PDA

View Full Version : Turf Question

Smitty
08-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Watching this MLS game getting ready for the Crystal Palace season has me wondering.... How do they have a different field design for the MLS field and NFL field since they are both in the same stadium... I thought that turf was stitched together. Seems like it would be a bitch to swap back and forth.

steeldawg
08-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Watching this MLS game getting ready for the Crystal Palace season has me wondering.... How do they have a different field design for the MLS field and NFL field since they are both in the same stadium... I thought that turf was stitched together. Seems like it would be a bitch to swap back and forth.

Each stadium is different. For example, Reliant stadium in Houston has several field surfaces. They place pieces of sod on large pallets and they bring in the pallets on forklifts and join them together. Cowboys stadium has large rolls of turf and forklifts they unroll (the cowboys have their own field and college/high school has another). Some surfaces are permanent, but field crews just use water based paints to lay temporary lines/markers down and a simple soap/water solution can clean it up pretty easily.

It depends on the surface... natural grass is much harder to transition without leaving residual lines, where-as artificial turf is designed to be easier to change over.

jumbo
08-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Century Link Field has field turf and all the logos and lines and what not are painted on with a removable paint. To remove it it's essentially pressure washed. All that black you saw was the rubber pellets that make up the top layer of the field turf

missouridawg
08-11-2014, 09:19 AM

Is Crystal Palace where Walter White went after he died?