PDA

View Full Version : Oh gosh, another recruit that didn't understand how recruiting works

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2014, 02:52 PM
This is what happens when you are poorly advised.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2014/08/12/meridian-quarterback-no-longer-offered-by-mississippi-state/13956509/

It's like some uneducated recruits haven't come to grips with the fact that MSU is an SEC program and not a back up offer. I get the feeling that some advisers have this perception that an MSU is a "backup plan" that will always be there.

Advisers better get caught up quickly or their kids will be left going to USM. We are about to be a $100 million dollar athletic department. We don't have time to wait on your ass unless you are a superstar.

Saltydog
08-12-2014, 02:58 PM
I have no sympathy for him.

Westdawg
08-12-2014, 03:00 PM
How any high school coach can sit there and say that is ridiculous. I can tell you that Weems is saving face. They want their players to have a chance to go to the next level. But by telling them that it was never communicated that Smith's offer was contingent on other players' commitments or non-commitments.....Bull. You want to keep your options open? you better keep option #1 open first.
I hate to even say that, because far too often, MSU is the one left sitting in the cold rain when a better, dream offer comes to a commit, but it is what it is. the coach, the dad, and the kid should have all recognized that they needed to get in the game with someone, not ride around the country playing baseball thinking that MSU would wait until they decided. I would have known my chances were in jeopardy when the first QB committed!!! Then the second?!?!?! C'mon

LeakyD
08-12-2014, 03:01 PM
His coach is whining about. Maybe he should've explained it to him.

sleepy dawg
08-12-2014, 03:04 PM
There's a high school football coach that may be ignorant? Not possible.

archdog
08-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Well of course his offer is dependent on the timing of his commitment. Do they think we can take every Qb we have offered in the country. We have offered probably 20 QBs and there is no way we can except all of them. He was shopping for a different offer, we were courting other qbs. We got two Qbs, sorry to those who waited. If you wanted to be a bulldog, then commit after you think about it for a while with your families backing.
Other than that, we accept two other Qbs in the class. Sorry that you waited, but we are not waiting anymore unless you are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

hells bells
08-12-2014, 03:11 PM
There's a high school football coach that may be ignorant? Not possible.

Weems has been a high school coach for many, many years. He knew this. JMar's daddy played at Bama and I am sure he thought that would be a part of the plan.

dickiedawg
08-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Am I wrong or were we recruiting him as an ATH?

cheewgumm
08-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Why didn't the coach tell him
How it works?!?? Why doesn't the reporter ask the coach " did you tell him, since he didn't know, that the offer is not good forever?"

How could it be? What if he waits until the last day and goes elsewhere? Infuriating.

Johnson85
08-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Am I wrong or were we recruiting him as an ATH?
That's what I thought. Or really that he was an ATH we'd give a shot at QB. I'm guessing depending how our class is shaping up, if he's willing to sign as an athlete and not a qb, he could probably end up with a spot. But I'm guessing he's not wanting to give up on a shot at QB.

Schultzy
08-12-2014, 04:30 PM
This is just the obligatory, re-hashed once per year MSU pulled a scholly and the in state HS coach is mad about it from the CL.
Because only we pull offers from non-committed in state guys.*

maroonmania
08-12-2014, 04:43 PM
This is just the obligatory, re-hashed once per year MSU pulled a scholly and the in state HS coach is mad about it from the CL.
Because only we pull offers from non-committed in state guys.*

Bingo, anyone with half a brain that doesn't realize the CL uses WHAT they report about to help OM recruiting is just blind. First, this type of story is NOT news and secondly if OM had been the school involved (and you could find a player with the same situation from them) then this would have never seen the light of day.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2014, 04:57 PM
I didn't get the feeling that Weems was upset. He was probably just sounding concerned so that his player feels supported and like he is backed.

Todd4State
08-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Also, there is a chance that Smith plays pro baseball as well.

He had the offer and it's obvious to me that he waited probably because he wanted an offer from Bama. He should have known that wasn't going to happen since Kiffen was hired and Alabama has a QB committed as well, I believe.

