PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Jiles

Covercorner2
08-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Sorry if Germans, but looks like Cedric is having surgery. Not sure what for, but I assume he will be out a while..

Glad we have depth at corner

Bo Darville
08-18-2014, 06:31 PM
I know he hurt a hamstring and was going to be out about 6 weeks. Don't know about surgery.

War Machine Dawg
08-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Honestly, I think Jiles' future is at safety. I just haven't been that impressed with him at CB. Seems to lack the speed and quickness needed to be elite there. But he's got the size to excel at S. And he's a JR this year, so it's time to move him if we're going to do it.

maroonmania
08-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Honestly, I think Jiles' future is at safety. I just haven't been that impressed with him at CB. Seems to lack the speed and quickness needed to be elite there. But he's got the size to excel at S. And he's a JR this year, so it's time to move him if we're going to do it.

You may be right. While coaches give him good reviews at CB, he certainly seems to get beat a lot in games.

Bo Darville
08-18-2014, 07:43 PM
And he's a JR this year, so it's time to move him if we're going to do it.

Jiles is a sophomore, not a junior. He's already been awarded a medical redshirt for his first season despite playing in 3 games.

CadaverDawg
08-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Jiles is a sophomore, not a junior. He's already been awarded a medical redshirt for his first season despite playing in 3 games.

Yep.

War Machine Dawg
08-18-2014, 09:26 PM

Ahhh, didn't realize that. Excellent news. I remembered him playing, but hadn't heard anything about a med-shirt. Still want to see him move to S. I think he'd be a badass back there as a roaming center fielder type FS.

Todd4State
08-18-2014, 09:47 PM
You may be right. While coaches give him good reviews at CB, he certainly seems to get beat a lot in games.

The guy has barely played since he has been here. I just don't see how you could say that.

CadaverDawg
08-18-2014, 09:52 PM
The guy has barely played since he has been here. I just don't see how you could say that.

I don't either. I see tons of our fans jumping the gun on our players. It's crazy. Jiles got hurt early last year and got a med redshirt....he only played in a few early games for the most part the year before.

Yet our fans have already said he, Jake Thomas, Devin Desper, and a few others should be doing more. Makes no sense.

Hell, Jiles was a good recruit, but he was only a mid 3 star coming out of Clinton High. It was pretty well known that he has the work ethic and talent to be a stud, but it wasn't going to happen his first year. We gotta start giving these guys a chance to succeed before throwing out "disappointment" and similar words IMO.

Not piling on maroonmania, bc he hasn't said anything other than this one comment, but others have.

FISHDAWG
08-19-2014, 09:21 AM
I don't either. I see tons of our fans jumping the gun on our players. It's crazy. Jiles got hurt early last year and got a med redshirt....he only played in a few early games for the most part the year before.

Yet our fans have already said he, Jake Thomas, Devin Desper, and a few others should be doing more. Makes no sense.

Hell, Jiles was a good recruit, but he was only a mid 3 star coming out of Clinton High. It was pretty well known that he has the work ethic and talent to be a stud, but it wasn't going to happen his first year. We gotta start giving these guys a chance to succeed before throwing out "disappointment" and similar words IMO.

Not piling on maroonmania, bc he hasn't said anything other than this one comment, but others have.

I tried but it wont let me award rep points to this statement - very very well said Cad

maroonmania
08-19-2014, 08:29 PM

Well the TD play we lost the Auburn game on last year certainly stands out but there have been others that I remember as well. Probably shouldn't have said "a lot" but what little I've seen him even when he played even as a true freshman before getting hurt he didn't overly impress me at corner. Wasn't in any way downing the guy just agreeing that he might actually be better at safety.

smootness
08-19-2014, 08:45 PM
I thought Jiles looked very, very good in the limited playing time he got as a true freshman. I think he's a CB all the way.

maroonmania
08-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Well did anyone figure out if he's actually having surgery? Didn't think a hamstring injury would normally require surgery.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-19-2014, 09:17 PM
He had surgery on a tendon in his quad.

Todd4State
08-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Well the TD play we lost the Auburn game on last year certainly stands out but there have been others that I remember as well. Probably shouldn't have said "a lot" but what little I've seen him even when he played even as a true freshman before getting hurt he didn't overly impress me at corner. Wasn't in any way downing the guy just agreeing that he might actually be better at safety.

That's more Dan's fault when we had Love, Calhoun, and Cox at the time at CB last year. And let's not forget that Giles "pushed" the guy OOB on a fairly questionable call by the replay official.

EAVdog
08-19-2014, 09:34 PM

We're becoming spoiled expecting kids to walk right in and be awesome like Chris Jones. I think Jiles gave up the TD in the Auburn game so our fans went bananas on the guy. Got nasty on twitter etc... But he wasn't responsible for that shit-tastic D we were playing on that last drive.

Todd4State
08-19-2014, 09:50 PM
We're becoming spoiled expecting kids to walk right in and be awesome like Chris Jones. I think Jiles gave up the TD in the Auburn game so our fans went bananas on the guy. Got nasty on twitter etc... But he wasn't responsible for that shit-tastic D we were playing on that last drive.

I think MSU fans are some of the worst at realizing that most players DEVELOP over time and are going to be better as upper classmen than they are as freshmen.

Heck, some high school kids have trouble adjusting to going from high school to college in general- much less have to adjust to playing SEC football on top of everything else.

War Machine Dawg
08-19-2014, 10:18 PM
To be fair, I'm not basing what I'm seeing off any one particular play. Hell, I had completely forgotten Jiles was in coverage on the Auburn TD pass. At the time, I put that loss squarely on Mullen for going conservative with the lead and Collins for going prevent. Still do, for that matter. Hard for me to blame the D, especially one particular player, when they were put in a bad situation from the beginning.

That said, I just think Jiles is a little bit stiff and maybe a half step slow to be a CB. But he's physical as hell, which you gotta love. I just think he projects better as a S than a CB. But as others have pointed out, he's still got plenty of time to develop. And that's especially true if he missed most of his freshman year with injury and didn't get to practice. But when I look at him, I have visions of a badass ball hawking S. Still plenty of time for him to make the jump as a CB, though.