PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-16-2014, 09:33 PM
dubmas alert

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014/08/13/cbd-editorial-is-this-what-we-want/

Statecoachingblows**
08-16-2014, 09:39 PM
End of second paragraph..."just getting surviving"
If you can do it, do it. If you can't, bitch about those that can.

Dubmas alert?

IMissJack
08-16-2014, 09:40 PM
So it is ok to build a 110K capacity for football, 20K for basketball, Texas starts a network, fine...But we build a new baseball stadium to keep up with others in the SEC, and it's hurting college baseball? There is going to be a lot of butthurt out there for the next few years because a lot of people will not like teams like MSU, OM, etc. having as much or more money to spend on athletics as most others have. Things have changed and they know it.

Liverpooldawg
08-16-2014, 09:44 PM
In all honesty I LOVE being on THAT side of an argument for a change.

State82
08-16-2014, 09:51 PM
What a buffoon. That was terrible.

messageboardsuperhero
08-16-2014, 09:55 PM
WTF? Why the hell should MSU care about how other small schools do? So we should just go out of our way to NOT have top flight facilities because it's not fair to everyone else? Please... I wish Alabama and A&M had that mentality in football. It's not our job to keep USM and Western Carolina competitive.

Articles like this piss me off. These writers are constantly talking about how schools should invest more in their baseball programs- then when we invest more in it than anyone ever, we're the bad guys? Give me a damn break.

BulldogBear
08-16-2014, 09:58 PM
I feel dumber for having read that. The Florida guy is epic stupid.

maroonmania
08-16-2014, 10:00 PM
And you can be assured that if student athletes start getting paid it will extend to sports well beyond football and men's basketball. The judicial system will make sure of that. They didn't go through all of this Title 9 stuff to only have male athletes get all the additional payments beyond scholarships.

State82
08-16-2014, 10:02 PM
Articles like this piss me off. These writers are constantly talking about how schools should invest more in their baseball programs- then when we invest more in it than anyone ever, we're the bad guys? Give me a damn break.

Exactly. That article was pure garbage. That guy is as much of a journalist as Yancy.

Schultzy
08-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Every single player on the visiting team will much rather be playing at Dudy Noble than they're own park. It was true last year and will be more so when the new stadium is built.

Of course it's good for baseball. Can you imagine the first regional??! That's gonna be cool.

JDog13
08-16-2014, 10:09 PM
I clicked on the thread expecting to hear some kind of Dub Step Christmas music. Instead, I read a shitty article from a shitty writer complaining about Mississippi State. I guess we've arrived.

preachermatt83
08-16-2014, 10:48 PM
http://rockpaperwatch.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/ronsaywhat.gif

Dawg61
08-16-2014, 11:20 PM
This Foley guy was on tv too

http://i.imgur.com/36VLI0e.gif

Todd4State
08-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Did Stephen Godfrey write that crap?

And to answer his question- yes, we all want college baseball to be better than it is.

Excuse us for wanting to be good and wanting to win championships. Excuse us for not accepting mediocrity.

Todd4State
08-16-2014, 11:31 PM
WTF? Why the hell should MSU care about how other small schools do? So we should just go out of our way to NOT have top flight facilities because it's not fair to everyone else? Please... I wish Alabama and A&M had that mentality in football. It's not our job to keep USM and Western Carolina competitive.

Amen. If anything, they should be talking us up. "Look at what MSU is doing".

ShotgunDawg
08-17-2014, 01:03 AM
It really doesn't widen the gap in college baseball one bit, because, as long as the major baseball schools only have 11.7 scholarships, the gap can't be widened. Baseball recruiting is much less about stadium size, big recruiting weekends, and fanbase sizes, as it is about scholarship money.

The team that offers a player the most scholarship money, usually has the best chance to get him.

Todd4State
08-17-2014, 01:10 AM
It really doesn't widen the gap in college baseball one bit, because, as long as the major baseball schools only have 11.7 scholarships, the gap can't be widened. Baseball recruiting is much less about stadium size, big recruiting weekends, and fanbase sizes, as it is about scholarship money.

The team that offers a player the most scholarship money, usually has the best chance to get him.

That's where the stipend question with big 5 gets interesting to me. We don't know what will happen yet with anything really, but if they allow Big 5 schools to give baseball players stipends for tuition, it's basically a scholarship in a different form.

I can't really speculate what they are going to do though.

Dawg61
08-17-2014, 01:38 AM

It'll get adjusted. I am not positive but I watched the LS HS All-Star game in San Diego and I don't remember Vandy having 3 players in that game. MSU did though. The scholarship issue is not an issue with these elite players. MSU is dirt cheap and Cohen and the boys aren't dumb they know how to relieve whatever small tuition might be left for them. Most of the more elite players in baseball come from families that are able to afford a little bit of college tuition fees. They've been paying way more than that to have their son traveling all over USA to play travel ball and go to showcases etc… the players are going to pick the school that best sets them up to get drafted and that has a rich baseball tradition etc.. the little bit of scholarship money they might pay is way down the list. You act like it's number one on the list. It's not. Polk went full mental about this same issue. Don't pull a Polk.**

Political Hack
08-17-2014, 07:29 AM
anytime someone writes an article that discusses college baseball and puts us and LSU in a league of our own, just accept it and smile.

BulldogBear
08-17-2014, 07:55 AM
anytime someone writes an article that discusses college baseball and puts us and LSU in a league of our own, just accept it and smile.

Absolutely. Shouldn't they be rejoicing that college athletics has gone from having a Big 2 to kind of a Big 2.5? This is a recent development. Baseball will always be #3 nationwide probably but this is good for college baseball. It draws attention to it. I know the SEC, ACC, West Coast conferences and a few others are great programs but is the gap between the usual suspect big boys and the others any wider than any other sport?

Dawg61
08-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Just imagine how often we'll get mentioned when this palace is ready for ball

IMissJack
08-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Also, the last time MSU built a baseball stadium it forced every program in the country to do something about their baseball facility. Prior to '86, most of the stadiums in college (SEC included) looked like larger versions of high school stadiums.

gravedigger
08-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Also, the last time MSU built a baseball stadium it forced every program in the country to do something about their baseball facility. Prior to '86, most of the stadiums in college (SEC included) looked like larger versions of high school stadiums.

Never forget, we put over 8800 in our "high school" stadium. That is the wooden bleachers.

We support, then build. We didn't build to keep up with other schools.

Neither did lsu,Texas or a&m.

17 everyone else

IMissJack
08-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Never forget, we put over 8800 in our "high school" stadium. That is the wooden bleachers.

We support, then build. We didn't build to keep up with other schools.

Neither did lsu,Texas or a&m.

17 everyone else

Totally agree. Some of my best memories are at the old Dudy Noble '78-'85 with my Dad and brother.

engie
08-17-2014, 12:43 PM

Exactly.

Ron Polk and the Dudy Noble we built under him essentially gave that guy his "job". That's the funny thing. He's arguing essentially for the retreat of college baseball to a time where he wouldn't have had his "job". Instead of us being the ones to push it forward with the continuance of making it bigger and better.

gravedigger
08-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Are you some alter version of me? Me my dad and brother. Same story.

gravedigger
08-17-2014, 12:55 PM
I think he's committing a fallacy many do in sport and in life. They think parody must show itself in results.

He says that our facilities widen a gap. Perhaps they do. But he needs to pay attention to the budgets. Sure we are sec. But there are plenty with more money than Msu. The gap occurs where schools CHOOSE not to support baseball.