PDA

View Full Version : I have heard nothing about the MI kicker. What gives?

IMissJack
08-15-2014, 09:14 PM
?

preachermatt83
08-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Sobiesk is the starting kicker.. McGrath has to work himself up the depth chart. We all know what will happen here. Sobiesk will suck it up for about 3 games and finally McGrath will get his shot and be a solid kicker for us.

RougeDawg
08-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Sobiesk is the starting kicker.. McGrath has to work himself up the depth chart. We all know what will happen here. Sobiesk will suck it up for about 3 games and finally McGrath will get his shot and be a solid kicker for us.

Let's hope the kicking situation if figured out by game 3. I have a feeling that we will need a kick or two, week four, if we want to win.

PassInterference
08-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Sobs got a little better last year. Wouldn't write him off.

But I'm glad we have another option.

It_Could_Happen
08-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Sobiesk is the starter, Graves is the 2, MI kid is the 3. Heard he hasn't been very impressive at practice.

jbjones
08-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Sobiesk will suck it up for about 3 games and finally McGrath will get his shot and be a solid kicker for us.

Seriously? Evan is a Sophomore. No matter how awesome McGrath may be, Sobiesk deserves a bit more than calling him out before game 1. It's a new season. For the love of Mike, man.

starkvegasdawg
08-15-2014, 09:33 PM
I may be wrong, and hope I am, but I thought I heard that during the last scrimmage neither kicker could hit water out of a boat.

IMissJack
08-15-2014, 09:39 PM
If we lose a chance to go to Atlanta because of a missed 30 yard field goal, I may go insane.

Dawg61
08-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Finkel Einhorn. Looking for Ray Finkel and a fresh pair of pants.

gravedigger
08-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Correct. Matter of fact the michigan kid was clearly inferior. That goes for both leg strength and accuracy.

preachermatt83
08-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Seriously? Evan is a Sophomore. No matter how awesome McGrath may be, Sobiesk deserves a bit more than calling him out before game 1. It's a new season. For the love of Mike, man.

you are right. Im sorry. I just have very very little patience with kickers... YOU HAVE ONE JOB!

War Machine Dawg
08-15-2014, 10:10 PM

Sobiesk only hit 50% of his FGs last year. The same percentage Bell hit. Only Sobiesk has a weak leg, meaning we'd need a 2nd kicker for anything 40+ yards. Well, **** that. Let someone else have a shot.

War Machine Dawg
08-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Bottom line is this: The title change of making Knox the ST Coach was purely cosmetic to appease the fans who are rightfully pissed at Mullen for the abortion we call our Special Teams. We clearly saw that in the MSU All Access preview vid posted earlier today. Mullen knows just enough about STs to completely **** up the Ks & Ps. If we lose games because we can't hit a gotdamn 35 yard FG, his ass should be on the hot seat. There was NO excuse for not moving Sallach off the field over the offseason and using that spot to go hire a real ST guru, and he chose not to make that move for no other reason than loyalty for his buddy. That's Crxxmesque, whether we want to admit it or not. And anything that dumb should come with serious consequences if/when it backfires.

cheewgumm
08-15-2014, 11:16 PM
We're gonna be going for it a lot I bet when we get down close.

preachermatt83
08-15-2014, 11:37 PM
yup.. Knox may be running portions of the ST but Dan is coaching the kickers.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 12:26 AM
We're gonna be going for it a lot I bet when we get down close.

Unless someone steps up, I really hope we do. I'd rather gamble on trying to get 7 and pinning them deep if we turn it over on downs than trust our kickers. That said, at some point this season we'll need a FG in the final minute to win. If we don't have someone capable when that time comes, Dan had better have a damn good answer, both for why we don't have anyone and why the hell he didn't go hire a true ST coach in the offseason.

Todd4State
08-16-2014, 01:23 AM
you are right. Im sorry. I just have very very little patience with kickers... YOU HAVE ONE JOB!

