PDA

View Full Version : Inside Scoop

NeshobaChuck
08-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Word is that there will be a player receiving his scholarship back and rejoining the team after tomorrow. If he does I really hope he's got his act together off the field. Talked to a friend who just got off the phone with him and he said "Man judging by his voice on the phone he sounds like a totally different person". Maybe he's gotten everything together.

BeardoMSU
08-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Word is that there will be a player receiving his scholarship back and rejoining the team after tomorrow. If he does I really hope he's got his act together off the field. Talked to a friend who just got off the phone with him and he said "Man judging by his voice on the phone he sounds like a totally different person". Maybe he's gotten everything together.

And who is this person? Does his name rhyme with May Plevens?

NeshobaChuck
08-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Yes it actually does haha

SDDawg
08-10-2014, 09:58 PM
If that happens.... WOW!!!

missouridawg
08-10-2014, 09:58 PM
We should only take him if we get to count it in recruiting /olemisstextoff

BeardoMSU
08-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Yes it actually does haha

17ity, 17, 17!!!! I was being totally sarcastic. Wow, I'm totally stoked at this possibility.

CadaverDawg
08-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Holy smokes, this would be tremendous news

NeshobaChuck
08-10-2014, 10:06 PM
This DL is already sick. Add him back it will be unstoppable IMO. And if he does come back I would honestly move jones back to DE

engie
08-10-2014, 10:10 PM
He comes back now, I'd think it's almost a foregone conclusion he has to take a RS this year... Would be awesome to have him back though...

DudyDawg
08-10-2014, 10:11 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Both with him coming back and him actually doing anything if he did come back. If he does come back, hope he is different

Coach34
08-10-2014, 10:12 PM
He comes back now, I'd think it's almost a foregone conclusion he has to take a RS this year... Would be awesome to have him back though...

Unless he made his grades- he stayed in school at State until May from what I understand

JDog13
08-10-2014, 10:14 PM

Didn't he redshirt last year? I swore David Turner redshirted Quay and James to give them a chance to get their act together.

Boston
08-10-2014, 10:16 PM
He played last year, not a lot though.

thf24
08-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Didn't he redshirt last year? I swore David Turner redshirted Quay and James to give them a chance to get their act together.

Nope, just Nick. Quay played a little early in the season.

sandwolf
08-10-2014, 10:17 PM

Agreed. Even if he is eligible, I would be really surprised to see the coaching staff play him any this year. I think it would take him a year just to get back into their good graces.

CadaverDawg
08-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Yea, if true, my guess is he redshirts and then has his Junior and Senior year of eligibility after that.

If James and Evans somehow really put it together, we could have Jones, James, Evans, Adams, Jefferson, etc in the same classification going forward. Our D-Line is going to be stud-filled for years to come. Big Cory, Fletcher Adams hopefully, Will Coleman, etc, etc, etc

Smitty
08-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Must have caught a rerun of the Marcus Dupree story. Awesome news if he can get back and into beast mode.

JDog13
08-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Ah, yeah he'll probably redshirt then.

SDDawg
08-10-2014, 10:35 PM
It's probably not worth getting worked up over, but this is really interesting news. Especially considering some of our need areas in recruiting over the next couple of years. When will we know for sure that he's back on the ranch?

Bothrops
08-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Hope this is true, he's got the ability

Westdawg
08-10-2014, 10:39 PM
I hope it is true, but won't believe it until I see it confirmed

MarketingBully01
08-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Unless he made his grades- he stayed in school at State until May from what I understand

I didn't think grades were ever an issue with Quay.

messageboardsuperhero
08-10-2014, 11:03 PM
I'd love to have Quay back if he has his head on straight, but only if he has his heart in it and isn't a negative influence on others. Quay's desire was always his only issue- he's really an extremely talented, intelligent player and person.

Hopefully his time away from the game has reignited that fire.

