PDA

View Full Version : English Premier League Thread: Week 1

DudyDawg
08-12-2014, 10:44 AM
It's finally here, ladies and germs. The Premiership kicks off on the 16th, with a great MSU following. Time to tell us all about your team.

My team: Burnley Football Club: Sadly, it does not look good for my Burnley. We are a small town team with a small town stadium and a small town bankroll. Not exactly a recipe for success in the BPL. We start the season with Chelsea (great), and I don't see it getting much better for us after that. We will play hard, and we have a great defense (best in second division last year), but I feel like we lack the quality going forward to score enough to keep up with the big boys. Sadly, I see us being relegated this season, but having one hell of a time while we are in the first division.

Since I was also going to be in charge of an EPL thread before 61 came up with this, I'll give my prediction.
My top four, in order: Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal, Manchester United. I think Chelsea wins because of a few key summer signings, and because Mourinho has a history of kinda feeling things out year one and then winning like crazy in year two (did it at Inter and Real Madrid). The big United jump is all due to van Gaal imo. they will be playing a 3-5-1-1 ish formation this season, and looked much more effective even in preseason.
My three teams being relegated: Burnley, West Brom, Sunderland. Frankly, its harder to pick who will go down than it is to pick who wins it. But, those are my guesses, with Burnley being my most confident.

Here's my European winners:
Italy: Juventus or Napoli, I'll pick Napoli bc picked Juve is too easy.
France: PSG, and not even close
Germany: Bayern Munich, and even less close than France
Spain: My favorite team on planet earth that isn't named MSU, Real Madrid. So much fire power. If you love goals, tune into Bein sports and watch them.

Champions League: As much as I want to say Real Madrid wins back to back titles, I won't. Mainly because no team has ever done it (other than Real Madrid winning the first five in a row). My pick: Bayern Munich. They are like Madrid in that they are stacked in two deep in nearly every position, and I think the signing of Robert Lewandowski brings them the crown.

NOTE: Today (1:30 central time) is the European Supercup between the winners of the Champions League (Real Madrid) and the winners of the Europa League (Sevilla) in Cardiff City. For those who get pumped doing this thread, that game can wet your whistle. Its on Fox sports 1, and will feature the new Madrid signing of James Rodriguez, who likely will start, and Toni Kroos. I will be watching and drinking heavily, win or lose, in my Madrid uni

DanglyGiant
08-12-2014, 10:58 AM
If it's any consolation, I beat ManCity with Burnley last night in FIFA 14. True story.

DudyDawg
08-12-2014, 11:00 AM
If it's any consolation, I beat ManCity with Burnley last night in FIFA 14. True story.

Too late to change my prediction to us winning the league?

Dawg61
08-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Here's to a great season and lots of fun! Thanks Dudy

DudyDawg
08-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Here's to a great season and lots of fun! Thanks Dudy

Gonna give us a Spurs preview, 61?

TheRef
08-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Following your lead, Dudy, it's time for my analysis of the Leicester (pronounced like Lester) City Foxes.

The Foxes come to the Premiership this season following an amazing run to winning the Championship (second-tier) last year. We bring in some talent that have showed promise in the pre-season matchups. New signee Leonardo Ulloa made quite a splash in his first match with two goals and quieted some of the doubters in the LCFC faithful of his inability to score. Granted, it was against lesser competition that he scored, but it's a good sight nevertheless. We have a Danish Goalkeeper who was first signed and trained by Manchester City (though his father played for Manchester United).

The first match of the season comes against the Everton Blues. The game will be held in Leicester City's King Power Stadium which has just undergone renovations in order to be up to par with the rest of the Premiership. Also, a deal with 666Bet makes the 666Bet website the official betting partner of Leicester City. The whole fanbase is excited to be a part of the Premiership for the first time in a decade and is expecting to make a few waves in a season with a lot of promise. I would look for the match to be a fairly close match with it either ending in a draw or a 1-goal win for either team.

The match against Everton will be played this Saturday at 3:00 PM GMT (9:00 AM CT) and can be seen on the NBC Sports Network.

Dawg61
08-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Gonna give us a Spurs preview, 61?

Yea I'll have it up before the 16th

DudyDawg
08-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Following your lead, Dudy, it's time for my analysis of the Leicester (pronounced like Lester) City Foxes.

The Foxes come to the Premiership this season following an amazing run to winning the Championship (second-tier) last year. We bring in some talent that have showed promise in the pre-season matchups. New signee Leonardo Ulloa made quite a splash in his first match with two goals and quieted some of the doubters in the LCFC faithful of his inability to score. Granted, it was against lesser competition that he scored, but it's a good sight nevertheless. We have a Danish Goalkeeper who was first signed and trained by Manchester City (though his father played for Manchester United).

