PDA

View Full Version : One thing people need to understand about OL play

Coach34
08-18-2014, 12:18 PM
As I was talking to someone this morning- we both hit on the fact that the average fan doesn't really understand how we block upfront. We run a zone blocking scheme for our plays- so you can't compare us to Bama or LSU who run plays out if I-formation and do more "power blocking" at the POA

if you will watch our OL- we take a zone step to either side as our 1st step- we are trying to Hook, Reach, or Climb (whatever descriptive word your coach used) our guy to the play side to cut him off and seal him. This is what creates gaps in the defense for our RB's to slide thru. We aren't trying to drive them backwards as much as we are trying to seal them and create an opening. As we seal, we do try to get push with our G's as much as we can- but sealing is what has to happen to create the hole.

Now we do block down play side when we run the Counter- and then pull the backside. We are looking to get push on the Counter at the POA. But on the option plays, inside and outside zones- we are looking to seal more than push.

Bama, LSU, and other I-based teams are looking to push at the POA while they zone block the backside a lot. Different type of philosophy for running plays.

DanDority
08-18-2014, 12:24 PM
O.k, what is your point?

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2014, 12:28 PM
I think we are going to need to see comparisons of the two offenses with Xs and Os on a board.

http://bradleystevenson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/football.jpg

Coach34
08-18-2014, 12:29 PM
O.k, what is your point?

Anybody that says "we don't get any push upfront" literally has zero understanding of what our OL is trying to accomplish

Bully041184
08-18-2014, 12:48 PM
I think we are going to need to see comparisons of the two offenses with Xs and Os on a board.

http://bradleystevenson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/football.jpg

I was about to ask for a diagram...thank you.

DanDority
08-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Anybody that says "we don't get any push upfront" literally has zero understanding of what our OL is trying to accomplish

I got you, thanks Coach.