PDA

View Full Version : left field loungers

drummerdawg
08-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Thoughts/concerns with the new Dude?

I just talked to a lounger about his thoughts on the renderings and he had mixed feelings. He was fine with the permanent structures, however he's not sure about if he will get one or not because he heard that the new structures only seat about 6 people and he has 20+ on his now. He was concerned about pricing compared to what he pays now and what's he's able get out of it compared to what he might with the new ones. He believes its getting too corporate and will lose a lot of what makes it special.

Also after watching Paps on the sec network last night and hearing him talk about the rows of seats on the homemade rigs and opening a hood of a truck and seeing a BBQ pit or something like that, started making me think the LFL might lose some of its flare.

Now, I'm all for the new stadium and think it looks great and when I first saw the new left field I was pleased at first glance. Its just LFL is a totally original tradition and I'm hoping we don't lose something special we had.

dickiedawg
08-15-2014, 11:20 AM
I'm concerned about the size of them as well. It's not out of the ordinary for us to have groups of 20 on our rig. I know the spots will be smaller than our current oversized rig, but if they truly only seat 6-8 folks that's just not useful.

C222
08-15-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm one and I'm not concerned. I believe there will several options for us to choose from.

DudyDawg
08-15-2014, 11:47 AM
I just hope size is similar again as far as capacity. We probably had 75 people on top and on the deck at SBW this year. As long as they are flexible, I'm happy

BulldogBear
08-15-2014, 11:56 AM
so, there are going to be prefab rigs? In the rendering I thought it looked more like just another stadium with seats in the outfield, though awesome that it is.

dawgoneyall
08-15-2014, 11:57 AM
We are State and a cluster fu*k will occur.

I can see a cold/cool Tues game with 25 people there.

Dawg61
08-15-2014, 12:14 PM
So the same 100 people just get to keep buying their same spots for what a couple hundred bucks plus season tickets and nobody else ever gets the chance to have a spot? The people that were lucky enough to be in Starkville the day the spots went up for grabs have had it made for 40 years now. Only those same 100 get to be owners of spots in LFL? I am sure they love that but what about the 500,000 MSU alumni that have come through the doors ever since that day the spots went up for grabs? None of us gets the chance to own one because we weren't in Starkville during that lucky time period? Not fair. Be more fair. For all MSU fans and alumni. I am sorry that they are losing their spots but for fu@ks sake they've gotten to be kings for 40 years out there and nobody else has had the opportunity to be the new kings. Quit crying cause they've had it made for 40 years. Nobody wants to hear them complain.

C222
08-15-2014, 12:23 PM
So the same 100 people just get to keep buying their same spots for what a couple hundred bucks plus season tickets and nobody else ever gets the chance to have a spot? The people that were lucky enough to be in Starkville the day the spots went up for grabs have had it made for 40 years now. Only those same 100 get to be owners of spots in LFL? I am sure they love that but what about the 500,000 MSU alumni that have come through the doors ever since that day the spots went up for grabs? None of us gets the chance to own one because we weren't in Starkville during that lucky time period? Not fair. Be more fair. For all MSU fans and alumni. I am sorry that they are losing their spots but for fu@ks sake they've gotten to be kings for 40 years out there and nobody else has had the opportunity to be the new kings. Quit crying cause they've had it made for 40 years. Nobody wants to hear them complain.

Way to ruin another thread.

Dawg61
08-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Way to ruin another thread.

Sorry you don't like it.

messageboardsuperhero
08-15-2014, 12:31 PM
After seeing the renderings, I have full faith in Stricklin and the design team to get this right. Their heads are in the right place.

And if for some reason there are problems with the lounges after the first season, they'll make the changes and fix them. Stricklin and the architects should have our full confidence with them and this project at this point.

Mjoelner34
08-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Well, first, I don't think you can call it Left Field Lounge anymore. It's now box seating with grills in the outfield.

