PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Mullen "runs his mouth" too much?

MadDawg
08-14-2014, 10:37 AM
I've heard this forever with the bear faithful. I can understand it too. With the early days of "This is Our State" and such, you knew and understood why the bears didn't like hearing him. Owning their ass to the tune of 4 out of 5 eggbowls didn't help. But I'm hearing it from other folks too. Most notably, on Weiner's show. He basically said more than once last night that Dan needed to tone down the talk, or stop running his mouth, about winning championships until we are actually on our way to Atlanta. Really? Do we really want that? A coach that doesn't talk about the ultimate goal of winning a championship, whether SEC or the Big Prize?

On the flip side, I did enjoy him calling out the bear fans that claim that MSU wins more eggbowls lately because "we care about it more" or "it's the only game on their schedule they care about" or "the game is way more important to them than it is to us". He basically called all that talk b.s. and a loser mentality. Told the bears to shut up and show up and win a game every now and then. Thought that was funny.

TheRef
08-14-2014, 10:39 AM
To answer your question: Dan doesn't run his mouth too much. Bear fans are just pissed off because we've owned them for the past 4 years according to SEC standings and 4 out of the last 5 years according to the Egg Bowl. The ultimate goal of every program is to be in Atlanta at the end of the year for the SEC Championship and any coach that says otherwise (besides saying the goal is a NC) is asinine.

TrapGame
08-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Well, Bucky would run his mouth too...if he could get his front teeth out of the way.

Coach34
08-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Just rival fans being butthurt over being owned.

Nobody disputes that Mullen needs a big win or two this year. We have the team to do it- let's get it done

FISHDAWG
08-14-2014, 10:53 AM
anything Dan does to piss off the bears is absolutely cool by me

EAVdog
08-14-2014, 11:01 AM
If you don't state your goals then you really don't have them. Everyone in the SEC West has the same goal.

I'd be pissed if Mullen came with an attitude of saying "we're just happy to be here and hopefully make a low level bowl as we help Bama/LSU/Auburn on their way to Atlanta". Because that really is the alternative.

maroonmania
08-14-2014, 11:05 AM
I think the first couple of years Mullen may have gone a bit overboard at times but I think it may have been for the benefit of the MSU fans more than anything else because I think we were somewhat beaten down with a loser mentality of sorts given the 2001-2008 years. Plus, Mullen was a bit younger and brasher at that time with his first HC gig. Over the last few years though Mullen has definitely toned things down a bit and I don't really know why any fan of another SEC school would have a problem with him at this point. About the only time he says much of anything anymore is in retaliation to something done or said about MSU.

Dawg61
08-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Other fans love our coach when we suck. Other fans hate our coach when we don't suck. I would rather not suck than have other fans love our coach. Everybody under the sun not associated with MSU loved Sly Croom. Cause we sucked.

Liverpooldawg
08-14-2014, 11:18 AM
No. The fact that he does it just get under their skin and it does just makes it better.

thunderclap
08-14-2014, 11:22 AM
No

War Machine Dawg
08-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Other fans love our coach when we suck. Other fans hate our coach when we don't suck. I would rather not suck than have other fans love our coach. Everybody under the sun not associated with MSU loved Sly Croom. Cause we sucked.

Exactly. We're supposed to be one of the conference doormats that rolls over for the Big Boys on their way to titles. We've said Hell No to that idea, and so their fans are pissed. I love it.

And fwiw, haters gonna hate.

Dawgface
08-14-2014, 11:48 AM
No. In fact he seems to keep a fairly low profile these days.

Boodawg
08-14-2014, 11:54 AM
I thought weiner was just going to let them say what they did and agree with them at first, but then he came back with " That's all just loser talk". I laughed at that. He said it about 2 different callers when I heard. 1 guy talked about Bo having a bad game because he was injured, and that they should've won it on 2 missed field goals or something. Weiner just went along, and then said " That's loser talk as well, did you forget that State had to play with their 3rd string QB". Not to mention the turnovers that were not reviewed.

engie
08-14-2014, 12:03 PM
To be perfectly honest, I go both ways on it depending.

When we're winning, I love it. Throw every barb you can. When we aren't, it sucks. Because you get the brunt of ALL the hostility that had been stored up from all the talking before. Just keep winning and I'll keep loving it.

blacklistedbully
08-14-2014, 12:27 PM
On a related subject, did anyone else notice M&W Nation writer/blogger Justin Strawn wrote in one of his articles that , "we care more about the Egg Bowl than they do"?

Can't believe he said that. What kind of idiot, supposedly an MSU fan would think this, much less publish it in an article on an MSU-related website? Even if one considers it a viewpoint held by some MSU fans, there's no way in hell it's held by the vast majority.

Dawg61
08-14-2014, 12:32 PM
On a related subject, did anyone else notice M&W Nation writer/blogger Justin Strawn wrote in one of his articles that , "we care more about the Egg Bowl than they do"?

