PDA

View Full Version : Just got done watching the Egg Bowl replay

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2014, 02:37 AM
Lets talk some football:

We will be on the road this year in Oxford and that will certainly make things tougher, but, after watching the entire Egg Bowl replay, how is Ole Miss going to block our defensive line?

I know a lot can happen between now and then, but, from an objective standpoint, our defensive line pitched a tent in their backfield in this game. We pressured Bo almost every time he dropped back to pass. People can talk about how Bo's arm is stronger, Treadwell moving outside, yada, yada, yada, but all that is completely irrelevant if Ole Miss can't give Bo enough time to stand back there and throw the ball down the field. After watching this replay, and realizing that we return everybody + Chris Jones knowing what he is doing this year, and Ole Miss being very thin & inexperienced on the offensive line, I just don't see how Ole Miss is going to block us without Bo being a legitimate threat to run.

Throw out recruiting rankings, hype, Ole Miss being at home, having revenge on their mind, and look at this from a pure football standpoint and please tell me what I am missing here. After watching this game, I feel better about the Egg Bowl this year, because I can't figure out how Ole Miss is going to block us. Now, who knows if Dak will be healthy, if our offensive line will be worth a crap, and if we will score a point either, but, at this point with their current offensive line situation, I see them scoring about the same amount of points on offense they scored last year. Maybe give them 14 or 17 total points because I'm sure we will have a punt blocked, kickoff returned or fumble on our own goaline.

It going to be a battle up there, but I think we match up extremely well against their biggest weakness. I actually think we would have more trouble with them if Kincade played because he could scramble and somewhat negate our rush.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1StKL_8H8o

BossDawg
08-10-2014, 04:09 AM
Is it 14 or 16 starters they return? Didn't they return 18 last year? And they're supposed to be better this year? I know that's kind of nitpicking but still, I really don't see where the hype is coming from. As far as UMiss being better, the only thing the experts seem to key in on is Bo returning, and occasionally something about the depth at certain areas on defense.

I'll admit that I've had a few sour grapes, but i really don't get how we can return 17 while they return 15(?) and won one more game, yet somehow they are supposed to be bat $#!t crazy good this year and will probably name their score in the EB.

EAVdog
08-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Their OL is going to be Tunsil, Aaron Morris, and 3 other bodies. They will struggle this year keeping Wallace upright or running the ball. As for the hype, well that is just the off season. To be honest I'm a little surprised some publications have us even winning 7 games. Normally we can expect to be picked last in the SECW regardless.

Leroy Jenkins
08-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Lets talk some football:

We will be on the road this year in Oxford and that will certainly make things tougher, but, after watching the entire Egg Bowl replay, how is Ole Miss going to block our defensive line?

The bear O-Line is hurting. Gonna be a long year for CBS and those 160lb scat-backs. Regarding the scrimmage Brotha Freezus commented:

"Of the plays we had scripted, half of them were wasted reps for the receivers because the quarterbacks don't even have time to go through the progression".

Look at those dough-boys attempting to do up-downs in the background at the 2 minute mark of the interview.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2014/08/09/tee-shepard-ole-miss-practice/13826433/

C'mon, Man.

SDDawg
08-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Bottom line: we will burn down VHS this year and they will be calling for Freeze's head. I've been saying this for 9 months now, it's going to be ugly. I can't wait to see it go down. :)

MSUDawg4Life
08-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Football games are won in the trenches, but there's a lot of football to be played between now and then. Anything can happen. I like our chances though.

blacklistedbully
08-10-2014, 09:51 AM
This is pretty much what I've been saying. I keep asking why some think this year should be a toss-up or OM favored when we most likely would have beaten them at home last year by at least 19 points if Dak had started and they had not got away with 2 t/o's + a freak blocked punt for TD.

Home-field advantage is worth something, but it's sure as hell not worth 19 points, even on the swing from our HFA to theirs! Yes, we lose Gabe, and that's big, but overall we should still be in better overall shape than them this year. I need those who worry about OM to explain their reasons beyond a simple, "because the home team almost always wins". Though that's mostly been the case, I think it doesn't accurately reflect the relative strengths of our programs coming into this year.

SDDawg
08-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Everything you need to know about Ole Miss is contained in a play at minute 9 of that video. Run to the left side by OM, totally clean play by Calhoun to get the runner out of bounds and one of the OM COACHES/GAs puts Calhoun in an arm lock and starts to tussle with him on the sideline. This is in the FIRST QUARTER on a CLEAN PLAY. When you are scum, it's hard to hide it. OM did a very good job of showing their true colors in that game and I can't wait to see their true colors again when we stomp their ass this year.