Yeah- it's THAT easy.**

Seriously? That ONE JOB is probably the most pressure packed outside of QB. Let's not act like it's the easiest thing in the world to do on the team.

Todd4State
08-16-2014, 01:29 AM
Unless someone steps up, I really hope we do. I'd rather gamble on trying to get 7 and pinning them deep if we turn it over on downs than trust our kickers. That said, at some point this season we'll need a FG in the final minute to win. If we don't have someone capable when that time comes, Dan had better have a damn good answer, both for why we don't have anyone and why the hell he didn't go hire a true ST coach in the offseason.

This is my biggest fear. We came darn close to losing the Egg Bowl because of special teams, and if we had the tone for us right now is totally different.

And I think special teams is a big reason why we don't have a win over an Alabama, LSU, etc. top 10 team. Not necessarily just because of missed field goals, but mainly because of yards basically given to the opponent in field position because of bad kickoffs, bad coverage on kicks, etc. Little things that aren't always noticeable, but are very important.

Let's say we're playing Alabama and we score a TD to take the lead. And then we kickoff and they get the ball out to the 50- we're basically making it Arena football for their offense and putting our defense in a bind. It just kills momentum.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 01:36 AM
This is my biggest fear. We came darn close to losing the Egg Bowl because of special teams, and if we had the tone for us right now is totally different.

And I think special teams is a big reason why we don't have a win over an Alabama, LSU, etc. top 10 team. Not necessarily just because of missed field goals, but mainly because of yards basically given to the opponent in field position because of bad kickoffs, bad coverage on kicks, etc. Little things that aren't always noticeable, but are very important.

Let's say we're playing Alabama and we score a TD to take the lead. And then we kickoff and they get the ball out to the 50- we're basically making it Arena football for their offense and putting our defense in a bind. It just kills momentum.

Completely agree. Hell, the year we beat Auburn we still gave up a KOR TD to McCalebb. There's a reason The Kang's philosophy for winning football games was "Defense, Field Position, and Special Teams." Wish we could get him to be an "advisor" for our STs. He LOVES coaching STs the way Mullen loves coaching Offense. And that's another reason Mullen needs to give up STs - he doesn't love it and won't invest the time in it learning how to coach it effectively, especially now that he's officially taken over the offensive play calling responsibilities. Hell, the whole reason he gave for naming himself ST coach was that he wanted to let the players know the importance of STs. Well, continuing to cache them without any passion for the job is sending the exact opposite message and absolutely screwing 1/3 of our game in the process. The only thing we've consistently done well on STs under Mullen is Punt and Punt Coverage. Give it up and let someone take over who loves that part of the game and knows what he's doing.

Todd4State
08-16-2014, 01:50 AM
Completely agree. Hell, the year we beat Auburn we still gave up a KOR TD to McCalebb. There's a reason The Kang's philosophy for winning football games was "Defense, Field Position, and Special Teams." Wish we could get him to be an "advisor" for our STs. He LOVES coaching STs the way Mullen loves coaching Offense. And that's another reason Mullen needs to give up STs - he doesn't love it and won't invest the time in it learning how to coach it effectively, especially now that he's officially taken over the offensive play calling responsibilities. Hell, the whole reason he gave for naming himself ST coach was that he wanted to let the players know the importance of STs. Well, continuing to cache them without any passion for the job is sending the exact opposite message and absolutely screwing 1/3 of our game in the process. The only thing we've consistently done well on STs under Mullen is Punt and Punt Coverage. Give it up and let someone take over who loves that part of the game and knows what he's doing.

Exactly. I would be fine with Jackie even being the special teams coach. I mean, we brought back Felker after all.

But my only hang up is he has that lawsuit with XenaReb still out there, and I'm a little leery how that would affect things. And then there's his reputation with the NCAA which is always a concern. The other thing is I'm not sure how much recruiting he would want to do- as in being out there on the road. And I would be fine if he didn't recruit at all if he didn't want to. But that would be one less guy we would have out there.

