PDA

View Full Version : Why is anybody upset about Ole Missus being in the preseason AP Top 25?

Coach34
08-17-2014, 07:58 PM
They have 3 Preseason AA's
They have Bo Dirt
They had a highly ranked Crootin class in 2013

Hell yeah they should be ranked 18th. They are going to be awesome this year. With that kind of talent- any coach could win 9-10 games. Shirley they wont underachieve this year and will most certainly live up to the hype? When they have ever failed to live up to the hype before? This is Ole Missus we talking about.

They are awesome and should beat Boise by 20 points.

War Machine Dawg
08-17-2014, 07:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/rTjkVGl.gif

Reason2succeed
08-17-2014, 08:07 PM
How sweet their fall from this pedestal will be? I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Goat Holder
08-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Best Ole Miss team I've seen in my lifetime was 2008. They lost at home to Vanderbilt. Second best lost to Memphis.

cheewgumm
08-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Ole miss friends should expect 10 wins with all their talent. Anything less is a bust and a failure on Freezes part.

If you have that much talent and can't win, then it might be time for a change.

defiantdog
08-17-2014, 08:48 PM
wait a minute.... I sense satire

BossDawg
08-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Ole miss friends should expect 10 wins with all their talent. Anything less is a bust and a failure on Freezes part.

If you have that much talent and can't win, then it might be time for a change.

I'm assuming you aren't being sarcastic? Anyway, I'm seriously wondering, because I'm hearing it everywhere: But does UMiss REALLY have "that much talent"? Or are they simply top heavy? I didn't think they were too loaded at all across the board, and their concern about depth seems to justify that. I just don't understand how everyone is coming to the conclusion that they are full of elite talent.

BulldogBear
08-17-2014, 09:48 PM
How sweet their fall from this pedestal will be? I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

This^

And its hard to tell with Ole Miss because of their media connections and propaganda. They are the embodiment of thinking something is true because they tell you it is. And you'd be surprised to know how many household names of sports media are connected to Ole Miss some way or another.

SDDawg
08-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Really interesting how Freeze has been talking down this year's team more than last year's. Strategy on his part to keep himself off the hot seat, or an indicator of something else?! Only time will tell!

War Machine Dawg
08-17-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm assuming you aren't being sarcastic? Anyway, I'm seriously wondering, because I'm hearing it everywhere: But does UMiss REALLY have "that much talent"? Or are they simply top heavy? I didn't think they were too loaded at all across the board, and their concern about depth seems to justify that. I just don't understand how everyone is coming to the conclusion that they are full of elite talent.

Might wanna check your satire and sarcasm meters.

War Machine Dawg
08-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Really interesting how Freeze has been talking down this year's team more than last year's. Strategy on his part to keep himself off the hot seat, or an indicator of something else?! Only time will tell!

http://i.imgur.com/xHFRtju.gif

DawgPoundtheRock
08-17-2014, 10:11 PM
So, among all this satirical banter, let me interject a hypothesis and a few questions. Hypothesis: Ole Miss falls from grace, fails to reach 10 wins, fails to live up to the hype and generally disappoints their fans. Questions: What combination of wins and losses puts Freeze on the hot seat or gets him fired? Which teams must he beat in order to avoid termination (besides State)? Do we really want him fired or just sweating under the pressure? Do we really care?

Todd4State
08-17-2014, 10:22 PM
All I care about it that we beat them on the field. If things go the way I think they will, it will take care of itself.

War Machine Dawg
08-17-2014, 10:24 PM
So, among all this satirical banter, let me interject a hypothesis and a few questions. Hypothesis: Ole Miss falls from grace, fails to reach 10 wins, fails to live up to the hype and generally disappoints their fans. Questions: What combination of wins and losses puts Freeze on the hot seat or gets him fired? Which teams must he beat in order to avoid termination (besides State)? Do we really want him fired or just sweating under the pressure? Do we really care?

Not really.

