PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football chat...

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 02:08 PM
I have some questions about keeper leagues and would like to discuss other fantasy football topics if anyone is interested. Click on EliteChat in the upper left of the board and join me

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Well, Nevermind, it won't let me chat on IPad for some reason. Slick, is there a way I can chat on mobile? I thought I used to.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Since I can't chat. Can someone explain the way a keeper league works? I'm in a league that has keepers, but from what I understand, you lose your first 2 picks if you keep 2 players. So do you Have to keep? If so, do you have to keep 2, or can you just keep 1? What are the pros and cons to keeping/not keeping if you don't have to?

I won the league last year, but I didn't have many great players, except for Adrian Peterson and Jordy Nelson. I would imagine AP is worth keeping, but is Nelson? What do people typically keep?

I'm used to playing in standard leagues, so this is my first keeper league.

jumbo
08-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Since I can't chat. Can someone explain the way a keeper league works? I'm in a league that has keepers, but from what I understand, you lose your first 2 picks if you keep 2 players. So do you Have to keep? If so, do you have to keep 2, or can you just keep 1? What are the pros and cons to keeping/not keeping if you don't have to?

that totally depends on the league. I'm in a keeper league that doesn't actually require you to keep anybody, which I think is stupid. If you do not keep anyone, you would essentially get to pick first from all the non-kept players as those first 2 rounds would auto-draft for everyone else, but you would get to make your selection. So the first 2 rounds would look something like this

Team 1- Auto Pick Keeper
Team 2- Auto Pick Keeper
Team 3- Auto Pick Keeper
Team 4- Auto Pick Keeper
Your Team- Manual pick from all available players

I would definitely keep AP regardless of whether you have to keep anyone or not. What is the rest of your team?

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 03:03 PM
that totally depends on the league. I'm in a keeper league that doesn't actually require you to keep anybody, which I think is stupid. If you do not keep anyone, you would essentially get to pick first from all the non-kept players as those first 2 rounds would auto-draft for everyone else, but you would get to make your selection. So the first 2 rounds would look something like this

Team 1- Auto Pick Keeper
Team 2- Auto Pick Keeper
Team 3- Auto Pick Keeper
Team 4- Auto Pick Keeper
Your Team- Manual pick from all available players

I would definitely keep AP regardless of whether you have to keep anyone or not. What is the rest of your team?

I have Romo, Jordy Nelson, and a bunch of lower round guys. It's a league with like 16 teams(too many, but I don't make the rules), so I'm thinking I should keep AP and Jordy as they are listed in the top 20 in most boards...

Thoughts?

jumbo
08-11-2014, 03:15 PM
I would for sure hold onto both.

Political Hack
08-11-2014, 03:42 PM
most leagues you just get X keepers and don't have to sacrifice any picks for them. usually that's a 1 or 2 keeper type league.

my main league is an auction league where you can keep anyone for their draft amount for 3 years. there's also a straight rookie draft where you can grab rookies for your practice squad. you can activate them for $X, or someone else can activate your rookies if you won't activate them and pay then the base rookie salary for the 1st or 2nd rounds.

that's the most fun league I've been in. regular leagues don't even keep my interest anymore. All auction. all keeper.

Dawg61
08-11-2014, 04:20 PM
I am in a keeper league for NFL and MLB. We get 4 keepers in the NFL one, 12 team league. If it's me I would obv keep AP but I wouldn't keep Nelson because I think you can get a steal at QB there. Potentially a QB you'll have for a long time. If you're ballsy you could take Foles, maybe Luck is there, or do you dare take and keep Johnny Football? JFF is going to be the starter and he's going to put up a ton of fantasy points because he is their offense with Gordon out and with Gordon there even better. I don't think JFF is going to run all that much either. He's smarter than people give him credit and knows he must stay healthy. Be ballsy. Take Johnny Football.

sleepy dawg
08-11-2014, 04:27 PM
As others have said, all keeper leagues can vary. One of the most common is a 2 person keeper. A properly run keeper league would make you keep 2 keepers instead of allowing you to draft in those positions. Most keeper leagues have a maximum years you can keep a guy too. In my leagues, I replace the keepers with the last 2 rounds so you can still speak in terms of 1st round, 2nd round accurately, and if owners try to say they want to draft an extra player and not keep a guy, it will never make sense.

Deciding your keepers should be pretty easy... you have to keep the 2 most valuable players. Some will focus on position, and that's fine if you have a 2 and a 3 guy that are basically equal, but otherwise you have to go with your top 2 overall guys.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Looks like I need to find out how the keepers affect the draft order before making a decision. If they count as my 1st and 2nd picks, I might as well keep Jordy and AP, bc otherwise I would keep AP and then get a second pic as low as #32 possibly, and Nelson is better than that. If everybody must keep 2, and we draft in regular order, I'm in excellent shape to grab a stud QB early and put this thing to bed before it starts.

Dawg61
08-11-2014, 04:46 PM
If Peyton plays like he did last year you and everyone else is playing for 2nd place unfortunately

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 04:48 PM
If Peyton plays like he did last year you and everyone else is playing for 2nd place unfortunately

I didn't have Peyton and I won our league. But yes, you are right that most leagues will be won by Peyton

Political Hack
08-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Looks like I need to find out how the keepers affect the draft order before making a decision. If they count as my 1st and 2nd picks, I might as well keep Jordy and AP, bc otherwise I would keep AP and then get a second pic as low as #32 possibly, and Nelson is better than that. If everybody must keep 2, and we draft in regular order, I'm in excellent shape to grab a stud QB early and put this thing to bed before it starts.

yes. that's huge. If Nelson forces you to drop a 6th round pick, it's a different ball game. AP is gonna be a 1st unless you're inheriting him from a team that plucked him later when he was injured.

dawgs
08-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Brees and Rodgers are more than capable of matching Peyton's numbers. You have to assume Peyton doesn't have another record setting season in him at this age, so some regression is expected (like "only" 4800 yds and 44 TDs). Luck could also make the big leap (it's coming one of these years, he's already great, just waiting for him to make the all-time great leap). IMO if you are drafting Peyton expecting him to repeat last year, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. He might be the best QB again, but the gap won't be that huge this year.