PDA

View Full Version : Shepard Smith and a real rivalry...

Dawg4Life
08-14-2014, 09:06 PM
So Papelbon starts the segment off with the obvious statement of "you're either State or Ole Miss" which we all know is true. We've all lived it and know that to be a fact (unless you didn't go to school, then you're a Bama fan, but I digress). So Shepard is to come back with something along the same lines, but NOOOOO...because "when MSU plays us, it is there Super Bowl." This was subsequent to his "only hatred he ever felt was toward LSU" statement. He then says something about only caring after losing a couple of times (try 13 out of the last 23, asshole).

Look, I get it. I took Psychology 101 myself. Pretend not to care, that is the ultimate slap in the face. Here is the thing though, what makes a rivalry? In Shep's life, how many LSU fans did he encounter in high school, college, local events, etc.? He grew up in north Mississippi...how can you hate LSU? Because grandpappy told you about the good ole days? You saw a clip of Billy Cannon? LSU has won like 90% of the games in the last 30 years. That is a rivalry?

I have some wonderful UM friends. We play golf together, work together, went to professional school together, and I was even in a couple of weddings. The reason it is a rivalry is because we cannot talk for days after the Egg Bowl no matter who wins. They hate Starkville...I hate Oxford. It is cultural. We are not coonasses, we are Mississippians. My friends readily admit that they hate MSU and all things associated and vice-versa. We love it. We have a true rivalry because we interact.

So, why is it guys like Smith keep up this rhetoric? My question to Shep is "why do you make cow jokes in reference to Starkville on Fox News if you don't care?" Man up...own it...we have beat your ass for many, many years now and frankly have owned you in the other sports during the same time frame. Your fake LSU rivalry is cute for the older guys but it really makes no sense socially or athletically in today's time. But I guess "manning up" isn't really Shep's deal.

Homedawg
08-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Now that was quality!!!

AlSwearengen
08-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Like you said, Psy 101. By trumpeting that line, it makes them feel like they are one of the big boys while at the same time belittling us. He is probably reading this post right now (while he gets a pedicure) telling himself that he accomplished his mission and that is to drive some State fans crazy.

msstate7
08-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Like you said, Psy 101. By trumpeting that line, it makes them feel like they are one of the big boys while at the same time belittling us. He is probably reading this post right now (while he gets a pedicure) telling himself that he accomplished his mission and that is to drive some State fans crazy.
While it gets state fans mad, it makes him look ridiculous.

IMissJack
08-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Not to the casual fan who doesn't know better, and that is what he and they are counting on. Just like acting like they are academic giants; Everyone in MS knows they have the same entrance requirements as MSU and are lower than most other schools due to judicial enforcement.

msstate7
08-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Not to the casual fan who doesn't know better, and that is what he and they are counting on. Just like acting like they are academic giants; Everyone in MS knows they have the same entrance requirements as MSU and are lower than most other schools due to judicial enforcement.

The casual fan isn't watching this crap. The casual fan is watching law & order or whatever show is on right now

IMissJack
08-14-2014, 09:27 PM
Maybe, but a lot of people were talking about it at work today that I don't consider hard core SEC fans (Houston, TX)(not Aggies)

Dawg4Life
08-14-2014, 09:30 PM

Amen. This is exactly what he, and others who spew this rhetoric desire to achieve. My point is that it is a really strange position to take on a show about rivalries and the SEC. Dufner admits to hating Alabama...Emmit hates Georgia...and so on. UM just breeds and encourages these very strange people that make up or ignore facts to propagandize an "I'm better than you" message. It's just so damn weird...

shoeless joe
08-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Perception is more important than reality. He really is a perfect spokesman for that university. He embodies the stereotype to a T.

Liverpooldawg
08-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Shep is from Holly Springs and never graduated from UM. He is the UM version of a Bammer.

Dawg61
08-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Today I hate Ole Miss more than I hated Ole Miss yesterday. Tomorrow I will hate Ole Miss more than I hate Ole Miss today.

Bully Dee Williams
08-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Today I hate Ole Miss more than I hated Ole Miss yesterday. Tomorrow I will hate Ole Miss more than I hate Ole Miss today.