The first match of the season comes against the Everton Blues. The game will be held in Leicester City's King Power Stadium which has just undergone renovations in order to be up to par with the rest of the Premiership. Also, a deal with 666Bet makes the 666Bet website the official betting partner of Leicester City. The whole fanbase is excited to be a part of the Premiership for the first time in a decade and is expecting to make a few waves in a season with a lot of promise. I would look for the match to be a fairly close match with it either ending in a draw or a 1-goal win for either team.

The match against Everton will be played this Saturday at 3:00 PM GMT (9:00 AM CT) and can be seen on the NBC Sports Network.

Nice job, ref. Saw the other day that the owner of Leicester pledges to spend 300 million over three years, which is quite a bit for a club of that size. I don't see the foxes being relegated this year.

TheRef
08-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Nice job, ref. Saw the other day that the owner of Leicester pledges to spend 300 million over three years, which is quite a bit for a club of that size. I don't see the foxes being relegated this year.

Oh yeah. Those Thais know how to use their money in a good way. I'd love for the Foxes to make it more than a couple of years in the Premiership. I'm actually saving up money right now to get FIFA 15 since it will have King Power Stadium and I can play at LCFC in the Premiership.

DudyDawg
08-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Oh yeah. Those Thais know how to use their money in a good way. I'd love for the Foxes to make it more than a couple of years in the Premiership. I'm actually saving up money right now to get FIFA 15 since it will have King Power Stadium and I can play at LCFC in the Premiership.

Haha I'm doing the same thing. Already preordered it. I think it's gonna be one of the best ones by far

DudyDawg
08-12-2014, 01:16 PM
First major trophy of the year kicking off on FS1 in about 20 minutes. Real Madrid versus Sevilla in the UEFA European Supercup

Dawg61
08-12-2014, 01:29 PM

Haha I'm doing the same thing. Already preordered it. I think it's gonna be one of the best ones by far

How bout both y'all save up for the Xbox One and I'll beat your ass in FIFA 15 on there

TheRef
08-12-2014, 01:31 PM
How bout both y'all save up for the Xbox One and I'll beat your ass in FIFA 15 on there

I have a 360 and have no plans on upgrading to the XBO quite yet. Number one reason: I'm a poor college student. Other things take priority over getting a new gaming console for me.

DudyDawg
08-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Haha I'm holding out hope to get the one for Christmas. Can't afford that ish myself on this college bankroll

War Machine Dawg
08-12-2014, 06:43 PM
The Hull City FC Tigers are poised to shock the EPL this year. They are back in the EPL for the second year in a row. Hull City returns a solid core from a team that made the Europa League last season. Not content merely to exist in the PL, Hull added four quality young up-and-coming British players in Tom Ince, Harry Maguire, Robert Snodgrass, and Andrew Robertson. Hull expects these players to help upgrade the midfield and backfield. Snodgrass in particular should be a big part of their plans moving forward.

Hull will open on the road against the Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road Stadium. You'll have to find an internet stream to watch Hull's opening salvo in the conquest of the EPL.

Dawg61
08-12-2014, 09:53 PM
http://youtu.be/3SrHcjOxnTc

http://www.football-wallpapers.org/wp-content/tottenhamhotspur.jpghttp://static.goal.com/333500/333577_heroa.jpghttp://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/233/9/9/tottenham_hotspur_by_lj23_gfx-d5bviop.pnghttp://news.xinhuanet.com/english/photo/2012-12/17/132044920_31n.jpghttp://www.homeleisuredirect.com/Assets/HLD/User/11318-Tottenham-hotspur-square-snippet-600px.jpghttp://www.patgraham.org/data/photos/102_1thf_7508.jpg

Spurs and the Yiddos (Spurs fans) are looking for a bounce back year this year and are fired up with the pretty boy new manager leading the way Mauricio Pochettino http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/67/590x/444477_1.jpg. Better be prepared to play Spurs on a wet field from all the ladies. This guy rivals Kliff Kingsbury. One of you homos reading this wants to bang him. I know it. I know like one guy so far. Adebayor and he is just recovering from malaria so yea he'll be awesome right out the gate. Seriously though Spurs should rally behind the panty dropper manager and be in serious contention for top 4. Watch out for Spurs this year. It's our year!! First match is vs the West Hammers. They suck. 10am ET on Saturday the 16th.

BrunswickDawg
08-13-2014, 11:56 AM
The Potters of Stoke City are one of the 12 founding member of the FA – and have seen little success over the last 50 years suffering through relegation a number of times and even falling to Division 3 on occasion. Since returning to the Premiership in 2008, they have usually hovered around 12th. But, last year was a ray of hope, as they finished 9th.

2014 finds the Potters looking up. The Guardian picks them as 8th this season. Adding Peter Odemwingie seems to have settled some chemistry issues on the club, and brought added confidence to the club that beat Man U, Arsenal, and Aston Villa last season.

Great preview by The Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/13/stoke-city-premier-league-preview-2014-15

Stoke City starts their run Saturday against Aston Villa in a sold out match at their home pitch Brittania Stadium. You can catch them on DirecTV 493 at 7:45 am if you have the Soccer package.

