PDA

View Full Version : WOW, Benito Jones committed to Bama on July 13th, flips to Ole Miss on August 17th

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2014, 01:39 PM
WTF?

Please caption how this happens....

I wonder if, for the next year and a half, the Clarion Ledger will retweet every one of his tweets, and continuously ask him what it would take for him to decommit from Ole Miss?

It seems that this kid has no clue what a commitment is, so it would be only fair for the Clarion Ledger to ask that question at least 1 a month.

TheDogFather
08-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Alabama didn't want him anyway.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Alabama didn't want him anyway.

I wonder if he committed to Bama and then realized he didn't have a commitable offer?

Strange story to say the least.

engie
08-17-2014, 01:51 PM
He had a committable offer. Jones is a beast.

We've got to get to work on the 2016 class in state or it's going to be a full role reversal from this year....

hailmari
08-17-2014, 01:51 PM
This kid is...I'm just gonna say he's doing it wrong. You don't wanna be burning a bridge to Bama this early.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2014, 01:55 PM

We've got to get to work on the 2016 class in state or it's going to be a full role reversal from this year....

I don't disagree, but it's way too early to worry about 2016 because these kids haven't even played their Junior year yet. Most likely, many of the best players in that class, haven't even been revealed yet.

Plus we already do have a few 2016 commits.

Who even knows who the coaches of MSU and Ole Miss will be by then.

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2014, 02:06 PM

They are putting all of their eggs in that 2016 class. They will sign probably a 18 -20 man class this year , and try and make waves with the 2016 class. Apparently the Laurel kids were recruiting Benito for Ole Miss. Doesn't mean much, 18 months out, but it looks like football recruiting is going the way of basketball recruiting, with kids committing earlier and earlier.

It's so important for us to capitalize on our talent and schedule this year.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2014, 02:10 PM
They are putting all of their eggs in that 2016 class. They will sign probably a 18 -20 man class this year , and try and make waves with the 2016 class. Apparently the Laurel kids were recruiting Benito for Ole Miss. Doesn't mean much, 18 months out, but it looks like football recruiting is going the way of basketball recruiting, with kids committing earlier and earlier.

It's so important for us to capitalize on our talent and schedule this year.

I refuse to get worried about 2016 recruiting. The coaches at MSU and Ole Miss, likely, won't even be the same at that point. The kids that commit this early, usually waffle anyway.

Also, many of the top kids this early have already maxed out and just hit puberty earlier than everyone else. The true super stars with the most upside probably aren't even fully known yet.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Is Talty insinuating somthing?

John Talty ‏@JTalty 42s
A Mississippi kid staying in state is never surprising. But given the way Benito has always talked about Bama, this one is interesting.

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2014, 02:16 PM
I refuse to get worried about 2016 recruiting. The coaches at MSU and Ole Miss, likely, won't even be the same at that point. The kids that commit this early, usually waffle anyway.

Also, many of the top kids this early have already maxed out and just hit puberty earlier than everyone else. The true super stars with the most upside probably aren't even fully known yet.

I hope you are right, but football recruiting is going the way of basketball, with camps all over the place. Also, elite juniors are normally elite seniors.

Norwood, spencer, buckles, McDougal, Pegues, and so many others were stars as juniors. To just think these recruiting services are just going to be wrong, is simply not based in reality.

Now, I could easily see Freeze being out on his ass in two years after losing his third straight egg bowl.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2014, 02:22 PM
I hope you are right, but football recruiting is going the way of basketball, with camps all over the place. Also, elite juniors are normally elite seniors.

Norwood, spencer, buckles, McDougal, Pegues, and so many others were stars as juniors. To just think these recruiting services are just going to be wrong, is simply not based in reality.

Now, I could easily see Freeze being out on his ass in two years after losing his third straight egg bowl.

I agree, these JR stars are usually SR stars, but these guys haven't played their JR year yet, and thus aren't even JR stars yet.

I'm sure the Ole Miss commits are good and will be JR stars, but there will be many others that aren't "on the map" and perhaps some of those will have more upside because they hit puberty later.

This time last year: had you heard of Leo Lewis?, Javon Patterson?, Donte Jones?, Gabriel Campbell?, Tommy Champion?, Mark McLaurin?, Nick Tiano?, Chason Virgil?, Fletcher Adams, etc???

If my memory serves correctly, the only two guys that we kinda knew about were Jamal Peters and Malik Dear.

Some of you high school football junkies may have known some of these guys were going to to be big time recruits before me though.

dawgclub99
08-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Hancock are you saying that Cooley is leaning toward the Bears at this point? Id always heard we were in good shape in Laurel.

defiantdog
08-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Wow.... let's get the 2015 class locked down first. Hell.... let's get this season kicked off first. OM just had to get back in the media somehow, so they flipped a kid who hasn't even started his junior season in high school yet. Who cares.... OM won the day for a kid who just got his drivers' license.