We should have gone after John Baxter- who is STILL out there, and James Shibest at Memphis who was the ST coach under Nutt.

drunkernhelldawg
08-16-2014, 01:53 AM
Damned depressing thread. Going for it because we can't hit a 45 or under FG is as bush league as it gets. Also hate to hear that Mullen is calling plays. I'd rather see him coaching the overall team. I don't keep up like most of you, but right now I wish we had focused more on the coaching staff this off season.

Todd4State
08-16-2014, 02:18 AM
Damned depressing thread. Going for it because we can't hit a 45 or under FG is as bush league as it gets. Also hate to hear that Mullen is calling plays. I'd rather see him coaching the overall team. I don't keep up like most of you, but right now I wish we had focused more on the coaching staff this off season.

Actually, I think Dan is one of the few coaches that actually CAN call plays and be the head coach. Not very many people can do it- Spurrier, Saban does on defense, etc. But I think Dan can. I'm glad he hired Koenning as OC just in case since we are his first job, but as time went on, I think it became clear that Dan can handle the play calling.

All I want him to do is be the HC/OC. Just stay away from special teams.

And I'll even go a step further and say I would have been OK with Dan coaching the QB's as well. I love Brian Johnson though- so don't get me wrong.

RougeDawg
08-16-2014, 02:56 AM
Actually, I think Dan is one of the few coaches that actually CAN call plays and be the head coach. Not very many people can do it- Spurrier, Saban does on defense, etc. But I think Dan can. I'm glad he hired Koenning as OC just in case since we are his first job, but as time went on, I think it became clear that Dan can handle the play calling.

All I want him to do is be the HC/OC. Just stay away from special teams.

And I'll even go a step further and say I would have been OK with Dan coaching the QB's as well. I love Brian Johnson though- so don't get me wrong.

I'm with you Todd. Dan seems to be one of the few head coaches that can effectively call the offensive plays and read the flow and circumstances of the game at any given time.

As I stated a couple weeks ago, and caught heat for, was that Dan loves trying to fix what isn't broken with our FG kickers. He tinkers with them like a 3rd grader would tinker with Lincoln logs or Legos. Special teams isn't a junior high science project. I just wish dan would realize this.

hacker
08-16-2014, 04:44 AM
Yeah- it's THAT easy.**

Seriously? That ONE JOB is probably the most pressure packed outside of QB. Let's not act like it's the easiest thing in the world to do on the team.

yeah, I totally disagree this is on Mullen. I just totally disbelieve that he is making these kids scared to kick in games. That is essentially what you all are saying. I may be ignorant, but how is he supposed to coach kids to kick field goals? "hey try kicking it a little more to the left so that it goes into the goal this time buddy"

the argument is analogous to coaching free throw shooting. get your ass out there and practice.

if he's not making them practice, then ok, it's his fault.

hacker
08-16-2014, 04:45 AM
He tinkers with them like a 3rd grader would tinker with Lincoln logs or Legos. Special teams isn't a junior high science project. I just wish dan would realize this.

Please cite an example.

hacker
08-16-2014, 04:48 AM
Also hate to hear that Mullen is calling plays.

yeah, he's just so bad at it, as evidenced by his NC at Florida as an OC and last year when the offense was clicking with Dak. I'm sure he's gotten even worse this entire offseason with the team.****************************

C_Rich22
08-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Kicking in practice and in a game are entirely different. The snap, the hold, the timing. A kicker leaves prior to the ball even getting to the holder, a lot of things go through a kicker's mind. Also, the kicker bases his steps off of a specific spot, therefore, if a holder misplaces the ball by a few inches it can change the path of the ball by several degrees. I personally watched adam carlson kick field goals all day long from wherever on the field in practice and make them about 80%, but look what happened in game time. I realize it is one job, but it is not as easy as it looks. Many people compare it to golf.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Anything 40+ is a bit of a crapshoot. But we should be pretty much automatic from 35 and in. I still say the solution is open tryouts. I guaran-damn-tee that we have at least 1 better kicker on campus than what we apparently have now.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Please cite an example.