Liverpooldawg
08-13-2014, 05:09 PM
So who has Liverpool in this? Just as a useless point of order: English clubs rarely use their nicknames. You almost never see them used in conjunction with with their club name in print. For example Liverpool might be referred to as Liverpool or more rarely as the Reds, but never the Liverpool Reds. I'm looking forward to seeing this EPL stuff here. I've been rabidly following Liverpool since Stan Collymore and Robbie Fowler were the strike partnership. Not quite as long as the Rocky Felker days when I broke in as a kid MSU man.

Dawg61
08-13-2014, 05:29 PM
So who has Liverpool in this? Just as a useless point of order: English clubs rarely use their nicknames. You almost never see them used in conjunction with with their club name in print. For example Liverpool might be referred to as Liverpool or more rarely as the Reds, but never the Liverpool Reds. I'm looking forward to seeing this EPL stuff here. I've been rabidly following Liverpool since Stan Collymore and Robbie Fowler were the strike partnership. Not quite as long as the Rocky Felker days when I broke in as a kid MSU man.

Welcome to the board, glad to have you contributing. We need it.

Liverpooldawg
08-13-2014, 06:07 PM
My predictions for what little they are worth............
EPL: 1st City 2nd Chelski 3rd Liverpool 4th Arsenal 5th United In all honesty I think 3rd, 4th, and 5th, could go to any of the three with possibly Spurs or the Bluenoses ( a derogatory name used by Liverpool fans for Everton) sneaking into 5th. Relegation: West Brom, Leicester City, Sunderland.

dickiedawg
08-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Get that heresy out of here, LCFC is here to stay.

ebdawg
08-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Here is a preview of my team: Liverpool

Liverpool finished 2nd in the EPL last year after going 26-6-6. This was their best finish in 5 years. The biggest question mark this year is how they will replace Luis Suarez. Suarez was the player of the year in the EPL last year and scored 31 goals. Liverpool will look to Daniel Sturridge who finished with 21 goals last season (2nd in the league behind Suarez) to step up and lead the team in goals.
The best thing about Suarez being gone (besides him biting people) is all the money Liverpool got for him they used on getting players for depth. Most predictions have the Reds finishing anywhere from 3rd to 6th in the league.

Liverpool opens the season vs Southhampton and should be interesting as Liverpool took 3 players from Southhampton in the off season.

My prediction for this season is a top 4 finish.

YNWA

TheRef
08-15-2014, 10:03 AM
For those of you who would like to know, here's an article detailing the most expensive uniforms in the BPL. You can scroll through and see each teams Home, Away, and Alternate jerseys. http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11354724/kit-deal-more-important-ever-premier-league

Dawg61
08-15-2014, 10:55 AM
For those of you who would like to know, here's an article detailing the most expensive uniforms in the BPL. You can scroll through and see each teams Home, Away, and Alternate jerseys. http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11354724/kit-deal-more-important-ever-premier-league

Wow good stuff Ref, interesting to note that Adidas starts the most lucrative manufacturing deal in the history of sport with Man U next year. 10 years for 1.3 BILLION dollars. Adidas is a monster. Them and Nike stand alone from everyone else.

WeWonItAll(Most)
08-15-2014, 10:59 AM
After butting heads with the fans for a few seasons, the owner seems to have given a little bit in terms of being aggressive on the transfer market. From what I can gather on their message boards, there is a lot of animosity between the fans and ownership. The fans think they have the resources to be aggressive on the transfer market and contend for a spot in one of the European tournaments, but the ownership seems perfectly content with mid-table finishes. They also hate the manager and want him gone, but the owner is sticking with him, despite finishing the season last year losing 8 of their last 10 matches. The fans tried to make their voices heard by staging protests at the end of the season and jeering the manager to the point that he did not leave the dugout the entire game, but the manager is still there.

Like I said earlier, the owner got a little more aggressive in the transfer market and made more moves than they have in past seasons, but the general consensus seems to be that not enough was done to contend for European soccer opportunities, especially on the back line. Expect another mid-table finish from this team. They start their season with a home match against Manchester City tomorrow. There will be some extra emotion in the stadium as they honor two of their fans who were killed in the Malaysian airplane in Ukraine as they were going to watch Newcastle play a friendly in New Zealand.

Chinchilla
08-15-2014, 11:03 AM
EPL: 1st City 2nd Chelski 3rd Liverpool 4th Arsenal 5th United In all honesty I think 3rd, 4th, and 5th, could go to any of the three with possibly Spurs or the Bluenoses ( a derogatory name used by Liverpool fans for Everton) sneaking into 5th. Relegation: West Brom, Leicester City, Sunderland.

That's 2/2 in this thread predicting Sunderland to go down. Do you not put any stock into how well they finished last year?