What would the fanbase say if we announced we were replacing cowbells with inflatable maroon clapper sticks with cowbells painted on them because of the liability of people getting bashed in the head. But, we'll call the clapper sticks cowbells so nothing really changes AND, we get the added bonus of more people being able to share the experience because clapper sticks can be banged together throughout the game and not just at certain times. That's what we've done to the LFL. Totally change it from what it was, called it the same name, try to make it accessible for everybody and not just those that had spots and convince everybody that nothing changed. The ONE big difference though is that people HAVE been bashed over the head with bells yet the university spends money to keep cowbells.

I'm not a spot owner out there but I do help pay for the spot I'm in and my opinion of the new stadium is that it is awesome and better than I expected with the exception of what they did to the lounge. I haven't spoken with the guy that owns the spot I'm on but I know that two other regulars on our rig feel the same way I do. All in all I've spoken to about 20 other regulars and/or sight owners out there and only 1 person was ok with it and he wasn't exactly thrilled. It just didn't bother him as much. Does this mean that I and those others won't be back? I don't know. Maybe those people that have been on the 'waiting list' for years will finally get their shot but it won't be the same.

Speaking about the size of the 'boxes', I made a point about that on the Pack. We comfortably seat 20 on our rig and usually only have that many for SEC weekends with good weather. If we're forced to a box with 6 to 10 seats, I can promise you that when the extra 10 show up that used to sit on our rig, they are going to stand on the concourse next to our 'box' to visit, eat and watch the game. Now, multiply that by 86 'boxes' and tell me how this magical 'more access' they're trying sell is working for you.

I think this is the first step in them getting rid of the leases for the spots in the outfield so they can bid them out year by year so people who show up for 1 weekend a year can take pictures and say "LOOK! I'VE GOT A SPOT IN THE LEFT FIELD LOUNGE!" to which I'll say, "No. No you don't. Your sitting in a box with a grill behind you."

maroonmania
08-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Yes, there will be change that people will have to adjust to. No way for the university to take over the layout out there and make it "liability-proof" and that no happen. However, as long as people can cook their food and drink their beer in the outfield everything will turn out OK.

godlluB
08-15-2014, 12:44 PM
I think this is the first step in them getting rid of the leases for the spots in the outfield so they can bid them out year by year so people who show up for 1 weekend a year can take pictures and say "LOOK! I'VE GOT A SPOT IN THE LEFT FIELD LOUNGE!" to which I'll say, "No. No you don't. Your sitting in a box with a grill behind you."

Everything you just said in this entire post...in spades.

Dawg61
08-15-2014, 12:47 PM
as long as people can cook their food and drink their beer in the outfield everything will turn out OK.

This! And I am one of those lucky enough to get access out there but what about the thousands and thousands of MSU fans that don't know somebody out there or want to experience a MSU baseball game. They should be able to. They pay tuition and end up being alumni and if they don't know already existing lot owners/friends than they might go 4-5 years at MSU and never attend a baseball game and that just should never happen. LFL needs to become more accessible to all MSU fans not just the same lucky ones for four decades now.

1bigdawg
08-15-2014, 12:51 PM
This is just another change. I preferred it when they opened the gates and people drove in for every game. When LT let people put up their own semi-permanent stands as a way to raise money off the deal, I thought it took away from the spontaneity and charm. We used to bring our grills and coolers and stand on the fence and it was the best ever.

Those who then "laid claim" to certain sections with their purchased spots were always nice, but it took a lot of the fun away for me and I am sure for a lot of the students.

This will probably move more in that direction, but I find it hard to feel sorry for those who did not mind shutting others out when it changed 25 years ago.

Johnson85
08-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Its just LFL is a totally original tradition and I'm hoping we don't lose something special we had.

We will lose some of it. No way to avoid it. The new stadium looks awesome enough that I think it will end up being a good tradeoff, and hopefully it will still be a great atmosphere, even if it's not quite as organic.

tcdog70
08-15-2014, 01:13 PM
The new stadium will be awesome. But Left Field lounge will be a thing of the past. there will be some kind sterile excuse for LFL, but another MSU tradition will bite the dust.-Oh well, progress is a BITCH. The uniqueness and warmth of something that only MSU has in the LFL will be no more.