PDA

View Full Version : Walk-on LB DeAndre Ward Given Scholly

TheRef
08-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Today, DeAndre Ward was told in dramatic fashion that he will be put on scholarship this year. It's a good day for him and the team is celebrating. Ole Miss, on the other hand, are making fun of this moment and saying that we are "publicizing everything". Isn't it ironic that Ole Miss is criticizing us for publicizing a life-changing moment in a student's life?

Ben Mikell
@OxChargerSports
So, Coach Mullen had a spare scholarship to give to a walk-on....hmmmm.

8:56pm ? 17 Aug 2014 ? Twitter Web Client

Faux Hugh Freeze
@FauxHughFreeze
If we finally gave a scholarship to a walk-on but didn't tweet about it, did we even do it?

9:19pm ? 17 Aug 2014 ? Twitter for iPhone

Faux Hugh Freeze
@FauxHughFreeze
@GhostOfFiggins Have no problem with Mullen mentioning it but your football account tweeting "changing lives" sounds like "look what we did"

9:39pm ? 17 Aug 2014 ? Twitter for iPhone

Faux Hugh Freeze
@FauxHughFreeze
@dawgsmack @GhostOfFiggins Must everything you do be a huge production?

9:47pm ? 17 Aug 2014 ? Twitter for iPhone

War Machine Dawg
08-17-2014, 10:04 PM
They're just pissed the Reverend didn't think of it first.

CooterDavenport
08-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Holy shit. Those people are insane. Tons of teams do this. In the first page of Google results I found videos for Arkansas, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Vandy.

hailmari
08-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Wow. How can someone not just be happy for a kid earning what he worked hard for? Pricks up north.

Clanga
08-17-2014, 10:14 PM
This is great, anybody know his story?

Big4Dawg
08-17-2014, 10:17 PM
http://instagram.com/p/r0oGwBFSVL

Here is a video

Todd4State
08-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Why do Ole Miss fans get so upset when we publicize anything?

Congrats to Ward, and I think it's great that Mullen and MSU are publicizing it.

messageboardsuperhero
08-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Why do Ole Miss fans get so upset when we publicize anything?

Congrats to Ward, and I think it's great that Mullen and MSU are publicizing it.

It's ironic to me, coming from the school who has a weekly "Hard Knocks" type of show to publicize their season.

ETA: I really couldn't care less that they have that- in fact, it's put together really well. I just find it funny coming from the school who publicizes and hypes everything they do.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Ole Miss has an extra scholly after Rawlings walked on instead of being on scholarship like a recruited player should be.

Todd4State
08-17-2014, 11:12 PM
I'm pretty sure Ole Miss has an extra scholly after Rawlings walked on instead of being on scholarship like a recruited player should be.

Wait a minute- so after they finally offered a scholarship essentially so that an Ole Miss fan wouldn't come to school at MSU, they pulled it so he had to walk on anyway?

That's crappy.

Big4Dawg
08-17-2014, 11:19 PM
no, his family decided to pay his on way.

Todd4State
08-17-2014, 11:25 PM
no, his family decided to pay his on way.

Technically, they shouldn't be allowed to do that since he was part of their signing class last year. You can't announce walk-ons as signees on NSD.

Now, if they want to pay his final 3-4 years, that's their business.

LC Dawg
08-17-2014, 11:55 PM
That buck toothed idiot coach of theirs can post pictures of fish on Twitter to announce commitments but we can't publicize a hard working kid earning a scholarship? I just really don't like those people.

sleepy dawg
08-17-2014, 11:57 PM

Here is a video

Awesome! Forget about those other guys. This video is cool.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Technically, they shouldn't be allowed to do that since he was part of their signing class last year. You can't announce walk-ons as signees on NSD.

Now, if they want to pay his final 3-4 years, that's their business.

I'm pretty sure a recruited player has to be put on football scholarship. That keeps schools from finding academic money to throw at football players for the service of making their recruiting class larger

BossDawg
08-18-2014, 12:56 AM
So he has a problem about someone publicizing changing someone's life....has he forgotten about the whole Blind Side garbage?

Todd4State
08-18-2014, 01:38 AM
So he has a problem about someone publicizing changing someone's life....has he forgotten about the whole Blind Side garbage?

This is going to leave a mark.

headcoach98
08-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Laugh and ignore those Yogis. This was an awesome gesture and huge congrats to this young man.

662dawg
08-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Wasn't it just last year that they made a huge deal and even a video of awarding that walk on 6'10 O-Lineman a scholly???

pdawg10msu
08-18-2014, 09:40 AM

Here is a video

Further proof that we don't just have a football team, we have a family.

AlSwearengen
08-18-2014, 10:15 AM
This doesn't look like a big production that was planned ahead of time. Looks like a player whipped out his cell phone at the spur of the moment to me. I could be wrong. I would like to have heard what Mullen had to say. **** the rebels and **** Bucky. He is busy trying to figure out how to scam players out of their schollies so he can sign an extra 4* to pad his rankings.

Reason2succeed
08-18-2014, 11:15 AM
This doesn't look like a big production that was planned ahead of time. Looks like a player whipped out his cell phone at the spur of the moment to me. I could be wrong. I would like to have heard what Mullen had to say. **** the rebels and **** Bucky. He is busy trying to figure out how to scam players out of their schollies so he can sign an extra 4* to pad his rankings.

It looks like great "production" quality to me.***I like how they bobbled the camera phone to make it seem like this wasn't staged.***Mullen just wants to imitate the "people heppin" of Rev. Freeze and the honorable Rabbles up north.****

Mutt the Hoople
08-18-2014, 09:06 PM
I think Rev. Freeze wanted to do something similar for Laremy Tunsil's brother, but too many players would've just stood up and walked out.