PDA

View Full Version : A bullet point or two about the scrimmage.

gravedigger
08-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Defense won the day big time. Offense wasn't exactly anemic, but 1,2 and 3 defensive units are very strong.

Remember the name Gray on defense. Think Ashley Cooper.

Still having trouble in the field goal game.

No real stats to tell you except there were only about 7 Td's scored in 160 plus plays.

The drone I used to spy on the practice suddenly went haywire and hovered outside the freshmen girls dorm. Notes from that are in next months penthouse forum.

Digger

CadaverDawg
08-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Defense won the day big time. Offense wasn't exactly anemic, but 1,2 and 3 defensive units are very strong.

Remember the name Gray on defense. Think Ashley Cooper.

No real stats to tell you except there were only about 7 Td's scored in 160 plus plays.

The drone I used to spy on the practice suddenly went haywire and hovered outside the freshmen girls dorm. Notes from that are in next months penthouse forum.

Digger

http://media3.giphy.com/media/ENagATV1Gr9eg/giphy.gif

Thanks Digger. Cooper is one of my favorites of all time...you have me pumped about Gray. Think he'll play significant minutes this year? Or too early to tell?

codeDawg
08-10-2014, 10:07 PM

http://master-cdn.memepix.com/images/large/251pc.jpg

thunderclap
08-10-2014, 10:07 PM
"Still having trouble in the field goal game."

Awesome.

Thanks for the notes.

gravedigger
08-10-2014, 10:15 PM
JT Gray. He was all over the place. Not tall. Hybrid DB/LB. maybe fastest player on defense. Supposedly lead all tacklers. But, yes. Too early to tell.

Collins knows the offense as well as the defense so the advantage they have will not be something many, if any other teams enjoy.

msstate7
08-10-2014, 10:16 PM
How well did the ol hold up against dl?

gravedigger
08-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Yea. I wasn't happy about that either. Says the kicker from Michigan was no better than anyone else. Wish I had better news.

gravedigger
08-10-2014, 10:21 PM
From the word I got, DL dominated. But no specifics on any particular unit except the field goal kickers.

Reason2succeed
08-11-2014, 06:39 AM
The offense has three OOC games to find rhythm so I'm not really worried about them. By LSUx the offense needs to be humming though.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 08:05 AM
I'm afraid we are going to need to be unreal on Offense, because our Special Teams isn't very special.

msstate7
08-11-2014, 08:10 AM
I'm afraid we are going to need to be unreal on Offense, because our Special Teams isn't very special.

I'm beginning to wonder if our FG kicking futility has more problems than just the kicker.

thf24
08-11-2014, 08:16 AM
I'm staying optimistic about the kicking game until we see it on the field. Out of the three guys our staff identified as college-level kickers and brought in plus the two we already had, surely someone will emerge. Let's also keep in mind that practice isn't a wonderful indicator of how a kicker will perform in game as Devon Bell was allegedly all-world in practice the past two years.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 08:24 AM
I'm staying optimistic about the kicking game until we see it on the field. Out of the three guys our staff identified as college-level kickers and brought in plus the two we already had, surely someone will emerge. Let's also keep in mind that practice isn't a wonderful indicator of how a kicker will perform in game as Devon Bell was allegedly all-world in practice the past two years.

True. It would be a damn shame if we were good enough to possibly win the West, only to have our lack of a field goal kicker keep us from the promised land.

codeDawg
08-11-2014, 08:39 AM
True. It would be a damn shame if we were good enough to possibly win the West, only to have our lack of a field goal kicker keep us from the promised land.

For everything great Dan does, this has been my biggest frustration. Field goal kickers score points. Lots of points. They hold all-time scoring records at schools. This is not a position that should be allowed to flounder, especially on a team where offense has been lacking at times.

He finally made the right move this year in finding a transfer with experience and giving over duties to another coach. I don't know if it is something we are doing or not doing that is not working, but we have got to get that figured out. Think about how important kickers were under The Kang. Must. Figure. It. Out.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 08:44 AM
For everything great Dan does, this has been my biggest frustration. Field goal kickers score points. Lots of points. They hold all-time scoring records at schools. This is not a position that should be allowed to flounder, especially on a team where offense has been lacking at times.