Can't believe he said that. What kind of idiot, supposedly an MSU fan would think this, much less publish it in an article on an MSU-related website? Even if one considers it a viewpoint held by some MSU fans, there's no way in hell it's held by the vast majority.

We do care more about the Egg Bowl than UMiss. That isn't a knock on us. We care about every game more than UMiss does. They care more about getting drunk in the grove and wearing red pants and blue bow ties.

SDDawg
08-14-2014, 12:38 PM
I'd like to see Dan run his mouth a little more actually, especially when we beat them in Oxford this year. Can we take control of the video board?!

PassInterference
08-14-2014, 12:40 PM
To be perfectly honest, I go both ways on it depending.

When we're winning, I love it. Throw every barb you can. When we aren't, it sucks. Because you get the brunt of ALL the hostility that had been stored up from all the talking before. Just keep winning and I'll keep loving it.

What you get for losing is a rival team rushing the field like they just won the superbowl. That's OK. I like what we're doing.

BrunswickDawg
08-14-2014, 12:40 PM
We do care more about the Egg Bowl than UMiss. That isn't a knock on us. We care about every game more than UMiss does. They care more about getting drunk in the grove and wearing red pants and blue bow ties.

Eggactly!

Reason2succeed
08-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Mullen likes to talk trash. I can see it in his eyes. It pains him that we haven't won enough big games to talk the trash he wants to. Can you imagine what Mullen REALLY thinks about Bama, LSU and Auburn. But when they have been owning you like they have he can't say much without sounding like a whiner. So, I pray to God that we win some big games so that we can hear him rip Saban, Malzahn, and Miles.

blacklistedbully
08-14-2014, 01:09 PM

No way. That's a fallacy, and part of the BS that Ole Miss fans try to sell in an effort to perpetuate their false sense of superiority. They have ALWAYS cared just as much. Rivalries like ours don't become the extremely bitter thing ours is unless both sides care equally. Even on a national scale, our rivalry is known and viewed by many in the sports professions as one of the most rabid due to how much each side really seems to hate the other.

Even their legendary coach, John Vaught had said, "Never forget that Mississippi State is your rival!"

“(Vaught) always said, ‘Never forget that Mississippi State is your rival,’” Alford says. “And he wanted to beat them.”
Khayat can speak to the pressure on the Rebels when they met Mississippi State. In 1957, he was a sophomore charged with kicking the point-after that would forge a late 7–7 tie. He had tried dozens of such kicks before, but none so important. “If I had missed it, I might have been hanged,” he says.

There is no way the athletes themselves cared more than the fans. Usually, in fact, it's the opposite, fans care more than the athletes. Those of you who think our fans care more than theirs have, IMO, bought into the snake-oil TSUN fans have been trying to sell for years.

Dawg61
08-14-2014, 01:25 PM
No way. That's a fallacy, and part of the BS that Ole Miss fans try to sell in an effort to perpetuate their false sense of superiority. They have ALWAYS cared just as much. Rivalries like ours don't become the extremely bitter thing ours is unless both sides care equally. Even on a national scale, our rivalry is known and viewed by many in the sports professions as one of the most rabid due to how much each side really seems to hate the other.

Even their legendary coach, John Vaught had said, "Never forget that Mississippi State is your rival!"

“(Vaught) always said, ‘Never forget that Mississippi State is your rival,’” Alford says. “And he wanted to beat them.”
Khayat can speak to the pressure on the Rebels when they met Mississippi State. In 1957, he was a sophomore charged with kicking the point-after that would forge a late 7–7 tie. He had tried dozens of such kicks before, but none so important. “If I had missed it, I might have been hanged,” he says.

There is no way the athletes themselves cared more than the fans. Usually, in fact, it's the opposite, fans care more than the athletes. Those of you who think our fans care more than theirs have, IMO, bought into the snake-oil TSUN fans have been trying to sell for years.

Haha not at all bro. You fall for the easiest of trolls by the UMiss fan. They tell you they don't care because it bothers you. Funny thing though is that they actually do not care as much as us because half their fans don't know a damn thing about football. UMiss cares about the Egg Bowl. Yes. UMiss doesn't care more about the Egg Bowl than MSU does though because UMiss is a bunch of stuck up pricks that half of them don't even watch the fu@king football games. So how could they possibly care more than us? Again they care more about telling everyone how awesome of a lawyer they will be and booking weekend trips to the lake to take out daddy's new boat he bought em. UMiss still doesn't have a decent website with a good forum for their fans to talk about football and other sports. They are too busy with their expensive lives to be bothered with it. UMiss is image focused first and only. They want to look good and rich ALL THE TIME. Nothing else matters EVER except being pretty and being rich at Ole Miss.

blacklistedbully
08-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Haha not at all bro. You fall for the easiest of trolls by the UMiss fan. They tell you they don't care because it bothers you. Funny thing though is that they actually do not care as much as us because half their fans don't know a damn thing about football. UMiss cares about the Egg Bowl. Yes. UMiss doesn't care more about the Egg Bowl than MSU does though because UMiss is a bunch of stuck up pricks that half of them don't even watch the fu@king football games. So how could they possibly care more than us? Again they care more about telling everyone how awesome of a lawyer they will be and booking weekend trips to the lake to take out daddy's new boat he bought em. UMiss still doesn't have a decent website with a good forum for their fans to talk about football and other sports. They are too busy with their expensive lives to be bothered with it. UMiss is image focused first and only. They want to look good and rich ALL THE TIME. Nothing else matters EVER except being pretty and being rich at Ole Miss.