I know I shouldn't argue with you and fall for your trap, but did you watch the All-Access preview vid? Mullen's knowledge and "coaching" of STs is a joke. He's got these guys thinking way too much instead of just being able to go out there and kick. Exhibit A: Sean Brauchle. The guy was a JUCO AA K. He gets to State and supposedly can't beat out DePasquale? I call bullshit. Mullen f'd him up.

Pollodawg
08-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Totally agree. Mullen needs to do what Mullen does best: Supervise Johnson coaching QBs and be an OC.

drunkernhelldawg
08-16-2014, 09:56 AM
yeah, he's just so bad at it, as evidenced by his NC at Florida as an OC and last year when the offense was clicking with Dak. I'm sure he's gotten even worse this entire offseason with the team.****************************

Just saying that I'd rather the person with the task could put his full attention on it.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Just saying that I'd rather the person with the task could put his full attention on it.

And this is why you're drunkernhell.

bluelightstar
08-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Agree with Mullen calling the plays -- he's like Malzahn in that I think he can handle both duties. Further, we should FINALLY have the offensive personnel to play call like he did at Florida -- which is what actually got him our job. I'm interested to see how this goes too, because Florida fans were ready to run him out of town after the loss to Ole Miss. Something about his playcalling being predictable (there was some meme going around with Dan Mullen's "Wheel of Playcalls" at the time). I'm skeptical on that point, because I think "predictable playcalling" is just some fall-back criticism by fans.

As for special teams, our kicking game disturbs me going into the season. Hopefully, somebody will be able to perform, but I definitely miss DePasquale and Brauchle. They weren't America's greatest kickers, but I wasn't afraid when they trotted out there. For example, Arkansas in 2010 to get to OT -- I wouldn't trust Sobiesk to make that kick at all...

drunkernhelldawg
08-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Agree with Mullen calling the plays -- he's like Malzahn in that I think he can handle both duties. Further, we should FINALLY have the offensive personnel to play call like he did at Florida -- which is what actually got him our job. I'm interested to see how this goes too, because Florida fans were ready to run him out of town after the loss to Ole Miss. Something about his playcalling being predictable (there was some meme going around with Dan Mullen's "Wheel of Playcalls" at the time). I'm skeptical on that point, because I think "predictable playcalling" is just some fall-back criticism by fans.

As for special teams, our kicking game disturbs me going into the season. Hopefully, somebody will be able to perform, but I definitely miss DePasquale and Brauchle. They weren't America's greatest kickers, but I wasn't afraid when they trotted out there. For example, Arkansas in 2010 to get to OT -- I wouldn't trust Sobiesk to make that kick at all...

I just don't like it. We didn't hire him to be OC. If he's taken that over, it means that he trusts no one else. It also means that he has to shoulder accountability for the whole team while having to come up with every play for our offense. I'd much rather a system in which he participates and vetoes but has another coach doing the grunt work. This keeps him from ever working with the defense when our offense is on the field. It's just too high a level of micromanagement for my tastes. I see a lot of minuses and minute benefits. I have no doubt that many good OC''s would love to work at Mississippi State. Nobody''s perfect. That's why people have to work together.

hacker
08-16-2014, 11:05 AM
I know I shouldn't argue with you and fall for your trap, but did you watch the All-Access preview vid? Mullen's knowledge and "coaching" of STs is a joke. He's got these guys thinking way too much instead of just being able to go out there and kick. Exhibit A: Sean Brauchle. The guy was a JUCO AA K. He gets to State and supposedly can't beat out DePasquale? I call bullshit. Mullen f'd him up.