He finally made the right move this year in finding a transfer with experience and giving over duties to another coach. I don't know if it is something we are doing or not doing that is not working, but we have got to get that figured out. Think about how important kickers were under The Kang. Must. Figure. It. Out.

I agree. That's why I wish we could hire the Kang to coach our Special Teams. Jackie's offenses weren't as potent as Dan's, but the Special Teams factor evened things out considerably when it came to overall production of the team.

Jackie:
Poor offense
Excellent Defense
Excellent Special Teams

Dan:
Above average offense
Very good defense
Poor Special teams

maroonmania
08-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Seriously I'm to the point where I don't see why we can't pick up a JUCO FG kicker every couple of years for the job that the coaches have seen kick without a tee for 2 years and can look at the results and who should also need minimal coaching since he would come in as a JR and would have been kicking in college for 2 years. I have ZERO faith in our ability to develop a kicker but I don't see why we can't bring in a JUCO who is pretty much ready to go as is and just leave him alone. I'm not even asking for a great FG kicker, plain out simple ol' mediocrity would be a huge step up for us.

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 09:21 AM
We should have hired John Baxter as ST/TE coach and moved Sallach to the office. And he's still available.

tcdog70
08-11-2014, 09:21 AM
i think, my pet peeve with Dan is His inability to have an average kicking game. I have said numerous times the difference in Us winning 7 games and 10 games will be the play of our special teams. We could just sign Scooba's kicker every 2 years and be way ahead of the game. half- the JUCO's in Ms have better Kickers than Us. There is no excuse for the shitty kicking.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 09:28 AM
i think, my pet peeve with Dan is His inability to have an average kicking game. I have said numerous times the difference in Us winning 7 games and 10 games will be the play of our special teams. We could just sign Scooba's kicker every 2 years and be way ahead of the game. half- the JUCO's in Ms have better Kickers than Us. There is no excuse for the shitty kicking.

Completely agree. I remember USM had the worst kicker in the country in the Hwrappman guy....and after one off season of working with their ST coach, he either won the Groza, or came close to it. We are in the best conference in America, find a damn kicker.

blacklistedbully
08-11-2014, 09:57 AM

Yeah, but that's not usually a two-way street. "Good in practice, then suck in games" happens a lot more than, "suck in practice, then good in games".

maroonmania

JUCOs are the perfect place to evaluate FG kickers because they are doing the EXACT same thing you need done in D1. FG kicking doesn't change much based on competition level faced. Only difference is kicking in front of larger crowds.

State82
We are in the best conference in America, find a damn kicker.

I just cannot wrap my brain around the place kicking situation we are in at present. It's uncanny. I'm willing to see how it plays out the first few games before I become completely livid about the whole deal. Inexcusable if it is another failure in that department.

FISHDAWG
08-11-2014, 10:14 AM
I just cannot wrap my brain around the place kicking situation we are in at present. It's uncanny. I'm willing to see how it plays out the first few games before I become completely livid about the whole deal. Inexcusable if it is another failure in that department.

well get ready cause it's to late to do anything about it this season

HoopsDawg
08-11-2014, 10:28 AM

I'm not sure how/why Mullen didn't address this glaring issue. We have a good punter in Devon Bell who is only a junior yet we go out and sign a punter to a scholarship and ignore the kicker position.

Pollodawg
08-11-2014, 10:52 AM
It is a little disconcerting that after 16o plays only 7 tds were scored. Of course, the D is usually ahead of the O this time of year, but even still. There is just too much State fan in me not to worry about something.

Reason2succeed
08-11-2014, 10:59 AM
The problem may be that we have so many offensive and defensive starters on ST that they treat ST as their secondary responsibility. If we used backup players then the special teams could be practicing WHILE the starters are still practicing on Off and Def. I'm also skeptical of whether Knox has really taken over the ST or was it just a title change to pacify the fans.

mstatefan91
08-11-2014, 11:03 AM
The problem may be that we have so many offensive and defensive starters on ST that they treat ST as their secondary responsibility. If we used backup players then the special teams could be practicing WHILE the starters are still practicing on Off and Def. I'm also skeptical of whether Knox has really taken over the ST or was it just a title change to pacify the fans.

