PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss fan's observations from yesterday's scrimmage

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2014, 05:07 PM
If you cut through all the "They are in better shape" over optimistic bullshit, of which he likely has no real clue about, and actually read about the performances, abilities, meat and potatoes, it's rather sobering for them.

First things first. The whole team looks a lot more fit. Guys like Engram and Mathers looked thicker and more solid. Our entire RB, TE, DB, and LB corps looked stout. Thicker in the waists and thighs. Our linemen still looked big as shit, but more toned. Especially the D-Line. CJ Johnson and Haynes looked skinny out there next to the other DL. Everyone just looked to be in damn good shape. I remember in 2011 people talking about how out of shape we looked. This is the first fall practice where I could tell a noticeable difference. Those guys have put in work this off season.

Watched 7-on-7 and QB individual drills a good bit. Bo's footwork and decision making is the best of the 3 quarterbacks. His passes still don't have much velocity, but his timing is great. (I thought Bo had a gun now) Some of the practice reports I'd read had me expecting him to now possess a Favre-esque cannon, but that's not the case. His arm looks stronger than last year, but he's just not a guy with a huge arm. Devante Kincaid has moments of brilliance. He has a great looking and quick release, and throws the ball with great velocity. He has a tendency to pass high though(Uh-oh, that's not good combo). His footwork is decent, but his height causes him to get out of the pocket quicker than the other 2. He's good on the run, so it's ok. He'll be fun to watch. He makes really good decisions with the ball too. I worry he's going to get lit up trying to roll out and make a big play. Buchannon has a solid arm and solid footwork, but his decision making is just not great. If we transition to a little more pro-style offense, I think he could be really good. He stands tall and has a higher release than Bo. He's not ready yet though.(fairly obvious that Buchannon sucks if the this delusional bunch thinks he isn't ready) It seemed apparent to me that Kincaid is a solid # 2 at this point. Kendrick Doss shows promise, but needs to redshirt. None of the QB's looked particularly good in the scrimmage portion.(I thought Bo was a badass)

Our RB corps looks the best it's been in years. Wilkins, Dodson and Mathers all 3 have similar size and seem to be similar players.(So... you still don't have an inside runner?) Wilkins looked the best to me. Quick feet and good vision. He ran the ball well in drills and scrimmage. Mathers feet are deceptively slow in cuts, and then he's off in a flash. I can't tell if it's patience or just his style, but he goes from looking like he's poking around between cones or linemen to 10 yards down the field in about half a second. Dodson looks solid all around and looks very natural catching the ball. Dodson looks to have added 10 pounds. Brazley is very quick, but doesn't look as powerful as the other 3. He might have a hard time seeing the field, but he's just a freshman and is coming off an ACL rehab. If we decide to go with a big back, short yardage package, I'd look for Judd. Big guy, good balance, runs low. He's not as fast or quick as the other 3, but he'll have a roll unless he gets redshirted. We know what we're getting out of Walton. Lot's of quickness and tough running for a small back. I really didn't see him much yesterday, but he supposedly has the best hands of the group and I've read that we're moving him out to the slot some to get him the ball in space and in screens.

TE looks like it might be a strength. It definitely is with Engram on the field. He looks great. If he'd been healthy for the last part of last season, Mizzou and MSU would've been different games. He's bigger than last year too. I'd guess he's gained 10-15 lbs. Jeremy Liggins looks surprisingly good. He's probably lost 20 lbs this summer.(Sure didn't look like he lost weight in the picture two weeks ago) He's still thick like a freshman guard, but dude is a great athlete. He catches the ball and moves really well. We seemed to use him more as an H-Back than a TE on the line. It might be that I just noticed him more in that roll because he's hard to miss lined up in the backfield. His blocking still needs some work. He had a hard time picking up rushers that broke through the LOS. If his blocking keeps coming along, we may be pretty good at TE.

