PDA

View Full Version : OL rumblings

Coach34
08-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Hearing Desper has been the big surprise of camp. As Dave Wommack would say-" his nuts have dropped"....

Dillon Day could make line calls with his eyes closed- he takes total control out there

freshmen Calhoun and Jenkins are gonna be ready to play next year- whether they play any this year or not

messageboardsuperhero
08-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Heard anything about Kent Flowers or Cole Carter?

I'm happy to hear about Desper. He could be the third guard behind Beckwith and Clayborn if Malone moves to RT.

Goat Holder
08-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Still think we need extra JUCO help next fall in order for Prescott to avoid the QB curse. Malone and Clayborn will be the only proven commodities back. Here's to hoping Senior, Desper, Calhoun and Jenkins grow up fast. Where's Johnson in all this? Warren, Carter, Flowers and Thomas should be able to contribute too. Warren needs to be an X-factor.

2015 outlook:
Seniors: Malone, Warren, Johnson (if he doesn't redshirt)
Juniors: Clayborn, Desper, Carter
Sophomores: Flowers, Thomas
RFreshmen: Calhoun, Jenkins, Cochran
Freshmen: Douren, Moon, Champion

We need at least 2 more in this class, one HS and one JUCO. We'll need a JUCO the following year too. Really wished we had signed one more in that 2013 class, like Deon Mix.

jumbo
08-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Johnson didn't come in 100% so he's going to RS...at least I think that's the plan.

Carter is working at 2nd team LT I believe

FISHDAWG
08-18-2014, 10:27 AM
who backs up Dillion and takes over his position for next year ?

bulldawg28
08-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Hearing Desper has been the big surprise of camp. As Dave Wommack would say-" his nuts have dropped"....

Dillon Day could make line calls with his eyes closed- he takes total control out there

freshmen Calhoun and Jenkins are gonna be ready to play next year- whether they play any this year or not

Nut droppings are always great.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2014, 10:29 AM
who backs up Dillion and takes over his position for next year ?

My guess is Clayborn. He was recruited as a center but was just too good to keep off the field somewhere.

Irondawg
08-18-2014, 10:33 AM
That's some great news on Jenkins. We have to start deveoping some guys that can start at T.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Moon or Champion either one could play LT. At Big Dawg Moon took all his reps at LT while Champion took all his at RT. I don't know if that was Hev's doing or not but was interesting.

Coach34
08-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Clayborn would be most likely candidate so as to not put All the line calls on a young guy like Calhoun.

But I'm not really worried about 2015- this season is what is important. Glad to see Desper step up and give us another able body upfront

deltadawg99
08-18-2014, 10:49 AM
So if Johnson is going to RS, would Justin Senior and Jake Thomas be your 1st and 2nd string RT?

engie
08-18-2014, 10:54 AM
So if Johnson is going to RS, would Justin Senior and Jake Thomas be your 1st and 2nd string RT?

Rufus Warren is "2nd team RT". In reality, that position probably would either go to Carter or Malone if it became meaningful though. As of now, Jake is still learning at OG...

HoopsDawg
08-18-2014, 11:00 AM

No. Jake Thomas is at guard and he's going to stay there. Our 3rd tackle right now is either Carter or Warren.

Big4Dawg
08-18-2014, 11:03 AM
I still think they starting will be:

LT: Clausell – Sr.
LG: Clayborn – So.
C: Day – Sr.
RG: Malone – Jr.
RT: Senior – So.

HancockCountyDog
08-18-2014, 11:17 AM
No. Jake Thomas is at guard and he's going to stay there. Our 3rd tackle right now is either Carter or Warren.

This is why posters like myself and Engie weren't as thrilled as everyone else about Robinson's injury. No one was saying he was good. He was decent depth. Carter and Warren have done little to nothing at OT so far in their careers.

HancockCountyDog
08-18-2014, 11:18 AM

I think everyone agrees that they are the best five on the roster, with Beckwith being the swing guard. We simply can't afford another injury on the OL.

engie
08-18-2014, 11:19 AM
This is why posters like myself and Engie weren't as thrilled as everyone else about Robinson's injury. No one was saying he was good. He was decent depth. Carter and Warren have done little to nothing at OT so far in their careers.

Carter is going to be good. Was arguably our second best tackle in the spring above Senior. He hasn't "done much" because he hasn't been around long enough yet IMO. We'll see a lot of him this year though...

HoopsDawg
08-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Carter is going to be good. We'll see a lot of him this year though...

Only in blowouts.

HancockCountyDog
08-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Carter is going to be good. Was arguably our second best tackle in the spring above Senior. He hasn't "done much" because he hasn't been around long enough yet IMO. We'll see a lot of him this year though...