SDDawg
08-10-2014, 11:08 PM
I've never met Quay and don't know any of the folks close to him, but I've always heard/read that Quay was smart and talented but simply not motivated. Many people last year said he'd completely lost his energy and interest in football. If he has somehow found that again, that would be amazing. Maybe being out of spring practice and summer camp has his wheels turning, apparently he never made it to West Georgia...

CadaverDawg
08-10-2014, 11:08 PM
I'd love to have Quay back if he has his head on straight, but only if he has his heart in it and isn't a negative influence on others. Quay's desire was always his only issue- he's really an extremely talented, intelligent player and person.

Hopefully his time away from the game has reignited that fire.

I have to believe that for this to even be an option, Mullen has met with him and there is a full understanding of where is head and heart are right now in regards to football. I highly highly doubt that Mullen would even consider it unless he knew exactly what he was getting in Quay this time around.

It's too bad James and Evans are taking so long to figure it out. We could have a DL this year that consisted of the following if they had done it sooner...

DE Chris Jones
DT Nick James
DT Quay Evans
DE Preston Smith

Now, I'm just hoping we can get at least 1 productive season out of 1 of them. (James, Evans)

BeardoMSU
08-10-2014, 11:23 PM
I have to believe that for this to even be an option, Mullen has met with him and there is a full understanding of where is head and heart are right now in regards to football. I highly highly doubt that Mullen would even consider it unless he knew exactly what he was getting in Quay this time around.

It's too bad James and Evans are taking so long to figure it out. We could have a DL this year that consisted of the following if they had done it sooner...

DE Chris Jones
DT Nick James
DT Quay Evans
DE Preston Smith

Now, I'm just hoping we can get at least 1 productive season out of 1 of them. (James, Evans)

Yeah, no shit. Well said, Cadaver.

When we signed the two of them, both 5 star DT's, to think that neither would have panned out by now would have been crazy to consider. It seems that James is moving in the right direction, and if this is true about Quay, then I'm really looking forward to the two of them wreaking havoc on opposing SEC OL's.

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 12:01 AM
We just need to be patient with them. And by patient I mean fans, coaches, and even themselves. They're both two guys that were all world in high school because they were more gifted than anyone else on the field and then they got caught up in the recruiting star game.

At least Nick James has stayed around and he is working even if it isn't where he "needs" to be all the time in practice. He's not quitting and that's a good thing.

And with Quay, maybe this will turn him around in the long run, although like others have said if he comes back, I expect him to redshirt.

The thing about it is assuming Quay indeed redshirts, both will still have two seasons after this year to do something and make an impact. I would be willing to bet that the majority of college football players don't make an impact until they are juniors anyway even though there are a lot of exceptions obviously. My point is they are still relatively young players at this point with plenty of time still to do something.

starkvegasdawg
08-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Man I hope this is true. Like others, all I had ever heard about Quay was that he was the most polite person you could ever meet and made excellent grades. He just got burned out on football. We all get burned out in our jobs. And make no mistake, football is their job. If his time away rekindled that fire them kudos to Mullen for giving him another chance. If true, and he comes back full of piss and vinegar then he'll end up on an nfl roster in three years living the dream.

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 12:33 AM

DE Chris Jones
DT Nick James
DT Quay Evans
DE Preston Smith

I would be very happy with this DL next year.

DE- Chris Jones
DT- Quay
DT- Nick James
DE- Jonathan Calvin/AJ Jefferson

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Man I hope this is true. Like others, all I had ever heard about Quay was that he was the most polite person you could ever meet and made excellent grades. He just got burned out on football. We all get burned out in our jobs. And make no mistake, football is their job. If his time away rekindled that fire them kudos to Mullen for giving him another chance. If true, and he comes back full of piss and vinegar then he'll end up on an nfl roster in three years living the dream.

I'm sure it's frustrating too when you're a guy in high school and everything comes really easy and then it gets more difficult for everyone at the next level. I'm talking about football players in general.

BankerDog
08-11-2014, 12:44 AM
Quay never left campus when it was announced he was transferring. A lot of people told me this was the norm, i just did not think it was true. I do know Quay Evans was a lot smarter then people have given him credit for and I do know he never made it to West Georgia. I will see what I can find out tomorrow and let the board know.