With that said, I'll attempt to play along. Anything less than 8 wins will have their bat shit crazy fans on suicide alert. In their minds, they've already built themselves into a juggernaut capable of competing with the elite. Hell, they had a real fingernail biting 25-point loss to Bama last season. Why shouldn't they win at least 9?

I think Freezus is safe this year, unless he posts a 2-10 or worse. Don't see that happening. But they've got to win at least 3 of their non-cons and beat one of Auburn/Bama/LSU for their fans to stay on board. If they lose to both Boise and ULL, and finish 5-7 (which I think is very plausible), then Freeze's seat will be scalding hot coming into 2015. Especially since Freezus won't be able to claim another Crootin' Championship in February to pacify the congregation. If he starts slow in '15, he could be done before the halfway point.

Todd4State
08-17-2014, 10:25 PM

He won't be fired after this year. Short of a Petrino type embarrassing incident, which with him is a distinct possibility the way he handles himself in public. Now to clarify, he may not cheat on his wife but I could see an embarrassing incident such as him getting into a fight with an Ole Miss fan or something like that.

BulldogBear
08-17-2014, 10:28 PM

If he loses to us in Oxford, finishes below us in both win total and SECW standings, he will be on the hot seat in a manner of speaking. Now will they fire him if we win 10 and they 9? Of course not. Will they think about it? You bet.

PassInterference
08-17-2014, 10:36 PM

He talks down expectations every year. His first year he whined about not having a full roster of players.

He lied. He considered redshirts as empty roster spots.

The point is Freeze exaggerates how bad the preseason appears. Under-promise and over-deliver is a good formula for business.

Gen. Grant
08-17-2014, 10:39 PM
We all remember how well they handled the expectations and pressure of being ranked preseason #4 right? Yeah, they don't handle pressure very well. I don't see Lord Freezus handling this years expectations well. Also, looking forward to his little bitch meltdowns on twitter when he gets called out. Cant wait.

SDDawg
08-18-2014, 12:24 AM
I think if Freeze fails to post a winning season *AND* loses the Egg Bowl in Oxford he's out. The recruiting will never get any better than what they've had over the past two years and they are not rational, they expect results immediately. I think he has to bowl to keep his job this year.

Most people expect them to do this, but I do not. I think they're vulnerable on the road against A&M, at a neutral site against Boise, and that Tennessee could surprise them. If they were to lose those games (big "if", no doubt), anything can happen.

Dawg61
08-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Louisiana-Lafayette is going to beat UMiss. Book it.

MarketingBully01
08-18-2014, 12:58 AM
I think if Freeze fails to post a winning season *AND* loses the Egg Bowl in Oxford he's out. The recruiting will never get any better than what they've had over the past two years and they are not rational, they expect results immediately. I think he has to bowl to keep his job this year.

Most people expect them to do this, but I do not. I think they're vulnerable on the road against A&M, at a neutral site against Boise, and that Tennessee could surprise them. If they were to lose those games (big "if", no doubt), anything can happen.

The Boise game could be telling. They seem to be concentrating too much on bringing croots into their camp the last two weekends instead of concentrating on their preseason camp. It would not surprise me if Boise beats them.

Todd4State
08-18-2014, 01:40 AM

I think ULL will keep it close, but I just don't think they have the horses to pull it off.

BeastMan
08-18-2014, 05:51 AM
I'm being serious as a heart attack when I say, top to bottom, this is the most talented team in my lifetime. More talented than 2008 and more than 03 (or any Eli team for that matter). I think 08 was more talented than the Eli years and you could argue 08 vs now but I think there is more overall roster talent right now. This is the most talented Ole Miss team in their history.

BeastMan
08-18-2014, 05:53 AM
I think ULL will keep it close, but I just don't think they have the horses to pull it off.