The bottom line is if he wanted to come to MSU and play QB he should have committed earlier and come to camp instead of playing baseball.

Goat Holder
08-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Guys, the bigger picture here is the obvious bias of the media. We all know the game. But this article shouldn't have been written.

FanninDawg
08-13-2014, 07:13 AM
On the 'flip' side, I'd rather a kid not commit only to flip later on if/when that 'Bama offer came in. I hate it for this kid but I respect the fact that he didn't commit just to hold his spot.

Dawgface
08-13-2014, 07:56 AM
It should be a given that offers are not on the table forever. I realize there are exceptions like C Jones. But who knows......if he was told to take as much time as needed, that's another story. I doubt 3* recruits are told that.

Coach34
08-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Sooooooo- everyone is supposed to feel sorry for a kid who wasn't good enough to get an offer from his dream school and then his back-up plan moved on when he wouldn't commit? Sounds like everyday life between men and women in relationships.

This is happens all over every freaking year. Kid needs to go to Scooba to prove himself so the big boys will come calling- can also play baseball there

Dawg61
08-13-2014, 09:08 AM
Bingo, anyone with half a brain that doesn't realize the CL uses WHAT they report about to help OM recruiting is just blind. First, this type of story is NOT news and secondly if OM had been the school involved (and you could find a player with the same situation from them) then this would have never seen the light of day.

When we finally get to the day when newspapers can't survive anymore I sure hope it's this one that goes first. Tired of their bullshit.

Goat Holder
08-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Sooooooo- everyone is supposed to feel sorry for a kid who wasn't good enough to get an offer from his dream school and then his back-up plan moved on when he wouldn't commit? Sounds like everyday life between men and women in relationships.

This is happens all over every freaking year. Kid needs to go to Scooba to prove himself so the big boys will come calling- can also play baseball there

What concerns me most is that Weems is willing to talk to the media. He obviously isn't afraid to piss MSU off. That's a problem. I don't know if he is just a blow-hard, or if the CL is just mining for any anti-MSU story available. But it needs to be called out.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-13-2014, 09:27 AM
So what are the othe two QB's chances of going to play baseball? You would think that if you are contemplating going pro in another sport, then maybe you start to fall down the list of priorities for a college coaching staff when you are not one of the top recruits in the country at your position.

Johnson85
08-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Guys, the bigger picture here is the obvious bias of the media. We all know the game. But this article shouldn't have been written.

The fact that the article was written and they speculated about the reasons of MSU coaches yet there is no indication that they tried to check anything in the story with MSU coaches. Even the normal hackish call two hours before print deadline so that they can include the "MSU coaches did not respond to a request for comments" bullshit. I know that it's tough times for newspapers now, but that's no excuse for a story like this to be published. If a story doesn't meet the bare minimum requirements of ethics and competency, just don't publish it. A 3 page paper with decent stories is much better than 15 to 20 pages of crap like this.

maroonmania
08-13-2014, 10:36 AM
The fact that the article was written and they speculated about the reasons of MSU coaches yet there is no indication that they tried to check anything in the story with MSU coaches. Even the normal hackish call two hours before print deadline so that they can include the "MSU coaches did not respond to a request for comments" bullshit. I know that it's tough times for newspapers now, but that's no excuse for a story like this to be published. If a story doesn't meet the bare minimum requirements of ethics and competency, just don't publish it. A 3 page paper with decent stories is much better than 15 to 20 pages of crap like this.

MSU coaches, or any NCAA coaches, are not ALLOWED to talk to the media about specific recruits. The CL knows this so its written from one point of view just like the guy from Panola county last year. Point is this kind of crap is NOT sports news and should never make it past the cutting room floor. This is just recruiting tabloid material on steroids.