This!

War Machine Dawg
08-14-2014, 09:50 PM
So Papelbon starts the segment off with the obvious statement of "you're either State or Ole Miss" which we all know is true. We've all lived it and know that to be a fact (unless you didn't go to school, then you're a Bama fan, but I digress). So Shepard is to come back with something along the same lines, but NOOOOO...because "when MSU plays us, it is there Super Bowl." This was subsequent to his "only hatred he ever felt was toward LSU" statement. He then says something about only caring after losing a couple of times (try 13 out of the last 23, asshole).

Look, I get it. I took Psychology 101 myself. Pretend not to care, that is the ultimate slap in the face. Here is the thing though, what makes a rivalry? In Shep's life, how many LSU fans did he encounter in high school, college, local events, etc.? He grew up in north Mississippi...how can you hate LSU? Because grandpappy told you about the good ole days? You saw a clip of Billy Cannon? LSU has won like 90% of the games in the last 30 years. That is a rivalry?

I have some wonderful UM friends. We play golf together, work together, went to professional school together, and I was even in a couple of weddings. The reason it is a rivalry is because we cannot talk for days after the Egg Bowl no matter who wins. They hate Starkville...I hate Oxford. It is cultural. We are not coonasses, we are Mississippians. My friends readily admit that they hate MSU and all things associated and vice-versa. We love it. We have a true rivalry because we interact.

So, why is it guys like Smith keep up this rhetoric? My question to Shep is "why do you make cow jokes in reference to Starkville on Fox News if you don't care?" Man up...own it...we have beat your ass for many, many years now and frankly have owned you in the other sports during the same time frame. Your fake LSU rivalry is cute for the older guys but it really makes no sense socially or athletically in today's time. But I guess "manning up" isn't really Shep's deal.

Are we really surprised? You should know Shep is going to spread their propaganda of 1) LSU is their real rival 2) They don't care about beating MSU 3) Beating them is our Super Bowl 4) We're obsessed with them. If you were expecting something different, I don't know what to tell you. It aggravated me too, but I wasn't surprised. Furthermore, for a school he claims to have no hatred for and care nothing about, notice he would never call us by our name and threw out every stereotypical derogatory comment about us.

I would normally tell Shep to suck my dick, but a) I don't swing that way and b) he'd enjoy it. 4/5 is really in their heads.

War Machine Dawg
08-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Shep is from Holly Springs and never graduated from UM. He is the UM version of a Bammer.

Exactly. I thought it was fitting as hell the the celeb fans for both Bama & TSUN never attended school there.

RougeDawg
08-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Based on all time records, compared to theirs against LSU I guess we could count LSU as a rival also. They aren't that much different.

Pollodawg
08-14-2014, 10:01 PM
The only real rivalries are instate rivalries.

ShotgunDawg
08-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Threads like this really make us look petty, smalltime, and like a little brother. You guys never learn.

BeardoMSU
08-14-2014, 10:11 PM

Excellent 9th post, man.

http://replygif.net/i/1118.gif

hailmari
08-14-2014, 10:13 PM
I live twenty minutes from where Shep grew up. He encountered no LSU fans. ZERO. Unless he mistook Memphis State fans, he's full of crap.

engie
08-14-2014, 10:14 PM
I have a really funny story about Shep that I'll post one day when I have time...

Dawg61
08-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Threads like this really make us look petty, smalltime, and like a little brother. You guys never learn.

Oh do please teach us then

ShotgunDawg
08-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Oh do please teach us then

Why do we care how much they hate us?

We will continue to beat them either way.

RougeDawg
08-14-2014, 10:32 PM
I have a really funny story about Shep that I'll post one day when I have time...

Did you catch Shep and Yancy going at it in the bathroom at the library one night?

CadaverDawg
08-14-2014, 10:35 PM
It's actually pretty representative of what each school is about just by looking at the guests.

We chose a star athlete that came to MSU, worked his ass off, and made it to the pros and has a lot of young followers.