I'm not going to pretend to know much about OL. They all look to be in good shape, but they got beat up by our DL(Well, at least they look good). I think we're still searching for the best 5 there. I hope it's more of an indication of how good our DL is than how bad our OL is.(Not likely) As good as Morris and Tunsil are on the left side, RN and CJ still wreaked havoc over there. The OL seemed better in run blocking than pass protection.(I guess Megaquon can't go deep) Our designed runs were pretty effective. I only saw one bad snap all practice, which is encouraging when breaking in 2 new centers.(Well, shit! I guess you guys may win 10 games since you can do this)

WR looks pretty good. Megaquon is great. Better than Moncreif. Sanders looks good and is tough for DBs to handle, but he needs to work on consistency with his hands. Adaboyjo looks solid. Very fast and caught the ball well. Cody Core looked pretty good. Tall, good range, and caught the ball well. Epps reminded me of Core and I had a hard time telling the 2 apart. I really didn't watch those guys too closely in drills. It's hard to judge them on the scrimmage because the QBs couldn't get the ball to them. Depth might be an issue. I didn't see too many that I was excited about outside of the starters. I hope we get Stringfellow cleared. Everyone is raving over him.

We still don't look good fielding punts(We don't either). Davis looked better than Elston. I didn't see Alford return any, but I hear he's the best at it. Our punters and kickers look good. The rugby kid(Rugby Kid?) is very consistent and can mix it up and punt high or line drive it. Wonderlich can knock the shit out of the ball and gets great hang time, but is a little inconsistent (But can he pass his own test?) Nice to have options there. I read that the kickers looked great, but I left when that part of practice started.

Offense looked good in drills.(Unfortunately they don't get to run drills in a game) Defense looked good where it counts. Our defensive line is really good. Lots of bodies. Very disruptive. No Gross, but they were still able to penetrate and maul the offense. Nkemdiche is a ****ing beast. That dude looks like Suh. Hooks and Bennett are natural run stoppers. Really held the line well and plugged up holes. Ward looked much improved at DE. I worry that he'll be trying to make big plays instead of staying his assignment. CJ and Haynes look really good. They were in the backfield all day. Haynes had an INT early in scrimmage. DL is a huge strength of this team.

LBs looked solid. A lot of depth there. Russell and Shack looked good at ML. I can't say too much good or bad about the whole unit, because they just did their job. DL was so disruptive that it seemed to make their job easy. Bird looks like he's gained 5-10 lbs. I think our front 7 on defense is pretty damn good. LBs might not be the fastest group, but they're solid.

DBs are kind of like the RBs to me. Best shape we've been in for years. Safeties look good and very deep. Elston, Alford, Prewitt and Hampton are a great 2 deep. Prewitt looks like Troy Palomalu, literally. His hair is wild. Husky looks really good too. Conner and Hilton are a really nice 2 deep there, but if Hilton has to move to CB someone will have to step up. Starting unit cornerbacks are solid. Jones and Senquez make a nice tandem. Very few easy catches with those 2 on the field. Kendarious Webster looks damn good too. Tee Shepherd was out. Hopefully his MRI results are good and he's back by the first game. If so, our 2 deep at CB is set. Supposedly Tee had 4 interceptions in Friday's practice. Freeze lit up when talking about him yesterday on the interview I saw. If Tee has to miss time, I'd look for Hilton to step into that roll. You've also got Kailo Moore playing there, but he missed practice yesterday too(Did he run off again?). I'd feel much better about Hilton out there than Moore. There are a lot of other good sized athletes out there with that group, but besides the 2 deep I listed, not a lot of technique or experience that I can tell. I think Carlos Davis plays CB, but I didn't notice him much yesterday. We've got folks available to play, but outside of the ones I mentioned, I don't know how good they are.

Bottom line on the defense is they're very good. They made the offense look like shit for most of the scrimmage. Granted, offense couldn't go tempo, but I'm not sure how much that would've helped as defense looked every bit as well conditioned as offense. Maybe in a game type scenario they could've exploited something with DL over pursuit and caught them off guard, but yesterday the offense was mostly ineffective. We ran the ball somewhat well, which is why I say that about over pursuit. I thought Kincaid looked decent, but I think it's because he was the most creative and quickest to get the hell out of the pocket. Bo barely had time to throw the ball with the first defensive unit on the field. That said, Quon and Engram both caught TD's. Engram ran an awesome post where he made a double move on the initial cut that completely lost his defender and then caught the ball with a safety in his face. Quon just made a beautiful catch. We have big play potential but need to get better on intermediate pass routes and giving the QB time to make good decisions.

