PDA

View Full Version : PGA: Is Rory now the torchbearer for golf?

TheRef
08-10-2014, 07:52 PM
That's a question I would like to pose to the board. With tonight's win at Valhalla for the PGA Championship, he now has won 4 majors and 2 straight. He is the third youngest to win his 4th major. The two above him? Tiger and Jack.

I think he is now definitely on a first-name basis as far as legacy is concerned joining Phil, Tiger, Jack, Arnold, etc in that regard. Easy to say that Rory is the early favorite for Augusta next year.

CadaverDawg
08-10-2014, 07:55 PM
No doubt. Yes.

I would be pissed if I was Fowler though. They shouldn't have let him push them on 18. So I guess it's their (Mick and Rick's) fault for allowing him to. I really like Rory though. That was my favorite 3 players in the final 3, so I enjoyed it. I'm a big Fowler fan.

Dawg61
08-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Rory is good no doubt but he hasn't reached Phil, Tiger status for me just yet. He's on a hot streak no doubt. Less than two years ago though he was throwing temper tantrums and walking off the course blaming toothaches instead of owning he was playing like dogshit. His physical transformation is very impressive not to mention his ability to close out majors now. He once blew a huge lead of like 8 shots all in the final round of a major a few years ago. Dumping that tennis star was the best thing he's ever done for his golf game.

Smitty
08-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Rory is right there with Phil already for accomplishing 4 majors so young. If he takes the Masters in April then he becomes golf like young Tiger became golf. Can be keep Tigers pace? Who knows but he will have the same allure after 5, the Grand Slam, and 3 in a row

Dawgface
08-11-2014, 07:08 AM
Rory has such an advantage with his driving ability. One bomb after another and accurate too. The hurry up trying to play in with Phil and Fowler almost cost him though. He came very close to putting it in the water. He would have been 2nd gussed big time if had done so and bogeyed the last hole.

Rory does appear to be the new Tiger. He can step it up a notch when he needs too. Whether he can keep it going over the next few years.......who knows. Time will tell.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Rory is good no doubt but he hasn't reached Phil, Tiger status for me just yet. He's on a hot streak no doubt. Less than two years ago though he was throwing temper tantrums and walking off the course blaming toothaches instead of owning he was playing like dogshit. His physical transformation is very impressive not to mention his ability to close out majors now. He once blew a huge lead of like 8 shots all in the final round of a major a few years ago. Dumping that tennis star was the best thing he's ever done for his golf game.

Not disagreeing with you, but him blaming a toothache when playing like shit would actually make him even More like Tiger, wouldn't it? Ha. Every time Tiger is getting crushed he starts wincing and then bows out. I really thought Tiger had another run in him, but it appears he is d o n e.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Not disagreeing with you, but him blaming a toothache when playing like shit would actually make him even More like Tiger, wouldn't it? Ha. Every time Tiger is getting crushed he starts wincing and then bows out. I really thought Tiger had another run in him, but it appears he is d o n e.

Well, he is from the UK island area, so the toothache thing is a legitimate claim.

Saltydog
08-11-2014, 08:40 AM
only behind Tiger and Jack Nicklaus. He's the best there is right now and there's just no room for error when playing against him.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Well, he is from the UK island area, so the toothache thing is a legitimate claim.

Haha, true.

I think if it weren't for Rory, we would all be talking about how great Fowler is going to be. He is the first guy since Tiger to finish Top 5 in his first 4 majors, and I guess yesterday makes it 5 straight. I really like Fowler even though he dresses goofy....and I would love to see Fowler and McIlroy have some epic battles on Sundays in the coming years.

You gotta love how the 44 year old Mickelson matched those young guys shot for shot at a high pace in the dark on Sunday though.

jumbo
08-11-2014, 08:52 AM
no doubt about it he is.

as far as the play up issue, that falls on both Phil and Rickie and the rules officials. The final decision is up to the players, not the officials. However it was the officials that were "forcing" the issue

ckDOG
That's a question I would like to pose to the board. With tonight's win at Valhalla for the PGA Championship, he now has won 4 majors and 2 straight. He is the third youngest to win his 4th major. The two above him? Tiger and Jack.

I think he is now definitely on a first-name basis as far as legacy is concerned joining Phil, Tiger, Jack, Arnold, etc in that regard. Easy to say that Rory is the early favorite for Augusta next year.