Only in blowouts.

I hope you are both right, lol.

Barking 13

Following in the footsteps of his high school buddy, Derek Sherrod.....

Coach34

They may not have done much in their careers to this point- but they had already passed Robinson on depth chart

UMCDawg16
08-18-2014, 11:28 AM
This is why posters like myself and Engie weren't as thrilled as everyone else about Robinson's injury .

Do what? Tell us again who is thrilled that Damian tore his ACL?

Coach34
08-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Warren is supposedly the swing OT right now, but Carter is playing well in back-up role.

J. Johnson looking ok also- but the plan is to still RS him because we have a solid 8-9 guys we are happy with

Coach34
08-18-2014, 11:34 AM

nobody is "thrilled" and they know it...but the reality of it is that instead of Damien taking 3rd string reps- it will now be a Freshman or JJohnson getting them to get ready for next year

justwin
08-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Me too as I like our best OL, Malone, @ RG for traps, inside power runs, etc. I think Beckwith & Clayborn split reps @ LG to round out our top 6. I think Blaine, Dillon, and Justin will play every snap at these positions with 4 guys platooning @ LG & RT.

LT: Blaine, Carter whom I didn't realize was that tall @ 6'6" 295
LG: Ben & Jamaal
C: Dillon & I guess Archie, maybe Devon
RG: Justin, Devon, Jocquell, Kent
RT: Senior & Rufus & Jake (the recent scout article sounds promising as the former 4 star says he's completely changed his body in the last year).

That's 14 returning OL excluding 3 true freshman so I think we're going to be ok especially with a mobile QB.

justwin
08-18-2014, 11:36 AM
nice. Good to hear about Jenkins. His HS video showed a very athletic DL so I'm thinking he has the ability, just needs to bulk up and get coached. Hopefully, he has a Banks & Taveze type career.

justwin
08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I had hoped we would've gotten something from Robinson over 5 years. oh well.

They may not have done much in their careers to this point- but they had already passed Robinson on depth chart

justwin
08-18-2014, 11:40 AM
If they could make Carmon a LT, then can get something out of Rufus. After watching the spring game, Rufus' stood out to me to the point where I had to lookup his jersey number and was pleasantly surprised.

[QUOTE=Coach34;228752]Warren is supposedly the swing OT right now, but Carter is playing well in back-up role.

Coach34
08-18-2014, 11:41 AM
I think everyone agrees that they are the best five on the roster, with Beckwith being the swing guard. We simply can't afford another injury on the OL.

Thats not true about injury

we have 4 guards, 3 OT's, and a C we are happy with...then add Cartwr at OT who is a capable back-up
Also there is Johnson who could play if pressed

Day needs to stay healthy- but even then Beckwith could slide there and we would survive

HoopsDawg
08-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Thats not true about injury

we have 4 guards, 3 OT's, and a C we are happy with...then add Cartwr at OT who is a capable back-up
Also there is Johnson who could play if pressed

Day needs to stay healthy- but even then Beckwith could slide there and we would survive

Clausell would be the killer injury.

1bigdawg
08-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Still think we need extra JUCO help next fall in order for Prescott to avoid the QB curse. Malone and Clayborn will be the only proven commodities back. Here's to hoping Senior, Desper, Calhoun and Jenkins grow up fast. Where's Johnson in all this? Warren, Carter, Flowers and Thomas should be able to contribute too. Warren needs to be an X-factor.

2015 outlook:
Seniors: Malone, Warren, Johnson (if he doesn't redshirt)
Juniors: Clayborn, Desper, Carter,Senior
Sophomores: Flowers, Thomas
RFreshmen: Calhoun, Jenkins, Cochran
Freshmen: Douren, Moon, Champion

We need at least 2 more in this class, one HS and one JUCO. We'll need a JUCO the following year too. Really wished we had signed one more in that 2013 class, like Deon Mix.

With 5 likely Juniors next year, it makes me wonder if we really need a JUCO OL this year. Put another way, if we take a JUCO, he really has to be a game changer or it means our coaches don't have confidence in the guys we have.