Sorry if that's too long. I apologize if it's too wooly as well. I'm high on this team, but it's mostly based on DL. A really good DL will win you some games. I look for us to win 8-9 regular season games. I'm scared to go any higher than that. I'm sure by the time someone posts a game by game prediction thread I'll have us at 12-0. (You better hope your defense is as good as Bama's or it sounds like you are screwed)

defiantdog
08-10-2014, 05:22 PM
They will struggle at center and the right side of the offensive line all year. They just aren't good there. The hurry up offense and quick snaps will mask that though. But I've said all along.... They have great players, but they're not good as a team. There egos get the best of them.

I still believe they'll be competitive each game because of their talent. But a big loss could ruin this team because there will be a lot of finger pointing.... Especially from the coaching staff.

RougeDawg
08-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Their talent is very top heavy. This writeup confirms what I have been saying will be their downfall and possibly 6-7 wins, their OL and lack of depth. When the injuries mount on the OL, and they will have some, they may be struggling at bowl eligibility. They are lucky they don't play a big boy until the 5th game, because two of their OOC's are potential losses with OL injuries.

This guy keeps talking about their DL, but who do they actually have worth a shit besides CJ and Kimchee? I'm Being serious. Those are the only two I can think of that would get PT in our two deep.

defiantdog
08-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Their talent is very top heavy. This writeup confirms what I have been saying will be their downfall and possibly 6-7 wins, their OL and lack of depth. When the injuries mount on the OL, and they will have some, they may be struggling at bowl eligibility. They are lucky they don't play a big boy until the 5th game, because two of their OOC's are potential losses with OL injuries.

This guy keeps talking about their DL, but who do they actually have worth a shit besides CJ and Kimchee? I'm Being serious. Those are the only two I can think of that would get PT in our two deep.

Gross is pretty talented as well

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Their d-line will be pretty good, but not as good as ours. I'm really not sure that our offensive line is much better than theirs, but Dak's ability to move and our ability to pound the ball with bigger running backs, makes our situation more workable.

GreenheadDawg
08-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Gross is pretty talented as well

who the hell would have thought a 250 lb. DT would be worth a shit in the SEC but he is pretty good

CadaverDawg
08-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Their d-line will be pretty good, but not as good as ours. I'm really not sure that our offensive line is much better than theirs, but Dak's ability to move and our ability to pound the ball with bigger running backs, makes our situation more workable.

I'm not as high on our O Line as others, but even I am shocked that you said our OL isn't better than theirs

gtowndawg
08-10-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm not as high on our O Line as others, but even I am shocked that you said our OL isn't better than theirs

We will miss Gabe for sure, but I think we are a solid SEC line. Not great, but solid.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-10-2014, 06:08 PM
All of his talking about rolls made me hungry.

godlluB
08-10-2014, 06:10 PM
It's kind of funny that if an Ole Miss fan says anything negative about his team, the guy is obviously a football genius and we hang on every word. If he says positive things, he's just another delusional bear.

(I'm not picking on this thread specifically, just making a general observation).

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Here is why Ole Miss' talent is top heavy and a theoretical approach on why they have problems:

In the first days after a new General Manager takes over a professional sports team WITH LIMITED RESOURCES (Ole Miss & MSU, not Yankees, Red Sox, or Bama) he will usually have to make possibly the biggest decision of his career about how he will build his team.

Often times this decision boils down to having to choose between two flawed options:

Stars & Scrubs vs. Balanced Roster & Depth

In theory, it has become very obvious which method both MSU & Ole Miss have chose. MSU = balanced roster & depth, Ole Miss = Stars & Scrubs.

Here is why it happens, and why Ole Miss fans aren't necessarily always incorrect when they say that one of our commits didn't have a commitable offer from them. But that's their problem, not ours.

Stars & Scrubs approach:

When you have limited resources, under this approach, you will have a number of really good players and a number of really bad ones. Meaning that, at some positions you will have the best player in the league and at others, you may have a below avg player and very little depth. The downfall of teams with this approach is that they miss out on many good players that they may have a chance at, in preference of attempting to get great players that may have little to mild interest in them.