Wasn't a trap. Thanks. I just find it hard to believe that he's making these kids unable to kick in games.

HSVDawg
08-16-2014, 11:44 AM

I agree with this and really don't understand why most of our fans place all of the special teams gripes on FG kicking. People forget that we punted three times out of our own end zone last year, and it resulted in points for the other team ALL THREE TIMES. Against Texas A&M, we lost by 10 points. We had a punt blocked in our own end zone for a TD, and gave up another TD on a kickoff return. Granted, the return TD was called back to our 15 yard line due to celebration penalty, but with Johnny Football starting at the opponent's 15 yard line is an automatic TD every time. So we lost a 10 point game in which we handed over 14 points on a silver platter via special teams. Then you have the Egg Bowl which isn't even a contest if we don't give them a free 7 points on a blocked punt. Bottom line is that our FG kicking is far from our only issue on special teams.

Political Hack
08-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Sobiesk only hit 50% of his FGs last year. The same percentage Bell hit. Only Sobiesk has a weak leg, meaning we'd need a 2nd kicker for anything 40+ yards. Well, **** that. Let someone else have a shot.

dude, he missed 2 because they were blocked while he was working with a new holder. The ones that got past the LOS, he was 3-4. He shanked a PAT last year. That's my biggest concern.

Perspective is in need here.

MadisonDawg
08-16-2014, 12:05 PM
MI kicker has been drilling line drives all camp, not the savior some of you thought he was. Devon Bell has been holding in practice the past week since Dak was relieved of the duties.

MadisonDawg
08-16-2014, 12:07 PM
dude, he missed 2 because they were blocked while he was working with a new holder. The ones that got past the LOS, he was 3-4. He shanked a PAT last year. That's my biggest concern.

Hack gets it. Kicking a ball in freezing temps to win the game isn't hard or a lot of pressure either**

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 12:13 PM

When a FG gets blocked, it's usually because the K hit it on a trajectory that was too low. That doesn't earn you slack. Hopefully he improves, but I still think leg strength is a valid concern. Hell, forget McGrath, our best hope may be Graves. He's got a HUGE leg based on what I saw in the M&W Game.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 12:17 PM
I agree with this and really don't understand why most of our fans place all of the special teams gripes on FG kicking. People forget that we punted three times out of our own end zone last year, and it resulted in points for the other team ALL THREE TIMES. Against Texas A&M, we lost by 10 points. We had a punt blocked in our own end zone for a TD, and gave up another TD on a kickoff return. Granted, the return TD was called back to our 15 yard line due to celebration penalty, but with Johnny Football starting at the opponent's 15 yard line is an automatic TD every time. So we lost a 10 point game in which we handed over 14 points on a silver platter via special teams. Then you have the Egg Bowl which isn't even a contest if we don't give them a free 7 points on a blocked punt. Bottom line is that our FG kicking is far from our only issue on special teams.

Can't disagree too much with this. I don't remember us giving up a KOR TD against aTm, but I may be having a mental block. What aggravated me was the punt Baker dropped, and instead of running out of the endzone for a safety, he tried to punt it, got it blocked, TD. That's an inexcusable mental breakdown for a senior. Can't really put that one on Mullen, imo. Swedenburg has to have his head in the ****ing game and be aware of the situation.

The Federalist Engineer
08-16-2014, 01:06 PM
If we lose a chance to go to Atlanta because of a missed 30 yard field goal, I may go insane.

Bottom line is this: The title change of making Knox the ST Coach was purely cosmetic to appease the fans who are rightfully pissed at Mullen for the abortion we call our Special Teams. We clearly saw that in the MSU All Access preview vid posted earlier today. Mullen knows just enough about STs to completely **** up the Ks & Ps. If we lose games because we can't hit a gotdamn 35 yard FG, his ass should be on the hot seat. There was NO excuse for not moving Sallach off the field over the offseason and using that spot to go hire a real ST guru, and he chose not to make that move for no other reason than loyalty for his buddy. That's Crxxmesque, whether we want to admit it or not. And anything that dumb should come with serious consequences if/when it backfires.