SDDawg
08-10-2014, 11:01 AM
17:35, Treadwell dropping a wide open screen pass. Clearly the next Jerry Rice. *****

CadaverDawg
08-10-2014, 02:09 PM
So I just watched it again too, thanks Shotgun. Here are a few things I noticed...

1. Matthew Wells. Good grief this dude is so much better than anybody has ever given him credit for (except his #1 fan, me, of course). He shut down the screen game by coming up and laying the wood or making open field tackles all night. What a player. Gives maximum effort every play.

2. Teveze Calhoun. Talk about instincts. This guy was everywhere and made several key plays on the night. He is not only a great cover guy, but excellent in outside run support. That play he made late in the game when Sanders caught the ball running over the middle, could have saved the game.

3. Chris Jones was winded as early as the beginning of the 2nd Quarter. If this guy wasn't even in shape last year, I fear for the offenses that will face an in-shape Jones this season. He was a beast in that game despite constantly being winded and even asking to come out a few times.

4. Tolando Cleveland. Who? Yes, he was in there helping over the top in Nickle coverage several times and helped break up passes. I didn't expect him to be a guy that rises out of last year's freshman class, but keep an eye on him.

5. Damien Williams played a pretty good game outside of the poor decision on the Prewitt pick. Williams threw several balls right on the money, and if Morrow, Mojo, and DeRunnya had caught every ball that hit them in the hands, he'd have had 4 more completions. I think JRob and LDP even each dropped one. Williams can probably make the back shoulder throw better than any QB we have.

6. Forgive me, but I am so glad LDP will not be there to steal carries from JRob this year. I love LDP, but Mullen's use of him killed me. JRob is not only a spark, but he is quick, strong, and runs low. He could have a HUGE year. That option play with JRob was a thing of beauty, while the outside carries for Perk ended up in him getting slung down by a corner with 1 hand. JRob + Dak is going to be a fun thing to watch this season.

7. Damn I will miss you Nickoe Whitley. For all of the times you made us pull our hair out with poor angles, shoulder tackles without wrapping up, and personal fouls....I don't think there is any player in MSU history that made more big plays at crucial times. And to find out you played all year hurt....well, I tip my cap to you.

8. Shumpert. He blew up one of the OM linebackers on JRob's TD run. I think if Shumpert keeps asking for contact, stick his ass at FB and let him head hunt. Dude is a monster.

9. Freeze vs Collins. If you noticed when we were driving for the FG at the end of regulation, they kept showing Freeze. Freeze looked visibly sick and defeated. Geoff Collins took Freeze's gimmicks and shoved them up his buck toothed ass that night. Freeze is more anxious to get Collins out of town than he is Mullen....though he knows both own him.

10. Field Goal kicking. We better find it....soon. Or we can kiss any hopes of SEC West bye bye. Watching that game again reminded me how I didn't even feel comfortable with us kicking an extra point, much less a FG from 35 yards. Please let Michigan Man be the answer.

11. Im so damn tired of watching interviews, highlights, and replays. This August has already last 3 months, and we still have 20 days left. If our players are as anxious as I am....there may be some buzzards circling some buzzards on the field after the opening game.

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2014, 02:17 PM
So I just watched it again too, thanks Shotgun. Here are a few things I noticed...

1. Matthew Wells. Good grief this dude is so much better than anybody has ever given him credit for (except his #1 fan, me, of course). He shut down the screen game by coming up and laying the wood or making open field tackles all night. What a player. Gives maximum effort every play.

2. Teveze Calhoun. Talk about instincts. This guy was everywhere and made several key plays on the night. He is not only a great cover guy, but excellent in outside run support. That play he made late in the game when Sanders caught the ball running over the middle, could have saved the game.

3. Chris Jones was winded as early as the beginning of the 2nd Quarter. If this guy wasn't even in shape last year, I fear for the offenses that will face an in-shape Jones this season. He was a beast in that game despite constantly being winded and even asking to come out a few times.

4. Tolando Cleveland. Who? Yes, he was in there helping over the top in Nickle coverage several times and helped break up passes. I didn't expect him to be a guy that rises out of last year's freshman class, but keep an eye on him.

5. Damien Williams played a pretty good game outside of the poor decision on the Prewitt pick. Williams threw several balls right on the money, and if Morrow, Mojo, and DeRunnya had caught every ball that hit them in the hands, he'd have had 4 more completions. I think JRob and LDP even each dropped one. Williams can probably make the back shoulder throw better than any QB we have.