Player A = Best DE in America. Has interest in Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, & Ole Miss. All schools are equal on his list
Player B = Really good DE that has interest in MSU, Ole Miss, and Arizona State. High 3 star, low 4
Player C = Below avg player with offers from Ole Miss, Iowa State, Kansas, and MSU. Low to middle 3 star

Under these circumstances Ole Miss always pursue player A, even when they only have a 25% of getting him. Meanwhile, MSU will commit player B because Ole Miss doesn't, currently, want him and MSU is ready to take him. Thus, when Ole Miss misses out on player A, after he chooses Alabama, they are stuck either trying to flip player B, which a vast majority of the time they can't do, or settling for player C, which is a below average player. By chasing all the top players, Ole Miss will always land a few of them (stars), but they will always miss out on more than they get, and thus have to settle for the below average player (Scrubs).

Balanced Roster, Depth:

Under the balanced roster, depth theory (THIS IS ALSO KNOWN AS MONEYBALL) you always take "good, undervalued player" and use player development, system, and culture to hopefully develop some of those "Good Players" into stars. Under this theory, teams will usually have depth, competition, and potentially a blue collar attitude, but their downfall can be that they don't have the stars to get over the hump. These teams must be very good at developing schemes, culture, talent evaluation, and player development.

Player A = Best DE in America. Has interest in Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, & Ole Miss. All school are equal on his list
Player B = Really good DE that has interest in MSU, Ole Miss, and Arizona State.
Player C = Below avg player with offers from Ole Miss, Iowa State, Kansas, and MSU

Unless Player A lives in Mississippi or MSU has a major connection, MSU will usually pass on him and get player B committed as soon as possible. By doing this we kinda get to choose who we want and beat other teams on that player, therefore, forcing them to take player C. However, MSU must continue to be good at Player Development and scheme creativity if this strategy will work well enough to give you a chance to win a championship. The main benefit of this strategy, however, is that you have a ton of good players, very few obvious holes, and a high floor. You just have to find some play makers to tip the scales.

It's why the Oakland A's haven't won a World Series. They may win it this year, but it's because they reversed their strategy for one year. Oakland will have to trade away Lester and Samardija if they want to continue to win every year in the regular season.

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2014, 06:23 PM

I really wasn't trying to make that point, that's why. My real point was that, it doesn't really matter if our O-line is better or equal to theirs because Dak's ability to move and manipulate the pocket, neutralizes that.

DawgPoundtheRock
08-10-2014, 06:23 PM
I find it very telling that their dl overpowered even Morris and Tunsil. If their OL is as bad as we suspect, they will have a hard time throwing downfield or keeping a qb healthy for that matter. I believe that their defense will be good and keep them in, or possibly win them some games. It's interesting that an OM fan would provide what I view as such a negative report about the offense. But, after all, it's only one scrimmage.

UMCDawg16
08-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Here is the issue with OM's D-Line that is supposedly their best unit on the team.-- Yes they are good. BUT their calling card is pass-rushing, they can't stop the run to save their life. This is the SEC not the Big-12, the top-tier teams don't throw the ball 40-50 times a game, so you better be able to stop the run first and foremost. Who cares if you have a pass rush but get ran over all game long. This will be exposed in a huge way when they play Bama when Henry and Yeldon, LSU with Fournette and Auburn with their run-offense. Also, they are very top heavy with Kimdashian and CJ. They have zero depth. Only 3 guys on their 2-deep would even see the field for us. Another huge issue for them when they play the top teams.

I'll take our D-Line every day of the week over theirs.

smootness
08-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Here is the issue with OM's D-Line that is supposedly their best unit on the team.-- Yes they are good. BUT their calling card is pass-rushing, they can't stop the run to save their life. This is the SEC not the Big-12, the top-tier teams don't throw the ball 40-50 times a game, so you better be able to stop the run first and foremost. Who cares if you have a pass rush but get ran over all game long. This will be exposed in a huge way when they play Bama when Henry and Yeldon, LSU with Fournette and Auburn with their run-offense. Also, they are very top heavy with Kimdashian and CJ. They have zero depth. Only 3 guys on their 2-deep would even see the field for us. Another huge issue for them when they play the top teams.

