PDA

View Full Version : How do we build this for $40 million? It looks more like $60-$80.

Bark
08-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Thought this deserved its own thread. $40 million seems low for this magnitude of a project but I could be totally wrong. I just wanted some opinions.

Goat Holder
08-13-2014, 09:19 AM
It's the AE firm's job to come up with the figures, I'm guessing they did their homework. And it isn't like we're building a new field. I would assume that the open air concourse type stadium would be cheaper to build that a concrete monster, simply because of the concrete. Less mass, in other words.

Dawg496
08-13-2014, 09:20 AM
I imagine $40 million is for everything but the outfield (i.e. grandstand) while the rest will be financed by the leases on the lofts. It's not unreasonable to think that a loft lease could be $30,000 per year (only $2,500 a month when you break it down) and if there's 30 of them, that's $900,000 a year. How much more could the outfield cost? $10 millon? We'd pay it off in short order just off the loft leases. Not to mention extra SEC Network money will help us pay it off in just a year or two.

Then the $40 million number is half capital gifts and the other half revenue based (skyboxes, club levels, etc). I don't see any scenario where we aren't able to finance this fairly easily. We love baseball and these plans have everyone fired up. When they make a big deal of this at football games, we might reach our $20 million goal by Christmas. Remember that we raised $106 million last year, which was the most in our history by about $20 million. We will sure as hell raise $20 million by the end of next baseball season for a project as unique and improtant as this.

Dawg61
08-13-2014, 09:21 AM
It's the AE firm's job to come up with the figures, I'm guessing they did their homework. And it isn't like we're building a new field. I would assume that the open air concourse type stadium would be cheaper to build that a concrete monster, simply because of the concrete. Less mass, in other words.

3 excellent points. Nice post

ShotgunDawg
08-13-2014, 09:26 AM
$40 million does seem a little low, but not as much as you think.

The new Alex Box cost $33 million and they actually changed sites, clear undeveloped land, and built a new field.

We don't have to do any of that. We already have a field in place. However, we do have to break out a wrecking ball, which LSU didn't have to do.

My guess is that this ends up costing close to $50 mil before it's over.

messageboardsuperhero
08-13-2014, 09:33 AM

Good Post. A few of these things are lost on some people when it comes to cost:

1) The field is already in place. LSU, Carolina, etc. all had to pay millions to build their field and drainage systems- that's money we don't have to worry about.

2) I've seen people say that it looks like more construction than the football expansion, so how could it be that much cheaper? It's because there's really not all that much material being used. As you said, this isn't going to be a concrete monster- and that makes open air comparatively cheaper. It's just an all-around significantly better design than what we have right now.

It may end up being a little more than $40 million, but I'm sure the architecture team has a better idea on this than we do.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Did I miss pictures of the exterior of the grandstands? I was thinking how the stadium is covered up by the hump and palmierro center, the architects could have decided to put less focus on those areas to save $.

engie
08-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Alex Box was being built right in the middle of Katrina too. Those construction prices went through the roof on them for what they were actually getting, so it was built with bigtime inflation...Carolina Stadium was built off campus in the middle of the city on a premium track of land...Nobody has undergone a project all that similar to ours. Bama's may end up being.

The fact that we've got the field(and drainage), got the parking, etc probably knocks $5-10mil of the cost the other schools had to absorb...

bulldogcountry1
08-13-2014, 09:55 AM
I think the biggest things are:

1. Playing surface is already updated.
2. Structure is primarily steel. It's much less than concrete and there's much less labor involved.
3. We don't have to do much with a facade, with the Hump down 1st base and the PC down third base. It won't be as impressive driving in from 12, but more of the spending can be used on other features.

rabbitthedawg
08-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Also something to consider on the Left Field Lofts, they will not have any property tax to deal with. That is huge in Oktibbeha County!

rbdog82
08-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Numbers I'm hearing on the lofts are closer to $50-60k annually (including lease and maintenance fee).

Pollodawg
08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
The money will come. Unlike some ADs in this state, Scott isn't a moron that releases a rendering that we have zero hope of ever paying for or attaining. In fact, he's been the epitome of careful since he's been in charge here. And he is vying to be the best AD we've ever had.

rbdog82
08-13-2014, 10:17 AM
The money will come. Unlike some ADs in this state, Scott isn't a moron that releases rendering that we have zero hope of ever paying for or attaining. In fact, he's been the epitome of careful since he's been in charge here. And he is vying to be the best AD we've ever had.

^^^^ This

Dawg496
08-13-2014, 10:19 AM
I hereby move to change Strickland's nickname to "Jedi Master" and introduce him with the Star Wars Imperial March theme on all radio shows and tv interviews. Also since LT has a building named after him on campus, Stricklin should have a propane store at least.