Rewatch ULL vs Arky last year... UPig ran Hudd off the field. ULL vs OM won't be a game. Boise will be a better game IMO

Dawg61
08-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Rewatch ULL vs Arky last year... UPig ran Hudd off the field. ULL vs OM won't be a game. Boise will be a better game IMO

Two different types of teams between Arky and UMiss. I think this is the year Hud gets his big time win. UMiss isn't physical enough for Hud's team. They are too finesse.

Political Hack
08-18-2014, 07:21 AM

that was early, and OM can't pound anyone. Think about Washington state almost beating Auburn last year early. Similar in my opinion.

I don't expect ULaLa to win, but I think it'll actually be close. Broadway Terrance can make plays with that receiving corps.

BeastMan
08-18-2014, 07:24 AM
that was early, and OM can't pound anyone. Think about Washington state almost beating Auburn last great early. Similar in my opinion.

2-way street. Early Arky lost to Florida 30-10 and Bama & SoCar beat them in consecutive weeks 104-7.

RougeDawg
08-18-2014, 07:35 AM
I'm being serious as a heart attack when I say, top to bottom, this is the most talented team in my lifetime. More talented than 2008 and more than 03 (or any Eli team for that matter). I think 08 was more talented than the Eli years and you could argue 08 vs now but I think there is more overall roster talent right now. This is the most talented Ole Miss team in their history.

Ask Texas what talent means the last few seasons. You could have the best talent in football, but still blow because your scheme is predictable and has been figured out. Not to mention all the "me me me" mentalities on that team. This along with the talent being top heavy and dismal depth, spell a potential disaster of a season, despite the perceived "talent".

bulldawg28
08-18-2014, 07:39 AM
The rebels should be ranked in the top 10 and should make the playoffs this year. They're the only team in the SEC that has a three year returning starter.

starkvegasdawg
08-18-2014, 07:49 AM
I'm just ready for the season to start. That will answer everybody's questions. No more speculation. No more wondering. No more conjecture. Time for everybody to put up or shut up. We think we should be ranked? We get to prove why. TSUN over hyped? Time to find out. Is LSU really going to be down this year? Let's all see together.

headcoach98
08-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Running team will kill the yogis once again this year

Coach34
08-18-2014, 08:03 AM

i agree. Sylvester Crooms could win 8-9 games with the talent OM has

Liverpooldawg
08-18-2014, 08:52 AM
If doesn't win 10 this year he will be on his way out. It's the most talent they have had since 1959, right? In all seriousness he better win 8 and he HAS to beat us. If he doesn't he will survive till next year but he will be a fired coach coaching.

MadDawg
08-18-2014, 09:10 AM
What combination of wins and losses puts Freeze on the hot seat or gets him fired?

I know you said "besides State", but that's it to me. Lose to MSU in Oxford and he's feeling the pressure of pissed off fans and administration.

FISHDAWG
08-18-2014, 09:20 AM
wins against Texas and LSU will buffer this somewhat ... the guy has been there two years and has taken them to two bowl games along with one pretty good cruitin class ... he has some time left

maroonmania
08-18-2014, 09:29 AM
I know you said "besides State", but that's it to me. Lose to MSU in Oxford and he's feeling the pressure of pissed off fans and administration.

Well if he loses to the preseason 36th ranked team at home with the most talented OM team in history that would be quite the embarrassing loss for ol' Bucky.

archdog
08-18-2014, 09:37 AM
They have 3 Preseason AA's
They have Bo Dirt
They had a highly ranked Crootin class in 2013

Hell yeah they should be ranked 18th. They are going to be awesome this year. With that kind of talent- any coach could win 9-10 games. Shirley they wont underachieve this year and will most certainly live up to the hype? When they have ever failed to live up to the hype before? This is Ole Missus we talking about.

They are awesome and should beat Boise by 20 points.

No way they don't win 10 games. Too bad they will lose yo Bama and MsU and come in third.

Joe Schmedlap
08-18-2014, 10:14 AM
The Bears deserve to be ranked somewhere between 20 and 25 IF you believe in preseason polls. I'm not upset about that at all. The Bulldogs probably ought to be in the top 28. But, show me a poll after 2 to 3 weekends of play. Preseason polls are based on perception rather than reality.