CJDAWG85
08-11-2014, 12:55 AM
I saw him with a bunch of the players a few weeks ago walking around the Cotton District. They said they were trying to get him back on the team. He seemed very determined to rejoin the team. Love the bond this team has.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2014, 12:57 AM
I think Quay has some Ricky Williams in him. Not sure if you guys remember that whole story, but it seems as if there may be some similar psychological characteristics.

RougeDawg
08-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Good to hear, if true. For his sake I hope he has it together.

One thing most of us forget is, these highly rated guys rarely faced adversity throughout high-school. They have been pandered to their entire careers prior to college. One unknown thing during recruiting, is how these players will deal with adversity and not having success come so easily. Sometimes it takes a while for the light to turn on. I know most of you on here are Braves fans. I'm not a Braves fan but a baseball fan and the Evan Gattis story should be enough for most of you to see that it sometimes takes being away from the sport, to change a players attitude toward the sport they are gifted at.

BTW I now pull for Braves more than usual after learning about their players and their life struggles.

Todd4State
08-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Quay never left campus when it was announced he was transferring. A lot of people told me this was the norm, i just did not think it was true. I do know Quay Evans was a lot smarter then people have given him credit for and I do know he never made it to West Georgia. I will see what I can find out tomorrow and let the board know.

When I heard he wasn't going to be on the team, but was still on campus going to school, I assumed that he would just be a student. I was a little surprised myself to hear that he was going to play football after all at West Georgia.

I just assumed at that time that maybe he really wanted to play football, but maybe felt like the bridges were burned and couldn't come back.

Political Hack
08-11-2014, 07:13 AM
I think Quay has some Ricky Williams in him. Not sure if you guys remember that whole story, but it seems as if there may be some similar psychological characteristics.

there's nothing wrong with Quays brain or physcy. He smart and pretty damn well balanced emotionally for a DT... he's just got to reconfigure his priorities. It really is that simple with him IMO.

archdog
08-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Put 5 stars on us again. Using this like Singleton

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 08:14 AM
I would be very happy with this DL next year.

DE- Chris Jones
DT- Quay
DT- Nick James
DE- Jonathan Calvin/AJ Jefferson

Agree. And don't forget Ryan Brown, Will Coleman, Big Cory, Nelson Adams, etc, that will be fighting for a spot next year. Competition breeds excellence, and we have some serious talent competing on that D Line. I've heard rumblings that Big Cory Thomas could find his way into a rotation this season if he keeps up his early progress. He is one freshman that I hope we do not redshirt, because we lose a few DT's this year and don't know what we're gonna get from James or Evans in e coming seasons. I'd like to have so,done with experience that could jump in to Eulls spot next year if needed. Cory could be that guy

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 08:17 AM
there's nothing wrong with Quays brain or physcy. He smart and pretty damn well balanced emotionally for a DT... he's just got to reconfigure his priorities. It really is that simple with him IMO.

Hack, would you agree that the question now becomes....Can David Turner conform enough for these 2 to get back on an even playing field and have an actual chance to compete for playing time? I really like Turner, but I worry that he will demand so much more from these 2 guys than anybody else, that it may still be hard for them to ever see the field. I hope he proves me wrong and he's just trying to awaken the beasts inside these big fellas.

Political Hack
08-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Hack, would you agree that the question now becomes....Can David Turner conform enough for these 2 to get back on an even playing field and have an actual chance to compete for playing time? I really like Turner, but I worry that he will demand so much more from these 2 guys than anybody else, that it may still be hard for them to ever see the field. I hope he proves me wrong and he's just trying to awaken the beasts inside these big fellas.

there's going to be some of that, but I see the situations very differently. Quay's issues have been off the field and on the field, dedication to working hard in the offseason, weight room, going full out 100% every snap during practice, letting go of things and people that are holding him back, etc... Nick's issues have been academic, remaining level headed, and coping with the fact that dominating every one across from him isn't enough at this level.