Absolutely. He's got young Tiger talent. Not as creative around the greens I suppose but the kid can absolutely murder a golf ball and is clutch with the putter. With his length, accuracy, and ball flight, he's not playing the same course the others are.

It seems his relationship issues were a distraction for him not long ago. Will be interesting to see if he keeps focus and doesn't let outside factors affect him as he continues to become more of a brand name.

Saltydog
ever seen in my life over there but she had bad teeth.........They all do......It's a European thing.............Do they not put freaking flouride in the water over there?

Coach34
08-11-2014, 09:00 AM
One thing we know- Jack's record is not going to be broken anytime soon. Not will his top 2 finishes in a major. He will remain the standard

Dawg61
08-11-2014, 09:22 AM

I can't watch Tiger the way he's at right now. His Diva personality is the worst part. He needs to go spend a year in Mogadishu or Somalia or something to remember just how good he's got it.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-11-2014, 09:35 AM
I can't watch Tiger the way he's at right now. His Diva personality is the worst part. He needs to go spend a year in Mogadishu or Somalia or something to remember just how good he's got it.

Isnt Mogadishu in Somalia?

TheRef
08-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Mogadishu (The Mog) is the capital of Somalia.

quickstrike2
08-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Rory is definitely the guy that just has another gear right now. With his ability to bomb 300+ yard drivers, dial in the irons, and make putts, he will make alot of noise. Just seemed to go his way at times yesterday. I thought on 10 he didnt really like the 3 wood shot, but it runs 40 yards on wet ground to 10 feet for eagle. Seemed every bunker he went in, the ball rolled info the middle of it for a great lie. Then on 18 (which seemed like a cluster from tee to green with the groupings) his ball comes to rest on a slope a yard or two away from the water. Now obviously being as good as he is, you create your on luck. When he made that eagle on 10, I never felt like he wouldn't win, he's just that good.

Dawg61
08-11-2014, 11:05 AM

Haha

sleepy dawg
08-11-2014, 01:53 PM

As of right now, Rory is the man. It could all be undone by the end of next year, but as of right now, Rory is THE guy in golf. He is the current "torchbearer".

It's not too late for Tiger or Phil to win it back though.

rabbitthedawg
08-11-2014, 03:20 PM
As a left hander, Mickelson is my favorite, however Rory is unbelievable. That last pitch and run on 18 for Phil that just missed the Eagle was something to behold. Golf yesterday was as good as I have ever seen.

TheRef
08-11-2014, 03:22 PM
As a left hander, Mickelson is my favorite, however Rory is unbelievable. That last pitch and run on 18 for Phil that just missed the Eagle was something to behold. Golf yesterday was as good as I have ever seen.

Oh if he would have hit that runner on the 18 it would have made it interesting for Rory.

Smitty
08-11-2014, 04:34 PM
We do need to be careful before granting someone else Tiger status. Can't be prisoner of the moment Rory is on a good start that mirrors Tigers start but he's years and years away. Don't forget how dominant tiger was. He never missed cuts, NEVER.

50 years from now you will still be lucky to have been around for Tiger. Can't say that for anyone else playing currently yet.

Coach34
08-11-2014, 06:57 PM
50 years from now you will still be lucky to have been around for Tiger. Can't say that for anyone else playing currently yet.

No doubt- Tiger had a helluva run to become the 2nd best golfer ever.

Tiger was very fortunate to come along at a time when golf was at a low point and needed something. He took HGH and lifted weights, changing the sport forever. He was able to dominate because in a sense- golf sucked. Now, even Phil Mickelson is lifting and looking better- he is no longer "bitch tits" Mickelson. There is a very good solid group of young guys on the Tour now playing good golf. That wasnt there when Tiger entered the sport. Tiger was taking down guys like Fuzzy Zoeller- who smoked a half a pack of cigarettes thru 18 holes. There was a reason nobody was shooting a red number with Tiger on Sundays back then- they had no nuts. Today's golfer is much better thanks to weight training and such. Tiger and his HGH brought about a big and much needed change to golf. Thats for sure.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 07:04 PM
No doubt- Tiger had a helluva run to become the 2nd best golfer ever.

