PDA

View Full Version : Lots of injuries up north in the defensive backfield.

Leroy Jenkins
08-14-2014, 04:54 PM
As KJS would say Tee's down with a toe, Chief has an achilles, and Carlos Davis has an ACL.

ShotgunDawg
08-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Just one step closer to Koolio having to play. I can't wait

Coach34
08-14-2014, 05:14 PM
they arent all lost for the season huh? That would suck if so

Coach34
08-14-2014, 05:15 PM

I cant see Koolio tackling a 3rd grader. Please let him play....pleaseeeeeeeee

Covercorner2
08-14-2014, 05:20 PM
They are all done for the year

Leroy Jenkins
08-14-2014, 05:21 PM
they arent all lost for the season huh? That would suck if so

Tee's reportedly having surgery, Chief's achilles was last month; so unless hes superman.... The internets say Davis (the only guy on the team who can reliably field a punt) has MRI to confirm ACL tomorrow, initial estimation is torn.

PassInterference
08-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Bears say they are stacked deep at DB. No problems.

vv83
08-14-2014, 05:39 PM
That's crazy. What is their projected starters and first subs at DB for their first game?

War Machine Dawg
08-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Damn, hate seeing kids get hurt. But that said, WMD's prediction for TSUN is coming true. They gonna suuuuuuck. DBs dropping like flies and 3/5 of their starting OL, much less their 2nd string, unsettled. #BearSharkProblems

Todd4State
08-14-2014, 05:43 PM

Is Kalio even showing up to practice?

starkvegasdawg
08-14-2014, 06:02 PM
I cant see Koolio tackling a 3rd grader. Please let him play....pleaseeeeeeeee

Too busy living in a gangsta's paradise?

Joliet Jake
08-14-2014, 06:05 PM
With their offensive line situation, they were going to be relying upon that defense a great deal this year. While none of their big name players have sustained serious injury, they can't afford for that side of the ball to take a beating as well. Won't be hard for good coaches to gameplan to neutralize those super stars and let the superior depth take over.

Saltydog
08-14-2014, 06:11 PM
their cornerbacks..........

Coach34
08-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Losing these guys kills your Nickel and Dime packages- which is what teams have to use a lot these days because of the Spread and Hurry-up offenses. The 3rd and 4th CB guys are now actually your 5th and 6th best guys due to injury

mic
08-14-2014, 06:50 PM
They were already thin at CB before these injuries . That's the reason Kailo moved there in the spring.
They will be playing freshman at CB a lot this fall...

RougeDawg
08-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Damn, hate seeing kids get hurt. But that said, WMD's prediction for TSUN is coming true. They gonna suuuuuuck. DBs dropping like flies and 3/5 of their starting OL, much less their 2nd string, unsettled. #BearSharkProblems

What are you talking about, haven't you read all these articles talking about how great they will be because of their recruiting classes??**

BeastMan
08-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Not as bad as it seems. Derrick Jones and Senquez Gholsen are solid at corner. Tony Conner at hybrid safety. Mike Hilton is the swing guy at both. Trae Elston at SS and Cody Prewitt at FS. I think Alford backs up either safety position but you have CJ Hampton if needed. As long as they don't have any more injuries this year, they'll be ok even in their nickel and dime packages. Any more injuries and it will start getting very dicey

Coach34
08-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Not as bad as it seems. Derrick Jones and Senquez Gholsen are solid at corner. Tony Conner at hybrid safety. Mike Hilton is the swing guy at both. Trae Elston at SS and Cody Prewitt at FS. I think Alford backs up either safety position but you have CJ Hampton if needed. As long as they don't have any more injuries this year, they'll be ok even in their nickel and dime packages. Any more injuries and it will start getting very dicey

But that's the point- it's highly unlikely that secondary makes it thru 12 games injury free. They are gonna have to come up and tackle Derrick Henry at some point

Leroy Jenkins
08-14-2014, 07:22 PM

You just listed 5 safeties and 2 corners and 1 "swing guy". IMO you need more than 2 CBs if you are going to run 70-80 snaps a game. I say rotate WRs and take them deep until they eventually cant keep up.

mic
08-14-2014, 07:29 PM
You just listed 5 safeties and 2 corners and 1 "swing guy". IMO you need more than 2 CBs if you are going to run 70-80 snaps a game. I say rotate WRs and take them deep until they eventually cant keep up.