Well, they didn't rush the passer very well last year.

The problem with their DL is that it isn't very big. Gross is good, but there's a certain ceiling for a DT that small. You just can't do everything a guy much bigger can. If they line up Gross and Nkemdiche at DT, that's a total of about 530 pounds...that's tiny in the SEC. Meanwhile no matter who our DTs are, they'll be 600+.

UMCDawg16
08-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Well, they didn't rush the passer very well last year.

The problem with their DL is that it isn't very big. Gross is good, but there's a certain ceiling for a DT that small. You just can't do everything a guy much bigger can. If they line up Gross and Nkemdiche at DT, that's a total of about 530 pounds...that's tiny in the SEC. Meanwhile no matter who our DTs are, they'll be 600+.

True. But CJ was out and that's what he does. And RN is a pass rusher as well. But yes they are very undersized and that's why they get worn down against the run.

MarketingBully01
08-10-2014, 06:37 PM

My thoughts exactly and they don't have a power back on their roster to test this theory. If you saw a picture of their OLine that leaked out you would know our OL is 10x theirs.

MarketingBully01
08-10-2014, 06:45 PM
With Robinson, Griffin, Shumpert and Williams added to Dak we have about as many bruising backs as you could have. Man I am ready for football season. Less then three weeks away!

RougeDawg
08-10-2014, 07:21 PM
My thoughts exactly and they don't have a power back on their roster to test this theory. If you saw a picture of their OLine that leaked out you would know our OL is 10x theirs.

^^^This all day.^^^ Anyone who saw the pic of their OL would not find it surprising that even a Bear fan would talk bad about them. That pic looked more like a CUSA/Mountain West OLine, that would have problems blocking a sneeze. I've been saying it all along, and I will continue to say it, their OL will be their downfall and the reason they don't win more than 8 games, barring 0 injuries. With injuries the wins will drop dramatically, possibly below bowl eligibility. Quick 3 and outs, caused by a bad OL and inept offense, will create some tired defenses. Some of you forget how we looked when our olines were thin. They will see the same effects this year. Just wait.

EAVdog
08-10-2014, 07:36 PM
It's now less than 3 weeks from kickoff and they don't have a starter at Center, Right Guard, or Right Tackle. And not because they have so much OL talent they just can't settle on a two deep. I don't think they have more than 3 or 4 SEC level OL right now. They have guys coming off injuries, Juco transfers, backups from last year, and true Freshmen who they are going to rely on. How many times have we been in that boat telling ourselves that some Juco guy or the highly rated croot was gonna come in and do the job with no drop off. How did that work out for us? By all objective measures their OL won't be as good as last years. Let that soak in.

Irondawg
08-10-2014, 09:14 PM
The two biggest surprises about OM's defense to me last year was that LSU didn't even try to ram the ball down their throat when they realized Mett was going to be spotty that game and the fact than in the Egg Bowl we tried it and I thought we would do well with it even though they were stacking the box but they held us in check.

I'll be shocked if every defensive coordinator doesn't use press coverage on them, send an extra guy to their right side and try to focus a little more coverage on Treadwell while trying to hold engram up some at the line of scrimmage. Make that line hold for 3 second on passing down and i think you'll get a lot of pressure on Bo and he tends to make bad decisions under duress

War Machine Dawg
08-10-2014, 10:14 PM

Gross. That dude is legit. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Todd4State
08-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Here is why Ole Miss' talent is top heavy and a theoretical approach on why they have problems:

In the first days after a new General Manager takes over a professional sports team WITH LIMITED RESOURCES (Ole Miss & MSU, not Yankees, Red Sox, or Bama) he will usually have to make possibly the biggest decision of his career about how he will build his team.

Often times this decision boils down to having to choose between two flawed options:

Stars & Scrubs vs. Balanced Roster & Depth

In theory, it has become very obvious which method both MSU & Ole Miss have chose. MSU = balanced roster & depth, Ole Miss = Stars & Scrubs.