They may not care as much about watching the game, attending the games, etc, but they absolutely DO care as much as we do about winning the game.

Political Hack
08-14-2014, 01:39 PM
there isnt a university out there that needed a shot of arrogance more than Mississippi State.

Flap those gums baby!!!

Reason2succeed
08-14-2014, 01:47 PM
there isnt a university out there that needed a shot of arrogance more than Mississippi State.

Flap those gums baby!!!

AMEN!!! When I hear some of the negativity and pessimism out of our fan base it makes me want to puke. We hedge our bets. We play it safe emotionally. We never want to sound like we actually believe in our teams. We assume the worse. We think that curses of Dead Indians and Death Valley are real. Mullen needs to talk crap and back it up so that our fans will take their heads out of the sand and be proud of Mississippi State.

Dawg61
08-14-2014, 02:12 PM
They may not care as much about watching the game, attending the games, etc, but they absolutely DO care as much as we do about winning the game.

Why do you take that as a sign of disrespect? MSU has better fans. MSU cares more. When a team knows they are going to get beat when it matters the most and a fan base does too they then start the healing process by stating that they don't care as much. See it hurts less when you say it doesn't matter to you as much. That's what UMiss is doing. Have you ever gotten your ass kicked in something and you immediately say "eh fu@k it I don't care anyways" and then all of a sudden you feel better about it. That's what's happening here. Don't let UMiss get under your skin so easily blacklisted.

BrunswickDawg
08-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Flap those gums baby!!!
That is what was so fun about the DPR in the late 90s. It gave us a shot of arrogance.

Coach34
08-14-2014, 03:25 PM
It just comes with being passionate about your school and your team.

As a 12 year old in 1981 I literally scared my mother with what came out of my mouth when Dick Pace cheated us in that Egg Bowl.
I would have never hit that Rebel fan with a cowbell in the chops in 1995 had he not gotten in my face talking shit after they upset us.

But its a rivalry game- and it brings out the best and worst in all of us

blacklistedbully
08-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Why do you take that as a sign of disrespect? MSU has better fans. MSU cares more. When a team knows they are going to get beat when it matters the most and a fan base does too they then start the healing process by stating that they don't care as much. See it hurts less when you say it doesn't matter to you as much. That's what UMiss is doing. Have you ever gotten your ass kicked in something and you immediately say "eh fu@k it I don't care anyways" and then all of a sudden you feel better about it. That's what's happening here. Don't let UMiss get under your skin so easily blacklisted.

Dude, it's got nothing to do with getting under my skin. I just think you are way wrong about this. I base this on my time as a student at MSU, and my experience with relatives and friends that went to Ole Miss. You're just wrong about this one, IMO. The very fact that they spend so much time and effort on MB's etc to proclaim how much more we care than they do is ironic proof that it's BS.

And this is nothing like, "having a short memory" about something so you can move on mentally. It's just another of their ridiculous tactics to make themselves feel superior. It in no way makes me feel inferior, which seems to be what you are inferring. It just adds to the reasons I despise those morons as much as I do. Their unwarranted arrogance is so over-the-top it's laughable, so I like to throw this kind of crap back in their face to let them know it's not working. I truly enjoy giving them as much grief as possible, including calling them out on their obvious bullshit and lies.

Dawg61
08-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Dude, it's got nothing to do with getting under my skin. I just think you are way wrong about this. I base this on my time as a student at MSU, and my experience with relatives and friends that went to Ole Miss. You're just wrong about this one, IMO. The very fact that they spend so much time and effort on MB's etc to proclaim how much more we care than they do is ironic proof that it's BS.

And this is nothing like, "having a short memory" about something so you can move on mentally. It's just another of their ridiculous tactics to make themselves feel superior. It in no way makes me feel inferior, which seems to be what you are inferring. It just adds to the reasons I despise those morons as much as I do. Their unwarranted arrogance is so over-the-top it's laughable, so I like to throw this kind of crap back in their face to let them know it's not working. I truly enjoy giving them as much grief as possible, including calling them out on their obvious bullshit and lies.

Alright well I try to spend as least amount of time as possible talking to UMiss fans and hanging out in Oxford. I don't enjoy doing either of those two things so I don't.

SDDawg
08-14-2014, 05:36 PM
It just comes with being passionate about your school and your team.