Exactly..
Not many SS and FS can play CB..
As good as he played for us at S , how many times did everyone curse Nickoe in man coverage.

mic
08-14-2014, 07:31 PM
But that's the point- it's highly unlikely that secondary makes it thru 12 games injury free. They are gonna have to come up and tackle Derrick Henry at some point

And they run 4-2-5 base defense..
Those next 5 DB's are going to be very inexperienced..

msstate7
08-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Exactly..
Not many SS and FS can play CB..
As good as he played for us at S , how many times did everyone curse Nickoe in man coverage.

Or cox being forced to play cb. Cox was a juco all American safety with an Alabama offer, but he looked completely lost at cb for the most part.

Covercorner2
08-14-2014, 07:56 PM
They have 4 corners right now (Golson, Jones, Webster who is a freshman, and Hilton who moved back from husky). What this means tho is that now CJ Moore (another freshman) is now the backup husky. So they have 2 true freshman backups at husky and corner. Like someone said, it seems like they are deep in the secondary, but most of those guys play safety

BeastMan
08-14-2014, 10:34 PM
It's definitely not ideal but it's not full meltdown status yet. Anything else it will be

FISHDAWG
08-14-2014, 10:38 PM
what's next ... Channing Ward and Jeremy Liggins at corner ?

thunderclap
08-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Liggins is an NFL corner, just rather not use him there.

BeastMan
08-15-2014, 09:24 AM
They have 4 corners right now (Golson, Jones, Webster who is a freshman, and Hilton who moved back from husky). What this means tho is that now CJ Moore (another freshman) is now the backup husky. So they have 2 true freshman backups at husky and corner. Like someone said, it seems like they are deep in the secondary, but most of those guys play safety

CJ Moore will not play husky unless multiple injuries occur. Hilton is the first off the bench at either CB or Husky. If he had to play CB & Conner went down, Anthony Alford would play Husky. Take that to the bank

Covercorner2
08-15-2014, 09:58 AM
In that scenario, they would still have two true freshman as first off the bench (Webster and Hampton). So point still remains.

Also, if another corner goes down and Hilton moves to corner, who are the next CBs in line? Either true freshman, guys with no experience, or guys playing out of position. I see what you're saying how Hilton is actually the backup husky, but if that's the case then they only have 3 legit corners, and one is a true freshman

BeastMan
08-15-2014, 10:08 AM
In that scenario, they would still have two true freshman as first off the bench (Webster and Hampton). So point still remains.

Also, if another corner goes down and Hilton moves to corner, who are the next CBs in line? Either true freshman, guys with no experience, or guys playing out of position. I see what you're saying how Hilton is actually the backup husky, but if that's the case then they only have 3 legit corners, and one is a true freshman

Im definitely not arguing that it's ideal. If they have 1 more CB injury, it will get bad. If they can avoid that, they can piece together a solid defensive backfield. Honestly, I think they are in more trouble on DL than DB. Any DE injury & you're looking at either moving Shakelford back or Carlos Thompson/Channing Ward & that's if Haynes doesn't beat both them out. DT has a nice 3-man rotation of Nkemdiche, Gross, & Hamilton. Any of those go down and you get paper thin b/c Cummings hasn't lived up to the hype yet & none of the other vets have shown much.

The reason I say DB isn't as big of a deal if b/c they have a ton of utility type guys they can mix and match. Hell, Alford could be their best CB and I'm not exaggerating one bit. On DL, you don't have that mixing and matching flexibility. They are 1 DL injury from going 3-man front but they'll do some of that anyway but an injury would force it more than they'd like I'm sure.

Covercorner2
08-15-2014, 10:43 AM
I hear ya on their overall DB depth. I just think the majority of the guys are husky/safety types, not corners. Like someone else said, there's a big difference between safety and corner

sandwolf
08-15-2014, 11:43 AM
They are 1 DL injury from going 3-man front but they'll do some of that anyway but an injury would force it more than they'd like I'm sure.

Who do they have to play the nose with a 3 man front?

BeastMan
08-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Who do they have to play the nose with a 3 man front?

Woodrow Hamilton is perfect. Nkemdiche is unconventional but could be a nasty NG. Cummings could be a NG. Their ideal 3-man front would be Woodrow Hamilton, Nkemdiche, and Fadol Brown.