HancockCountyDog
08-13-2014, 10:59 AM
This is what happens when you are poorly advised.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2014/08/12/meridian-quarterback-no-longer-offered-by-mississippi-state/13956509/

It's like some uneducated recruits haven't come to grips with the fact that MSU is an SEC program and not a back up offer. I get the feeling that some advisers have this perception that an MSU is a "backup plan" that will always be there.

Advisers better get caught up quickly or their kids will be left going to USM. We are about to be a $100 million dollar athletic department. We don't have time to wait on your ass unless you are a superstar.

This happens with out of state kids all the damn time. Issue here is that it happened with an in-state kid which is why it made the papers. The papers love this shit. To me though, the bigger issue is that I thought Meridian would be a MSU stronghold and now it appears it is anything but one. THat is what pisses me off.

They have two damn good players on their team next year. The big kid that just committed to Bama will most likely play OT and be damn good. The WR from Meridian is really good as well and I expect that Meridian will have SEC caliber athletes for years to come. Is there anyway we could get Tyler to get into coaching? He loves MSU more than he loves himself and would be a great ambassador for us there. I hope it happens. We need Meridian.

TUSK
08-13-2014, 11:19 AM
I have no sympathy for him.

He must have thought he was gonna get a "legacy"/gift-type skolly at Bammer.

I don't think My Dark Lord is that sentimental.

maroonmania
08-13-2014, 11:26 AM
This happens with out of state kids all the damn time. Issue here is that it happened with an in-state kid that MSU was involved with which is why it made the papers. The papers love this shit. To me though, the bigger issue is that I thought Meridian would be a MSU stronghold and now it appears it is anything but one. THat is what pisses me off.

They have two damn good players on their team next year. The big kid that just committed to Bama will most likely play OT and be damn good. The WR from Meridian is really good as well and I expect that Meridian will have SEC caliber athletes for years to come. Is there anyway we could get Tyler to get into coaching? He loves MSU more than he loves himself and would be a great ambassador for us there. I hope it happens. We need Meridian.

FIFY

Johnson85
08-13-2014, 11:32 AM
To me though, the bigger issue is that I thought Meridian would be a MSU stronghold and now it appears it is anything but one. THat is what pisses me off.

I don't know that a kid wanting to play where his dad played, that is also basically as close to home as MSU is, and happens to be a consistent national championship contender, is a sign that we don't have a stronghold on Meridian.

maroonmania
08-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Let's just call a spade a spade, the guy is a marginal SEC prospect at best. Some guys are worth waiting around on and some guys aren't. They are only writing these type articles about guys whose ONLY SEC offer is MSU. It was the same situation with the Liggins kid they wrote about last year.

drunkernhelldawg
08-13-2014, 11:55 AM
His high school coach and his father are the ones who need to show him how the world works. Looks like they were encouraging him to play the system and got him burned. Hope he has a great life.

HancockCountyDog
08-13-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't know that a kid wanting to play where his dad played, that is also basically as close to home as MSU is, and happens to be a consistent national championship contender, is a sign that we don't have a stronghold on Meridian.

Im looking at next year. They have two SEC players on their team and they are headed to the bearsharks and bammers.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Im looking at next year. They have two SEC players on their team and they are headed to the bearsharks and bammers.

They have 3 SEC players & as many as 6 D1 players next year. The 3rd SEC player, Zaire Jones, is a safety that we sit very well with right now.

Covercorner2
08-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Not to mention a lot can happen between now and February, 2016. Like winning 5/6 Egg Bowls and breaking through the SECW

ShotgunDawg
08-13-2014, 12:56 PM
We don't have a strong hold in Meridian at all. Right now we are 3rd there and I'm really not sure why. Hampton went to Ole Miss last year and Meridian has 2 2016s that are committed to Bama and OM.

You would think that Meridian would be an MSU town, but for whatever reason it isn't

Goat Holder
08-13-2014, 01:07 PM
We don't have a strong hold in Meridian at all. Right now we are 3rd there and I'm really not sure why. Hampton went to Ole Miss last year and Meridian has 2 2016s that are committed to Bama and OM.