Ole miss chose a gay, sidewalk fan, that has nothing to do with sports, most people dislike, no young people even know who he is, and has an unwarranted sense of elitism.

Sounds about right.

Normal folks see right through that persona. That's why I don't care a bit.

Boya
08-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Shep smith....Houston nutt's best friend

Clanga
08-14-2014, 10:39 PM
The question I want to ask is does LSU even care? I mean seriously, the game has some history, but do LSU fans today really even care that much about lil' Ole University of Mississippi. There is nothing worse than an unrequited rivalry, but I guess that's what we experience with the Bearsharks since we aren't their true rival.****

Dawg61
08-14-2014, 10:41 PM

UMiss mentioned us numerous times. We would talk about LSU or Bama or Auburn if they mentioned us as much too. I'd have to watch it again to be sure but I don't think another university mentioned MSU once. So we talk about UMiss. Cause they suck and we hate them. Or we could just break down all of what Mullen said during is miked up air-time.

engie
08-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Did you catch Shep and Yancy going at it in the bathroom at the library one night?

Not quite. But what I witnessed was probably more detrimental to his psyche. Amazing how easily some famous people with weak egos that are used to having their asses kissed can be broken down to nothing with a well-placed and quick-witted verbal jab. The best part is when he later realized that the guy who insulted him was actually someone he couldn't "bully" out of bars up there.

Basically had a buddy of mine call him a weatherman when we were out in Oxford one night. You'd have to know the guy that did it -- but it ripped Shep to bits when he did. It's a visual that you never forget. All the people that Shep was entertaining that night thought it was the funniest thing they had ever heard -- only adding to his ego destruction. Proceeded to rustle him so badly that he tried to get my buddy kicked out. I'm sure that normally works for people like him -- but my buddy's last name is on a bunch of stuff on campus up there(not actually him -- but his uncle and granddad who have long-standing names in the Oxford community -- so he still gets the treatment). Once it was established that the bar owner knew my buddy's family from way back, we all had a good laugh about it and drank on the house the rest of the night.

I can never look at the dude say a thing without thinking about how he got destroyed by a single sentence by what he viewed as a lowly peasant...

Perpetual Underachiever
08-14-2014, 11:00 PM
...an unwarranted sense of elitism.

This phrase is perfect. I plan to use this often over the next 5 months.

Just text a huge LSU supporter. Not a walk-on tiger, a true 3rd generation graduate, season ticket holding, coonass Tiger. This was there response:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2hqv1hg.jpg

BulldogBear
08-14-2014, 11:03 PM
This must be on the latest "SEC Storied." I DVRed it and haven't watched it yet. I figured they use Eli or Archie. Just perfect that they pick a typical beardoucheshark.

SDDawg
08-14-2014, 11:35 PM
LSU doesn't care about Ole Miss and never has. They view that game as no different than playing us. That tell you all you need to know about this "rivalry"...

RiverCityDawg
08-15-2014, 06:58 AM

This. They are obsessed with the IDEA that we are obsessed with them. Pure narcissism. Why feed it?

CottonDog
08-15-2014, 07:53 AM
The LSU fan on that show last night said that Ole Miss was their real rival. Said he'd rather beat OM than Bama. I could care less who OM thinks their real rival is.

DownwardDawg
08-15-2014, 08:05 AM
The LSU fan on that show last night said that Ole Miss was their real rival. Said he'd rather beat OM than Bama. I could care less who OM thinks their real rival is.

He would be the 1st LSU fan I've ever heard say that. I work in cajun country and live here about half the time. I am surrounded by LSU season ticket holders. Not ONE of them views ole miss as a rivalry game. They all tell me that their rival changes. Right now it's Bama, and has been since Saban got there. It was Auburn for a while. Some of them view Florida as their rival while others point to Arkansas and the battle of the boot.

Bubb Rubb
08-15-2014, 08:06 AM
I'm of a different opinion. Let them say those things. We'll keep whipping that ass.