I would have never hit that Rebel fan with a cowbell in the chops in 1995 had he not gotten in my face talking shit after they upset us.

You sure?!? :)

archdog
08-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Hell yeah Chip. I love the way my boy talks to you. Cause he is a winner. If I wanted a sissy I would have named them Dr Quinn and Medicine Woman.

jimbo352
08-14-2014, 06:08 PM
I don't think Ole Miss cares about the Egg Bowl as much as we do... I think we're THE state school. We do own this state as far as fans are concerned, because the majority of our fans are from this state. Ole Miss does have a ton of alumni from Texas and Georgia. A lot of those kids go to OM because they can't get into the their schools. Those kids don't understand the in state rivalry. Ole Miss fans inside the Mississippi care VERY much ab out this rivalry. The problem is, a large portion of their fanbase aren't from this great state.

I don't think it's a put down to care about this rivalry more than TSUN... I think it's a compliment. They're our rival, we're 4-5 because we DO care more than them IMO.

Dawg61
08-14-2014, 06:12 PM
I don't think Ole Miss cares about the Egg Bowl as much as we do... I think we're THE state school. We do own this state as far as fans are concerned, because the majority of our fans are from this state. Ole Miss does have a ton of alumni from Texas and Georgia. A lot of those kids go to OM because they can't get into the their schools. Those kids don't understand the in state rivalry. Ole Miss fans inside the Mississippi care VERY much ab out this rivalry. The problem is, a large portion of their fanbase aren't from this great state.

I don't think it's a put down to care about this rivalry more than TSUN... I think it's a compliment. They're our rival, we're 4-5 because we DO care more than them IMO.

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2376030/3/32/322883e9_the-rock-slow-clap.gif

jimbo352
08-14-2014, 06:50 PM
http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2376030/3/32/322883e9_the-rock-slow-clap.gif

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130505202237/vampirediaries/images/a/ad/Bow.gif

ShotgunDawg
08-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Considering that the SEC Network just miked up Mullen and he barely said anything, I don't think he runs his mouth too much

Dawg61
08-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Considering that the SEC Network just miked up Mullen and he barely said anything, I don't think he runs his mouth too much

"COME ON QUARTERBACKS" reminded me of Belichick

jimbo352
08-14-2014, 07:27 PM

When he arrived here, he definitely spoke his mind more. He was trying to rally the troops, and get the fans excited. Now that he's on top, he doesn't have to talk the talk anymore. He has definitely become more comfortable in his own skin recently as far as media relations are concerned. I see a big difference in his confidence/demeanor these days.

turkish
08-14-2014, 07:30 PM
I like it. He puts some extra, personal skin in the game.

blacklistedbully
08-14-2014, 07:37 PM

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but guys, the reason we are 4 of the past 5 is because our players and coachs were better. I promise you it had nothing to do with one fan-base caring more than the other.

jimbo352
08-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but guys, the reason we are 4 of the past 5 is because our players and coachs were better. I promise you it had nothing to do with one fan-base caring more than the other.

Most of their best players aren't even from Mississippi.

IMissJack
08-14-2014, 08:30 PM
He doesn't talk too much when "Wired Up"on the SEC network...

BulldogBear
08-14-2014, 11:10 PM
anything Dan does to piss off the bears is absolutely cool by me

This^

I'm glad to have some swagger in Starkville about football

blacklistedbully
08-15-2014, 12:50 AM
Most of their best players aren't even from Mississippi.

Are you actually suggesting we beat them because their "non-Mississippi players don't care as much about the game as our Mississippi players"?

I'm trying to be respectful of other's opinions, but it is just ridiculous to even remotely suggest we have been winning lately because either our fans or players or both "care more" than theirs. That's a bunch of bunk, plain and simple.

jimbo352
08-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Are you actually suggesting we beat them because their "non-Mississippi players don't care as much about the game as our Mississippi players"?

I'm trying to be respectful of other's opinions, but it is just ridiculous to even remotely suggest we have been winning lately because either our fans or players or both "care more" than theirs. That's a bunch of bunk, plain and simple.

I said our players and fans care more than theirs. period. I didn't say that was the only reason we've been winning as of late... When I watch the games, I see more passion and energy from our side. Been like that since I was a young boy. This is our state, and I'm not ashamed that we take pride in that.

dawg27
08-15-2014, 10:22 AM
To answer your question: Dan doesn't run his mouth too much. Bear fans are just pissed off because we've owned them for the past 4 years according to SEC standings and 4 out of the last 5 years according to the Egg Bowl. The ultimate goal of every program is to be in Atlanta at the end of the year for the SEC Championship and any coach that says otherwise (besides saying the goal is a NC) is asinine.

I agree i love that we have a coach that wants to fire the team up and wants the fans to get in to it. I love it.

blacklistedbully
08-15-2014, 12:19 PM
I said our players and fans care more than theirs. period. I didn't say that was the only reason we've been winning as of late... When I watch the games, I see more passion and energy from our side. Been like that since I was a young boy. This is our state, and I'm not ashamed that we take pride in that.

