PDA

View Full Version : Who is our rival?

DawgPoundtheRock
08-18-2014, 08:35 AM
The Ole Miss fan base has said that MSU is no longer their true rival. LSU is. Obviously, this implies that their football program is on a par with the elite teams in the SEC while State remains at best a mid-tier program. They say this despite the fact that we, MSU, have won 4 out of the last 5 games we've played against them. Okay, fine. We're not their rival.

We need a new rival. Who's it going to be? Alabama, Auburn, LSU? I vote for the Kentucky Wildcats, a team we can defeat consistently.............oh say 4 out of every 5 times we play.

Any thoughts on who our new rival should be?

starkvegasdawg
08-18-2014, 08:40 AM
If rival would be the team I hate the most outside the bears then I have to go with Auburn. I hate Alabama but Auburn is at another level. It can't be LSU because then the pricks up north would just accuse us of copying them. So yes, if we have to pick a new rival my vote is for Auburn. Do we need to make a special trophy and give that game a name like the bears did with LSU?

mparkerfd20
08-18-2014, 08:42 AM
I have no confusion and make no qualms about it... Ole Miss is our rival and we are theirs. End of story

Liverpooldawg
08-18-2014, 08:47 AM
UM is and always will be our rival. It's hilarious that they try to deny the obvious. However if they really feel that way I have no problem with them refusing to get up for the Egg Bowl.

The Federalist Engineer
08-18-2014, 08:47 AM
I know a bunch of LSU people, they think OM is a glorified Conference USA team, just saying. Maybe the grandparents think differently, but young kids don't feel a rivalry with OM. Why don't we reach out to an LSU board and ask LSU who their rival is?

I guess, I am assuming that rivalry is something bilateral. You can't self declare a rivalry without reciprocity.

Original48
08-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Deputy Bracky Brett

DawgPoundtheRock
08-18-2014, 08:53 AM
You're right. How about "The Battle for the Battle Ax" where each school would select the ugliest coed on campus as determined by an Ugly Pageant. The winners at each school would be presented at halftime and a battle ax would be presented to the representative of the winning team following the game. There could even be a parade on campus the following week where the Battle Ax Queen rides on a float displaying the victorious trophy.

Statefan
08-18-2014, 08:54 AM
I know a bunch of LSU people, they think OM is a glorified Conference USA team, just saying. Maybe the grandparents think differently, but young kids don't feel a rivalry with OM. Why don't we reach out to an LSU board and ask LSU who their rival is?

I guess, I am assuming that rivalry is something bilateral. You can't self declare a rivalry without reciprocity.

Exactly, it's a rivalry that's so recognized and prestigious that they finally decided to roll out a trophy for it in like 2010? Like all things OM, it's them fighting for perception of something because the actual event (our record against them in the past 25 years, SEC championship game, Omaha visits, final 4) doesn't favor them

RougeDawg
08-18-2014, 08:55 AM
If rival would be the team I hate the most outside the bears then I have to go with Auburn. I hate Alabama but Auburn is at another level. It can't be LSU because then the pricks up north would just accuse us of copying them. So yes, if we have to pick a new rival my vote is for Auburn. Do we need to make a special trophy and give that game a name like the bears did with LSU?

Doesn't a rivalry consist of each team and fan base considering it to be a rivalry? Every LSU fan I know doesn't even consider OM as any rival. Historically they don't have very different success against LSU than we do. LSU considers Bama their main rival, with Auburn and Florida close behind. They even consider Arkansas to be a rival to some extent. I've never heard the words "OM" come out of any LSU fans mouth when they are asked or mention a rival.

Considering the fact that they never lose anything, I can see them wanting to say we aren't their rival since they have been on the L side of things more times than not recently. If they aren't our rival, why do they break the bank every recruiting season trying to flip our recruits and throw elaborate press conferences? Why did they hire a PI to go after Jackie? Why did they rush the field the only time they best us this half decade? Why do thy copy our club level seating and claim it to be their original idea? Why does Swayze look like Dudy Noble with a red and blue paint job? Why does Bucky preach "relentless effort"? Why did they throw together a piece mill club level and suites right after our east side upper deck expansion? Why are they now "talking about" expanding their football stadium?

This is just a short list of them, but those assholes are either ignoring all of these things or really are just that f*cking delusional. I think we know what category most of them fall under.

BeardoMSU
08-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Are we doing this again?

My rival is Old Gregg.
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/old_cf6614_1741632.jpg

RougeDawg
08-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Deputy Bracky Brett

^^Winner^^

starkvegasdawg
08-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Doesn't a rivalry consist of each team and fan base considering it to be a rivalry? Every LSU fan I know doesn't even consider OM as any rival. Historically they don't have very different success against LSU than we do. LSU considers Bama their main rival, with Auburn and Florida close behind. They even consider Arkansas to be a rival to some extent. I've never heard the words "OM" come out of any LSU fans mouth when they are asked or mention a rival.

Considering the fact that they never lose anything, I can see them wanting to say we aren't their rival since they have been on the L side of things more times than not recently. If they aren't our rival, why do they break the bank every recruiting season trying to flip our recruits and throw elaborate press conferences? Why did they hire a PI to go after Jackie? Why did they rush the field the only time they best us this half decade? Why do thy copy our club level seating and claim it to be their original idea? Why does Swayze look like Dudy Noble with a red and blue paint job? Why does Bucky preach "relentless effort"? Why did they throw together a piece mill club level and suites right after our east side upper deck expansion? Why are they now "talking about" expanding their football stadium?

