PDA

View Full Version : Guess who Gus Malzahn mentioned first...

HoopsDawg
08-12-2014, 09:29 AM
as a key loss from last year, not Tre Mason or Greg Robinson, he mentioned Jay Prosch. Prosh led the way from that H-back position on almost every Mason run and allowed Malzahn to outnumber the defense at the point of attack.

I'm going to keep beating this drum b/c I can not understand why Mullen went away from the Hanahan/Hemphill role that was so effective his first 2 years leading the way for Anthony Dixon and Vic Ballard. I really think that's a big reason for the dropoff in RB production. I think maybe that was his answer to fitting the offense to Tyler Russell, but now that our roster is stocked with dual threat QB's, I hope he brings back the devasting blocker H-back role.

ETA: I also don't know why our media guys don't question him on this.

Covercorner2
08-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Yep. I watched the replay of the AU-UGA game last night and that's the one thing that stuck out. He was KEY in the majority of their big runs...

messageboardsuperhero
08-12-2014, 09:55 AM
as a key loss from last year, not Tre Mason or Greg Robinson, he mentioned Jay Prosch. Prosh led the way from that H-back position on almost every Mason run and allowed Malzahn to outnumber the defense at the point of attack.

I'm going to keep beating this drum b/c I can not understand why Mullen went away from the Hanahan/Hemphill role that was so effective his first 2 years leading the way for Anthony Dixon and Vic Ballard. I really think that's a big reason for the dropoff in RB production. I think maybe that was his answer to fitting the offense to Tyler Russell, but now that our roster is stocked with dual threat QB's, I hope he brings back the devasting blocker H-back role.

Because our media never asks any good, informative questions.

Maroons
08-12-2014, 10:26 AM
While I agree with your thought, we have a few guys this year who can be used in that role as well as be a threat to run or catch. It's great to have a lead blocker as good as Prosch, but it's even better to have a guy who's also a threat with the ball and will keep a D honest.

MetEdDawg
08-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Offenses like ours and Auburn's are so much more versatile and powerful with an HB/FB type like a Prosch. Our offense with HanraMan at HB/FB was very versatile. Now we didn't use him a lot in pass catching situations, but he was one hell of a lead blocker. He opened up holes on the outside like nobodys business.

Then you catch the defense napping on him and you throw a wheel route to him and it's almost guaranteed big yards. I wish we used more of that style from 2010 with Relf at QB, especially with a smart QB like Dak. I agree that I don't know why we went away from that. I think it's just another wrinkle that we could add in that protects Dak and the RBs by giving them an agile lead blocker in certain situations.

Coach34
08-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Screw that. We need a Thumper like Auburn has had. MoJo ain't no Thumper when he has to be

i agree with Hoops on this one

Raytoraid83
08-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Shumpert play a version of this role. Also defenses will still have to respect him to make plays with the ball in his hand.

War Machine Dawg
08-12-2014, 11:13 AM

You can keep beating, but it won't do any good. Hell, I've been begging for us to put Griffin at FB for a year now. It clearly isn't happening. All you're going to accomplish is becoming a broken record and annoying the **** out of the board by posting about this over and over and over and over and over........

HoopsDawg
08-12-2014, 12:34 PM
All you're going to accomplish is becoming a broken record and annoying the **** out of the board by posting about this over and over and over and over and over........

You would certainly know about that.