Bark
08-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Just to play devil's advocate here. How do we construct the grandstand without messing up the playing field and drainage system by compaction from heavy equipment? Just access everything from the backside I guess?

starkvegasdawg
08-13-2014, 10:34 AM
I wonder if they'll try to sale anything from the old stadium mementos. Items such as seats, sections of the wall, etc. That might be a way to raise at least some of the money.

32 Dive
08-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Just access everything from the backside I guess?

"Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

EAVdog
08-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Just to play devil's advocate here. How do we construct the grandstand without messing up the playing field and drainage system by compaction from heavy equipment? Just access everything from the backside I guess?

Temporary shoring if required. Keep equipment off the field.

EAVdog
08-13-2014, 11:32 AM
No land acquisition costs, very little conditioned space, very little site work. Very doable.

Trustmark Park would be 33.4 Mil today, per wikipedia.

Only thing I'm curious about is if the Lofts are in that 40 Mil.

Ralph
08-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Temporary shoring if required. Keep equipment off the field.

I was thinking how challenging that would be with the hump so close too, but I suppose similar challenges were had at Davis wade also with limited space and a field to preserve. Still will be tight.

messageboardsuperhero
08-13-2014, 12:06 PM
I've seen a lot of people saying that, since this is similar to Autozone Park and that was build for $80 million, there's no way ours won't cost way more than $40 million.

People seem to keep forgetting that Autozone is located in the middle of downtown Memphis. That property had to be bought, a building/lot had to be demolished and cleared (in the middle of downtown Memphis), the field and drainage system had to be built, etc.

These are all things we don't have to worry about. We already own the land, the original DNF will come down pretty easy (especially compared to a building in the middle of a downtown metro area), and the field is already in place.

berr6728
08-13-2014, 03:46 PM
where do we have the parking?

Mjoelner34
08-13-2014, 03:50 PM
I've seen a lot of people saying that, since this is similar to Autozone Park and that was build for $80 million, there's no way ours won't cost way more than $40 million.

People seem to keep forgetting that Autozone is located in the middle of downtown Memphis. That property had to be bought, a building/lot had to be demolished and cleared (in the middle of downtown Memphis), the field and drainage system had to be built, etc.

These are all things we don't have to worry about. We already own the land, the original DNF will come down pretty easy (especially compared to a building in the middle of a downtown metro area), and the field is already in place.

Plus, Autozone park may have had to be designed with some sort of earthquake code in mind. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Memphis started doing that because of the New Madrid fault? I'm sure having to do something like that would increase your budget a fair amount too.

engie
08-13-2014, 04:15 PM
where do we have the parking?

Where it currently exists. We aren't increasing capacity.

ShotgunDawg
08-13-2014, 04:20 PM

There's no telling what the land cost was to build Autozone in addition to having to tear down and cleanup what was already there. Autozone probably had 20 mil invested before they ever laid the foundation.

engie
08-13-2014, 04:29 PM
There's no telling what the land cost was to build Autozone in addition to having to tear down and cleanup what was already there. Autozone probably had 20 mil invested before they ever laid the foundation.

I'd bet more than that. Plus they had to construct/work out leases on parking garages...

AutoZone itself is a $50mil facility IMO...

sandwolf
08-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Plus, Autozone park may have had to be designed with some sort of earthquake code in mind. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Memphis started doing that because of the New Madrid fault? I'm sure having to do something like that would increase your budget a fair amount too.

Everyone has to design for seismic loads....they are just a lot more likely to control the design in Memphis. But regardless, that wouldn't have a huge effect on the cost of the facility.

ETA: I don't know if they have instituted a separate seismic code to be used along side the IBC, but even if they have, it wouldn't impact the construction costs to the extent being discussed here.

Todd4State
08-13-2014, 04:44 PM
I wonder if they'll try to sale anything from the old stadium mementos. Items such as seats, sections of the wall, etc. That might be a way to raise at least some of the money.

I like this idea. Maybe five the lifetime season ticket people their seat if they want it, otherwise sell them to the general public.

I also mentioned selling bricks engraved with people's names on them as well.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-13-2014, 04:52 PM
I like this idea. Maybe five the lifetime season ticket people their seat if they want it, otherwise sell them to the general public.

I also mentioned selling bricks engraved with people's names on them as well.

Wouldnt that be awesome to do that in the grand entrance, you could even have tiered bricks, more you give, closer to the center you get

junctiondawg
08-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Bottom line is that if we are able to build anything remotely close to that picture then we have topped every stadium in the country. Job well done boys.