Guess we'll have to respectfully disagree. I have never met an OM fan who wasn't extremely passionate about the Egg Bowl, though I've met a ton who've tried to claim they weren't. For me, it's easy to see they are full of it, and just using it as a feeble, childish, unsuccessful attempt to either makes us feel inferior, or them feel superior.

Not sure if you've ever played team sports at a high level, but my experience is that, though emotion and/or "caring" can give an edge to one team once in a while, it's not something that carries over game-after-game-after-game in a series. I guaran-damn-tee you the Ole Miss football team and their coaching staff "care" about our game every bit as much as our coaches and players do. I also guarantee you their fans care as much as ours as well. They just really like to pretend they don't, especially when they lose. It's a built-in excuse for them as well as an attempt to promote themselves as somehow above us.

But there is no way you'll ever convince me that, year-in-year-out, their team cares less about winning that game than ours. These are Division 1, SEC players, no matter what state they are from. And once you commit to a team, you become loyal and care deeply about rivalries, unless there is something abnormal about you. As a player you get immersed in the team, it's traditions, etc. Same thing can happen as a fan, BTW. As a transplanted Mississippian I eventually became a big SF Giants fan. I truly, deeply despise the LA Dodgers as a result. The fact that I'm not from Cali has no impact whatsoever. This is true of pretty much every Giants fan I know that's not from the SF Bay Area.

yjnkdawg
08-15-2014, 02:05 PM
I don't think CM runs his mouth too much as I think it has jump started and put the voltage and electricity back in our football program and really bothers that School Up North. I do think that Shep Smith runs his mouth too much, though.

tcdog70
08-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Is Dan an arrogant Yankee--yes he is. Does he run that Mouth--yes he does. Does he beat Ole Miss 4 out of 5 times--yes he does

GrassOfDWS
08-15-2014, 04:03 PM

Yes, we do care more. Ole Miss cares very much about not losing to us, less so about beating us. If you want to know the difference, it's the same as playing not to lose versus playing to win. When they win, it reinforces their delusion that they are on a higher level than us, and makes them think beating State is what is supposed to happen. When we win, it brings them crashing back to reality that their program that was one time a pretty solid program has fallen and fallen hard.

But next time you think I am an idiot, or believe I'm not an actual MSU fan, why don't you ask me directly about it. You're the first person to express this kind of opinion when I wrote that and said I was way off base. So maybe you're right, that the majority of MSU fans think the way you do, but they certainly aren't expressing it to me.

jimbo352
08-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Yes, we do care more. Ole Miss cares very much about not losing to us, less so about beating us. If you want to know the difference, it's the same as playing not to lose versus playing to win. When they win, it reinforces their delusion that they are on a higher level than us, and makes them think beating State is what is supposed to happen. When we win, it brings them crashing back to reality that their program that was one time a pretty solid program has fallen and fallen hard.

But next time you think I am an idiot, or believe I'm not an actual MSU fan, why don't you ask me directly about it. You're the first person to express this kind of opinion when I wrote that and said I was way off base. So maybe you're right, that the majority of MSU fans think the way you do, but they certainly aren't expressing it to me.

I happen to agree with you...

Dog316
08-15-2014, 04:23 PM
I've heard this forever with the bear faithful. I can understand it too. With the early days of "This is Our State" and such, you knew and understood why the bears didn't like hearing him. Owning their ass to the tune of 4 out of 5 eggbowls didn't help. But I'm hearing it from other folks too. Most notably, on Weiner's show. He basically said more than once last night that Dan needed to tone down the talk, or stop running his mouth, about winning championships until we are actually on our way to Atlanta. Really? Do we really want that? A coach that doesn't talk about the ultimate goal of winning a championship, whether SEC or the Big Prize?

On the flip side, I did enjoy him calling out the bear fans that claim that MSU wins more eggbowls lately because "we care about it more" or "it's the only game on their schedule they care about" or "the game is way more important to them than it is to us". He basically called all that talk b.s. and a loser mentality. Told the bears to shut up and show up and win a game every now and then. Thought that was funny.

Who cares what the bear faithful think! I like confidence. I like positive people. I like our coach.

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Guess we'll have to respectfully disagree. I have never met an OM fan who wasn't extremely passionate about the Egg Bowl, though I've met a ton who've tried to claim they weren't. For me, it's easy to see they are full of it, and just using it as a feeble, childish, unsuccessful attempt to either makes us feel inferior, or them feel superior.

I found the disconnect here.

YES, I agree that Ole Miss FANS care just as much about the Egg Bowl and MSU FANS.

HOWEVER, due to the fact that most of their best players are not from Mississippi, the Ole Miss PLAYERS don't care as much about the Egg Bowl as the MSU PLAYERS.