To me, you can work with nick's issues pretty easily and with just a little understanding. Quay's has to come from within. One of them loves football more than life. The other needed time away to understand that he loves football. Quay's gotta fix Quay, but the good news is he's smart enough to do that.

justwin
08-11-2014, 09:24 AM
The coaches need to play him. It's really that simple.

The kid enrolled early and there were at least 2 reports (one each from the fall & spring of his 1st year) where he was in great shape. Now, everyone on here is saying he's a smart guy making the grades. Then, the season rolls around and he barely plays...what gives, coaches? Yeah, I know about "earning" time, etc, but some kids stay motivated by getting to play on Saturdays when the lights come on. He enrolled early and did the whole offseason workout, etc. It just doesn't seem that much to ask for the coaches to play the kid ~15 snaps / game to keep him engaged. Otherwise, you end up running off great talent b/c he's not some insane practice warrior.

Play the kid.

DapperDawg
08-11-2014, 09:46 AM
On Out of Bounds this morning, Paul Jones said that he has heard this rumor, but didn't know if there's any truth to it. He said he does know that if it's true, he'll have to walk-on because they are completely scholarship full. I hope it works out for Evans, but I'm not getting excited until I hear something more official. And like others have said, if true he won't see the field this season.

Maybe, Dan can rip a page from Freeze's playbook and play him as the goal line short-yardage back.***

FISHDAWG
08-11-2014, 09:56 AM
The coaches need to play him. It's really that simple.

The kid enrolled early and there were at least 2 reports (one each from the fall & spring of his 1st year) where he was in great shape. Now, everyone on here is saying he's a smart guy making the grades. Then, the season rolls around and he barely plays...what gives, coaches? Yeah, I know about "earning" time, etc, but some kids stay motivated by getting to play on Saturdays when the lights come on. He enrolled early and did the whole offseason workout, etc. It just doesn't seem that much to ask for the coaches to play the kid ~15 snaps / game to keep him engaged. Otherwise, you end up running off great talent b/c he's not some insane practice warrior.

Play the kid.

This is only speculation on my part but if I were him, I would have a hard time understanding why I was playing BEHIND Cherrington .... I never understood staying with Cherrington at that position ..... fire away while I duck back into my foxhole .... (btw, yes I know he's on the Seattle practice squad)

thedawg
08-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Well if u start playing assholes because they are talented it won't take long to lose the team and have a bunch of assholes... He has to conform to play... I'm sorry u guys feel cheated because he was a five star on the Internet but it's entirely up to him when he plays.. He's certainly talented enough

NeshobaChuck
08-11-2014, 10:01 AM
I was told he was meeting with people today in Leo building to get things ironed out so might know something later on this afternoon

mic
08-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Well if u start playing assholes because they are talented it won't take long to lose the team and have a bunch of assholes... He has to conform to play... I'm sorry u guys feel cheated because he was a five star on the Internet but it's entirely up to him when he plays.. He's certainly talented enough

Exactly .. Just because he was suppose to be a stud out of high school doesn't mean squat in the SEC.. I'm sure there are many factors that went into the lack of playing time he got and why he was asked to leave the program or quit..
Hopefully the light has come on and if the coaches give him a shot hopefully he can contribute this year... Anything from him would be a bonus to an already very deep and good DL...

BeastMan
08-11-2014, 10:47 AM
I was told he was meeting with people today in Leo building to get things ironed out so might know something later on this afternoon

You know what's going on here

justwin
08-11-2014, 10:49 AM
I understand, but this thought is missing the huge fact that he put in the time and did what was asked of him. Yes, he's talented, but he also put in the work in the offseasons, etc like I mentioned. Yes, he was the #1 rated DT in the country..not MS, not the Southeast, the entire country. That in and of itself should merit SOME playing time especially for a guy who enrolled early.

It's like we hold our highly rated guys to a different standard.

It's not entirely up to him when he plays. It's on the coaches when he plays..it always will be on the coaches when he or any player plays.

justwin
08-11-2014, 10:51 AM
exactly. It seemed that Cherrington got a MAJORITY of the reps. I'm fine with some split of time between them, but you have to play Quay in some capacity.

