PDA

View Full Version : Shump at FB?

TheRef
08-13-2014, 12:35 PM
According to Brandon Walker, Shumpert said that he is going to be used as a Fullback more than previously.

Goat Holder
08-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Good. Either there, or LB or S, will be better positions for him than tailback.

FISHDAWG
08-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Good. Either there, or LB or S, will be better positions for him than tailback.

not sure how you can say that when he really hasn't had much of an opportunity @ tailback yet

Goat Holder
08-13-2014, 01:09 PM
not sure how you can say that when he really hasn't had much of an opportunity @ tailback yet

My opinion. I've watched him play in games, and at some practices, just as many others have. I don't see the game-breaking talent that others do. The fact that he's moving bears that out.

headcoach98
08-13-2014, 01:10 PM
I like him at either FB or RB(short yardage/goal line).

mstatefan91
08-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Give him the ball at the goal line. Touchdown everytime

EAVdog
08-13-2014, 01:24 PM
FB in our offense isn't exactly like the traditional FB. More like a 2 back set. It was awesome back in the day when they would split out to a Wishbone formation near the goal line. Mullen's first year or two.

missouridawg
08-13-2014, 01:24 PM

That's not how it works...

But having him as a threat to carry the ball out of the FB position opens our options for ball carriers in that situation. Which is good for MSU.

Goat Holder
08-13-2014, 01:25 PM

As compared to Robinson or Griffin? No thanks.

If we have an injury, or Williams isn't as good as advertised, leave him at tailback. If not, put him somewhere where he can be utilized best. He's a hitter, not a runner. Is he a perfect fullback? Not so sure there either. But worth a shot.

mstatefan91
08-13-2014, 01:28 PM
I was talking about as a fullback. Good lord

As in give him the ball as a fullback at the 1 yard line and let him hit some people to get it in. He welcomes contact and usually ends up in the positive in those situations. I was obviously exaggerating a little bit when I said everytime

codeDawg
08-13-2014, 01:35 PM
According to Brandon Walker, Shumpert said that he is going to be used as a Fullback more than previously.

That is probably a very good position for someone who likes to run into people. Win / win.

Dawg61
08-13-2014, 01:45 PM
I can see this being utilized in the diamond formation. I agree that Shump is a hitter more than a runner. Now I don't think he should be given up on as a true RB though he just needs to work on the art of absorbing contact and moving forward as opposed to always seeking it out as his first instinct.

HoopsDawg
08-13-2014, 01:45 PM

It's a no-brainer move if Shumpert is willing to accept this role. He sprung Dak on a long TD run agains BG last year, and he did the same in another game for J-Rob. We have 3 good backs in Jrob, Griffin, and Aeris so this really helps the rotation and I don't feel like Shumpert has the burst needed at TB.

Johnson85
08-13-2014, 02:02 PM
I like it. Assuming everybody stays healthy, we have a lot of good options at TB. If shump has the size and blocking ability to play FB, that just gives us another offensive weapon the D has to account for. On any given play, we could have have Dak, Robinson (or another TB), Shump, and Lewis as viable options to run the ball. That's a lot of threats to be prepared for.

msstate7
08-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Does shump have good hands? I love throwing the ball to a good fb

BulldogBear
08-13-2014, 02:51 PM

This^ Absolutely

preachermatt83
08-13-2014, 03:20 PM
It's a no-brainer move if Shumpert is willing to accept this role. He sprung Dak on a long TD run agains BG last year, and he did the same in another game for J-Rob. We have 3 good backs in Jrob, Griffin, and Aeris so this really helps the rotation and I don't feel like Shumpert has the burst needed at TB.

agreed... I think people underestimate how good Nick Griffin is. He is an NFL caliber back. And im hearing that Dontavian Lee is freaking tearing it up in practice.

War Machine Dawg
08-13-2014, 03:31 PM
agreed... I think people underestimate how good Nick Griffin is. He is an NFL caliber back. And im hearing that Dontavian Lee is freaking tearing it up in practice.

Before his second ACL tear, I'd have completely agreed. But after seeing him last fall and then again this spring, he's not the same back anymore. Still good, but not great. It really sucks, because I think he was on the verge of becoming one of the breakout players in the SEC before blowing up his knee. He's still plenty physical, but that explosion through the hole and short area burst that made him so good is mostly gone. But it would be nice if a miracle has happened and he's somehow regained his pre-injury form. He was our probably our most complete back before he went down in that LSU game.

Pokerdawg44
08-13-2014, 03:54 PM

I miss having a Justin Griffith. Could block run and catch and take it to the house while had no problem clearing the way for Dicenzo.

Covercorner2
08-13-2014, 03:58 PM
I wonder if this is the type of role the coaches envision Rashun Dixon playing? He seems to have the size you would like for that role and I would assume he has the athleticism

Saltydog
08-13-2014, 04:33 PM
another 10 pounds on him and he's an OLB.......He will knock your head off...........

mic
08-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Our fb is used more like an RB/ TE and yes the diamond formation with the those 3 back there plus Dak is a four headed monster...
But I still think the coaches after this year , if Aries is as good as advertised they may try And move Shump to Defense. It might be his best chance to make it to NFL.. That's what UGA was recruiting him to be.
Not saying he can't or won't blow up at RB but with the incoming class it is about to get crowded back there with LOTS of talent...which is a great thing..

Reason2succeed
08-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Our fb is used more like an RB/ TE and yes the diamond formation with the those 3 back there plus Dak is a four headed monster...
But I still think the coaches after this year , if Aries is as good as advertised they may try And move Shump to Defense. It might be his best chance to make it to NFL.. That's what UGA was recruiting him to be.
Not saying he can't or won't blow up at RB but with the incoming class it is about to get crowded back there with LOTS of talent...which is a great thing..

We're also going to have a lot of LBs so why not have one true FB on the roster. There may be an NFL team that still needs a true FB. Heck, someone was noting how Malzahn commented that Jay Prosch will be missed at FB. Someone else claimed that the running game at State was better back when Dixon was running behind Hanrahan. Let's try it.

gravedigger
08-13-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't see him playing the typical blocking fb role. I see him platooning w bowling ball and running similar plays. Sure he has a fb style about him, but this isn't the wishbone and our plays don't call for many running back lead blocks. They put people in space. He'll grind for us at times, but he'll be a traditional rb mostly. Just my opinion

cheewgumm
08-13-2014, 06:35 PM
I haven't seen enough to know how effective he would
Be carrying the ball.

defiantdog
08-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Shump playing FB opens a lot of plays for us. Maybe Mullen is opening up is own playbook and creating new plays. I remember a few formations where FB's were really effective against us. Remember these....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jIeiJ8dgJlM/TRI96UxzchI/AAAAAAAAABU/K_RoyeB60XE/s640/Auburn+vs+MSU+Play+2.1.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3157403/ok-st-miss-st-3.gif

We could be extremely effective with a triple option with Dak, Shump and JRob in the backfield.