PDA

View Full Version : Lineup and/or rotation changes for Regional play....

CadaverDawg
05-20-2013, 10:18 PM
I am not expecting us to change anything in terms of pitching rotation and/or batting order, but I wanted to see if anyone else thought we might see some changes.

Also, if you could change anything going into Regional play, what would it be?

Sandman14
05-20-2013, 10:20 PM
less Armstrong. everything else looks good.

CadaverDawg
05-20-2013, 10:26 PM
I actually think I would leave our rotation the same, mainly because that would put Pollo going against the #4 seed, and then Graveman and Lindgren going against our tougher opponents. In my opinion our rotation is perfect for how I'd like our pitching matchups to be in a Regional.

As for the lineup...obviously you probably don't mess with something that has been working, but I would want to see a lot more of Frost and Porter, and a lot less of Armstrong. Who do we DH against a left handed pitcher?? I think Cohen needs to drop the matchup thing for our DH if our only RH option is Armstrong, and go with Frost or Porter. Porter is not good against lefties, but maybe we could at least put Frost in there and let him do some bunting to at least give us a chance at a hit. Armstrong just isn't a SEC hitter IMO.

Thoughts?

Sandman14
05-20-2013, 10:46 PM
You simply can't mess with the rotation at this point IMHO.

I'd love to see more Porter against righties, but he has been getting action there..just not against lefties. I'd like to see more Frost as well. Whatever the reason, I just think Armstrong has been given plenty of opportunities lately and has not been effective.

Why has Robson been neglected all the sudden? not that I love robson at the plate or anything...

CadaverDawg
05-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Why has Robson been neglected all the sudden? not that I love robson at the plate or anything...

Because we didn't see a single RH starting pitcher against South Carolina. We will probably see him this week...but not until at least the 3rd game because Mizzou and USC will start lefties.

theloungeinleft
05-20-2013, 11:05 PM
When I think of Armstrong, I don't think of an SEC hitter nor a DH.

Will James
05-20-2013, 11:10 PM
If Slauter can hold a bat he's gotta be your DH vs LHP. I think we ****ed up with Flair this year. We could have obviously used him vs SC.

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 07:13 AM
If Slauter can hold a bat he's gotta be your DH vs LHP. I think we ****ed up with Flair this year. We could have obviously used him vs SC.

Just a question, how is this so? What are you basing this on? The fact he batted over .500 in less than ten at bats against SWAC pitching? Clearly, they dont think hes a good hitter at this stage or he'd have had more opportunities. As for slaughter, I don't like dh'ing your back up catcher. Especially when he's not a great hitter. For that matte he's not even a good hitter. Now, I'm not promoting armstrong for our rh dh, I'd rather hit porter all the time myself.

Will James
05-21-2013, 07:23 AM
If your question is about Flair, I think he's better than Armstrong and if Cohen absolutely
wants a RH vs a LHP Flair > Armstrong. Slauter can't hit? Just like Porter huh. No track record with either of those guys*

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 07:35 AM
If your question is about Flair, I think he's better than Armstrong and if Cohen absolutely
wants a RH vs a LHP Flair > Armstrong. Slauter can't hit? Just like Porter huh. No track record with either of those guys*

Yes it was about flair. So you are basing this off of at bats against the swac. Whereas the staff is basing it off of the entire fall and spring.........I said slaughter wasn't a good hitter. As for track record, it's not like he wore it out last year, he didn't, he hit .232, this year .237. I like him as a player-catcher, handles the p staff great.I dont like him as a dh.

Will James
05-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Yes it was about flair. So you are basing this off of at bats against the swac. Whereas the staff is basing it off of the entire fall and spring.........I said slaughter wasn't a good hitter. As for track record, it's not like he wore it out last year, he didn't. I like him as a player-catcher, handles the p staff great.I dont like him as a dh.

Im basing Flair off of potential and because Armstrong has not been good. Its a "can't be much worse" situation. Also I regret to inform you that Slauter had the 2nd most walks on the team last year with a higher on base than Renfroe and Bradford. This year even through injuries and slumps he's only 8 points behind Rea in on base percentage.