Also, Wilson leaving after the only year he was here with Quay didn't help. Quay came to MSU b/c of Wilson.

This is only speculation on my part but if I were him, I would have a hard time understanding why I was playing BEHIND Cherrington .... I never understood staying with Cherrington at that position ..... fire away while I duck back into my foxhole .... (btw, yes I know he's on the Seattle practice squad)

sandwolf
08-11-2014, 11:11 AM
I understand, but this thought is missing the huge fact that he put in the time and did what was asked of him.

I don't know anything about his work ethic, so I won't comment on how much time he put in or how hard he practiced.....but the one thing that I do know is that he clearly did not do what was asked of him. If he had, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Keep us posted, Neshoba. You seem to know more than anybody about this subject.

bobcat91
08-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Quay has no respect for and hates Turner. He loved Wilson. Quay is lazy and gives halfass effort and should never be rewarded for that. We really need to move on because he isn't going to change and we don't need one player who refuses to buy in to ruin team chemistry. There are plenty of guys like him that are in DIII because they had great talent and a terrible work ethic.

maroonmania
08-11-2014, 11:41 AM
I am a little leary of Evans coming back myself. A player with a bad attitude (as we saw with Sidney) can and does affect the team. It was my understanding that a lot of Nick James' attitude problems were from rooming with and hanging out with Quay. You can go through all that's asked and still have a piss poor attitude about it. I hope our coaches are very cautious with this and get some concrete assurance that things have changed a great deal with him before bringing him back.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Quay has no respect for and hates Turner. He loved Wilson. Quay is lazy and gives halfass effort and should never be rewarded for that. We really need to move on because he isn't going to change and we don't need one player who refuses to buy in to ruin team chemistry. There are plenty of guys like him that are in DIII because they had great talent and a terrible work ethic.

Again, I doubt he would be allowed back without a drastic show of change. I trust Mullen and Turner to make the best decision. People can change...especially when they realize what they've lost

bobcat91
08-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Again, I doubt he would be allowed back without a drastic show of change. I trust Mullen and Turner to make the best decision. People can change...especially when they realize what they've lost

I know his relatives. He hasn't changed a bit. We need to move on. JMHO

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2014, 11:51 AM

THIS

If I'm Mullen, Quay must show an extreme change of heart to get back on the team, and then, if is allowed back on the team, he needs to have a leash about short as Cadaver's wheiner.

BeardoMSU
08-11-2014, 12:00 PM
he needs to have a leash about short as Cadaver's wheiner.

That's no leash; that's a conjoined twin.

sandwolf
08-11-2014, 12:04 PM
I know his relatives. He hasn't changed a bit. We need to move on. JMHO

So have his relatives told you that he hasn't changed?

sandwolf
08-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Steve's response to a question about the validity of the rumor:

Just told by a football staffer that they are unaware of any comeback by Quay.

We'll see what happens, but as of today any movement is of the unofficial variety.

Bothrops
08-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Apparently, what we need is some change we can believe in.

maroonmania
08-11-2014, 12:14 PM

Canned response by the coaching staff. They said the same thing when Michael Carr was attempting a come back. I predict Quay's return will be about as successful as Carr's as well.

War Machine Dawg
08-11-2014, 12:14 PM

So it's definitely happening.

Really Clark?
08-11-2014, 12:22 PM

It's not entirely up to him when he plays. It's on the coaches when he plays..it always will be on the coaches when he or any player plays.

Two words....Chris Jones. Highly rated and played a lot as a true freshman. At DT. That kind of negates your argument wouldn't you say? If the player is not or will not do what's asked, then no, they are the reason they are not playing most of the time. Seems this was argued a bunch last year with two particular players and there still seems to be a faction of people that says attitude and heart be damned, I'm playing guys based solely on their potential and recruiting rankings. Give me the best FOOTBALL player that will give effort and working to play with the team. If they have found that in themselves great, sky's the limit with their talent, but it seems the coaches were pretty much spot on last year and the year before with how they handled them.

sandwolf
08-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Canned response by the coaching staff. They said the same thing when Michael Carr was attempting a come back. I predict Quay's return will be about as successful as Carr's as well.

