PDA

View Full Version : Football offense strategy question

Todd4State
08-18-2014, 09:22 PM
One thing I know about play calling is that coaches consider which hash they are on or if their are in the middle of the field when they make a play call.

So, my question for anyone coaches, fans, and TUSK is what kind of offensive plays are good to run to the short side of the field when you are on the hash and what kind of plays are good to run to the wide side of the field when you are on the hash?

And maybe along with that, what kind of plays are good to run when you have the ball in the middle of the field?

War Machine Dawg
08-18-2014, 09:32 PM
We'll do what we did last year: Line up in the Pistol and let Dak run it to where we want the ball. I know that's probably not the technical analysis you're looking for, but it's what I expect us to do. We aren't going to risk a fumble on the exchange and Dak is beast enough to get it wherever the K wants it.

CadaverDawg
08-18-2014, 09:33 PM
I would think a weak counter would be a good run to the short side of the field because the D will likely play strong to the wide side. That's all I've got.

Todd4State
08-18-2014, 09:46 PM
We'll do what we did last year: Line up in the Pistol and let Dak run it to where we want the ball. I know that's probably not the technical analysis you're looking for, but it's what I expect us to do. We aren't going to risk a fumble on the exchange and Dak is beast enough to get it wherever the K wants it.

I was thinking more like in general rather than what we would do if we were about to kick a game winning field goal or something.

Like counter to the short side, option to the wide side, etc.

Coach34
08-18-2014, 09:55 PM
One thing I know about play calling is that coaches consider which hash they are on or if their are in the middle of the field when they make a play call.

So, my question for anyone coaches, fans, and TUSK is what kind of offensive plays are good to run to the short side of the field when you are on the hash and what kind of plays are good to run to the wide side of the field when you are on the hash?

And maybe along with that, what kind of plays are good to run when you have the ball in the middle of the field?

For me personally, and I assume most playcallers- they love the wideside. I had to really watch myself to make sure I didnt get too predictable with wideside calls. I loved to run the counter and the midline to the shortside- but would also run the toss to the short side just to break tendency.

Most guys worry about down and distance more than which hash they are on- but you will catch yourself saying "we're on the hash, cant run that right here. Let's set it up better"...