Damn common sense

Todd4State
08-16-2014, 01:13 PM
When a FG gets blocked, it's usually because the K hit it on a trajectory that was too low. That doesn't earn you slack. Hopefully he improves, but I still think leg strength is a valid concern. Hell, forget McGrath, our best hope may be Graves. He's got a HUGE leg based on what I saw in the M&W Game.

I remember watching Graves kick in high school and he was solid, but not anything spectacular. Now, maybe he has improved a lot since then- but based on what I saw out of high school, I don't know that he's the answer.

I still at this time, until proven otherwise, think that the guy that most likely ends up being our kicker is going to be Reed Bigham from Tupelo who will be a freshman walk-on.

And of course, he will get the job only after we go through an absolute circus of place kicking.

MarketingBully01
08-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Also will add that the kickers were 7/7 with the long being a 53 yard field goal in last nights scrimmage. I think we are in better shape at kicker then anyone realizes. Thought I would add this here since all I saw was the doom and gloom of our kickers.

maroonmania
08-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Also will add that the kickers were 7/7 with the long being a 53 yard field goal in last nights scrimmage. I think we are in better shape at kicker then anyone realizes. Thought I would add this here since all I saw was the doom and gloom of our kickers.

Well that would be nice considering that is only 2 short of the total number of FGs we made ALL of last season.

War Machine Dawg
08-17-2014, 12:56 AM
I remember watching Graves kick in high school and he was solid, but not anything spectacular. Now, maybe he has improved a lot since then- but based on what I saw out of high school, I don't know that he's the answer.

I still at this time, until proven otherwise, think that the guy that most likely ends up being our kicker is going to be Reed Bigham from Tupelo who will be a freshman walk-on.

And of course, he will get the job only after we go through an absolute circus of place kicking.

They let him kick one from about 50 in the M&W Game. He pushed it wide, but it had the distance for 60. He absolutely CRUSHED it. And I can't bitch too much about missing one from 50 or more. That's about as big a crapshoot as you can have as a kicker. Gotta hit it low but not too low, wind, everything comes into play at that distance.

War Machine Dawg
08-17-2014, 12:58 AM

But aGAIN, that's been the entire problem. These guys look all-world in practice, then like absolute Bear shit in games. Hard to believe things will improve until we actually see it happen in a game.

Todd4State
08-17-2014, 01:14 AM
But aGAIN, that's been the entire problem. These guys look all-world in practice, then like absolute Bear shit in games. Hard to believe things will improve until we actually see it happen in a game.

Dan to the press after one of our kickers nails a cheerleader on the sideline with a failed extra point: "Well, we can only go by what they do in practice. He was hitting them from 65".

Dawg61
08-17-2014, 01:47 AM
We should start a men's soccer team at MSU and fill it with nothing but field goal kickers and the best two get a spot on the football team. Who cares if we suck at soccer when our team has 20 field goal kickers on it. We are bound to find a couple good ones that way.**

Political Hack
08-17-2014, 07:22 AM
We should start a men's soccer team at MSU and fill it with nothing but field goal kickers and the best two get a spot on the football team. Who cares if we suck at soccer when our team has 20 field goal kickers on it. We are bound to find a couple good ones that way.**

I concur.

MarketingBully01
08-17-2014, 09:46 AM

The kickers can't win. My point about posting this is that people on here were saying the kickers were looking like crap this year even in practice which the 7/7 with a long of 53 refutes that statement.

Bully13
08-17-2014, 10:51 AM
the video of MI dude someone posted when he walked on looked impressive. the dude was driving the ball right up the middle time after time. why does he all of a sudden suck? oh and yes, I don't know shit about field goal kicking or coaching ST. I just watch the games and bitch when things don't go my way.