I'm not disagreeing, as I don't follow the offseason enough to know what the non-top-7 teams do. I'm just surprised. I would have thought their strong finish would have made them a popular pick to finish around ten or so.

My predictions:

1) Manchester City - Chelsea seems the more popular pick, but I think people underestimate the fact that City won it last year while having pretty terrible injury luck.
2) Chelsea - Would not surprise me if they won it. I think it's probably going to be a two horse race, although...
3) Arsenal - If one other team makes a push, I believe it will be Arsenal. I very much believe these three will take three of the UCL spots. Leaving a battle for #4 between four teams.
4) Manchester United - I hope Tim Howard's Everton or Deandre Yedlin's Spurs here, but I don't believe they'll have enough. I also think Liverpool's advantage not playing in Europe last year cannot be overstated. Combine that with the fact that they played over their heads imo and lost the player of the year, I think they take a huge step back. So, I guess I'm going with United by default.

Bottom three:

18) West Brom
19) Southhampton - since Liverpool bought their whole team
20) Burnley - from what I've read (not just in this thread), it seems they will be happy to gain experience and resources and come back in 2016 with a stronger team and a real chance to stick around for a while.

TheRef
08-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Bottom three:

18) West Brom
19) Southhampton - since Liverpool bought their whole team
20) Burnley - from what I've read (not just in this thread), it seems they will be happy to gain experience and resources and come back in 2016 with a stronger team and a real chance to stick around for a while.

Small budget problems.

DudyDawg
08-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Don't see Liverpool in Europe again after this season. Sorry

Chinchilla
08-15-2014, 11:19 AM

Question regarding the jerseys: What's the deal with the maroon and light blue color combination? It's hideous, and now with Burnely added, there are three teams that use it. I can see two possibilities:

1) My opinion that it's the ugliest color combination this side of Blacksburg, VA isn't shared by others. So it's just a matter of it being popular because people find it aesthetically pleasing. I find this unlikely however because no one I know of uses it outside of England.
2) The colors have some historical importance in England. If this is correct, does anyone know what it is?

ETA: Wikipedia say the origins of Villa's colors are unknown. West Ham adopted them because someone involved in the early stages of the club was the son of a Villa fan. It appears Burnley just copied Villa also, as it seems they were a big deal about 100 years ago. So, not much a of a story after all.

TheRef
08-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Question regarding the jerseys: What's the deal with the maroon and light blue color combination? It's hideous, and now with Burnely added, there are three teams that use it. I can see two possibilities:

1) My opinion that it's the ugliest color combination this side of Blacksburg, VA isn't shared by others. So it's just a matter of it being popular because people find it aesthetically pleasing. I find this unlikely however because no one I know of uses it outside of England.
2) The colors have some historical importance in England. If this is correct, does anyone know what it is?

It might be a historical combination used by the clubs whenever they were first founded. Either that, or it is dealing with their region of the UK (AKA Wales, Scotland, etc.)

Liverpooldawg
08-15-2014, 11:32 AM
After butting heads with the fans for a few seasons, the owner seems to have given a little bit in terms of being aggressive on the transfer market. From what I can gather on their message boards, there is a lot of animosity between the fans and ownership. The fans think they have the resources to be aggressive on the transfer market and contend for a spot in one of the European tournaments, but the ownership seems perfectly content with mid-table finishes. They also hate the manager and want him gone, but the owner is sticking with him, despite finishing the season last year losing 8 of their last 10 matches. The fans tried to make their voices heard by staging protests at the end of the season and jeering the manager to the point that he did not leave the dugout the entire game, but the manager is still there.

Like I said earlier, the owner got a little more aggressive in the transfer market and made more moves than they have in past seasons, but the general consensus seems to be that not enough was done to contend for European soccer opportunities, especially on the back line. Expect another mid-table finish from this team. They start their season with a home match against Manchester City tomorrow. There will be some extra emotion in the stadium as they honor two of their fans who were killed in the Malaysian airplane in Ukraine as they were going to watch Newcastle play a friendly in New Zealand.

Newcastle are an enigma. They are a BIG club and have some of the best fans in England but they just never het it done. I remember the year they had a 12 point lead Christmas and blew it.

Liverpooldawg
08-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Don't see Liverpool in Europe again after this season. Sorry
Maybe so BUT...............we scored 71 goals last year if you throw Suarez out. That would have tied us for 2nd in the league in goals scored. We weren't one man team by any means and the rest of the squad has been improved quite a bit, esp the defense. Defense is what cost us the league last year. I've been very happy with the signings from what I've seen so far. We still probably need striker, but for depth. Our attack is still going to be VERY good even if we don't sign one.

DudyDawg
08-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Maybe so BUT...............we scored 71 goals last year if you throw Suarez out. That would have tied us for 2nd in the league in goals scored. We weren't one man team by any means and the rest of the squad has been improved quite a bit, esp the defense. Defense is what cost us the league last year. I've been very happy with the signings from what I've seen so far. We still probably need striker, but for depth. Our attack is still going to be VERY good even if we don't sign one.