This is just a short list of them, but those assholes are either ignoring all of these things or really are just that f*cking delusional. I think we know what category most of them fall under.

Oh I agree with everything you said. TSUN could be playing the ISIS all stars and I would have a hard time pulling for TSUN. To show how one sided that LSU/TSUN rivalry is they named it the Magnolia Bowl. I'm sure the cajuns down in south LA have no problem with a supposed rivalry game name not having anything to do with one half of the rivalry.

I was just playing along that if we had to choose another team to be our rival who would it be. Out of that list I would choose Auburn as they are second on my most hated list. A VERY distant second but second nonetheless.

If it makes them feel better to say LSU is their real rival then that is fine. After all, the last 5 years they do have the same record against them as they do us.

gravedigger
08-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Our rival should be anyone in our fan base who takes the bait on these ridiculous assertions.

The insults only mean something if you believe they are true.

From roadhouse:

"Be nice"
" what if one of them calls my momma a whore?"

"Is she?"

AFDawg
08-18-2014, 12:20 PM
BYU is our real rival. #shepsmithing

Johnson85
08-18-2014, 12:20 PM
The Ole Miss fan base has said that MSU is no longer their true rival. LSU is. Obviously, this implies that their football program is on a par with the elite teams in the SEC while State remains at best a mid-tier program. They say this despite the fact that we, MSU, have won 4 out of the last 5 games we've played against them. Okay, fine. We're not their rival.

We need a new rival. Who's it going to be? Alabama, Auburn, LSU? I vote for the Kentucky Wildcats, a team we can defeat consistently.............oh say 4 out of every 5 times we play.

Any thoughts on who our new rival should be?

Bama is our LSU. LSU and UM is not much of a rivalry from LSU's perspective, but UM does often play them close and wins some they shouldn't. Bama and MSU is not much of a rivalry from Bama's perspective, but we tend to play them close and win some we shouldn't.

Similarly, Bama is to UM what LSU is to us. You can pretty much count on them losing to Bama. Even when UM is up or Bama is down, they're just not getting over that hump. Each year they tell themselves it will be different, and even convince themselves that previous losses were close games even though they ended up being 3 TD games at the end or even though they never really threatened to score, and then they turn these 'close' losses into moral victories. But in the end, they are losing to them every. single. time. You could take an UM fan's conversation about playing Bama this year, switch out LSU for Bama, and it would sound like a conversation coming out of a state fan's mouth.

Pollodawg
08-18-2014, 12:39 PM
It would have to be Auburn if the bears are out. I dislike Bama, but I hate Auburn.

DownwardDawg
08-18-2014, 12:42 PM
If their fans want to act stupid and play little pretend games, that's fine. I hope our fans and coaches NEVER have to even think twice about this topic. Our rival is and always will be ole miss.

ETA: To answer the question of new rival, it would be Auburn if ole miss would go die in a fire.

ScoobaDawg
08-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Yawn... not even gonna read. Mississippi is our rival. and always will be. as others have pointed out they say that crap to try to make them feel they are better than us and ignore the fact we own their ass as of late.

LSU is to UM as a rival as Bama is to MSU as a rival. yes we play games every year. But neither have a competitive streak against either. Not close to a winning record.

EAVdog
08-18-2014, 01:04 PM
It is kind of boring to almost always beat your Rival.

Maybe we should look at Auburn?

cbrunt29
08-18-2014, 02:01 PM
If OM had won 4 out of last 5 eggs, they wouldn't say LSU was their rival. It'd be us

quickstrike2
08-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Deputy Bracky Brett

I agree.

Vancleave
08-18-2014, 05:07 PM
since 2008 the bears are 3-3 vs LSU and 2-4 vs Us. I couldn't care less who they think is their rival as long as we keep beating their a**

Dogppound
08-18-2014, 05:13 PM
since 2008 the bears are 3-3 vs LSU and 2-4 vs Us. I couldn't care less who they think is their rival as long as we keep beating their a**

I read on another board where the bears have somehow managed to go 33-38 against LSU the past 71 years . If that's true it's impressive but it still doesn't change the fact that we've owned them lately . That's all we should care about.

IMissJack
08-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Listen there are almost as many LSU people in Houston as there are Texas people. The only team I hear them talking about, other than themselves is Bama or Auburn (they hate). I think the LSU and TX A&M game could become a rivalry if A&M stays up. They used to play more often when A&M was in the SWC/Big 12. I'm pretty good friends with some LSU people, and they do not consider UM as anything.

yjnkdawg
08-18-2014, 11:38 PM
LSU and OM have not and do not like each other for sure, as you can go back to the game where Billy Cannon ran the punt back on OM to win. The Bears really like that video lol. I don't think LSU considers OM as a rival. They just despise OM with a passion from what I have seen and heard. I think OM's true rival is MSU and vice versa. Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't this LSU rivalry talk actually begin after Freeze became Head Coach?

PassInterference
08-18-2014, 11:55 PM
I know a lot of LSU people and I've never found a single one that thinks Ole Miss is their rival.

Dawg61
08-19-2014, 12:13 AM
There is only one answer here. Maine Football.