This must be very frustrating to Ole Miss fans, and, since they likely understand the reality of the situation, they combat it by say, "LSU is our real rival." It's the only way they can sleep at night.

Frankly, I could care less how much Ole Miss hates us. If us hating them more than they hate us helps us get one extra win in most years, then I'm all for it.

All I care about is winning. The perception, excuses, and all those other peripheral things, simply don't matter to me.

Dawg61
08-15-2014, 04:30 PM
As a transplanted Mississippian I eventually became a big SF Giants fan. I truly, deeply despise the LA Dodgers as a result. The fact that I'm not from Cali has no impact whatsoever. This is true of pretty much every Giants fan I know that's not from the SF Bay Area.

Blacklisted this is the best four sentences in a row that you have ever typed. Go Giants!!

Dawgcentral
08-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Of course they care. It chaps their asses when we beat them. They want the win as badly as we do. We're damn hard for them to live with. They cringe when they see us wearing MSU gear. They avoid eye contact. Our appearance changes their mood.

We see this daily. Don't tell me they don't care as much.

blacklistedbully
08-15-2014, 09:54 PM

I had no idea who you are. Why do you think I owe you a direct communication? You post something on a blog-site, then you need to man up and expect that others may well criticize it on their MB of choice. I rarely ever post on sites where there isn't an opportunity for easy and open debate, so if you're suggesting I was somehow remiss in not posting my disagreement there, you're as wrong about that as you are about OM not caring as much as we do.

If you're going to "represent" our university, I suggest you try to not make blanket statements like that on behalf of the whole fan-base when there's at least as good a chance, if not better, that you're wrong. Way, way, way too presumptuous of you, and it plays right into what that deluded fan-base thinks themselves. It's perfectly fine for you to have that opinion. It's not perfectly fine for you to presume your opinion is representative of our university's fans.

If you're going to publish an article like that, shouldn't you at least do your homework, or be damn certain you're not misrepresenting our fanbase as a whole? Seems a little arrogant to me for you to presume your opinion is the prevailing one for our fans, particularly on a subject such as that.

GrassOfDWS
08-16-2014, 07:21 AM
I had no idea who you are. Why do you think I owe you a direct communication? You post something on a blog-site, then you need to man up and expect that others may well criticize it on their MB of choice. I rarely ever post on sites where there isn't an opportunity for easy and open debate, so if you're suggesting I was somehow remiss in not posting my disagreement there, you're as wrong about that as you are about OM not caring as much as we do.

If you're going to "represent" our university, I suggest you try to not make blanket statements like that on behalf of the whole fan-base when there's at least as good a chance, if not better, that you're wrong. Way, way, way too presumptuous of you, and it plays right into what that deluded fan-base thinks themselves. It's perfectly fine for you to have that opinion. It's not perfectly fine for you to presume your opinion is representative of our university's fans.

If you're going to publish an article like that, shouldn't you at least do your homework, or be damn certain you're not misrepresenting our fanbase as a whole? Seems a little arrogant to me for you to presume your opinion is the prevailing one for our fans, particularly on a subject such as that.

In terms of doing my homework, the Mississippi State fans I talk to, and every single one of them, believe we are more passionate about the rivalry. So I did my homework, and I will continue to stand by that. I don't care where you post your opinion, but if you are going to call me an idiot and question the devotion to the school that I love so much, then do it through Twitter. You disagreed with my opinion, that's fine. If you are going to question the devotion to my school, then I want to know exactly why.

Now then, I spend lots of time around Ole Miss fans because I live in the epicenter of Ole Miss fans in Northwest Mississippi. If you want to know why I am 100% confident we care about the Egg Bowl more than they do: they don't care that much about football. Yeah, they have some that are intensely into it, but most Ole Miss fans care more about the social aspects of Ole Miss football than they do the football itself. They want to go to the Grove to be seen and show off their newest dress or seersucker pants. They want to show that they can pull off lobster at a tailgate. This is what is important to Ole Miss fans. I live and work with them all the time. If we don't care more about the Egg Bowl than they do, then we should be disappointed in ourselves.

blacklistedbully
08-16-2014, 12:51 PM
In terms of doing my homework, the Mississippi State fans I talk to, and every single one of them, believe we are more passionate about the rivalry. So I did my homework, and I will continue to stand by that. I don't care where you post your opinion, but if you are going to call me an idiot and question the devotion to the school that I love so much, then do it through Twitter. You disagreed with my opinion, that's fine. If you are going to question the devotion to my school, then I want to know exactly why.

Now then, I spend lots of time around Ole Miss fans because I live in the epicenter of Ole Miss fans in Northwest Mississippi. If you want to know why I am 100% confident we care about the Egg Bowl more than they do: they don't care that much about football. Yeah, they have some that are intensely into it, but most Ole Miss fans care more about the social aspects of Ole Miss football than they do the football itself. They want to go to the Grove to be seen and show off their newest dress or seersucker pants. They want to show that they can pull off lobster at a tailgate. This is what is important to Ole Miss fans. I live and work with them all the time. If we don't care more about the Egg Bowl than they do, then we should be disappointed in ourselves.