Here is why it happens, and why Ole Miss fans aren't necessarily always incorrect when they say that one of our commits didn't have a commitable offer from them. But that's their problem, not ours.

Stars & Scrubs approach:

When you have limited resources, under this approach, you will have a number of really good players and a number of really bad ones. Meaning that, at some positions you will have the best player in the league and at others, you may have a below avg player and very little depth. The downfall of teams with this approach is that they miss out on many good players that they may have a chance at, in preference of attempting to get great players that may have little to mild interest in them.

Player A = Best DE in America. Has interest in Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, & Ole Miss. All schools are equal on his list
Player B = Really good DE that has interest in MSU, Ole Miss, and Arizona State. High 3 star, low 4
Player C = Below avg player with offers from Ole Miss, Iowa State, Kansas, and MSU. Low to middle 3 star

Under these circumstances Ole Miss always pursue player A, even when they only have a 25% of getting him. Meanwhile, MSU will commit player B because Ole Miss doesn't, currently, want him and MSU is ready to take him. Thus, when Ole Miss misses out on player A, after he chooses Alabama, they are stuck either trying to flip player B, which a vast majority of the time they can't do, or settling for player C, which is a below average player. By chasing all the top players, Ole Miss will always land a few of them (stars), but they will always miss out on more than they get, and thus have to settle for the below average player (Scrubs).

Balanced Roster, Depth:

Under the balanced roster, depth theory (THIS IS ALSO KNOWN AS MONEYBALL) you always take "good, undervalued player" and use player development, system, and culture to hopefully develop some of those "Good Players" into stars. Under this theory, teams will usually have depth, competition, and potentially a blue collar attitude, but their downfall can be that they don't have the stars to get over the hump. These teams must be very good at developing schemes, culture, talent evaluation, and player development.

Player A = Best DE in America. Has interest in Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, & Ole Miss. All school are equal on his list
Player B = Really good DE that has interest in MSU, Ole Miss, and Arizona State.
Player C = Below avg player with offers from Ole Miss, Iowa State, Kansas, and MSU

Unless Player A lives in Mississippi or MSU has a major connection, MSU will usually pass on him and get player B committed as soon as possible. By doing this we kinda get to choose who we want and beat other teams on that player, therefore, forcing them to take player C. However, MSU must continue to be good at Player Development and scheme creativity if this strategy will work well enough to give you a chance to win a championship. The main benefit of this strategy, however, is that you have a ton of good players, very few obvious holes, and a high floor. You just have to find some play makers to tip the scales.

It's why the Oakland A's haven't won a World Series. They may win it this year, but it's because they reversed their strategy for one year. Oakland will have to trade away Lester and Samardija if they want to continue to win every year in the regular season.

Very well said. And that strategy is going to pay off big time the next two years for us.

It's absolutely critical that we have coaches that can develop talent. That has been a major flaw of some of our coaches in the past.

Todd4State
08-10-2014, 10:26 PM
The two biggest surprises about OM's defense to me last year was that LSU didn't even try to ram the ball down their throat when they realized Mett was going to be spotty that game and the fact than in the Egg Bowl we tried it and I thought we would do well with it even though they were stacking the box but they held us in check.

I'll be shocked if every defensive coordinator doesn't use press coverage on them, send an extra guy to their right side and try to focus a little more coverage on Treadwell while trying to hold engram up some at the line of scrimmage. Make that line hold for 3 second on passing down and i think you'll get a lot of pressure on Bo and he tends to make bad decisions under duress

Two words: Les Miles. That's the only explanation you need.

As far as the Egg Bowl, Damien played as well as could be expected, but he just simply was not there as a passer last year and it limited what we could do until Dak came in. I'm not being critical of Damien, he wasn't SUPPOSED to be ready last year. He's going to get better as time goes along and he progresses.

Todd4State
08-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Couple of more things:

I seen Ryan Buchanan a lot when he was at Prep. His decision making has always been iffy to say the least. That's why he had a completion percentage of 50% and threw a ton of INT's. Prep leaned more on their running game than they did on him. If Buchanan was off and they were playing a good team like Pearl, it would be a close game. If he was on, they would blow out a good team- which is what happened in the Championship Game his senior year. He's a "good kid" who happens to be 6'4" and have a really strong arm, but on the field he doesn't always get it. At least up until now. Being another Stewart Patridge is his ceiling.