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Hancock are you saying that Cooley is leaning toward the Bears at this point? Id always heard we were in good shape in Laurel.

I have no inside info on Cooley - I haven't heard that we were a leader, but this was in the CL article last week from the Benito kid:

"(Laurel's) Octavious Cooley and Keon Howard want me to come to Ole Miss," he said. "I guess that's where they want to go and they want me to come up there."

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2014, 02:59 PM
My guess is that Benito will flip again at some point. May end up signing with Ole Miss, but guys that commit this early usually waiver because they feel left out of the recruiting process and don't fully understand what a commitment means.

dawgclub99
08-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Wow.... let's get the 2015 class locked down first. Hell.... let's get this season kicked off first. OM just had to get back in the media somehow, so they flipped a kid who hasn't even started his junior season in high school yet. Who cares.... OM won the day for a kid who just got his drivers' license.

Sorry but recruiting is getting further out these days. If you are not looking ahead, you will get left behind.

GreenheadDawg
08-17-2014, 03:02 PM
I have no inside info on Cooley - I haven't heard that we were a leader, but this was in the CL article last week from the Benito kid:

Well that's not good. But no sense in worrying about something so far away

dawgclub99
08-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Well that's not good. But no sense in worrying about something so far away

Yeah Cooley is a beast. He is very under-rated. IDK much about the QB though.

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Sorry but recruiting is getting further out these days. If you are not looking ahead, you will get left behind.

We do have 3, solid 2016 commits already. We aren't getting left behind. I coaches are looking ahead. Ole Miss will get some good players, and we will as well. We will stock up on defensive linemen this year anyway.

Remember that Nkemsldhf;lahs will be gone when Benito plays there. Ole Miss has to replace some guys.

Todd4State
08-17-2014, 03:19 PM

Thank you. These people that are like "well, we'll worry about it later"- that attitude would work in 2004. We're already looking at guys that are freshmen and sophomores now- and that would have been unheard of 7-8 years ago.

And I know that Lane Kiffen got a ton of criticism when he offered and committed that seventh grade QB, but I would not be surprised at all if we start seeing that happen some in the future at least where it's not considered totally out of the norm. And before anyone says it, yes, I do realize that he de-committed and eventually had his offer pulled by Sarkisian at USC.

dawgclub99
08-17-2014, 03:19 PM
We do have 3, solid 2016 commits already. We aren't getting left behind. I coaches are looking ahead. Ole Miss will get some good players, and we will as well. We will stock up on defensive linemen this year anyway.

Remember that Nkemsldhf;lahs will be gone when Benito plays there. Ole Miss has to replace some guys.

I never said that we did not have good 2016 commits. I agree. They will need defense worse than us, but keep in mind. Jones will be gone in that same draft. I was simply responding to people saying that it is too early to worry about recruiting.

maroonmania
08-17-2014, 03:57 PM

Exactly, and our track record of flipping high profile kids that have already committed to another SEC school is pretty bleak. We may end up doing it with Lewis, but he would be one of the few and that hasn't even actually happened yet. Staley flipping from Vandy and Thomas from UT did it last year though so maybe we are turning the corner on it. Lewis might actually end up being the first from in state though. I don't count Quay because he decommitted from OM WAY before he ended up with us.

MarketingBully01
08-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Exactly, and our track record of flipping high profile kids that have already committed to another SEC school is pretty bleak. We may end up doing it with Lewis, but he would be one of the few and that hasn't even actually happened yet. Staley flipping from Vandy and Thomas from UT did it last year though so maybe we are turning the corner on it. Lewis might actually end up being the first from in state though. I don't count Quay because he decommitted from OM WAY before he ended up with us.

Who is talking about Lewis? He isn't committing anywhere any time soon. They were talking about Jones a 2016 recruit....

bulldawg28
08-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Look at these MSU fans talking 2016 recruiting how cute. There aren't many schools heavily recruiting a class that far out. They will however target can't miss guys. Calm down groupies.

BossDawg
08-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Is Talty insinuating somthing?

John Talty ‏@JTalty 42s
A Mississippi kid staying in state is never surprising. But given the way Benito has always talked about Bama, this one is interesting.

You know if Talty is scratching his head there's some sho' nuff silly shenanigans going down under the table. Buttering these "kids" up early I see.

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2014, 09:21 PM
You know if Talty is scratching his head there's some sho' nuff silly shenanigans going down under the table.

I think Talty is now focusing on Alabama recruiting, so hopefully he can go win him a Pulitzer by investigating the bears.