First, I'll apologize for calling you an "idiot". Name-calling wasn't necessary to get my point across.

That said, I still think your POV is way off, and perhaps skewed, given your immersion in Ole Miss fandom. I suspect you might not consider enough how much "pretending to not care" is a part of their psyche, whether they consciously admit it or not. Those folks live in a bubble of delusion that is unlike anything I have seen anywhere, so it doesn't surprise me to hear you could be in their midst on a regular basis and come away sharing some of their beliefs, a la Stockholm Syndrome.

That place changes people, and often not in a good way. I've seen former friends who were regular, nice folks from modest middle-income families come back from that school sporting airs and arrogance that would blow your mind. They come back home acting as if they are directly descended from the old plantation elite, despite the fact the come from, and continue to be in the same socioeconomic class they were in before. The only thing that has actually changed apart from their continued academic education is that they are now arrogant, self-important, obnoxious assholes who look down upon any other Mississippian who did not, or does not attend Ole Miss.

Lastly, again I will say, if you are going to put yourself out there in the public forum, particularly if you are going to promote your personal opinion as representative of our university, you have no reasonable expectation of any form of communication from those who read your posts. You have chosen to make yourself a public figure. As such, you need to accept the fact that you are a legit target for ridicule (as well as praise), etc, and that there are no, "rules of engagement" in how readers choose to respond to your public posts.

As you can see, I have no problem responding to you directly here. But this is a different forum, and one that invites easy, open debate/discussion. On this forum, your opinion is yours, and not one portending to represent our fans as a whole. To be sure, we here can all be roundly ridiculed for our opinions, but it's not like any of us are doing it as a "sportswriter" on a published media site that's supposed to represent our school. While your opinions can't help but influence your writing, I'd suggest you stepped over-the-line in the article in question when you offered your opinion as indicative of our overall fanbase, and on a topic that is clearly hotly debated and contested. It's kind of like the "global-warming" faction declaring years ago that their opinion was, "settled science", when it was and still is far from "settled".

FISHDAWG
08-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Of course they care. It chaps their asses when we beat them. They want the win as badly as we do. We're damn hard for them to live with. They cringe when they see us wearing MSU gear. They avoid eye contact. Our appearance changes their mood.

We see this daily. Don't tell me they don't care as much.

I have to agree with this ... they def care whether they admit it or not. Just look back to the forward Rebels thing and the past firing of their coaches ... the call for the resignation of their AD ... evidence is everywhere

GrassOfDWS
08-16-2014, 05:21 PM
First, I'll apologize for calling you an "idiot". Name-calling wasn't necessary to get my point across.

That said, I still think your POV is way off, and perhaps skewed, given your immersion in Ole Miss fandom. I suspect you might not consider enough how much "pretending to not care" is a part of their psyche, whether they consciously admit it or not. Those folks live in a bubble of delusion that is unlike anything I have seen anywhere, so it doesn't surprise me to hear you could be in their midst on a regular basis and come away sharing some of their beliefs, a la Stockholm Syndrome.

That place changes people, and often not in a good way. I've seen former friends who were regular, nice folks from modest middle-income families come back from that school sporting airs and arrogance that would blow your mind. They come back home acting as if they are directly descended from the old plantation elite, despite the fact the come from, and continue to be in the same socioeconomic class they were in before. The only thing that has actually changed apart from their continued academic education is that they are now arrogant, self-important, obnoxious assholes who look down upon any other Mississippian who did not, or does not attend Ole Miss.

Lastly, again I will say, if you are going to put yourself out there in the public forum, particularly if you are going to promote your personal opinion as representative of our university, you have no reasonable expectation of any form of communication from those who read your posts. You have chosen to make yourself a public figure. As such, you need to accept the fact that you are a legit target for ridicule (as well as praise), etc, and that there are no, "rules of engagement" in how readers choose to respond to your public posts.

As you can see, I have no problem responding to you directly here. But this is a different forum, and one that invites easy, open debate/discussion. On this forum, your opinion is yours, and not one portending to represent our fans as a whole. To be sure, we here can all be roundly ridiculed for our opinions, but it's not like any of us are doing it as a "sportswriter" on a published media site that's supposed to represent our school. While your opinions can't help but influence your writing, I'd suggest you stepped over-the-line in the article in question when you offered your opinion as indicative of our overall fanbase, and on a topic that is clearly hotly debated and contested. It's kind of like the "global-warming" faction declaring years ago that their opinion was, "settled science", when it was and still is far from "settled".

First, thank you for apologizing for calling me an idiot. One thing I have not been a fan of since the Internet, social media, and message boards became such a part of college football is how we start calling people names when we don't agree with them. It's a personal mission of mine to try to tamp that down, though I know it is a lost cause.