Goat Holder
08-18-2014, 11:31 AM

Not sure about that. Probably more talent overall than 03, but with a NFL top pick at QB, you can cover up a lot of weaknesses. Not sure I can roll with 08 though. Look at all these guys off that 08/09 run:

2009 - 1 - 23 - Michael Oher, OT Baltimore
2009 - 1 - 24 - Peria Jerry, DT Atlanta
2009 - 3 - 84 - Mike Wallace, WR Pittsburgh
2009 - 7 - 231 - Jamarca Sanford, S Minnesota
2010 - 2 - 36 - Dexter McCluster, RB-WR Kansas City
2010 - 3 - 73 - John Jerry, OG Miami
2010 - 5 - 136 - Kendrick Lewis, S Kansas City
2010 - 6 - 175 - Greg Hardy, DE Carolina

Add in Snead playing very well in 08, along with Hodge and few other capable WRs.......eh, they'll have to prove that they are better than O's boys. Ole Miss seems to be top heavy to me with not a whole lot of depth.

Political Hack
08-18-2014, 11:36 AM
2-way street. Early Arky lost to Florida 30-10 and Bama & SoCar beat them in consecutive weeks 104-7.

very true. just don't think early season games are very indicative of a team at the end of that same year or the beginning Of the next year... which is one reason why I don't like kickoff games. If the bears were a ground em and pound em team, I think it would be different, but Hugh doesn't know how to not be cute.

War Machine Dawg
08-18-2014, 12:38 PM

Put down the red-and-blue Kool-Aid. The '08, '03, '99, and '98 UM teams would all kick the '14 team's ass. Sure, they've got some really good 1st string guys. So does pretty much every other Big 5 school. But their depth is shit and 3/5 of their starting OL is still unsettled less than 2 weeks from kickoff. Not to mention they have a head case at QB with the arm strength of a limp noodle. There's a reason he's CBS. Anymore injuries, especially at DB or OL, and the BearSharks are in deep shit. I still say they're more likely to win 6 or less than 8 or more.

BeastMan
08-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Not sure about that. Probably more talent overall than 03, but with a NFL top pick at QB, you can cover up a lot of weaknesses. Not sure I can roll with 08 though. Look at all these guys off that 08/09 run:

2009 - 1 - 23 - Michael Oher, OT Baltimore
2009 - 1 - 24 - Peria Jerry, DT Atlanta
2009 - 3 - 84 - Mike Wallace, WR Pittsburgh
2009 - 7 - 231 - Jamarca Sanford, S Minnesota
2010 - 2 - 36 - Dexter McCluster, RB-WR Kansas City
2010 - 3 - 73 - John Jerry, OG Miami
2010 - 5 - 136 - Kendrick Lewis, S Kansas City
2010 - 6 - 175 - Greg Hardy, DE Carolina

Add in Snead playing very well in 08, along with Hodge and few other capable WRs.......eh, they'll have to prove that they are better than O's boys. Ole Miss seems to be top heavy to me with not a whole lot of depth.

I looked all that up recently to compare contrast and as talented as 08 was, I think this year's roster has more. I'll give some very loose draft grades to bolster my opinion.

LaQuon Treadwell- lottery pick
Laremy Tunsil- lottery pick
Robert Nkemdiche- 1-3 rd
Tony Conner- 2-5 rd
Aaron Morris- 6-7 rd
Fahn Cooper- 3-5 rd
Cody Prewitt- 3-5 rd
Anthony Alford- 2-5 rd

Then I think all these guys will sign FA deals and get a shot in a camp: Bo Wallace, I'Tavius Mathers, Fadol Brown, Serderius Bryant, Senquez Gholsen, Trae Elston, and Quicny Adeboyejo.

Then there a few guys who I think have NFL potential that haven't played and I don't have any hard info on, most notably Daronte Bouldin. We're not even talking class '14 freshmen...