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 08:12 AM
I know slaughters stats. Which say he's a guy who has never hit .240. Again, I'm not for Armstrong. Just not for slaughter, for multiple reasons.

Will James
05-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Counting this and last season Trey Porter has reached base 53 times in ways that reflect nothing in batting average.

Counting this and last season Mitch Slauter has reached base 64 times in ways that reflect nothing in batting average.

Stop telling me about batting average.

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Counting this and last season Trey Porter has reached base 53 times in ways that reflect nothing in batting average.

Counting this and last season Mitch Slauter has reached base 64 times in ways that reflect nothing in batting average.

Stop telling me about batting average.

That's right, it's clearly an unimportant stat because you don't recognize it. I forgot you are the guru.

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm confused why slaughter isn't going to get drafted- he had a higher obp than Renfroe did last year he should have been on their radar. And getting on base is important, but it doesn't make one a good hitter. No one gets drafted because their obp is high alone.

Original48
05-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I think Cohen needs to drop the matchup thing for our DH if our only RH option is Armstrong, and go with Frost or Porter. Porter is not good against lefties, but maybe we could at least put Frost in there and let him do some bunting to at least give us a chance at a hit. Armstrong just isn't a SEC hitter IMO.

Thoughts?
This.

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Too add to this Slaughter has struck out 28 times in 93 Ab's. That's 30% of the time. I'm sure you have a stat to tell me someway that's productive.

Will James
05-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Too add to this Slaughter has struck out 28 times in 93 Ab's. That's 30% of the time. I'm sure you have a stat to tell me someway that's productive.

Well, K% is actually measured in plate appearances not at bats. And strikeouts aren't statistically that much worse than other outs. But here is our K% leaders.

Fullerton
33.30%

Armstrong
31.50%

Hann
25.70%

Rea
24.00%

Slauter
23.50%

Robson
21.20%

Britton
21.10%

Norris
20.80%

Henderson
17.20%

Frost
16.50%

Renfroe
14.60%

Detz
14.00%

Ammirati
14.00%

Bradford
13.40%

Porter
11.90%

Pirtle
10.30%

Frazier
8.70%

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Well, K% is actually measured in plate appearances not at bats. And strikeouts aren't statistically that much worse than other outs. But here is our K% leaders.

Fullerton
33.30%

Armstrong
31.50%

Hann
25.70%

Rea
24.00%

Slauter
23.50%

Robson
21.20%

Britton
21.10%

Norris
20.80%

Henderson
17.20%

Frost
16.50%

Renfroe
14.60%

Detz
14.00%

Ammirati
14.00%

Bradford
13.40%

Porter
11.90%

Pirtle
10.30%

Frazier
8.70%

You just said all I need to know. Strikeouts aren't much worse than any other out. Only one good thing can happen if you strikeout. That happens one out of 100 maybe. So that's plain ******* stupid. Isn't that why you want a strikeout guy to come in w runners on? Strikeouts equal ZERo production. Putting it in play allows for your luck to come into play.

Will James
05-21-2013, 10:06 AM
You just said all I need to know. Strikeouts aren't much worse than any other out. Only one good thing can happen if you strikeout. That happens one out of 100 maybe. So that's plain ******* stupid. Isn't that why you want a strikeout guy to come in w runners on? Strikeouts equal ZERo production. Putting it in play allows for your luck to come into play.

It is worse, but not as much as people think. For example, a K is not as bad as a double play. The K is a lot better for pitchers than it is bad for hitters.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2013/4/1/4165664/how-can-strikeouts-be-great-for-pitchers-but-not-that-bad-for-hitters

It actually makes a ton of sense.

Coach34
05-21-2013, 10:09 AM
When I think of Armstrong, I don't think of an SEC hitter nor a DH.

summed up perfectly

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Agreed.

Original48
05-21-2013, 10:22 AM
And to add to that..when I think DH, I don't think 9th in the batting order.

