PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you think will be the difference in play calling?

gravedigger
08-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Obviously the RTGDFB campaign is high on many people's list, but how will the play calling be different If you are of the opinion it will be different?

If you think it won't be, d ont attempt to answer.

My take is that we will see some much more conservative play calling on 2nd and 3rd down because Mullen will go for it on 4th much more often. Why? Stout defense and the cockiness that will allow him.

I think dak will be given free reign to 'create' on 3rd and long too.

As for defense, I don't think you will see the blitz that most would like. Why? Teams will have difficulty sustaining long drives on us due to defensive depth. Ole miss suffered from this against us. There is simply little need to play a gambling defense when you are so strong and deep.

As for special teams I'd just as well assume they don't exist.

starkvegasdawg
08-13-2014, 06:52 PM
If you're advocating a bend but don't break defense I hope you're wrong. If they start a drive at the 20 and make three first downs before the drive stalls then they are at midfield at worse. They punt and we're backed up around the 10. I don't care who you have on offense, it's hard to drive 90 yards consistently. I dare say drives that have to go 85+ yards result in a TD less than 10% of the time. We need to be going for three and outs. Gives us better field position and wears down their defense to have to come right back on the field.

BeardoMSU
08-13-2014, 06:58 PM
If you're advocating a bend but don't break defense I hope you're wrong.

Agreed. I'm tired of that. I want some lock-down D.

Dawgcentral
08-13-2014, 06:59 PM
We'll show more versatility in the running game by having multiple RBs in the backfield. When against inferior opponents we'll run the ball 70% of the time. Against better competition we'll run 50% of the time unless facing a tremendous deficit.

Like Cadaver, I'm wanting to see that diamond formation, but I don't want to see it so often that teams prepare exclusively for that formation. Still thinking Nick gets more carries than folks suspect he will.

GreenheadDawg
08-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Agreed. I'm tired of that. I want some lock-down D.

Exactly. We would have kept Wilson if we wanted that shit defensive scheme

gravedigger
08-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Bend but don't break has to do with the way you play the defensive backfield. And no. I've never advocated it. I'm saying you will see less blitz than we are capable of sustaining due to the risk and the fact that we simply have better personnel than our opponents offenses. This defense will dare a team to cross the middle. It will dare a team to run wide. It will dare you to throw the bubble screen. It's weakness may be the long ball but it is going to take an all world ol to make it happen vs us.

No I expect a great deal of man to man in the secondary. But I don't see us "selling out" to get to the qb.

blacklistedbully
08-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Bend but don't break has to do with the way you play the defensive backfield. And no. I've never advocated it. I'm saying you will see less blitz than we are capable of sustaining due to the risk and the fact that we simply have better personnel than our opponents offenses. This defense will dare a team to cross the middle. It will dare a team to run wide. It will dare you to throw the bubble screen. It's weakness may be the long ball but it is going to take an all world ol to make it happen vs us.

No I expect a great deal of man to man in the secondary. But I don't see us "selling out" to get to the qb.

A lot of this will depend on how much push/pressure we can get from the front 4. If they're getting it done, we won't need to blitz as much. If they're not getting good pressure, we'll likely have to blitz more.

MarketingBully01
08-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Obviously the RTGDFB campaign is high on many people's list, but how will the play calling be different If you are of the opinion it will be different?

My take is that we will see some much more conservative play calling on 2nd and 3rd down because Mullen will go for it on 4th much more often. Why? Stout defense and the cockiness that will allow him.

I think dak will be given free reign to 'create' on 3rd and long too.

As for defense, I don't think you will see the blitz that most would like. Why? Teams will have difficulty sustaining long drives on us due to defensive depth. Ole miss suffered from this against us. There is simply little need to play a gambling defense when you are so strong and deep.

As for special teams I'd just as well assume they don't exist.

I think he will call it similar to how he called the 2008 Florida Offense. We have very similar personnell for him to be creative and I think he will use Dak like he used Tebow that year. I think this year will definitely set some MSU offensive records. Of course that isn't saying much but nonetheless records will fall on offense.

Dawgfan77
08-14-2014, 05:26 AM
I think he will call it similar to how he called the 2008 Florida Offense. We have very similar personnell for him to be creative and I think he will use Dak like he used Tebow that year. I think this year will definitely set some MSU offensive records. Of course that isn't saying much but nonetheless records will fall on offense.
I was watching a UF game on espn classic this week from either 07 or 08 and was amazed how similar our personnel looks compared to that team. We may not be as talented but size wise it was uncanny

Leroy Jenkins
08-14-2014, 06:30 AM
I was watching a UF game on espn classic this week from either 07 or 08 and was amazed how similar our personnel looks compared to that team. We may not be as talented but size wise it was uncanny

With Harvin, Demps, and Rainey carring the ball, and Tebow being the short-yardage back, that was one of the top 3 backfields of all time.

Goat Holder
08-14-2014, 08:27 AM

Do you want the truth, or do you want the truth with qualifiers?

I don't think it'll be much different at all. We'll be able to make more plays, because we've got better players. If Prescott/Robinson/Wilson take the steps forward that we all expect, then suddenly I'm guessing no one will be bitching about play calling, because the plays called will actually work.

Coach34
08-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Same guy is calling the that called them last year

#RTGDF

Coach34
08-14-2014, 08:40 AM
My only problem with Mullen is that he tries to get too cute at times. Like the 4th down call in the Egg Bowl- you had Prescott telling the media after the game that Mullen wanted to throw a pass- but Prescott talked him into pounding it in

Stop trying to be cute and #RTGDF

Goat Holder
08-14-2014, 09:13 AM
My only problem with Mullen is that he tries to get too cute at times. Like the 4th down call in the Egg Bowl- you had Prescott telling the media after the game that Mullen wanted to throw a pass- but Prescott talked him into pounding it in

Stop trying to be cute and #RTGDF

Recruit/develop/train/etc. a placekicker to hit 30 yard field goals and none of that matters.

Mullen's BIGGEST problem is that he doesn't understand that football exists outside his offense. He forces himself to take chances because of weaknesses everywhere else. Offense hasn't been a problem since Mullen got here. Our list of biggest problems are below:

2009: Torbush, Toast and Damein Anderson. We blame Tyson Lee for LSU but the DBs getting torched all day is what lost that game. Houston and Georgia Tech too. That's 3 damn games we probably would have won had Torbush played Banks and Broomfield all year.
2010: No real weakness, but I guess you could say Camgate
2011: Chris Wilson and injuries
2012: Chris Wilson again
2013: Injuries and Special Teams

Still don't see why people bitch about the offense. I guess because it's the most visible.

rbdog82
08-14-2014, 10:17 AM
If you're advocating a bend but don't break defense I hope you're wrong. If they start a drive at the 20 and make three first downs before the drive stalls then they are at midfield at worse. They punt and we're backed up around the 10. I don't care who you have on offense, it's hard to drive 90 yards consistently. I dare say drives that have to go 85+ yards result in a TD less than 10% of the time. We need to be going for three and outs. Gives us better field position and wears down their defense to have to come right back on the field.

This, especially considering that our field goals from inside the 30yd line #wallace 60+% of the time. Our offense (and kicker) needs every yard they can get. Starting every drive from our own 1-25yd line would lead to significantly fewer points.