Schultzy
08-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Hijack: it's also interesting that the recruit who sent LOI's to Utah and UM is now at Scooba.

AlSwearengen
08-17-2014, 09:54 PM
You know if Talty is scratching his head there's some sho' nuff silly shenanigans going down under the table. Buttering these "kids" up early I see.

They have laid relatively low for awhile now so it is time for their alumni to make a splash again. They have the Metcalf and Johnson kids that they will claim are leaders of this group and all the others want to play with. Oh well, they will underachieve with this group as well, because half of the kids will not like it in oxford.

MarketingBully01
08-17-2014, 10:56 PM
They have laid relatively low for awhile now so it is time for their alumni to make a splash again. They have the Metcalf and Johnson kids that they will claim are leaders of this group and all the others want to play with. Oh well, they will underachieve with this group as well, because half of the kids will not like it in oxford.

I think the thing I am most disgusted with regarding Ole Miss fans is the obvious Ole Miss trolls pretending to be MSU fans that tweet our prospects and bad mouth them. That to me shows just how rancid and crappy they are. Just terrible. I'll also say I have never seen MSU fans do that. They just play the recruiting game at a whole lower dirtier level from all sides.

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2014, 11:00 PM
I think the thing I am most disgusted with regarding Ole Miss fans is the obvious Ole Miss trolls pretending to be MSU fans that tweet our prospects and bad mouth them. That to me shows just how rancid and crappy they are. Just terrible. I'll also say I have never seen MSU fans do that. They just play the recruiting game at a whole lower dirtier level from all sides.

We have our own twitter crew doing the pretend Ole Miss fan, yet be overtly racist and allegedly pro Ole Miss.

To the MSU fans that are doing this - Please keep it up. I can't do it, but I appreciate the bulldogs that can do it.

Johnson85
08-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Is any offer really committable when you're talking about a rising junior? I understand there are some can't miss prospects as far as the physical aspects go, but if a guy withj all the physical tools goes out there and is just mediocre on the field, you really think Bama is going to honor that offer, or will they start encouraging him to look at other schools and at teh very least, make it clear that if he comes, he's on notice that if he doesn't start performign they'll yank his scholarship after a year?

None of this has to do with Jones in particular, but I don't see why any advisor would let a guy publicly commit this early. Not much upside and if they change their mind about where they want to go, they have to break their 'commitment'.

engie
08-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Is any offer really committable when you're talking about a rising junior? I understand there are some can't miss prospects as far as the physical aspects go, but if a guy withj all the physical tools goes out there and is just mediocre on the field, you really think Bama is going to honor that offer, or will they start encouraging him to look at other schools and at teh very least, make it clear that if he comes, he's on notice that if he doesn't start performign they'll yank his scholarship after a year?

None of this has to do with Jones in particular, but I don't see why any advisor would let a guy publicly commit this early. Not much upside and if they change their mind about where they want to go, they have to break their 'commitment'.

This guy is good enough to name his offer and commit to any school in the country. There's plenty of upside for both the program and the player -- hence why it's allowed to happen.

HancockCountyDog
08-18-2014, 09:58 AM
This guy is good enough to name his offer and commit to any school in the country. There's plenty of upside for both the program and the player -- hence why it's allowed to happen.

Football recruiting is just catching up to Basketball recruiting. Kids are offered as sophomores and freshman in basketball. How many offers has Malik Newman had for over 2 years? Too many to count probably.

Our best commit, Peters, has had offers since before his junior year. Its just the way the recruiting game is going. I trust our coaches are all over it. THey were recruiting juniors last year when our class was basically full by October. Its just smart recruiting.

maroonmania
08-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Who is talking about Lewis? He isn't committing anywhere any time soon. They were talking about Jones a 2016 recruit....

Wasn't specifically talking about Lewis just that if 2016 guys start committing to other SEC schools that our track record hasn't been very good on getting them to reconsider us later. Used Lewis as an unusual example of someone we might have turned our way from Bama but who knows. Point is, we need to get on the ball getting more interest from the elite 2016 guys.

EAVdog
08-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Just remember this when Saban goes in dry and deep in October. I don't think he'll hold back at all.

Will be fun to watch.

Dawgcentral
08-18-2014, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=EAVdog;228818]Just remember this when Saban goes in dry and deep in October. I don't think he'll hold back at all.

Will be fun to watch.[/QUOTE

Exactly. If Saban wants this guy, and he probably does, the recruitment is far from over.

Of course we need to get onto these recruits as early as possible, but like many, I'm not too concerned about a kid committing this early to a rival school. Many things can happen between now and then. That includes the young man's development, his personal life, and the wide spectrum of circumstances at the school to which he's leaning.