Yea I tend to agree. The staff definitely isn't going to go on record that he may be coming back until it is a sure thing. And if they do give him another shot, I would be pretty surprised if it works out. He will have a hole to climb out of before winning the coaches over and he won't be given any room for error. So, he will basically have to bust his ass and keep his nose completely clean for a full year before he ever gets the opportunity to see the field.....I wouldn't hold my breath.

Boodawg
08-11-2014, 12:29 PM
I was told by a players dad that he was missing a lot of class. Something DM does not tolerate. He was still passing, but just not going.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 12:38 PM
THIS

If I'm Mullen, Quay must show an extreme change of heart to get back on the team, and then, if is allowed back on the team, he needs to have a leash about short as Cadaver's wheiner.

I disagree, no need in giving him that long of a leash if allowed back.

In other news, it Looks like we're about to find out how short Your leash is.**

justwin
08-11-2014, 01:23 PM
No, it doesn't. Chris Jones was not a highly recruited player until 2 months until signing day so he fits very much with the staff preaches. Quay was rated the #1 DT in the country his junior year of HS. Two completely different scenarios. In Quay's scenario, he enrolled early and went through the spring/summer where numerous reports were saying he was in incredible shape, etc so how is that not doing what's asked of you? Yes, there must have been a flare up that sent him to the doghouse at some point during his freshman season that he didn't recover from, but it's documented that he did do what coaches were asking of him or how else would've he gotten in good shape, etc? So, my point is that playing Quay a little more in year 1, before & after the flare up, could've prevented his exodus & continued to inspire to reach his potential as you elude to.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a Sidney case & I'm not condoning playing turds for the sake of ratings. I'm just saying that it seemed that in this particular situation that Quay had done what was asked as a FOOTBALL player, but not rewarded with PT.

Two words....Chris Jones. Highly rated and played a lot as a true freshman. At DT. That kind of negates your argument wouldn't you say? If the player is not or will not do what's asked, then no, they are the reason they are not playing most of the time. Seems this was argued a bunch last year with two particular players and there still seems to be a faction of people that says attitude and heart be damned, I'm playing guys based solely on their potential and recruiting rankings. Give me the best FOOTBALL player that will give effort and working to play with the team. If they have found that in themselves great, sky's the limit with their talent, but it seems the coaches were pretty much spot on last year and the year before with how they handled them.

FISHDAWG
08-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Exactly .. Just because he was suppose to be a stud out of high school doesn't mean squat in the SEC.. I'm sure there are many factors that went into the lack of playing time he got and why he was asked to leave the program or quit..
Hopefully the light has come on and if the coaches give him a shot hopefully he can contribute this year... Anything from him would be a bonus to an already very deep and good DL...

you're right, but the guy did get some playing time and he played WELL when he was in there ... I saw it for myself, the guy can play - can't speak to any off field issues but make no mistake - he IS talented enough to compete

shoeless joe
08-11-2014, 01:36 PM
I understand, but this thought is missing the huge fact that he put in the time and did what was asked of him. Yes, he's talented, but he also put in the work in the offseasons, etc like I mentioned. Yes, he was the #1 rated DT in the country..not MS, not the Southeast, the entire country. That in and of itself should merit SOME playing time especially for a guy who enrolled early.

This is entirely the wrong approach if wanting to build a consistent, long term, championship type program. You basically just outlined the Umiss approach.