This is just my opinion and it is debatable but I think I'm on pretty solid ground in saying this is the most talented Ole Miss team ever.

TrueMaroon
08-18-2014, 01:32 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/yes/yesjacknicholson.gif

BeastMan
08-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Put down the red-and-blue Kool-Aid. The '08, '03, '99, and '98 UM teams would all kick the '14 team's ass. Sure, they've got some really good 1st string guys. So does pretty much every other Big 5 school. But their depth is shit and 3/5 of their starting OL is still unsettled less than 2 weeks from kickoff. Not to mention they have a head case at QB with the arm strength of a limp noodle. There's a reason he's CBS. Anymore injuries, especially at DB or OL, and the BearSharks are in deep shit. I still say they're more likely to win 6 or less than 8 or more.

Just for the record, saying this team is more talented does not equal that they would beat 03, 08, etc... Honestly, that 08 team was playing good enough down the stretch where they wouldn't have lost to anyone. But again, that's a different argument.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2014, 01:35 PM
I looked all that up recently to compare contrast and as talented as 08 was, I think this year's roster has more. I'll give some very loose draft grades to bolster my opinion.

LaQuon Treadwell- lottery pick
Laremy Tunsil- lottery pick
Robert Nkemdiche- 1-3 rd
Tony Conner- 2-5 rd
Aaron Morris- 6-7 rd
Fahn Cooper- 3-5 rd
Cody Prewitt- 3-5 rd
Anthony Alford- 2-5 rd

Then I think all these guys will sign FA deals and get a shot in a camp: Bo Wallace, I'Tavius Mathers, Fadol Brown, Serderius Bryant, Senquez Gholsen, Trae Elston, and Quicny Adeboyejo.

Then there a few guys who I think have NFL potential that haven't played and I don't have any hard info on, most notably Daronte Bouldin. We're not even talking class '14 freshmen...

This is just my opinion and it is debatable but I think I'm on pretty solid ground in saying this is the most talented Ole Miss team ever.

What in the world makes you believe that Anthony Alford or Fahn Cooper will be 2nd-5th round draft picks?

Also, they may have more individual talent on this team than Eli's years, but having Eli is a trump card that Bo Wallace comes nowhere on this planet close to overcoming. Sure, they may have one or two more high end talents on this team, but, due to the QB position, that doesn't mean they are anywhere close to being as good.

BeastMan
08-18-2014, 01:52 PM
What in the world makes you believe that Anthony Alford or Fahn Cooper will be 2nd-5th round draft picks?

Also, they may have more individual talent on this team than Eli's years, but having Eli is a trump card that Bo Wallace comes nowhere on this planet close to overcoming. Sure, they may have one or two more high end talents on this team, but, due to the QB position, that doesn't mean they are anywhere close to being as good.

I have my reasons on Cooper and Alford is one of the best athletes this state has ever seen. At safety, he has lottery pick upside. If he sticks with football he has draft pick written all over him.

I'm not sure why people are struggling with this concept. Me saying this is the most talented team in OM history is not the same thing as saying this is the best OM team in history. It remains to be seen what the results of this talent will be.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2014, 02:02 PM
I have my reasons on Cooper and Alford is one of the best athletes this state has ever seen. At safety, he has lottery pick upside. If he sticks with football he has draft pick written all over him.

Would love to hear your reasons for Cooper.

Not sure I agree with Alford. That's a major major stretch. It's basically how fans get all excited about recruits, only to realize they aren't very good when they actually have to play. Alford has never done anything that would insinuate that he has top 5 round potential at safety.

BeastMan
08-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Would love to hear your reasons for Cooper.

Not sure I agree with Alford. That's a major major stretch. It's basically how fans get all excited about recruits, only to realize they aren't very good when they actually have to play. Alford has never done anything that would insinuate that he has top 5 round potential at safety.