Tiger was very fortunate to come along at a time when golf was at a low point and needed something. He took HGH and lifted weights, changing the sport forever. He was able to dominate because in a sense- golf sucked. Now, even Phil Mickelson is lifting and looking better- he is no longer "bitch tits" Mickelson. There is a very good solid group of young guys on the Tour now playing good golf. That wasnt there when Tiger entered the sport. Tiger was taking down guys like Fuzzy Zoeller- who smoked a half a pack of cigarettes thru 18 holes. There was a reason nobody was shooting a red number with Tiger on Sundays back then- they had no nuts. Today's golfer is much better thanks to weight training and such. Tiger and his HGH brought about a big and much needed change to golf. Thats for sure.

http://www.corynikkel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Stirring-a-pot.jpg

Dawg61
08-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Tiger ain't done just yet. He just needs to get truly healthy mentally and physically and he will still beat Jack's record. When he does you will have to change that 2 that you love throwing out so much to a 1. Tiger turned pro in 1997 not 1957. You act like 1997 is 1957 by your comments. He's faced 1,000 other better golfers to compete against than Jack did.

Coach34
08-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Tiger may win another- but he wont even sniff Jack's record

Dawg61
08-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Tiger may win another- but he wont even sniff Jack's record

He's already nose deep. Jack 18 won, Tiger 14 won, Rory 4 won.

Homedawg
08-11-2014, 08:38 PM
He's already nose deep. Jack 18 won, Tiger 14 won, Rory 4 won.

Yep, and in 2008 the stats looked the same. 18-14. He's not catching it with the swing he has now!

Bully13
08-11-2014, 09:03 PM
I think the thing to ask at this point is how many Majors had Jack and Tiger won at the same age as Rory has won at this point. I'm too busy / lazy to look it up at this point. Unless Tiger heals / figures his game out, he ain't gonna win no more majors.. there's just too many young guns that are not afraid of the "Tiger factor" anymore.

Rory is the story right now. the guy is sickenly young to have 4 majors under his belt. it will be interesting to see how the next few years plays out. If he continues on this pace, watch the 17 out.

It also is too soon to put ANYbody in Tiger's category at this point though. What that 17er did in 12.5 years is simply Ruthian.

Coach34
08-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Jack has 18 titles and 19 2nds- the most dominant golfer ever...Jack also competed against some of the best golfers ever...Tiger competed against Greg Norman and David Duval

Tiger has 14 titles and 5 2nds...and none since golf started testing for PED's...Tiger has never come from behind to win a major. He is a great talent no doubt. But he aint Nicklaus

Coach34
08-11-2014, 09:16 PM
It also is too soon to put ANYbody in Tiger's category at this point though. What that 17er did in 12.5 years is simply Ruthian.

Took Jack 14 years to win his 1st 14 majors
Took Tiger 14 years to win his 14 majors

Smitty
08-11-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm just not ready to count Tiger out yet. Old dogs make runs all the time, especially at setups like the British provides. If he can come back against the talent pool thats out there right now and take 2-3 more... I don't think he needs more majors than Jack to be considered the all-time best. I personally think Tigers opponents talent level is just deeper than Jack's, meaning if he gets 2 more he's the GOAT.

Dawgface
08-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Tiger won't stay healthy long enough to win enough majors to catch Jack. And yes, that is the measuring stick for greatness. The big question is........will Tiger ever win another Major? He hasn't won one in 6 years. He's hurt all the time now. Why would anyone think the trend is going to change at this point?

Negative Waves
08-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Tiger's competitor's better than Jack's? Jack faced Watson, Trevino, Player, and Palmer, some of the greatest of all time. Tiger is the second best, but his competition was not near what Jack faced. Watson nearly won the British Open a few years ago! Tiger's competitors consistently choked against him. You could tell they were scared to death of him.

Smitty
08-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Tiger's competitor's better than Jack's? Jack faced Watson, Trevino, Player, and Palmer, some of the greatest of all time. Tiger is the second best, but his competition was not near what Jack faced. Watson nearly won the British Open a few years ago! Tiger's competitors consistently choked against him. You could tell they were scared to death of him.

Depth of the field, margin of error.

War Machine Dawg
08-12-2014, 10:47 PM
You guys can thank me later.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3726607573001/model-is-internet-famous-for-trying-to-catch-mcilroys-eye/?intcmp=HPBucket&playlist_id=930909752001#sp=show-clips