I agree that you weren't a one man team, but that one man is the only world class player you had. I think Liverpool will still get goals, and yes the defense is better. My reason for them not finishing in the champions league (probably will end in 5/6th in Europa) is that United won't be as bad as they were, Everton will be good again, and Liverpool hasn't really improved overall. They lack some of that elite talent that can take over games IMO, and Gerrard is the only one w a history of that. I think Sturridge, Coutinho, sterling and more will get goals, but not enough to challenge for the prem

Dawg61
08-15-2014, 03:33 PM
So West Ham beat Spurs 3 times last season. The panty dropper is out for blood in his first ever match as Spurs manager. We going to route the Hammers at their shithole on Saturday.

DudyDawg
08-15-2014, 04:06 PM
So West Ham beat Spurs 3 times last season. The panty dropper is out for blood in his first ever match as Spurs manager. We going to route the Hammers at their shithole on Saturday.

Haha I love it. I hope these threads are full of trash talk

TheRef
08-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Haha I love it. I hope these threads are full of trash talk

Give it a bit...I'm waiting for the Top-5/Relegation smack to start rolling. Feelings may be hurt.

Dawg61
08-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Give it a bit...I'm waiting for the Top-5/Relegation smack to start rolling. Feelings may be hurt.

Oh feelings will definitely be hurt this year and we will share laughs, blood, sweat, tears (not me, I don't cry pussies) and drunk shit talking all year. It's going to be GLORIOUS.

Liverpooldawg
08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
I agree that you weren't a one man team, but that one man is the only world class player you had. I think Liverpool will still get goals, and yes the defense is better. My reason for them not finishing in the champions league (probably will end in 5/6th in Europa) is that United won't be as bad as they were, Everton will be good again, and Liverpool hasn't really improved overall. They lack some of that elite talent that can take over games IMO, and Gerrard is the only one w a history of that. I think Sturridge, Coutinho, sterling and more will get goals, but not enough to challenge for the prem

The new SAS (with Sterling) is world class. One half of it was the second leading scorer in the league last year remember. Gerrard is still world class in his new position , which is actually the position he started out in. It's a world class SYSTEM no matter who is playing. I don't think we get the title either, unless there is a major signing up front and even then it's hard to mesh well with as many new boys as we have. I would say next year will be the year. I REALLY want the league. It's the only major trophy we haven't won since I've been following the Reds. Here is a question for all the EPL people here. How did you become a fan of your team? I became a Liverpool fan through watching the EPL highlight show on the OLD first incarnation of Sportsouth back in the early 90s. That was the first ever video from England ever available in Mississippi. I was all prepared to be a fan if the exotic sounding Arsenal or Nottingham Forrest (still like them both). I just kept seeing this little guy in all red scoring these wonderful poacher's goals. That's what I like. His name was Robbie Fowler. I knew nothing of the history till after I had become a fan. I love the English game and have followed it as I could over the years. What we have today is just mind blowing for a guy who used to wait for his monthly World Soccer mag to find out who won games. I have a few other teams I follow to some degree: Salisbury City (THAT is a bizarre situation right now to say the least), Derby County, Altrincham, Pompey, and Stoke. I have a weird story as to why for all of them. I also like Celtic in Scotland.

DudyDawg
08-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Liverpool dog, I'm not a fan of a team in the EPL. I just love watching the league. I'm a Madrid fan. I became a Madrid fan 5 years ago when I was getting back into soccer and saw them play LA Galaxy in a preseason game. I fell in love.

As for Liverpool, I wouldn't put the new SAS as world class. Yes Sturridge is solid, but without Suarez I don't think he gets more than 17 goals. Sterling is young, but promising. It's good. Not world class. World class: Benzema/CR7/Bale Suarez/messi/iniesta robben/lewandowski/Ribery. Hell, last years SAS wasn't even that level.

Liverpooldawg
08-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Last year's SAS scored 51 goals. THAT my friend is world class.

WeWonItAll(Most)
08-16-2014, 12:36 AM
Newcastle are an enigma. They are a BIG club and have some of the best fans in England but they just never het it done. I remember the year they had a 12 point lead Christmas and blew it.

Their owner seems more interested in turning a profit than winning games. And their new signings have a history of fizzling out once they join the club. They call it getting "Pardewed" in honor of their manager Alan Pardew.

They remind me of the Chicago Cubs. A large budget, very devouted fans, the oldest park in the Premier League, but they haven't won a championship in 80+ years and have no reason to be as bad as they are.