Coach34
08-18-2014, 11:53 AM

It would hurt- but we would just move Senior or Malone to LT.

maroonmania
08-18-2014, 11:54 AM

Exactly, sometimes we are our own worst enemy. NOBODY here is thrilled that someone was injured and there is no reason to state that some MSU fans are on this board. Yes, there are probably several areas of the team where some of us fans wish the backup was getting more reps than the starter but that doesn't mean anyone is glad someone got hurt. GEEZ.

msstate7
08-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Losing starting LT would be a killer for almost (maybe all) sec teams

Saltydog
08-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Not your chin personally, just chins in general..............#teabagging

Coach34
08-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Next year- I think we are looking at-

Clayborn at Center
Calhoun, Malone, Desper, Thomas, and Flowers at G
Senior, Warren, Johnson, Jenkins, and Carter at OT

Would have to be a damn good Juco to crack the starting line-up...and with what we have at guard- Malone could still move there if necessary

bulldawg28
08-18-2014, 12:11 PM

Coach34
08-18-2014, 12:34 PM

That was definitely good enough to post again

Goat Holder
08-18-2014, 01:34 PM
With 5 likely Juniors next year, it makes me wonder if we really need a JUCO OL this year. Put another way, if we take a JUCO, he really has to be a game changer or it means our coaches don't have confidence in the guys we have.

Good point, not sure why I left off Senior. Move Johnson to a Junior and the situation changes. So really, we needed the impact JUCO this year, and Johnson doesn't seem to be the guy. And I would think Jamal Danley is really the only other one we are looking at. I'd be happy with one more HS guy though, honestly.

We will definitely need one or two JUCOs in the 2016 class, however. One if we can sign Danley, who would likely be a Sr. in 2016.

Coach34
08-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Danley has a lot of work to do just be eligible to be an SEC player. Don't get your hopes up on him

1bigdawg
08-18-2014, 01:59 PM
If Harris works out, he could be the JUCO signee in 2016 and he is a stud. I hope his rumored homesickness does not drag him down.

I believe we do need one more high school guy this year. If not Patterson, Williams from Alabama looks like a good option. I believe Aub will slow play him until the end giving us the option to close on him after we know about Patterson. Of course, because we got out early with a lot of guys, I believe we will have options for another HS OL if one of those does not work out.

1bigdawg
08-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Danley has a lot of work to do just be eligible to be an SEC player. Don't get your hopes up on him

Danley was a qualifier out of high school. It is hard to understand how he would not be now. It would only be a "number of hours toward graduation" thing.

Coach34
08-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Danley was a qualifier out of high school. It is hard to understand how he would not be now. It would only be a "number of hours toward graduation" thing.

Its a GPA thing- just like we have had with some basketball jucos. New SEC rules are hurting us there

HancockCountyDog
08-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Its a GPA thing- just like we have had with some basketball jucos. New SEC rules are hurting us there

I just keep hearing that Oklahoma can accept him in January - if he signs with MSU he has to go through spring semester in JUCO.

Anyone that has played JUCO ball knows that an extra semester in Juco when you could be in Top 20 program is a tough pill to swallow. This has nothing to do with our coaches, and has everything to do with SEC entrance requirements.

Is everyone "in the know" hearing the same thing?

Irondawg
08-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I just keep hearing that Oklahoma can accept him in January - if he signs with MSU he has to go through spring semester in JUCO.

Anyone that has played JUCO ball knows that an extra semester in Juco when you could be in Top 20 program is a tough pill to swallow. This has nothing to do with our coaches, and has everything to do with SEC entrance requirements.

Wonder if the Big 5 will get together and try to establish equal entry rules so this type of stuff doesn't happen.

Coach34
08-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Its not just an extra semester in juco- it could be a case of him having to RS in 2015 at any SEC school. He could get in- but have to sit a year

HoopsDawg
08-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Its not just an extra semester in juco- it could be a case of him having to RS in 2015 at any SEC school. He could get in- but have to sit a year

This is inaccurate. Danley has already redshirted. The only reason he couldn't in to MSU is if he has the Will Coleman issue of not enough hours to graduation or the extra math class that the SEC requires above and beyond the Big 12.

Coach34
08-18-2014, 02:47 PM
This is inaccurate. Danley has already redshirted. The only reason he couldn't in to MSU is if he has the Will Coleman issue of not enough hours to graduation or the extra math class that the SEC requires above and beyond the Big 12.

Interesting because our coaching staff thinks is a grade issue. Maybe you work at East Miss though

HoopsDawg
08-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Interesting because our coaching staff thinks is a grade issue. Maybe you work at East Miss though

All I can tell you is that Danley signed with Louisiana-Monroe and redshirted there his freshman year. He has 2 to play 2. He was a full qualifier out of high school so the only difference b/t MSU and OU academics wise is that MSU requires a C average in math and english and OU may allow him in with a D average.

Coach34
08-18-2014, 03:47 PM
All I keep getting told is that it is a grade issue and we are playing the waiting game to see if he can make it to be SEC eligible.

but I am not- repeat am not- an expert on Danley or SEC juco transfer rules