The kickers have one responsibility.... kicking. They don't do anything else. This means that the kickers are either just no good, lazy, or total head cases. Time to open up tryouts for placement kicker. There are plenty of people on campus that can hit a 30-35 yarder consistently

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 11:10 AM
The kickers have one responsibility.... kicking. They don't do anything else. This means that the kickers are either just no good, lazy, or total head cases. Time to open up tryouts for placement kicker. There are plenty of people on campus that can hit a 30-35 yarder consistently

I agree. I have zero tolerance for kickers. They have one job....kick field goals. A SEC kicker should be damn near automatic from 35 yards in, and have a good shot at making everything from 40-45 yards and in. We aren't asking for Gostkowski (although he was from Madison and we let him get away), just get someone that can make 80% from inside 40 yards and we'll all shut up. Hell, steal Mississippi College's kicker.

Reason2succeed
08-11-2014, 11:50 AM
But the kick defense and the lines have to do other things right? I'm certain that Dak is the holder. So the kickers don't get LIVE experience with their real holder and defense very often. What if the problem is laces out like on Ace Ventura: Pet Detective? ***

mstatefan91
08-11-2014, 11:57 AM
But the kick defense and the lines have to do other things right? I'm certain that Dak is the holder. So the kickers don't get LIVE experience with their real holder and defense very often. What if the problem is laces out like on Ace Ventura: Pet Detective? ***

Is this whole post sarcastic or just the end? The kicker has one job. They should be focused on one job. Let everyone else focus on their jobs

War Machine Dawg
08-11-2014, 12:00 PM

I entirely disagree. Our FG kicking is very "special."

War Machine Dawg
08-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Seriously I'm to the point where I don't see why we can't pick up a JUCO FG kicker every couple of years for the job that the coaches have seen kick without a tee for 2 years and can look at the results and who should also need minimal coaching since he would come in as a JR and would have been kicking in college for 2 years. I have ZERO faith in our ability to develop a kicker but I don't see why we can't bring in a JUCO who is pretty much ready to go as is and just leave him alone. I'm not even asking for a great FG kicker, plain out simple ol' mediocrity would be a huge step up for us.

Been saying this for over a year now. I'm sick as hell of recruiting HS kickers and having to try to project if they can kick without a tee. Just go get a damn JUCO and let him do his thing. Hell, you think the Kang would ream Mullen's ass about not having a kicker worth a shit. They're supposedly buddies and talk regularly.

War Machine Dawg
08-11-2014, 12:06 PM

I've thought it was the latter all along. Token move by Mullen without actually changing anything. If he'd been serious about it, he'd have moved Sallach off the field and used his spot to go outside the program for a ST coach.

BeardoMSU
08-11-2014, 12:07 PM
I entirely disagree. Our FG kicking is very "special."

More like "simple".

Raymond Babbitt would be an upgrade from what we have.

War Machine Dawg
08-11-2014, 12:08 PM

Also been saying this for years. I'll never forget Mike Leach having a bunch of shitastic kickers one year at TX Tech. He held open tryouts in the middle of the damn season and found a kicker. I guarantee we've got some guys on campus capable of making it from 35 and in consistently. If we'd just do that, I'd be thrilled.

Reason2succeed
08-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Just the end.

sandwolf
08-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Been saying this for over a year now. I'm sick as hell of recruiting HS kickers and having to try to project if they can kick without a tee. Just go get a damn JUCO and let him do his thing. Hell, you think the Kang would ream Mullen's ass about not having a kicker worth a shit. They're supposedly buddies and talk regularly.

I remember you and I going back and forth about this a while back. I agree that you would definitely think that we should be able to find a solid JUCO kicker, but for whatever reason, there doesn't appear to be very many out there.....or there sure aren't very many that are getting signed by BCS schools. In the last 4 years, there have been 3 kickers signed out of the MS JUCO's....one by the University of North Alabama, one by UAB, and one by ULL. So, its not like the staff is ignoring JUCO kickers, I just don't think there have been very many viable options out there. And like you said, since they are already kicking without a tee, you ought to have a pretty good idea of what you are getting, which means that the coaches aren't going to offer them a scholarship unless they are clearly better than what we already have. I am sure that we offered at least a couple of these guys a preferred walk on spot, but they weren't going to turn down the scholarship from the smaller school.

