PDA

View Full Version : De'Runnya Wilson - First Parade All-American from AL since 2005

engie
05-20-2013, 04:25 PM
in basketball...

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-98634336108626436/wenonahs-derunnya-wilson-named-to-parade-all-american-team-video/

Randy1375
05-20-2013, 04:26 PM
in basketball...

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-98634336108626436/wenonahs-derunnya-wilson-named-to-parade-all-american-team-video/

State lock.

Goat Holder
05-21-2013, 09:42 AM
This guy was a huge recruit for us for a variety of reasons. First of all, he's a sleeper. Second of all, he's a two for one deal, we get him in basketball too, where he may end up full-time. Third, he's just the type of player MSU thrives on - overlooked and not a primadonna, going to camps, starzz, all that shit. Fourth, if this guy comes to Starkville and does it up big, think of the inroads we gain in Birmingham recruiting. Which, to me, is a place we have to start utilizing yearly if we want to compete at a high level.

Coach34
05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Second of all, he's a two for one deal, we get him in basketball too, where he may end up full-time. .

Interesting- I've been led to believe he wont play one second of basketball at State. Curious to see how all this plays out

Goat Holder
05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't know anything more than what I read during recruiting. Don't have any inside sources or anything, just assumed he would since he's so good at it.

slickdawg
05-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Rick Ray has already spoken on this, they are going to give him every chance to play both sports this year.

hailmari
05-21-2013, 10:38 AM
He's a very good high school PF, but his size and skill set more than likely won't translate to college. From what I understand, he has little perimeter game. It never hurts to have someone with some ability on the team, though. I love his potential as a WR more than anything.

BeastMan
05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Interesting- I've been led to believe he wont play one second of basketball at State. Curious to see how all this plays out

Ditto

Political Hack
05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
let him join the bball team after football season and be a Michael Gholar-esq reserve.

engie
05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm perfectly fine with him being a basketball reserve after football season.

Let him join the basketball team for workouts after the Egg Bowl and try to double duty during bowl prep. WR is the easiest position for these kids to learn anyway. Just really need him in good enough shape to play a reserve role for the January basketball games -- where he'll be a huge upgrade over the bench we've been seeing -- and be fully ready to play a role in Feb/March...

BeastMan
05-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I'll let you read b/the lines on why certain people think he won't play both. He isn't qualified yet

Covercorner2
05-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Murphy Holloway 2.0. 6'6 (maybe) with no perimeter game. Worked out OK in college

BeastMan
05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Murphy Holloway 2.0. 6'6 (maybe) with no perimeter game. Worked out OK in college

He'll need about 40lbs of muscle before he's Murph. Murph was a banger but you're overall point is a good one. Great HS basketball player whose game doesn't fully translate. If he was solely a basketball player he could develop into a nice player. The thing is that in football, his ceiling is the NFL

CadaverDawg
05-21-2013, 11:15 AM
He'll need about 40lbs of muscle before he's Murph. Murph was a banger but you're overall point is a good one. Great HS basketball player whose game doesn't fully translate. If he was solely a basketball player he could develop into a nice player. The thing is that in football, his ceiling is the NFL

I wish he was a Murphy Holloway. Our basketball team would greatly benefit from a Murphy Holloway.

Covercorner2
05-21-2013, 11:16 AM
I agree. Luckily for us, Wilson has realized this earlier than Murph. I'm just saying Wilson could also be more than a serviceable BBall player in college and I don't think his size is that much of an issue

Coach34
05-21-2013, 11:34 AM
WR is the easiest position for these kids to learn anyway. ..

apparently not at Miss State

engie
05-21-2013, 11:46 AM
apparently not at Miss State

Haven't had any under the tutelage of Gonzo yet either...

Plus, it's not like we are really expecting Wilson to contribute immediately... Would be nice if one of the 6'4-6'5 freshmen could -- but we'll see. Seems the only likely one to me is Fred Ross...

BeastMan
05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Haven't had any under the tutelage of Gonzo yet either...

Plus, it's not like we are really expecting Wilson to contribute immediately... Would be nice if one of the 6'4-6'5 freshmen could -- but we'll see. Seems the only likely one to me is Fred Ross...

I really thought Shelby Christy could as well but he was injured and I have no idea how his recovery is progressing

601Dawg
05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
What about your boy Fred Brown? You were hyping him up during the spring, do these true freshmen get PT over him?

Coach34
05-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Ross is the only possible Freshman WR I can see playing. Wilson has the body but he has only been playing football a year or so-so he still has alot to learn and will likely be overwhelmed.

We are also going with 2 and 3 TE sets- which will limit the need for extra WR's.

RoJo
Lewis
Chappelle
Brown
Lewis
Holloway
Sanders
Morrow

We have 8 WR's before we even get to Ross- unless he is a straight up baller- I'd just as soon have him RS

BeastMan
05-21-2013, 01:28 PM
What about your boy Fred Brown? You were hyping him up during the spring, do these true freshmen get PT over him?

Ya I like Brown. I don't think it it would be Christy "stealing" reps as much as earning his own. He's a big physical outside guy with good hands. Right now Rojo and Chappelle are the only 2 in that mold. I think Ross is a slot and could get #2 reps freeing Holloway to get moved around more. I saw promise out of a lot of guys in the spring but the only 3 ball catchers I have no doubt on are Rojo, Jameon, and Malcolm.

state66
05-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Ya I like Brown. I don't think it it would be Christy "stealing" reps as much as earning his own. He's a big physical outside guy with good hands. Right now Rojo and Chappelle are the only 2 in that mold. I think Ross is a slot and could get #2 reps freeing Holloway to get moved around more. I saw promise out of a lot of guys in the spring but the only 3 ball catchers I have no doubt on are Rojo, Jameon, and Malcolm.

So does Morrow break out this year? I was so high on this kid when he came in to now not knowing if hell ever contribute.

BeastMan
05-21-2013, 03:10 PM
So does Morrow break out this year? I was so high on this kid when he came in to now not knowing if hell ever contribute.

Morrow has all the potential in the world but he needs to improve his consistency catching the ball