Really Clark?
08-11-2014, 01:46 PM
No, it doesn't. Chris Jones was not a highly recruited player until 2 months until signing day so he fits very much with the staff preaches. Quay was rated the #1 DT in the country his junior year of HS. Two completely different scenarios. In Quay's scenario, he enrolled early and went through the spring/summer where numerous reports were saying he was in incredible shape, etc so how is that not doing what's asked of you? Yes, there must have been a flare up that sent him to the doghouse at some point during his freshman season that he didn't recover from, but it's documented that he did do what coaches were asking of him or how else would've he gotten in good shape, etc? So, my point is that playing Quay a little more in year 1, before & after the flare up, could've prevented his exodus & continued to inspire to reach his potential as you elude to.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a Sidney case & I'm not condoning playing turds for the sake of ratings. I'm just saying that it seemed that in this particular situation that Quay had done what was asked as a FOOTBALL player, but not rewarded with PT.

How does a player being in shape and being ranked high for a longer period of time equate to him being a football player? Not to mention the student athlete part of the equation. He did not do all that was asked of him as evident by his limited playing time. Missing assignments on the field, missing class, bad attitude at times, lack of effort at times, etc. No one disputes he is talented but he is not a football player yet. And looking at the Chris Jones example again, he didn't go through spring and had more playing time and even more important a much bigger impact. Doesn't that condemn your example more? Quay had a much bigger advantage by going through spring ball and was limited. You are looking at this in reverse.

Johnson85
08-11-2014, 01:49 PM

No. I'm not sure how much Quay should or should not have played, but I do know that how highly he was rated as a recruit should mean nothing. People get misevaluated all the time and it should have no bearing once they get on campus. If a guy can play, the coaches can see that without referring to a recruiting website.

justwin
08-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Joe, we're talking about one particular scenario with Quay. Not the entire program. For the first 9+ months on campus, all reports were saying he was doing exactly what the coaches wanted.

The fundamental difference in my response & Umiss' approach is that he did put in work during the spring & summer.

This is entirely the wrong approach if wanting to build a consistent, long term, championship type program. You basically just outlined the Umiss approach.

justwin
08-11-2014, 02:28 PM
"He did not do all that was asked of him as evident by his limited playing time". This sounds like coaches dictate playing time.

Either way, Quay should've gotten more PT than he did. For the most part, they didn't really play him at all. He may not have deserved to be a starter, but definitely more than he received based on what he did while here.

"No one disputes he is talented but he is not a football player yet" - I think he was enough of a player to merit more PT than he received, but still with work to go.

How does a player being in shape and being ranked high for a longer period of time equate to him being a football player? Not to mention the student athlete part of the equation. He did not do all that was asked of him as evident by his limited playing time. Missing assignments on the field, missing class, bad attitude at times, lack of effort at times, etc. No one disputes he is talented but he is not a football player yet. And looking at the Chris Jones example again, he didn't go through spring and had more playing time and even more important a much bigger impact. Doesn't that condemn your example more? Quay had a much bigger advantage by going through spring ball and was limited. You are looking at this in reverse.

BeastMan
08-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Quay has no respect for and hates Turner. He loved Wilson

This isn't correct fwiw

Alldawg
08-11-2014, 02:53 PM
"He did not do all that was asked of him as evident by his limited playing time". This sounds like coaches dictate playing time.

Either way, Quay should've gotten more PT than he did. For the most part, they didn't really play him at all. He may not have deserved to be a starter, but definitely more than he received based on what he did while here.

"No one disputes he is talented but he is not a football player yet" - I think he was enough of a player to merit more PT than he received, but still with work to go.

This is why coaches are paid top dollar. Some coaches can allow "certain players" more lead way or special treatment. I think someone hit it on the head the other day about James. Each player responds differently to certain coaching styles. It is up to the coaches to determine how to do it. If playing him a few extra plays a game would have eliminated the past problems, play him. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

bobcat91
08-11-2014, 02:54 PM
It is true that he despises Turner. Again I get to talk to his relatives. Do you?

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Quay is that you?

Just curious, is our coach's jobs to win games or cater to 5 star recruits?

The assumption that you are inadvertently making is that you and the recruiting media know more about Quay Evans than our coaches do. Just think about that for a minute.

msstate7
08-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Sorry, I'm lazy today and don't feel like reading the whole thread. Is quay back or not?