Aaron Morris was at 370 last year. I have no idea what he's at now. Here's something to think about regarding their o-line. Damien Robinson would no doubt start for them. The guy that we all have questions about. Let that sink in for a minute. That's why I disagree about our o-lines being close. Our o-line is better and has more known quantities.

sandwolf
08-11-2014, 02:30 AM
Here's something to think about regarding their o-line. Damien Robinson would no doubt start for them. The guy that we all have questions about. Let that sink in for a minute. That's why I disagree about our o-lines being close. Our o-line is better and has more known quantities.

That is a pretty good point.....puts things in perspective.

EAVdog
08-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Couple of more things:

I seen Ryan Buchanan a lot when he was at Prep. His decision making has always been iffy to say the least. That's why he had a completion percentage of 50% and threw a ton of INT's. Prep leaned more on their running game than they did on him. If Buchanan was off and they were playing a good team like Pearl, it would be a close game. If he was on, they would blow out a good team- which is what happened in the Championship Game his senior year. He's a "good kid" who happens to be 6'4" and have a really strong arm, but on the field he doesn't always get it. At least up until now. Being another Stewart Patridge is his ceiling.

Aaron Morris was at 370 last year. I have no idea what he's at now. Here's something to think about regarding their o-line. Damien Robinson would no doubt start for them. The guy that we all have questions about. Let that sink in for a minute. That's why I disagree about our o-lines being close. Our o-line is better and has more known quantities.

Yeah, they have 3 spots to fill Center, RG, and RT. Their RG seems to be figured out but the 2 guys left after switching back and forth between C and RT. 18 days away from kickoff. I think Damien Robinson would be their 3rd best OL, granted I haven't seen the JUCO guy play a snap.

Center is a battle between Robert Conyers/Ben Still
RG looks to be Justin Bell
RT is a battle between Fahn Cooper/Robert Conyers

I'll make my projections for their OL depth this year.

1st Team
LT - Laremy Tunsil (stud)
RT - Aaron Morris (hasn't played in a year, off injury)
C - Ben Still
RG - Justin Bell
RT - Robert Conyers

2nd Team
LT - Fahn Cooper (play the 3rd Tackle role)
LG -Rod Taylor, true Freshman(or RG)
C - (Robert Conyers, which would bump Fahn Cooper to RT)
RG - Daronte Bouldin (or LG)
RT - Davion Johnson

Redshirt/3rd Team
Sean Rawlings
Tyler Putnam
Jordan Sims

This is why I'm not very high on Ole Miss this year. You just can't go through the SEC West with a unit like that.

Covercorner2
08-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Yeah, they have 3 spots to fill Center, RG, and RT. Their RG seems to be figured out but the 2 guys left after switching back and forth between C and RT. 18 days away from kickoff. I think Damien Robinson would be their 3rd best OL, granted I haven't seen the JUCO guy play a snap.

Center is a battle between Robert Conyers/Ben Still
RG looks to be Justin Bell
RT is a battle between Fahn Cooper/Robert Conyers

I'll make my projections for their OL depth this year.

1st Team
LT - Laremy Tunsil (stud)
RT - Aaron Morris (hasn't played in a year, off injury)
C - Ben Still
RG - Justin Bell
RT - Robert Conyers

2nd Team
LT - Fahn Cooper (play the 3rd Tackle role)
LG -Rod Taylor, true Freshman(or RG)
C - (Robert Conyers, which would bump Fahn Cooper to RT)
RG - Daronte Bouldin (or LG)
RT - Davion Johnson

Redshirt/3rd Team
Sean Rawlings
Tyler Putnam
Jordan Sims

This is why I'm not very high on Ole Miss this year. You just can't go through the SEC West with a unit like that.

That second team OL has played a COMBINED 5 games of SEC football

hacker
08-11-2014, 05:25 PM
As good as Morris and Tunsil are on the left side, RN and CJ still wreaked havoc over there.

That does sound scary, tbh. Those are two badasses. Hopefully we'll be ready on that side by November.