But don't think that I am in any way cutting Mullen a break, because there is no excuse for our kicking situation to be as bad as it is. I honestly think that he should hold tryouts....I think he ought to start by meeting with the club soccer team, and having a closed tryout for any of those guys that are interested. Then, he ought to have a tryout that is open to every student on campus. I would just like to see him show a sense of urgency about getting it fixed, and I don't give a shit whether he fields a 135# physics major or some JUCO that nobody has ever heard of, I just want to feel confident that we are going to come away with points when we get into the red zone, regardless of whether we score a touchdown.

preachermatt83
08-11-2014, 04:44 PM

I know for a fact that Dan is still the one working with the Kickers. Knox may run all the other ST stuff but Dan is coaching kickers.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2014, 04:57 PM
It is a little disconcerting that after 16o plays only 7 tds were scored. Of course, the D is usually ahead of the O this time of year, but even still. There is just too much State fan in me not to worry about something.

What if I told you that when Dak was in the game we scored 4 TDs in 65 plays?

The problem with these type of stats is that they lack context. Remember that Staley and Fitz probably got 40-60 of those snaps. How many points could you expect those guys to score when they are true freshmen?

I have no idea what the context is, but it would seem to me that would greatly matter in this situation.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Furthermore, if these offensive stats are correct, then I don't think it's that bad at all. Especially if we believe that we have one of the best defenses in the SEC and this is their first scrimmage.

If we scored 7 TD in 160 plays, that equals 0.306 points per play. If you multiply 0.306 points per play by the normal 70 plays per game, that = 21.4 points after extra points.

Then, toss in the fact that Paul Jones said this morning that our field goal kickers missed the first 3 FGs and made the last 5. That means that we scored an additional 15 points, if these FGs were within the run of play, and left another 9 points on the field.

7 TDs in 160 plays, may seem pedestrian when you don't break it down or don't know the context in which the points were scored. However, after breaking it down, I am pretty impressed if our offense actually accomplished this in their first scrimmage against an elite defense.

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 05:19 PM
I agree. I have zero tolerance for kickers. They have one job....kick field goals. A SEC kicker should be damn near automatic from 35 yards in, and have a good shot at making everything from 40-45 yards and in. We aren't asking for Gostkowski (although he was from Madison and we let him get away), just get someone that can make 80% from inside 40 yards and we'll all shut up. Hell, steal Mississippi College's kicker.

We probably weren't going to get Gostkowski anyway. He was an Ole Miss fan.

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 05:24 PM
I remember you and I going back and forth about this a while back. I agree that you would definitely think that we should be able to find a solid JUCO kicker, but for whatever reason, there doesn't appear to be very many out there.....or there sure aren't very many that are getting signed by BCS schools. In the last 4 years, there have been 3 kickers signed out of the MS JUCO's....one by the University of North Alabama, one by UAB, and one by ULL. So, its not like the staff is ignoring JUCO kickers, I just don't think there have been very many viable options out there. And like you said, since they are already kicking without a tee, you ought to have a pretty good idea of what you are getting, which means that the coaches aren't going to offer them a scholarship unless they are clearly better than what we already have. I am sure that we offered at least a couple of these guys a preferred walk on spot, but they weren't going to turn down the scholarship from the smaller school.

But don't think that I am in any way cutting Mullen a break, because there is no excuse for our kicking situation to be as bad as it is. I honestly think that he should hold tryouts....I think he ought to start by meeting with the club soccer team, and having a closed tryout for any of those guys that are interested. Then, he ought to have a tryout that is open to every student on campus. I would just like to see him show a sense of urgency about getting it fixed, and I don't give a shit whether he fields a 135# physics major or some JUCO that nobody has ever heard of, I just want to feel confident that we are going to come away with points when we get into the red zone, regardless of whether we score a touchdown.

I agree. My biggest problem is Dan just doesn't seem to care if we have a good kicker or not. It's like he is absolutely clueless when it comes to kicking. "Well, all we can do is go by what they do in practice".

He's damn lucky that we didn't lose the Egg Bowl last year because of special teams. If that had happened, his ass would be on the hot seat right now. All because he can't find someone to kick a field goal from 30 yards out consistently.

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Also been saying this for years. I'll never forget Mike Leach having a bunch of shitastic kickers one year at TX Tech. He held open tryouts in the middle of the damn season and found a kicker. I guarantee we've got some guys on campus capable of making it from 35 and in consistently. If we'd just do that, I'd be thrilled.

