PDA

View Full Version : Things about the new SEC network.

Jack Lambert
08-16-2014, 12:45 PM
First of all it is not very well done. With all the hoop la about it I was expecting more. The analysts are not very good. They need to send them off to get trained a little. Tim T is very knowledgeable but needs to get better in presenting. Marcus Spears is horrible and I don't think he can improve. I also think he going to be a homer and sooner or later he is going to knock the crap out of Paul Finebum. Paul is a dick from the get go and he is the ugliest TV analysts in the history of sports television.

I got a feeling that it is going to become a Alabama and Georgia network during football season and KY and FL during Basketball season. LSU will get some play during football. Everyone else is going to be left out to some extent. They will get a little play so that the network can say we do give play to everyone else.

They are either going to have to get better or get some leg or their ratings are going to suck when there is no football game on.

Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

ShotgunDawg
08-16-2014, 01:02 PM
First of all it is not very well done. With all the hoop la about it I was expecting more. The analysts are not very good. They need to send them off to get trained a little. Tim T is very knowledgeable but needs to get better in presenting. Marcus Spears is horrible and I don't think he can improve. I also think he going to be a homer and sooner or later he is going to knock the crap out of Paul Finebum. Paul is a dick from the get go and he is the ugliest TV analysts in the history of sports television.

I got a feeling that it is going to become a Alabama and Georgia network during football season and KY and FL during Basketball season. LSU will get some play during football. Everyone else is going to be left out to some extent. They will get a little play so that the network can say we do give play to everyone else.

They are either going to have to get better or get some leg or their ratings are going to suck when there is no football game on.

Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

Look at the SEC Network like a new restaurant. You never go to a new restaurant till at least a month after it opens. Usually in the first month, it's complete cluster F$#^. Waitresses aren't getting order right, food is under cooked, etc....

The thing is... the SEC signed a 20 year agreement with ESPN for the SEC Network. They have plenty of time to get it figured out and will. Just don't be disappointed when they suck for the first month or two.

smootness
08-16-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't know why anyone would watch for analysis. I'm just pumped about it b/c of the number of games it will show.

Dawgface
08-16-2014, 01:26 PM
I don't know why anyone would watch for analysis. I'm just pumped about it b/c of the number of games it will show.
Agree. All the fluff means nothing to me. Its just a nw to watch a few games for me.

Smitty
08-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Agree. All the fluff means nothing to me. Its just a nw to watch a few games for me.

Bingo. It's a regional ESPNU.

Statecoachingblows**
08-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Haven't really looked but who will be calling the games?

Jack Lambert
08-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Look at the SEC Network like a new restaurant. You never go to a new restaurant till at least a month after it opens. Usually in the first month, it's complete cluster F$#^. Waitresses aren't getting order right, food is under cooked, etc....

The thing is... the SEC signed a 20 year agreement with ESPN for the SEC Network. They have plenty of time to get it figured out and will. Just don't be disappointed when they suck for the first month or two.

I am still calling Marcus slaps the crap out of Paul before the end of the season.

dickiedawg
08-16-2014, 02:38 PM
There are a few reasons to get excited about SECN, and first-rate analysis is not one of them. Among them:
1) STACKS and STACKS of CASH
10) No more Raycom/JP-style "Will my local station carry it?" games.
11) Mega-expanded coverage of baseball and minor sports, every sec game streaming online probably
12) Expanded revenue stream
13) Improved MSU video department
14) 20 hrs/week AT LEAST of Finebaum** (OK it can't all be positive)

Seriously, though, I haven't had a problem with the analysis except Spearman.
He just comes across as a clueless homer idiot. I do look forward to seeing more Kaylee Hartung, though.

Dawgcentral
08-16-2014, 05:20 PM
If anyone knocks the crap out of Finnebaum at an unexpected time at least once a week, the ratings would skyrocket. That could be like when the ping pong balls dropped onto Captain Kangaroo. Or Kenny getting killed off on every Southpark episode. Big haymaker when he least expects it. THAT'S Entertainment right there.

Dawgowar
08-16-2014, 05:33 PM

This. I watched the other night to see the new shiny toy on my tv. I dumped watching ESPN for anything but the events a long time ago.

shoeless joe
08-16-2014, 08:14 PM
it's owned by ESPN so their agenda and PC zealousness will override any concern for quality programming (notice the travelocity commercial in first hour of the "SOUTH's" channel? That wasn't by accident). And just like has been stated earlier, other than the sporting event itself there is no reason to watch ESPN. the on field product will carry the network and that really is the whole point anyway.