The reason I would like that tamped down is because I think it gets in the way of rational debate, which you and I can now have and where I believe this conversation is. I love rational debate. I also don't mind if people disagree with me, and I expect people will and know they do. As long as I think people will keep it civil, I try to engage them when they do. I just don't want to get into a series of people calling names and personal attacks.

Now on to your point. It is possible that I could take on their point of view because I am immersed in it. I am married to an Ole Miss Grad, so I might could concede that. However, she hates sports of all kinds and football is at the top of her list on hatred. To say she doesn't care is an understatement. She is not my basis for fan interest though. But I would also say do you think it is possible that since I am in the thick of the enemy home base that I could just know their mentality really well? It's impossible to know unless I move and keep the same opinion or formulate a new one.

I actually love when people give me feedback, positive or negative. I have had entry of both. I ignore people who just say you're an idiot or a moron. Since you did express an opinion as well, I wanted to actually have a civil conversation with to see how much I considered and valued your opinion. Of people are civil when they disagree with me, I always try to use that to make myself a better writer. I will do the same with your feedback from here on.

grinnindawg
08-16-2014, 05:57 PM
I completely disagree with you that State fans care more about beating OM.

Many Ole Miss folks have a raging superiority complex.
This complex is based on insecurity mixed with the belief that they truly are better than everyone else.
Whenever State wins, the insecurity eats away at the one of foundations of their lives.

Percentage wise, more of the State fans I know go about their daily lives unaffected when we don't win.
The overwhelming majority of us grew up when we were rarely successful on the field.
We tend to base our self worth on things other than football.
I don't mean we aren't passionate about it, just that it doesn't bother us as much.

I've seen this theory proven at Egg Bowls over and over.
So much so, I don't go to them any more.
Too many OM fans just cannot handle themselves in a civilized manner when they lose to us.

Dawg61
08-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Blacklisted didn't you just say you live in California in this very thread and you're telling the guy that lives in Northwest Mississippi that he's wrong about his viewpoint of the Ole Miss fans he has to deal with every single day of his life. You probably go 6 months without meeting an Ole Miss fan in California. You basing your opinion on the Rant or whatever message board you love going to to argue with UMiss fans? Ridiculous

Dawg61
08-16-2014, 06:24 PM

http://www.somegif.com/gifs/13924742111596534766.GIF

blacklistedbully
08-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Blacklisted didn't you just say you live in California in this very thread and you're telling the guy that lives in Northwest Mississippi that he's wrong about his viewpoint of the Ole Miss fans he has to deal with every single day of his life. You probably go 6 months without meeting an Ole Miss fan in California. You basing your opinion on the Rant or whatever message board you love going to to argue with UMiss fans? Ridiculous

Wow, you are trying WAY too hard to pick a fight with me. Does it REALLY not occur to you that I may have grown up largely in Mississippi, have spent DECADES there, including my years as a student, and continue to have friends and family from the area?

That is a wholly different situation from a guy who appears to have spent many of his formative years, at least in how it relates to this topic, surrounded by OM fans, and has even said he is married to an OM alum. Perhaps you don't agree, but my experience, including many years living on the Gulf Coast and dealing with friends and relatives still there, Ole Miss fans, in general, tend to be the most delusional, self-aggrandizing people on the planet. Conversely, your typical MSU fan, IMO, is relatively grounded, down-to-earth, and if anything more inclined to self-deprecation when it comes to football.

Consequently, I believe it's far more likely a guy like Jason can get unduly influenced by the constant exposure to fantasy-land BS he must endure on a daily basis up there. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion, and I think it's proven out by how readily Ole Miss students can become utterly convinced of their "vast superiority" all factual evidence to the contrary. Those tools could lose to us 15 years in a row, and still convince themselves they are a better program than us at any time. It's as if they're brain-washed.

Dawg61
08-16-2014, 09:41 PM
It's not my intentions to pick a fight with you. I'll just calmly remove myself from this discussion.

http://i.imgur.com/MD4nQAs.gif

OurState
08-17-2014, 10:34 AM
This^

I'm glad to have some swagger in Starkville about football

I agree in general.

However there certainly are times where I wished Mullen hadn't started with the TSUN crap. I think if he had shut up instead of calling them TSUN those morons would have given Nutt an extra year and that would have effectively been the death penalty.

TheRef
08-17-2014, 10:39 AM
I agree in general.

However there certainly are times where I wished Mullen hadn't started with the TSUN crap. I think if he had shut up instead of calling them TSUN those morons would have given Nutt an extra year and that would have effectively been the death penalty.

I'm glad Mullen started TSUN because it gets under their skin like no other. I get where you're coming from with having Nutt an extra year, but I have to respectfully disagree. Shutting up is basically conceding in their eyes. Mullen brought a fire back to the rivalry that Croom left out. You want to know why Ole Miss hates Mullen? Because he's right.

4 out of 5 baby. Keep the trend going, Dan!