Intramural All-American
08-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Everton are going to be battling for a Europa spot this year with a very outside shot at finishing top four to land a Champion's League opportunity. The defense is very solid with Leighton Baines being the best LB in the league, and Phil Jagielka and Sylvain Distin holding down the middle of the defence. Add in Seamus Coleman at right back who scored the most goals as a defender last year. Add Tim Howard to that defense, and Everton has arguably the best defense in the premier league. Chemistry will definitely be strong, since that is the same back 5 to start most of last year, as well. In the midfield, we will really need Steven Pienaar to stay healthy, as well as, Kevin Mirallas. Mirallas is a wildcard who definitely has goals in him. Huge injury blow as Ross Barkley may be out for 1-2 months with a knee knock. Up front, losing out on signing Romelu Lukaku would have been a death blow, however, we secured him for 4 years, and that gives us a legit scoring threat up top. I'm really looking forward to watching the Toffees this year.

Dawgowar
08-16-2014, 06:38 AM
West Ham plays Tottenham today. The Hammers have two strikers out but signed Diafra Sakho earlier this week. Hopefully he can muster some form of offense. Thankfully Tottenham has only won 4 of their last 16 openers and West Ham beat them twice last season. Hopefully we find a way.

http://s25.postimg.org/gmu8vixj3/images_3.jpg

http://s25.postimg.org/h14rmlwe7/West_Ham_United_Sexy_Girls_30.jpg

And may United CRUSH the Swans!

C_Rich22
08-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Crystal Palace FC was promoted to the BPL last season, and surprised many people by being in the BPL again this year. Although, I do not think they will compete for anywhere near the top of the table I'm hoping for no relegation. They have some decent players, but, unfortunately no "superstars" to the average joe. We just recently signed Frazier Campbell to help Dwight Gayle up top, and we hope for some added goals from those two. Looking forward to a great season and a bit of a surprise from my eagles.

Smitty
08-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Match fixing in Manchester? 4 minutes of extra time and they played till 5:41

O well LOL at Man-U!

ebdawg
08-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Great start to the season. Swansea knocks off Manchester United 2-1 at Old Trafford.

David Luiz's Afro
08-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Respeito, cadelas!

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 09:25 AM
So, who got up to watch their team's game? Watching Hull as I type.

dickiedawg
08-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Watching Leister-Everton now. Riveting so far, Everton got the storing started in the 20' and Leicester answered in the 22'. Watching on NBCSports Live Extra on the iPad, and the lag means Twitter gives spoilers.

ETA: Everton pulls back ahead in the 45'.

CT_Palace
08-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Crystal Palace FC was promoted to the BPL last season, and surprised many people by being in the BPL again this year. Although, I do not think they will compete for anywhere near the top of the table I'm hoping for no relegation. They have some decent players, but, unfortunately no "superstars" to the average joe. We just recently signed Frazier Campbell to help Dwight Gayle up top, and we hope for some added goals from those two. Looking forward to a great season and a bit of a surprise from my eagles.

COYP!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeagles!

Liverpooldawg - 3 nil and you fecked it up, 3 nil and you fecked it up ;)

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 09:58 AM
QPR and Hull tied at nil at the half. Watching a shitty non-HD feed from First Row Sports. QPR had a couple good opportunities, but our badass GK is getting the job done. Bad news is that Snodgrass went out in the first half with injury and we had to waste a sub.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Hull scores in the 51' mark. 1-nil Hull!!!!

Oh when the Hull, (Oh when the Hull),
Go marching in (go marching in),
Oh when the Hull goes marching in,
I wanna be in that number,
Oh when the Hull go marching in..

TheRef
08-16-2014, 10:45 AM
GOALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2-2!!!!!!! Wood scores on the first touch off a deflection! 86'

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 10:51 AM
+5?! Are you kidding me?!! C'mon, Hull!! Hang in there!!!!

TheRef
08-16-2014, 10:54 AM
FT: Leicester City 2-2 Everton

That is a high quality draw for Leicester City against one of the top teams in the Premiership. 1 point for each in the standings.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 10:57 AM
1-nil FT! Hull wins!!!! 3 points for the Tiiiiigaaahhhhs!

BulldogDX55
08-16-2014, 10:58 AM
1-nil FT! Hull wins!!!! 3 points for the Tiiiiigaaahhhhs!

CITY TIL WE DIE!

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 11:04 AM
CITY TIL WE DIE!

That game was in-tents. I was about to lose it after that bullshit handball call. Thankfully, Alan McGregor is a badass. And don't even get me started on the +5 stoppage time.

Chester was a BOSS today. Scores the goal, plays great D, then gets the bullshit penalty. I also really liked what Tom Ince brought. He looked like he could be a big time player. Just hope Snodgrass' injury isn't severe and he'll be back without having to miss much time. Btw, Jelavic gets on my nerves. He's the epitome of what's wrong with soccer: constant theatrical flopping and whining to the officials. I wanna slap him.