We all know the truth: they absolutely can't stand losing to us. The hate drove them so hard that they actually once hired PIs to follow our coaches around. They responded to three losses in a row by purchasing a recruiting class and pissing off half the SEC in the process. They hate us and hate losing to us. We as State fans are getting used to the sour look on their faces when they lose the egg bowl. You know that look: "what just happened?? That's not supposed to happen!" It's beautiful.

So, Shep can say that the Egg Bowl's not that big of a deal to him, and that's fine. Until it is, they are going to keep getting that ass kicked.

Coach34
08-15-2014, 08:09 AM

I live in Louisiana and I don't know 1 LSU fan born since 1970 that gives a shit about Ole Missus

SDDawg
08-15-2014, 08:18 AM
I live in Louisiana and I don't know 1 LSU fan born since 1970 that gives a shit about Ole Missus

You could post this 10,000 times and it wouldn't be enough.

Tripp McNeely
08-15-2014, 08:21 AM
1) When you beat somebody 80% of the time you play them (Shep's right), it quits being a rivalry game.
2) Shepard Smith is the perfect embodiment of the institutional douchiness than runs rampant through that place. We know it, everybody else in the SEC knows...they're the only ones that don't. Ask another SEC fan their opinion of Shepard Smith. The answer is universal...and the fact that they think he is actually someone that they want to run out there and champion as a representative of their school adds more fire to their delusion...I thought it was great...."world, i'd like you to meet the face of om's douchebaggery....the face of om's douchebaggery...I'd like you to meet the rest of the world".

scottycameron
08-15-2014, 08:29 AM
I expected it from Shep, he hates us and is a douche. What was the deal with the dbag democrat lib who came on spouting off and backing up shep's bullshit story? Carville or something? As soon as I saw his lips moving I knew it was all made up canned crap. I guess they paid his crooked ass to read a script.
That whole segment was BS and the worst part of an otherwise outstanding debut show.

hells bells
08-15-2014, 08:43 AM

I always like to see Mr. Fair and Balanced mention the Egg Bowl every time we kick there ass. Nothing. As far as it goes Shepy is only gay when he is in Oxford.

engie
08-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Virginia still calls Carolina their rival -- although Beamer has taken them to the wood shed how many times in the past 15-20 years?

GreenheadDawg
08-15-2014, 08:52 AM
I live in BR and promise you nobody here sees ole miss as a rivalry. Granted, they hate OM but do not see them as a rivalry.. Like always they are a legend in their own mind

MadDawg
08-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Granted, they hate OM

Who doesn't? If that was the criteria they have a real rivalry with the rest of the world.

maroonmania
08-15-2014, 08:59 AM

I seriously would not be shocked if I heard this given the seemingly obvious sexual orientation of both.

ScoobaDawg
08-15-2014, 09:18 AM
It has to be a rivalry I mean they got a trophy and all...

msstatelp1
08-15-2014, 09:22 AM
I expected it from Shep, he hates us and is a douche. What was the deal with the dbag democrat lib who came on spouting off and backing up shep's bullshit story? Carville or something? As soon as I saw his lips moving I knew it was all made up canned crap. I guess they paid his crooked ass to read a script.
That whole segment was BS and the worst part of an otherwise outstanding debut show.

Carville did admit that he was "a child of the 50's" and started hating Ole Miss "when they were good". Older LSU fans may still see them as a rival but the younger ones (born since 1970 like C34 said) do not.

BulldogBear
08-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Carville did admit that he was "a child of the 50's" and started hating Ole Miss "when they were good". Older LSU fans may still see them as a rival but the younger ones (born since 1970 like C34 said) do not.

^this

...remember I grew up in Natchez where unfortunately LSU fandom outnumbers State, UMiss, and Uzzum combined about 15 or 20 to 1. Never once in my life did I hear LSU people giving any more attention to Ole Miss than they did us or any other SEC game. I learned about Billy Cannon through my own father. If there is any "rival" feeling to Ole Miss and LSU it is among the older Tigers. For those under 60, it is only in Bearshark minds. They don't even realize the fanbase is laughing at them when they came up with this "Magnolia Bowl" trophy and crap. LSU thinks of Ole Miss in exactly the same way as Ole Miss tries to convince themselves they think of us.