You'll see the reasons on Cooper the first time you see him in pads in the Ga dome. Alford just needs time in the defensive backfield to understand schemes. I posted the other day that Alford might be the best corner on their roster right now (and he doesn't even play corner). I can assure you, I don't dream these things up.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2014, 02:29 PM
You'll see the reasons on Cooper the first time you see him in pads in the Ga dome. Alford just needs time in the defensive backfield to understand schemes. I posted the other day that Alford might be the best corner on their roster right now (and he doesn't even play corner). I can assure you, I don't dream these things up.

Ok, not disagreeing with you. Just wanted to hear the reasons.

Is Cooper actually good or does he just have talent? If he is that talented, how come he started his career at Bowling Green and why wasn't he recruited by the best teams in America out of JC?

BeastMan
08-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Ok, not disagreeing with you. Just wanted to hear the reasons.

Is Cooper actually good or does he just have talent? If he is that talented, how come he started his career at Bowling Green and why wasn't he recruited by the best teams in America out of JC?

IMO OL is the hardest position to project. Dude went to BG, started as a true freshman, and balled out. He probably realized "what the hell am I doing here". I'd call signing with an SEC team out of Jc as a great upgrade so I think he made the right decision. He was offered by OM, Oklahoma, Arizona State, and Illinois out of Jc (4-star on 247).

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2014, 02:57 PM
IMO OL is the hardest position to project. Dude went to BG, started as a true freshman, and balled out. He probably realized "what the hell am I doing here". I'd call signing with an SEC team out of Jc as a great upgrade so I think he made the right decision. He was offered by OM, Oklahoma, Arizona State, and Illinois out of Jc (4-star on 247).

Yeah, not a bad list out of JUCO, but certainly not an all-world list either. Sounds about like Danley to be honest with you.

thunderclap
08-18-2014, 03:08 PM
So Alford is their best corner but doesn't play corner and Liggins is their best OL but doesn't play OL. Got it.

maroonmania
08-18-2014, 03:10 PM

You certainly could end up being right but you are doing a LOT of projection on a couple of guys who you have NEVER seen play D1 football in a major conference. A HS guy like Alford, who played QB primarily in HS, is difficult to project how he will be as a DB in the SEC. I don't remember much about him as a safety prospect when he signed with USM. And I can remember when we signed Denico Autry out of JUCO and thought he was going to dominate in the SEC but it just didn't happen. Cooper may end up being all-world but its a big jump from JUCO OL to starting in the SEC.

BeastMan
08-18-2014, 03:11 PM
So Alford is their best corner but doesn't play corner and Liggins is their best OL but doesn't play OL. Got it.

The moral of that story is that he could be their best CB, SS, FS, or LB. Dude is just one hell of an athlete.

cheewgumm
08-18-2014, 03:16 PM
I disagree bo Wallace gets a FA chance in NFL. He can run, but his throwing is terrible. He's not gonna sniff it.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2014, 03:20 PM
The moral of that story is that he could be their best CB, SS, FS, or LB. Dude is just one hell of an athlete.

Not saying your wrong, because Alford is a good athlete, but I think it's a major stretch to say he has 2nd-5th round potential right now when we don't even know if he can tackle or has ball skills. Jermaine Whitehead is a good athlete as well.

Fahn Cooper may be the 2nd coming of Johnathan Ogden, but, at this moment, he hasn't done anything that would insinuate that he has high NFL potential.

I also agree that Bo Wallace likely never gets the opportunity to play NFL football. Just doesn't possess the arm action or arm strength to make him interesting.

Not saying your wrong Beast, but there are some major stretches in talent evaluation here. They may come true, but, if I were betting my own money on it, I would bet they don't.

BeastMan
08-18-2014, 03:30 PM
That's fine. I completely agree they need to show it if they're gonna be future draft picks. Just know I'm not dreaming this up.

Coach34
08-18-2014, 03:53 PM
I talked to one of my bosses this weekend who is from the Hattiesburg area- and he and others are convinced Alford may be the best athlete to ever come out if that area. And he is not an OM guy

Take it for what it's worth