DudyDawg
08-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Love this hahah. It's great. Luckily Burnley don't play until Monday so I got the chance to sleep in a bit. Tuning into arsenal-CP on NBC at 11:30 tho

TheRef
08-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Love this hahah. It's great. Luckily Burnley don't play until Monday so I got the chance to sleep in a bit. Tuning into arsenal-CP on NBC at 11:30 tho

We face Chelsea after you...so try to wear them down a bit for us. That'd be a bloody miracle if we can get a point on them.

DudyDawg
08-16-2014, 11:23 AM
We face Chelsea after you...so try to wear them down a bit for us. That'd be a bloody miracle if we can get a point on them.

Wear them down lol???? YOU MEAN WAX THAT ASS!!!!

TheRef
08-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Wear them down lol???? YOU MEAN WAX THAT ASS!!!!

Just don't piss them off too badly.

DudyDawg
08-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Just don't piss them off too badly.

Haha you got it.

For those watching the Arsenal game, check out the surface. Known as one of the best. Looks like a carpet out there

TheRef
08-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Arsenal is just overpowering CP in every sense of the word.

TheRef
08-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Interesting note thus far: No home squad has WON their match today. Only 4 matches remain (1 currently in progress)

Dawg61
08-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Spurs snatched 3 points in the final moments today scoring in the 93rd minute, crowd went crazy at Hammers pitch, Spurs must travel well. 1-0 Spurs

TheRef
08-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Spurs snatched 3 points in the final moments today scoring in the 93rd minute, crowd went crazy at Hammers pitch, Spurs must travel well. 1-0 Spurs

You ****ed QPR....that makes us Foxes happy.

DudyDawg
08-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Crystal palace, who's manager literally quit a few days ago, has the lead at the Emirates Stadium. 1-0 over arsenal

TheRef
08-16-2014, 12:17 PM
And Arsenal responds before HT. 1-1 at Emirates.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Yeah, that Arsenal equalizer was lucky as hell. This is turning out to be a crazy Opening Day.

CT_Palace
08-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Yeah, that Arsenal equalizer was lucky as hell. This is turning out to be a crazy Opening Day.

Offside

DudyDawg
08-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Offside

Penalty

Smitty
08-16-2014, 01:19 PM
****ing Gunners.. Shit shit shit

hacker
08-16-2014, 01:19 PM
get em Arsenal! goal in stoppage time

DudyDawg
08-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Wow. Just turned a pretty boring second half into a pretty sweet finish. Looks like a heartbreaker for Palace

Smitty
08-16-2014, 01:20 PM
We're relegated... Horrible luck to start.... Pulis walking.... We're going down

Palace fan = MSU fan again. This is Auburn 2013

TheRef
08-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Well fought match between Arsenal and Crystal Palace. Heartbreaker for CP but nothing to hang your heads about.

Dawg61
08-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Is Cadaver dead? He beats Man U and nothing but crickets. Maybe he drank too much this morning celebrating his Swans

TheRef
08-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Is Cadaver dead? He beats Man U and nothing but crickets. Maybe he drank too much this morning celebrating his Swans

You know how those Swans are.

CadaverDawg
08-16-2014, 03:27 PM

Business as usual.

#Swans

Haha. Its been the busiest week of my life, so I didn't even know!

Dawg61
08-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Business as usual.

#Swans

You know now!! Nice win bro that's gotta be one of their biggest opening wins ever

Liverpooldawg
08-16-2014, 04:13 PM
COYP!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeagles!

Liverpooldawg - 3 nil and you fecked it up, 3 nil and you fecked it up ;)

I actually like CP......for now.

Liverpooldawg
08-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Good opening day although too bad Palace couldn't have hung on. GLORY TO MAN UNITED, LOL.

mstatefan91
08-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Gonna have to do my report later guys. Had to take the GRE this morning and parents coming up for dinner tonight. Long day lol

TheRef
08-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Good opening day although too bad Palace couldn't have hung on. GLORY TO MAN UNITED, LOL.

Man U is the running joke of the week, thus far. Either them or QPR.

Dawg61
08-16-2014, 04:21 PM

Pioneer Dawg has cursed them**

Dawgowar
08-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Business as usual.

#Swans

Cheaters.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 05:39 PM

Don't worry, Ref. You're turn to be MAULED BY THE TIGERS is coming.

TheRef
08-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Don't worry, Ref. You're turn to be MAULED BY THE TIGERS is coming.

The Tigers have to worry about Chelsea next...your time for the Foxes invasion will come.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2014, 05:46 PM
The Tigers have to worry about Chelsea next...your time for the Foxes invasion will come.

Ha, I'm just going to enjoy having more points than Man U after opening day.

Smitty
08-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Beautiful goal by Liverpool

cbrunt29
08-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Liverpool defeats Southampton 2-1

TheRef
08-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Pretty cool of what happened at Newcastle United. They did a pre-game tribute to two supporters who were aboard MH-17 and perished. Both of the captains accompanied parents of the two with wreaths. At the 17' mark, the whole stadium stood and applauded for a straight minute. Straight chills. 0-0 20'

Liverpooldawg
08-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Liverpool defeats Southampton 2-1

It was ugly but I'll take it. We still look dodgy at the back. Going foward there were flashes of last year but it's going to take time to adapt to life without Suarez. I'm not really worried about the attack. The defense is worrisome. Had we been playing a better team it would have been a bad day.