You would think that Meridian would be an MSU town, but for whatever reason it isn't

I really don't think there is such a thing as an MSU town. West Point would be the closest thing. Alabama is obviously Alabama, and Ole Miss at least has a LITTLE history to hang its hat on (yeah, yeah, deny if you want, but they do a good job of keeping it alive). Both of those teams would also sacrifice their kids lives to honor their universities. We don't have that. Maybe we will in the future with the younger generation....they seem more dedicated to the cause. We haven't been willing to silence the media, and demand a fair shake. Hopefully it changes.

AlSwearengen
08-13-2014, 01:51 PM
I imagine that some folks here know who the olemiss representative in meridian is. I am assuming that there is one.

maroonmania
08-13-2014, 01:57 PM

So I guess our MSU billboards in Meridian with Tyler Russell on them didn't buy us much mileage with the locals.

justwin
08-13-2014, 02:04 PM
they can't be happy with the way MSU underutilized Tyler for 5 years.

Coach34
08-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Tyler wasn't capable of doing anymore than he did

Bubb Rubb
08-13-2014, 02:26 PM

I know he wasn't your favorite, but this statement is wrong on about 25 levels. No need to kick the dead horse.

Goat Holder
08-13-2014, 02:27 PM
they can't be happy with the way MSU underutilized Tyler for 5 years.

Ignorance on display, right here.

Guy was an average QB overall, which is right there at the top of MSU QB history. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he probably would have set more records. When you don't know what you're talking about, it's best to just keep quiet.

If the Russell camp/Meridian/etc. should be upset about anything, it's how our fans treated him during the 2012 offseason. But they should have expected it, just another victim of the MSU QB curse.

Goat Holder
08-13-2014, 02:29 PM
No need to kick the dead horse.

Convenient that you throw that in there when you know you can't back up what you said.

A concussion held Tyler Russell back in 2013. Not Dan Mullen or our offense or anything else.

ShotgunDawg
08-13-2014, 03:04 PM
I really don't think there is such a thing as an MSU town. West Point would be the closest thing. Alabama is obviously Alabama, and Ole Miss at least has a LITTLE history to hang its hat on (yeah, yeah, deny if you want, but they do a good job of keeping it alive). Both of those teams would also sacrifice their kids lives to honor their universities. We don't have that. Maybe we will in the future with the younger generation....they seem more dedicated to the cause. We haven't been willing to silence the media, and demand a fair shake. Hopefully it changes.

Our 2015 class seems to be going well with all these disadvantages.

Bubb Rubb
08-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Convenient that you throw that in there when you know you can't back up what you said.

A concussion held Tyler Russell back in 2013. Not Dan Mullen or our offense or anything else.

Tyler Russell was playing QB in a system that didn't mesh with his skill set. Period. That's not even open for debate. It doesn't mean we got everything we could've gotten out of him.

I don't have to back up what I said. It's common freaking sense.

Goat Holder
08-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Our 2015 class seems to be going well with all these disadvantages.

Wait, are you trying to act like one of our best recruiting classes EVER is indicative of the average?

Goat Holder
08-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Tyler Russell was playing QB in a system that didn't mesh with his skill set. Period. That's not even open for debate. It doesn't mean we got everything we could've gotten out of him.

I don't have to back up what I said. It's common freaking sense.

Yes, you do. You are just regurgitating the same sheep-think misnomer. System this, system that. Yeah it matters, but Russell wouldn't have been much better anywhere else. I'm glad he came here, he set records and elevated our program. We did NOT hold him back, at all (at least our coaching staff - see previous comments on our fans). If anything, we set him up for success, and he had some of it. Many MSU QBs have fared much worse. The guy got hurt his senior year, what do you want us to do? Just bad luck.

Players make the system, not the other way around. Remember that, pal.

justwin
08-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Yes, it would've been great had they put one of our legit power RBs on the field with him. So, yeah the coaches really limited Tyler to what he could accomplish.

justwin
08-13-2014, 04:41 PM
you're so tough.