CadaverDawg
05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Not trying to get involved in this debate, but Slauter is 10 times the hitter Armstrong is right now. Slauter gives us an experienced SEC hitter that knows what it means to work a count, draw a walk, spoil pitches, and typically he has a great plate approach.

granted, he has struggled as of late, but no worse than Armstrong. Plus, Slauter is a leader and I like him in big situations. Especially in post season play where he has experience.

Far more to the Slauter/Armstrong debate than batting average.

I think everyone is so determined to disagree with Will, that they are not thinking logically. Would you really rather have Armstrong batting than Slauter in the postseason?

engie
05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Do not like Armstrong doing anything but pinch running at this point. Agreed.

That said, I'm keeping Henderson in the game right now. He seems to be warming up with the weather...

CadaverDawg
05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Do not like Armstrong doing anything but pinch running at this point. Agreed.

That said, I'm keeping Henderson in the game right now. He seems to be warming up with the weather...

Yep. For whatever reason, this is Henderson's favorite time of year. I'm keeping him in there, at least until he goes cold....because he is very streaky

engie
05-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Yep. For whatever reason, this is Henderson's favorite time of year. I'm keeping him in there, at least until he goes cold....because he is very streaky

Him getting going will magnify Frasier getting going... Would love for Frasier and Detz to start getting some consistent RBI opportunities...

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Not trying to get involved in this debate, but Slauter is 10 times the hitter Armstrong is right now. Slauter gives us an experienced SEC hitter that knows what it means to work a count, draw a walk, spoil pitches, and typically he has a great plate approach.

granted, he has struggled as of late, but no worse than Armstrong. Plus, Slauter is a leader and I like him in big situations. Especially in post season play where he has experience.

Far more to the Slauter/Armstrong debate than batting average.

I think everyone is so determined to disagree with Will, that they are not thinking logically. Would you really rather have Armstrong batting than Slauter in the postseason?

I don't know who this was intended for. But I never ever said I wanted armstrong. I said I didn't want slaughter, for multiple reasons. One, he's not a good hitter. Two, I dont like using my other catcher to start as dh because it prevents you from making moves later in the game without running a risk of having a pitcher hit. My vote is porter. Or go w frost. Just not those 2.

CadaverDawg
05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Him getting going will magnify Frasier getting going... Would love for Frasier and Detz to start getting some consistent RBI opportunities...

Yea me too. If we can keep getting decent performance from the bottom of the lineup AND we can get Renfroe back to hitting...we will be a very tough out in the post season. Of course, our starting pitching will play a role as well, but to be honest with you, I think we have struggled with starting pitching so much this year that it doesn't really affect us anymore as a team. Our relievers are used to going longer distances, and it seems to have made them better as we've gotten later in the season. So the pitching doesn't really worry me that much.

CadaverDawg
05-21-2013, 11:12 AM
I don't know who this was intended for. But I never ever said I wanted armstrong. I said I didn't want slaughter, for multiple reasons. One, he's not a good hitter. Two, I dont like using my other catcher to start as dh because it prevents you from making moves later in the game without running a risk of having a pitcher hit. My vote is porter. Or go w frost. Just not those 2.

It was meant for you, but I'm not trying to be argumentative, just discussing.

And I think it is wrong to make a blanket statement like "Slauter is not a good hitter". You are basing that on his average, and there is far more to hitting than your batting average. I just disagree that he is a bad hitter. He gets on base....that's a good hitter to me.

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 11:23 AM
It was meant for you, but I'm not trying to be argumentative, just discussing.

And I think it is wrong to make a blanket statement like "Slauter is not a good hitter". You are basing that on his average, and there is far more to hitting than your batting average. I just disagree that he is a bad hitter. He gets on base....that's a good hitter to me.