TheRef
08-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Silva with a beautiful goal for Manchester City. 1-0 City 39'

TheRef
08-17-2014, 10:50 AM
HT: Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City

DudyDawg
08-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Hell of a touch by Dzeko on the goal. It's been a good game. Very lovely battle in the midfield

TheRef
08-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Hell of a touch by Dzeko on the goal. It's been a good game. Very lovely battle in the midfield

Agreed. These two teams are fairly even matched, in my opinion, in the midfield. Newcastle's defenders for the most part are holding their own. The forwards for Newcastle are getting their chances. Manchester City's forwards are stumbling over themselves trying to score. The sequence that led to the ball being pushed out slightly over the back line kinda epitomized the first half for them. The two players blocked each other from the ball and it ended up going out. Just your usual first-game jitters.

ebdawg
08-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Some thoughts on Liverpool's win today.
We got the result we needed today. It wasn't pretty, but a win is a win. I thought we looked really good at times and really sloppy other times. The pass from Henderson on the first goal was fantastic. The defense really needs to get better. Hopefully the Alberto Moreno signing yesterday will help the defense out. Overall it's a good start for the Reds as we got the 3 points.

TheRef
08-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Man. Manchester City now has THREE players currently on the pitch with yellow cards. All of them well-deserved bookings.

TheRef
08-17-2014, 11:34 AM
FOUR yellows for Manchester City....wow

TheRef
08-17-2014, 11:36 AM
And now Newcastle United has its first yellow on a weak foul. But it works out in the end.

mstatefan91
08-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Aston Villa wins a tough 3 points against Stoke City on the road in Week 1.

Not much happened in the first half other than a couple of Stoke chances that were mopped up by keeper Guzan

Weimann scores the lone goal in the 50' to give the Villans a 1-0 win.

Stoke had 12 shots to Aston Villa's 7.

We need Benteke back bad but Weimann may be able get us through for now

Dawg61
08-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Way too early prediction puts City 1st Liverpool 2nd Spurs 3rd and the rest of you blokes fighting it out for the final spot.**

DudyDawg
08-18-2014, 09:52 AM
I believe the final game of the week (my Burnley v Chelsea) is today. Look for a quick three points to start the title race for Burnley.....

DudyDawg
08-18-2014, 02:14 PM
GOALLLLL BURNLEY. 1-0 over Chelsea!!! Don't be surprised. They beat united at home in the season opener last time they were in the premier league

DudyDawg
08-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Well, that was fun while it lasted. 1-1 Diego costa ties it up in the 17th minute

DudyDawg
08-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Well, that tie was fun while it lasted. 2-1 Chelsea 21'

Dawg61
08-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Aww damn come on Burnley

DudyDawg
08-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Aww damn come on Burnley

Didn't work out for us haha. Lost 3-1. Sadly it looks like it'll be a long season for us

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2014, 12:20 AM
I discovered my problem with soccer today, after Mario Balotelli was transferred to Liverpool: I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHO PLAYS FOR WHAT TEAM, IN WHAT LEAGUE, AND WHEN THE "TRANSFER/TRADE DEADLINE" IS.

This is what I love about the World Cup. I know who plays for what country, what they are playing for, what they're colors are, and they can't change teams.

I love soccer, but one consolidated, best players in the world, league is desperately needed. I can't follow this.

Players get transferred and don't play for the team they were transferred to, and players get signed by teams, then don't play for them for a while. Then player are put out on loan in the middle of the season of the team they are supposed to be playing for.

Soccer is a great game, but all these different league makes it virtually impossible to follow.

Dawgowar
08-22-2014, 07:39 PM
I discovered my problem with soccer today, after Mario Balotelli was transferred to Liverpool: I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHO PLAYS FOR WHAT TEAM, IN WHAT LEAGUE, AND WHEN THE "TRANSFER/TRADE DEADLINE" IS.

This is what I love about the World Cup. I know who plays for what country, what they are playing for, what they're colors are, and they can't change teams.

I love soccer, but one consolidated, best players in the world, league is desperately needed. I can't follow this.

Players get transferred and don't play for the team they were transferred to, and players get signed by teams, then don't play for them for a while. Then player are put out on loan in the middle of the season of the team they are supposed to be playing for.

Soccer is a great game, but all these different league makes it virtually impossible to follow.

Just keep reading the English sports sections and you will figure it out. Took me about a year to get my arms around the different competitions. Think of the loan system as another form of AAA Baseball. The youth teams as AA, etc.

It gets to be like a great reality show. Runs from Summer to Late Spring, a month off and we start again.