, and Ford)- and should Fenter commit, he'd make number six. Keep half or more of those six, and it's a very successful class.

There are several more of our commits who are definitely good enough to be drafted high and go pro, but those would be the main six who are really elite. I feel pretty good about keeping everyone else- other than those six.

You've kind of hit the nail on the head here. The key to getting commits from draft risk players, is to commit a bunch of them and lesson your risk. If you get commit 6 or 7 of them, and you lose 4, you still get 2 or 3 on campus. Those two or 3 players can then be your Friday night guy & 3 hole hitter. Thus taking you to the next level as a team.

Todd4State
08-20-2014, 03:46 PM
You feel better about Marrero than I do. I know his size is an issue, but it seems to me that a lot of those guys who have MLB pedigree in their family usually give pro ball a good hard look coming out of high school.

Personally, I'd put our chances at 50/50 with Marrero. I'd love to have him here though. He could benefit big time from playing, IMO.

It's not about his size. He can play. He is an alternate for Team USA, was on the PG AA Game and he has a MLB background.

The reason I feel good about him is because rumor is his Dad wants him to play college baseball.

messageboardsuperhero
08-20-2014, 03:58 PM
It's not about his size. He can play. He is an alternate for Team USA, was on the PG AA Game and he has a MLB background.

The reason I feel good about him is because rumor is his Dad wants him to play college baseball.

Ah, I hadn't heard that one yet. If true, that would definitely bode well for us.

Also, I have no doubt that Marrero can play. He's a stud.

Homedawg
08-20-2014, 03:59 PM

As of now his family really wants him to come to school. He lived the big league life and they want him in college for 3 years.
Sorry I didn't see Todd's post above. Yes this is true. Not a rumor.

engie
08-20-2014, 04:09 PM
The more of them that come, the more likely it is to have a domino effect with other ones where they just say screw it, I'll get paid in 3 years after having a tremendous college experience and trying to win a meaningful title...

Todd4State
08-20-2014, 04:18 PM
The more of them that come, the more likely it is to have a domino effect with other ones where they just say screw it, I'll get paid in 3 years after having a tremendous college experience and trying to win a meaningful title...

In a stadium that is a heck of a lot nicer than the one in Broken Nose Falls, Montana.

Not to mention be around hordes of hot college women.

KB21
08-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Here is an article that Matt Garrioch wrote for minorleagueball.com about the high school all star games (UA and PG).

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/8/20/6047069/2015-mlb-draft-the-perfect-game-and-under-armour-all-american-games

Gray Fenter has some of the best stuff in the Wrigley game. He can hit 94 and has an excellent breaking ball. He will be a high pick unless something goes awry.

If we come away with Fenter and get these guys on campus, the sky is the limit.