PDA

View Full Version : CBS "expert's" predictions

dawgs
08-12-2014, 12:17 PM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/24657073/sec-preview-expert-predictions

Most underrated team: Ole Miss. Bo Wallace is this year's Johnny Football. Robert Nkenmdiche's potential will be realized. Hugh Freeze's recruiting classes will mature. A third-place finish in the West isn't out of the question

Most underrated team: Ole Miss. Last year's hyped freshmen are worthy -- all of them. Bo Wallace is finally healthy. LSU and Texas A&M could be in transition. Finishing second or third in the West is not far-fetched. Time to win at least one game you shouldn't.

Most overrated team: Mississippi State. Even in Starkville, Dan Mullen has never quite gotten the credit he deserves for turning the smoldering wreck he inherited from Sly Croom into a consistent bowl team (in the toughest division in the FBS, no less). But forget this talk about the Bulldogs as West dark horses; no team with State's talent deficits, or one that beats Kentucky, Bowling green and Arkansas by a combined seven points in regulation the year before is ready for that kind of run.

msstate7
08-12-2014, 12:21 PM
...yet OM is ready for the big time despite losing to such an awful team like us

BeardoMSU
08-12-2014, 12:23 PM
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

mstatefan91
08-12-2014, 12:27 PM
All you need to see in those statements is the declaration that Wallace will be this year's "Johnny Football."

I want whatever that guy's been smoking

SDDawg
08-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Bottom line, it's lazy sports writers again and we'll have to live with them until we deliver the kind of season we know we're capable of. This gives me more confidence that OM will slip though, they always do and they're dependable for that if nothing else.

Coach34
08-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Yes- the underrated team is the one that lost 3 starters on the OL- a Spring starter as well on the OL...it's 2 best WR's yardage-wise, and it's big play RB that beat Vandy. And that bunch scored 1 TD in their last 2 SEC games.

Please let kickoff get here soon

dawgs
08-12-2014, 12:29 PM
If ole miss is underrated relative most of their preseason rankings, then they are going to compete for the sec and a playoff spot.

If we are overrated relative most of our preseason rankings, then we are going to miss a bowl game.

Which is more likely, that ole miss goes 7-5 or 6-6 and finishes outside the top 25 and msu goes 8-4 or 9-3 and finishes in the top 25 (if OM is overrated and we are underrated) or that ole miss wins 10+ games and we win 6 or less (if OM is underrated and we are overrated). I know which is the far more likely outcome.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2014, 12:30 PM
The lack of research done by today's journalists and media is very sad.

dawgs
08-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Bottom line, it's lazy sports writers again and we'll have to live with them until we deliver the kind of season we know we're capable of. This gives me more confidence that OM will slip though, they always do and they're dependable for that if nothing else.

I think it's just frustrating because OM hasn't given them a season that justifies the deep throating their getting either.

defiantdog
08-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Honestly, the media can't keep saying the some shit over and over. People would quit reading it. They make articles like this to feed the fire and create discussions. CBS basically said something different to create a new hype. Do you really think anyone will really remember this article come November?

The season isn't that far away and crazier predictions will arise.

gravedigger
08-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Bo Wallace is this year's Johnny Football.

Bo Wallace isn't even two years ago's Bo Wallace.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2014, 12:39 PM
I think it's just frustrating because OM hasn't given them a season that justifies the deep throating their getting either.

True, but lazy sports writers do read twitter every day and keep up with recruiting rankings.

To them, Ole Miss has a good recruiting class two years ago, beat LSU last year, and has a number of players on the All-SEC lists, as they should, because they have adapted the "Stars and Scrubs" model of team building. These teams will always have more "All Stars" than their record indicates they should.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2014, 12:40 PM
When all you know or care about is recruiting rankings then it makes sense that these "journalists" are all on umiss' jock. This will only make the Bulldawg Breakthrough season even sweeter. I can't wait to take down LSU, Auburn, or Bama.

Raytoraid83
08-12-2014, 12:45 PM
I can't wait to take down LSU, Auburn, AND Bama.

Fixed it for you**

MadDawg
08-12-2014, 12:46 PM

nice

DawgHouseUnited
08-12-2014, 01:09 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/f3c94163c0c3b46e614734170d41d3ed/tumblr_inline_mso8auuUYb1qz4rgp.gif

Dawg61
08-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Haha nice one!

maroonmania
08-12-2014, 01:49 PM
True, but lazy sports writers do read twitter every day and keep up with recruiting rankings.

To them, Ole Miss has a good recruiting class two years ago, beat LSU last year, and has a number of players on the All-SEC lists, as they should, because they have adapted the "Stars and Scrubs" model of team building. These teams will always have more "All Stars" than their record indicates they should.

That win against LSU last year where Mettenberger played like he was drunk is buying OM all kinds of mileage. The whole football landscape would likely put a lot more stock in us if we had just held on to beat Auburn last year and they had gone on to a 10-2 season. We have GOT to beat one of the better teams on our schedule this year to get over the hump with the media.

starkvegasdawg
08-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Hope a copy of this goes up in every locker room door.

Coach34
08-12-2014, 02:17 PM
This season is ours for the taking- we have to finish some big games. It's what makes the anticipation for this season so awesome. Can we do it?

PassInterference
08-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Most overrated team: Mississippi State. Even in Starkville, Dan Mullen has never quite gotten the credit he deserves for turning the smoldering wreck he inherited from Sly Croom into a consistent bowl team (in the toughest division in the FBS, no less). But forget this talk about the Bulldogs as West dark horses; no team with State's talent deficits, or one that beats Kentucky, Bowling green and Arkansas by a combined seven points in regulation the year before is ready for that kind of run.

Barely beating bad teams is never weighted with barely losing to good teams.

SMH.

BulldogBear
08-12-2014, 02:33 PM
If ole miss is underrated relative most of their preseason rankings, then they are going to compete for the sec and a playoff spot.

If we are overrated relative most of our preseason rankings, then we are going to miss a bowl game.

Which is more likely, that ole miss goes 7-5 or 6-6 and finishes outside the top 25 and msu goes 8-4 or 9-3 and finishes in the top 25 (if OM is overrated and we are underrated) or that ole miss wins 10+ games and we win 6 or less (if OM is underrated and we are overrated). I know which is the far more likely outcome.

This^ Good grief. Underrated??? Please

Political Hack
08-12-2014, 02:38 PM
ole miss is 2-14 on the road in the SEC the last four seasons. They seem like a legit program.***

drunkernhelldawg
08-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Lucky they can't win the egg by out talking us. There's maybe a prize they can get for that. A certificate or something.

Bully041184
08-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Hope a copy of this goes up in every locker room door.

I'm sure we're running out of room on where to put articles like this.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-12-2014, 04:59 PM
This season is ours for the taking- we have to finish some big games. It's what makes the anticipation for this season so awesome. Can we do it?

As the downtrodden MSU fan I say hell no, but the eager kid inside me who longs for a championship, I say HELL YES!

msstate7
08-12-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm sure we're running out of room on where to put articles like this.

Yeah their trophy case contains pretty much nothing but preseason and recruiting articles lately

Johnson85
08-12-2014, 05:33 PM
...yet OM is ready for the big time despite losing to such an awful team like us when we had to rely on a third string, true freshman qb for 3 quarters of the game

I have no problem with people being skeptical after what we did in big games '11, '12, and '13. But if you're skeptical of MSU, you have to be pretty down on a UM team that lost us last year. Even playing on the road, not being able to score an offensive TD when the other team is having to rely on a third string, true freshman qb is pretty bad.