Yeah because Leach at least has the sense to realize that it would be really bad to lose a game because his kicker can't kick a field goal or shanks a PAT.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 05:25 PM
We probably weren't going to get Gostkowski anyway. He was an Ole Miss fan.

I know, but you get my point. Same with the Waters kid from Prep. He went on to be a stud kicker at UAB.

Dawgcentral
08-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Don't forget the Women's Soccer Team when it comes to try-outs. If she can nail it from 35 yards we can use her.

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 05:27 PM
I know, but you get my point. Same with the Waters kid from Prep. He went on to be a stud kicker at UAB.

Now, we probably have gotten him.

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I've thought it was the latter all along. Token move by Mullen without actually changing anything. If he'd been serious about it, he'd have moved Sallach off the field and used his spot to go outside the program for a ST coach.

If the kickers suck this year, what we need to do is keep Knox and let him do the ST "scheming"- like coverage units and stuff like that. But then move Sallach and hire Ray Guy to coach the kickers themselves.

Everyone wants Favre to be a part of MSU, but Ray Guy is the USM grad we really want. He was a K/P/KO guy in college and he runs the Manning Passing Academy for kickers. He could bring that to Starkville and it would be huge for us.

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Don't forget the Women's Soccer Team when it comes to try-outs. If she can nail it from 35 yards we can use her.

Pagan, just pagan.**

Having a girl might motivate our other kickers to actually do better as well.

Pollodawg
08-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Furthermore, if these offensive stats are correct, then I don't think it's that bad at all. Especially if we believe that we have one of the best defenses in the SEC and this is their first scrimmage.

If we scored 7 TD in 160 plays, that equals 0.306 points per play. If you multiply 0.306 points per play by the normal 70 plays per game, that = 21.4 points after extra points.

Then, toss in the fact that Paul Jones said this morning that our field goal kickers missed the first 3 FGs and made the last 5. That means that we scored an additional 15 points, if these FGs were within the run of play, and left another 9 points on the field.

7 TDs in 160 plays, may seem pedestrian when you don't break it down or don't know the context in which the points were scored. However, after breaking it down, I am pretty impressed if our offense actually accomplished this in their first scrimmage against an elite defense.

I thought about that after I typed it. It sounds pretty "meh" until you break it down and actually look at it.

RougeDawg
08-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Are kicking woes a surprise to anyone on here? Seriously? Like I said before, Dan likes to tinker with kickers mechanics when they can make FG's the way they were before. He tries to fix things that aren't broken when it comes to our FG kicking. He completely screwed up Brauchle's technique when he was lights out in JUCO. Dan tried to change too many things at one time and Sean couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat afterward.

Last year I thought we should make every possession 4 down territory once we got inside an opponents 30-35 yard line depending on yardage for 1st down. I honestly believe our chances of scoring points that way are higher than if we attempt FGs. If we turned over on downs it wouldn't be much different than punting into endzone. I know the critics would crucify dan if he went this route but our offense should be able to pound out a couple yards if needed on multiple 4th down situations. Id rather turn over on downs 50% of the time inside their 30 than risk a 35% or so FG kicker.

War Machine Dawg
08-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Are kicking woes a surprise to anyone on here? Seriously? Like I said before, Dan likes to tinker with kickers mechanics when they can make FG's the way they were before. He tries to fix things that aren't broken when it comes to our FG kicking. He completely screwed up Brauchle's technique when he was lights out in JUCO. Dan tried to change too many things at one time and Sean couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat afterward.

Last year I thought we should make every possession 4 down territory once we got inside an opponents 30-35 yard line depending on yardage for 1st down. I honestly believe our chances of scoring points that way are higher than if we attempt FGs. If we turned over on downs it wouldn't be much different than punting into endzone. I know the critics would crucify dan if he went this route but our offense should be able to pound out a couple yards if needed on multiple 4th down situations. Id rather turn over on downs 50% of the time inside their 30 than risk a 35% or so FG kicker.

No one's surprised. We're pissed. Big difference.

thunderclap
08-11-2014, 09:00 PM
ST is the only reason I can't get crazy excited about a big year. Gotta AT LEAST break even on ST and I can't see it happening.

RougeDawg
08-11-2014, 09:29 PM
No one's surprised. We're pissed. Big difference.