Discussion is good, thats fine. First, make sure you understand this wasn't a slaughter vs armstrong discussion. Not on my end. I don't like Armstrong in the lineup and have said it multiple times. As for a good hitter, I'm aware there is more than avg. however, contrary to some belief, avg is a viable stat. In a year and a half, I'm taking out injury, slaughter is a .235 hitter. That length of time helps eliminate luck. Hes been consitent forthat time. Sorry, that's not a good hitter, IMO. I'm not saying he should never be on the field- just not as a dh.
ETA, if and I repeat if he hit for power, I'd have different thoughts. But he doesn't.

CadaverDawg
05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Discussion is good, thats fine. First, make sure you understand this wasn't a slaughter vs armstrong discussion. Not on my end. I don't like Armstrong in the lineup and have said it multiple times. As for a good hitter, I'm aware there is more than avg. however, contrary to some belief, avg is a viable stat. In a year and a half, I'm taking out injury, slaughter is a .235 hitter. That length of time helps eliminate luck. Hes been consitent forthat time. Sorry, that's not a good hitter, IMO. I'm not saying he should never be on the field- just not as a dh.
ETA, if and I repeat if he hit for power, I'd have different thoughts. But he doesn't.

Again, you're basing how good he is off of his batting average. And I never said average wasn't a viable stat, but if you agree there is more to a good hitter than batting average, why are you ignoring the other stats that you say are important?

Did you know that Porter has 6 career HR and Slauter has 4? And they have exactly the same number of doubles in their careers, but Slauter has 2 triples to Porter's 0. So the "power" argument doesn't really work either.

Porter has about a .20 better batting average, but Slauter has a better OBP%.

So basically what I'm saying is...I would probably prefer Porter as well, but to say Slauter is a "bad hitter" but be an advocate for Porter doesn't really make sense bc Slauter's numbers are as good or better for the most part. So if we're going to have to have a RH DH for Cohen, it makes a ton of sense to go with Slauter.

But I can agree to disagree...and I think we would both rather see Porter at DH right now, or even Frost, than Armstrong.

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Again, you're basing how good he is off of his batting average. And I never said average wasn't a viable stat, but if you agree there is more to a good hitter than batting average, why are you ignoring the other stats that you say are important?

Did you know that Porter has 6 career HR and Slauter has 4? And they have exactly the same number of doubles in their careers, but Slauter has 2 triples to Porter's 0. So the "power" argument doesn't really work either.

Porter has about a .20 better batting average, but Slauter has a better OBP%.

So basically what I'm saying is...I would probably prefer Porter as well, but to say Slauter is a "bad hitter" but be an advocate for Porter doesn't really make sense bc Slauter's numbers are as good or better for the most part. So if we're going to have to have a RH DH for Cohen, it makes a ton of sense to go with Slauter.

But I can agree to disagree...and I think we would both rather see Porter at DH right now, or even Frost, than Armstrong.
I admit that this year it's close and they have equal Ab's. But last year porter played everyday and was more productive and proved he could do it. I know this year isnt last year but he hasn't had the opportunity to repeat his succes. Slaughter, while he has been injuried and has been limited as well, he's numbers are around here they were last year. Also, the second part of my reasoning is just as important. What happens if ammo goes down with foul tip off his finger. Well guess what, we have a pitcher hitting in his spot the rest of the game or use a pinch hitter ever time. And less flexibility to run or pinch hit for either of them because you don't have a catcher. I'm sure renfroe could go in an emergency but that's not what anyone wants for extended innings. Your "emergency" catcher and lose your right fielder who is a plus defender.

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Also, I never said he was a bad hitter, just not a good one. Just for clarification.

Will James
05-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Also, I never said he was a bad hitter, just not a good one. Just for clarification.

Hes not a cleanup hitter but if healthy he's a starter. Gimme Slauter at C Porter DH and Ammo as a switch hitting PH off the bench.

Homedawg
05-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Hes not a cleanup hitter but if healthy he's a starter. Gimme Slauter at C Porter DH and Ammo as a switch hitting PH off the bench.

I don't have a problem w this. But right now I like ammo behing the plate. He has a much better arm and his offensive numbers are better against better pitching.