Really Clark?
08-11-2014, 03:10 PM

No. That's on the player. The players play in ALL aspects depends on him. You want to play more do what's asked of you, give outstanding effort, learn your assignments, etc. If he had done those things he plays more. I remember in his first season he did some good things, he also missed a bunch of assignments. You do that your play will decrease. That's on the player. It's a sliding scale, when your talent can't overcome your mistakes you don't play. Period. He should've gotten the amount of playing he received and the biggest evidence was there was no meltdown from the fanbase because he could not contribute because he did not do all the things that makes you a player. He has athletic potential but that's pretty much it right now. My word, if he had signed with Bama he would have been processed even faster with the way he went about things.

sandwolf
08-11-2014, 03:27 PM
No, it doesn't. Chris Jones was not a highly recruited player until 2 months until signing day so he fits very much with the staff preaches. Quay was rated the #1 DT in the country his junior year of HS. Two completely different scenarios.

I have no idea why you keep making reference to what Evans was ranked as a junior, but Chris Jones was rated substantially higher than Quay Evans by every single recruiting service on signing day. And what do you mean when you say Jones fits what the staff preaches? If you are trying to say that he just committed, kept a low profile and didn't have a bunch of hype surrounding him, then you clearly did not follow his recruitment because it was infinitely more dramatic than Quay's was. The bottom line is that their are numerous examples of highly rated recruits coming in and immediately getting playing time because they were ready and they handled their shit (Chris Jones, Chad Bumphis, Fletcher Cox, Fred Ross, and Ashton Shumpert come to mind), and it is completely ridiculous to suggest that the staff discriminates against those guys.

In Quay's scenario, he enrolled early and went through the spring/summer where numerous reports were saying he was in incredible shape, etc so how is that not doing what's asked of you? Yes, there must have been a flare up that sent him to the doghouse at some point during his freshman season that he didn't recover from, but it's documented that he did do what coaches were asking of him or how else would've he gotten in good shape, etc? So, my point is that playing Quay a little more in year 1, before & after the flare up, could've prevented his exodus & continued to inspire to reach his potential as you elude to.

College football players are required to do more than just work out and be in shape......they are also required to take care of their shit off of the field. They have to go to class, make their grades, submit to and pass drug tests, etc. And when you have 105 players to keep in check, you can not make exceptions for anyone. If the policy is that the players attend every single class, then you enforce that policy equally across the board.....the minute that you make an exception for a guy because he was rated a 5 star in high school and has a lot of talent is the minute that the other players start losing respect for you and start viewing the rules as guidelines.

BeastMan
08-11-2014, 03:38 PM
It is true that he despises Turner. Again I get to talk to his relatives. Do you?

Check we're we chat b/c I'm not doing this on a public board

BankerDog
08-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Don't get your hopes up on this boys. Talk to some guys today who would really know and when I asked his response..."Quay ain't doin nothin."

msstate7
08-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Don't get your hopes up on this boys. Talk to some guys today who would really know and when I asked his response..."Quay ain't doin nothin."
OM bound?**

KB21
08-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Here's the thing with Quay. The guy has NFL ability, but he doesn't give a 100th of the effort day in and day out that Nelson Adams gives. He's much more talented than Nelson Adams, but Nelson gets the most out of his ability due to his effort and work ethic. If Quay had half the work ethic of Nelson Adams, he'd be All SEC. Sometimes, it takes not having something to get your head on straight.

Steakonastick
08-11-2014, 08:12 PM
If take him back but under these conditions.

1. You apologize to your teammates for quiting.
2 You will redshirt
3. You will be the badest sob on the scout take and make our offense better every day.
4. You will be a model student athlete

If you don't like it then you are welcome to be a student at MSU.

You can only baby a player for so long. You can't make somevody grow a pair. I hope he is on the team and turns himself around.

Barking 13
08-11-2014, 09:42 PM
I heard that Scott Westerfield was coming back***

FISHDAWG
08-11-2014, 10:13 PM
I SWEAR SOMEONE NEEDS TO LOCK THIS CRAP