Remind us how our passing QB got hurt in that OSU game? An all-world passer that's forced to run when ample big RBs on the roster to shoulder the run game. That's on the coaches. You're a fool if you think otherwise. It's more of our coach being unable to actually play the right people around him vs a curse.

Ignorance on display, right here.

Guy was an average QB overall, which is right there at the top of MSU QB history. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he probably would have set more records. When you don't know what you're talking about, it's best to just keep quiet.

If the Russell camp/Meridian/etc. should be upset about anything, it's how our fans treated him during the 2012 offseason. But they should have expected it, just another victim of the MSU QB curse.

justwin
08-13-2014, 04:43 PM
completely wrong again. Mullen not being able to design an offense with the big back in the backfield being someone other than the QB is what held our offense back the last 2 years.

FISHDAWG
08-13-2014, 09:49 PM
All Tyler did was to set the all time MSU record for passing yards** .... Goat is off his Prozac again

Jack Lambert
08-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Just a few years ago Oxford Highschool coach said that MSU recruiters were not going to be allowed back on their campus.

The Federalist Engineer
08-13-2014, 09:53 PM
This is obviously a BS article written to make MSU look harsh.

Bubb Rubb
08-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Players make the system, not the other way around. Remember that, pal.

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on a message board. And that is saying something.

Coaches design the system based on the skills and talents of their players, and then put those players in position to execute that system correctly. You wouldn't want an OBGYN to perform heart bypass surgery, right? So why would you ask a lumbering pocket passer to run the read option? Square peg in a round hole. And he ended up getting hurt for good measure.

FISHDAWG
08-14-2014, 08:51 AM
I think Tyler was a good QB and performed well when he had players that complimented him ... his Junior year was pretty good when he had those senior recvrs such as Chris Smith & Bumphis and not to mention Ballard as a good running back ... problem was his senior year when a new rcvng corp came in with Perkins as the primary RB and Dan trying to run Perk between the tackles ..... yeah, Russell wasn't much of a scrambler but behind a better O Line in his junior year he performed better ..... so yes, players that surround you do make a difference but the system needs to compliment those same players for better utilization ... therefore both points are valid but it is a hybrid

Goat Holder
08-14-2014, 08:57 AM
completely wrong again. Mullen not being able to recruit the big back in the backfield being someone other than the QB is what held our offense back the last 2 years.

Went ahead and fixed that for you.

Mullen did the best with what he had, which was Perkins and Robinson. I hope, for our whole teams' sake, that Robinson is ready to shoulder the load. I hope Griffin is ready to help as well, he's a big X-factor.

Goat Holder
08-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Coaches design the system based on the skills and talents of their players, and then put those players in position to execute that system correctly. You wouldn't want an OBGYN to perform heart bypass surgery, right? So why would you ask a lumbering pocket passer to run the read option? Square peg in a round hole. And he ended up getting hurt for good measure.

Wrong. Mullen did mold the offense for Russell, and it was moving along just fine until he took those hits vs. Oklahoma State. And both times, he was hit on passing plays where he attempted to run after nothing was available. Check the video, it's on youtube. Our offense was find in 2012 too, just didn't have the talent overall to match up with the top teams.

You loudmouth types will just believe anything. You don't think for yourselves, and just tow the sheep party line.

Goat Holder
08-14-2014, 09:04 AM
All Tyler did was to set the all time MSU record for passing yards** .... Goat is off his Prozac again

I think you are the one confused here. I am and have always been an advocate of Russell. Do I think he was an NFL caliber QB? Of course not. But he was average SEC caliber, which at MSU, is right at the top of the list.

FISHDAWG
08-14-2014, 09:13 AM
I think you are the one confused here. I am and have always been an advocate of Russell. Do I think he was an NFL caliber QB? Of course not. But he was average SEC caliber, which at MSU, is right at the top of the list.

yeah ... went back and reread that. Can't really argue with what you just said above ... the confusion is the difference the "for MSU" he was great but elsewhere was average ... I do think he had an above average arm though