That's what I was hinting. Why are people pissed? This is the norm and what we see each year. The only thing that might send me on my way to see Elizabeth is if we were actually decent in FG kicking.

Barking 13
08-11-2014, 09:39 PM

Me too... it's called time of possession...

hacker
08-12-2014, 01:27 AM
I thought I read something the other day that Sobiesk missed one after he had made like 30 FGs in a row.

I know that's different from a game setting, but I thought that was good news.

There's no way that all 3 of these ****ers have issues with nerves during games. It doesn't matter who coaches them, it essentially comes down to nerves during the games.

Todd4State
08-12-2014, 01:57 AM

It's embarrassing on a Croom level when they show the green line for our FG kicking range and it's the 21 yard line. We aren't even in FG range until we get to the red zone.

I agree that we probably should go for it on fourth down a lot even though it isn't conventional. The exceptions to me would be if it's like 4th and real long or if it's an end of game situation where we are down by three or less and we don't really have time to go for it and win. If it's 4th and long and we're in the opponents 35, the odds of us making a FG and getting the first down are probably about the same, which is scary.

Todd4State
08-12-2014, 02:04 AM
I thought I read something the other day that Sobiesk missed one after he had made like 30 FGs in a row.

I know that's different from a game setting, but I thought that was good news.

There's no way that all 3 of these ****ers have issues with nerves during games. It doesn't matter who coaches them, it essentially comes down to nerves during the games.

I think all kickers are probably head cases. The irony about kickers to me is they have probably the most pressure filled job on the football team outside of QB even though they are village nerd of the football team.

You just can't simulate game type pressure in practice. That's why Devon Bell can look like Morten Andersen in a closed practice and then look like John Michael Marlin in a game. That's what kind of blows my mind a little bit about Dan's "well, they look good in practice" comment. It's like he doesn't get that it's different.

Right now we have 4-5 kickers that I am aware of: Bell, Sobiesk, Graves, McGrath, and then maybe the guy that was the kicker for Tupelo last year who I have no idea if he went out for the team or not. Reed Bigham? The first three games, we need to figure out which one of these guys can do it in a game. Odds are one of the five are going to be able to do it. But Dan needs to give them a chance and a short leash.

Todd4State
08-12-2014, 02:12 AM
ST is the only reason I can't get crazy excited about a big year. Gotta AT LEAST break even on ST and I can't see it happening.

Some of the problem has been the coverage and punt/FG units missing blocking assignments. If Knox can straighten that out, it will help tremendously. The talent at kicker is a huge question mark and I don't think Knox can do anything about that, but if we can not be so sloppy as a whole I think we will be OK.

We lost the A&M game in large part because of a blocked punt (dropped) and the only TD given up in the Egg Bowl was a blocked punt as well. Last year was the first time in awhile that we didn't give up a TD return to an opponent the whole year. The extra point in the Liberty Bowl was off of a bad snap.

At the very least, I'm glad we aren't trusting ST to a grad assistant. Mississippi Valley State had a ST coach last year. We didn't. That's pitiful.

War Machine Dawg
08-12-2014, 02:13 AM
I think all kickers are probably head cases. The irony about kickers to me is they have probably the most pressure filled job on the football team outside of QB even though they are village nerd of the football team.

You just can't simulate game type pressure in practice. That's why Devon Bell can look like Morten Andersen in a closed practice and then look like John Michael Marlin in a game. That's what kind of blows my mind a little bit about Dan's "well, they look good in practice" comment. It's like he doesn't get that it's different.

Right now we have 4-5 kickers that I am aware of: Bell, Sobiesk, Graves, McGrath, and then maybe the guy that was the kicker for Tupelo last year who I have no idea if he went out for the team or not. Reed Bigham? The first three games, we need to figure out which one of these guys can do it in a game. Odds are one of the five are going to be able to do it. But Dan needs to give them a chance and a short leash.

You can scratch Bell. He's focusing on punting full time. Didn't even attempt a FG in the M&W Game in the spring. The competition is between Sobiesk, McGrath, and Bell. And I'm going to be real honest, if someone not named Sobiesk isn't our kicker early in the season, I'm going to be pissed. Sobiesk was as bad as Bell last season and had a weaker leg. We just gotta hope someone can get it through Mullen's thick skull that it's what these guys do in games that matter, not practice.

Todd4State
08-12-2014, 02:41 AM
You can scratch Bell. He's focusing on punting full time. Didn't even attempt a FG in the M&W Game in the spring. The competition is between Sobiesk, McGrath, and Bell. And I'm going to be real honest, if someone not named Sobiesk isn't our kicker early in the season, I'm going to be pissed. Sobiesk was as bad as Bell last season and had a weaker leg. We just gotta hope someone can get it through Mullen's thick skull that it's what these guys do in games that matter, not practice.

I think the plan is for Bell to do the punting and KO at this time for sure, and I think Dan is hoping one of the other four guys steps up- but I don't think we can totally scratch Bell at this point. Just because it's not outside the realm of possibility that none of the other four can do the job. It's not the ideal thing for the coaching staff, but if it comes down to it, they'll give Bell a chance before they do open tryouts for soccer players and halftime pass, punt, kick contestants.

I'll be honest- I wouldn't be shocked if it's the guy from Tupelo that no one is talking about. As you said Sobiesk has very limited range to put it nicely. I've seen Graves kick in high school and he didn't exactly blow me away. There's a reason why McGrath isn't at Michigan anymore. Which is more than likely because he couldn't beat out whomever their kicker is. And from multiple accounts, they are going to avoid using Bell at kicker at all costs.

sandwolf
08-12-2014, 03:02 AM
We lost the A&M game in large part because of a blocked punt (dropped) and the only TD given up in the Egg Bowl was a blocked punt as well.

I believe there was also a dropped punt against Kentucky that resulted in a safety.

Dog316
08-12-2014, 06:52 AM
What we really need is a new field goal training facility. Could use it for extra point training too. But even if we got one, some would want to fire the head coach before he ever got the chance to use it.

tcdog70
08-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Another problem, IMO, is Dak holding. We need someone who is not a starter to hold . A good hold is just as crucial as the kick. I believe that a JUCO kicker would give you a proven kicker. Two years of game time kicks and you would already know if He can Kick.Bringing a Kicker out of HS is a gamble. For MSU to go to the next level or Special Teams Must be SPECIAL. At least 3-4 games this year will be won or lost by the Special Teams. There is no reason to have a blocked Punt-- blocked Punts are a result of shitty coaching.

Bubb Rubb
08-12-2014, 10:08 AM
If the kickers suck this year, what we need to do is keep Knox and let him do the ST "scheming"- like coverage units and stuff like that. But then move Sallach and hire Ray Guy to coach the kickers themselves.

Everyone wants Favre to be a part of MSU, but Ray Guy is the USM grad we really want. He was a K/P/KO guy in college and he runs the Manning Passing Academy for kickers. He could bring that to Starkville and it would be huge for us.

Do you think Ray Guy would even want to do that? He's a hall of fame kicker, probably retired and enjoying life. I think getting into coaching is the last thing he'd want to do.

thf24
08-12-2014, 10:19 AM
I caught a little of Guy being interviewed during the Hall of Fame game Sunday before last, and he sounded like he's checked out. I'm not sure he'd do us a lot of good coaching even if he wanted to.

Coach34
08-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I seriously doubt Dakota is holding this year

Coach34
08-12-2014, 11:18 AM
My Dad always looked to make WR's the holder- as he said- "these guys catch the ball more than anyone- they should be able to hold well also". Always thought it was interesting you don't see many WR's as holders

thf24
08-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Robbie just put up an interview with Mullen in which Mullen says that the kickers' issues were due to bad snaps. I know that isn't exactly comforting, but at least the kickers themselves may not be struggling as much as it originally sounded.

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/QA-Dan-Mullen-breaks-down-recent-practices-as-season-looms-30251623

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2014, 02:32 PM
I actually like Dak holding. It provides for some interesting run/pass fakes that could actually make where we don't have to kick the ball. The less we have to kick, the better.

MadisonDawg
08-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Robbie just put up an interview with Mullen in which Mullen says that the kickers' issues were due to bad snaps. I know that isn't exactly comforting, but at least the kickers themselves may not be struggling as much as it originally sounded.

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/QA-Dan-Mullen-breaks-down-recent-practices-as-season-looms-30251623

Wasn't this the problem a couple times last year?