6. Forgive me, but I am so glad LDP will not be there to steal carries from JRob this year. I love LDP, but Mullen's use of him killed me. JRob is not only a spark, but he is quick, strong, and runs low. He could have a HUGE year. That option play with JRob was a thing of beauty, while the outside carries for Perk ended up in him getting slung down by a corner with 1 hand. JRob + Dak is going to be a fun thing to watch this season.

7. Damn I will miss you Nickoe Whitley. For all of the times you made us pull our hair out with poor angles, shoulder tackles without wrapping up, and personal fouls....I don't think there is any player in MSU history that made more big plays at crucial times. And to find out you played all year hurt....well, I tip my cap to you.

8. Shumpert. He blew up one of the OM linebackers on JRob's TD run. I think if Shumpert keeps asking for contact, stick his ass at FB and let him head hunt. Dude is a monster.

9. Freeze vs Collins. If you noticed when we were driving for the FG at the end of regulation, they kept showing Freeze. Freeze looked visibly sick and defeated. Geoff Collins took Freeze's gimmicks and shoved them up his buck toothed ass that night. Freeze is more anxious to get Collins out of town than he is Mullen....though he knows both own him.

10. Field Goal kicking. We better find it....soon. Or we can kiss any hopes of SEC West bye bye. Watching that game again reminded me how I didn't even feel comfortable with us kicking an extra point, much less a FG from 35 yards. Please let Michigan Man be the answer.

11. Im so damn tired of watching interviews, highlights, and replays. This August has already last 3 months, and we still have 20 days left. If our players are as anxious as I am....there may be some buzzards circling some buzzards on the field after the opening game.

Good breakdown.

Do you see any chance of Ole Miss' O-line blocking us this year? If so, how?

CadaverDawg
08-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Good breakdown.

Do you see any chance of Ole Miss' O-line blocking us this year? If so, how?

I don't really know how. They did run the ball effectively early on with Walton by running straight at our D so they didn't have much time to react....but they abandoned it. I think they will miss Gholson. When Tunsil was in they had more luck on the ground, so maybe they think he will save them. There is no doubt that Collins had their number....how will they adjust this year with everyone returning for us and no Moncrief for them?

I like our chances, but home field is a strange thing in college football.

SDDawg
08-10-2014, 02:30 PM
SD- I don't see any way, their OL makes ours look DEEP and Tunsil already appears to be injury prone. I will be surprised if we don't wreak havoc on them this year, if it wasn't a rivalry game that we're playing away I'd expect a blowout based on these matchups.

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2014, 02:37 PM
SD- I don't see any way, their OL makes ours look DEEP and Tunsil already appears to be injury prone. I will be surprised if we don't wreak havoc on them this year, if it wasn't a rivalry game that we're playing away I'd expect a blowout based on these matchups.

Tunsil is a very good player, and it may be unfair to believe that he will be hurt for that game. He will certainly help them, but we can just move guys around and attack their weakness. Tunsil alone is not near enough to protect Bo Wallace in the pocket. They are going to need some guys to massively step up on their offensive line, or they are going to have trouble beating any teams with a good defensive line.

CadaverDawg
08-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Tunsil is a very good player, and it may be unfair to believe that he will be hurt for that game. He will certainly help them, but we can just move guys around and attack their weakness. Tunsil alone is not near enough to protect Bo Wallace in the pocket. They are going to need some guys to massively step up on their offensive line, or they are going to have trouble beating any teams with a good defensive line.

I don't necessarily agree about having trouble against most good defensive lines. You have to remember that they run a lot of quick passes that act as their running game in a way. Now I DO agree that they will have trouble running between the tackles against a SEC D....but they don't do that a ton as it is. It's part of the reason that I don't feel they will ever win at a high level with Freeze. Sure, you can short pass your way to 8-9 wins occasionally....but when you need a tough couple of yards on the goal line, where's it going to come from?

The reason they suck in he Redzone, is because their multiple option offense has less room to develop inside the 20. If you can't line up and run the ball inside the 20, you aren't beating a good defense most times.

SDDawg
08-10-2014, 03:03 PM
CD & SD- I think you're both right, OM's style of play won't require the kind of line you'd ideally like to see in the SEC but even with the one they have it's going to be questionable. I also don't question Tunsil's ability, but he was dinged up several times last year and you have to wonder if that's going to continue. If he is dependable for them it will help a lot but if he is not I think their situation is even more dire. I also think the quick passing game is going to be less effective this year without Moncrief, who is the deep threat you have to respect when they want to toss those bubbles to Treadwell?

CadaverDawg
08-10-2014, 03:22 PM
CD & SD- I think you're both right, OM's style of play won't require the kind of line you'd ideally like to see in the SEC but even with the one they have it's going to be questionable. I also don't question Tunsil's ability, but he was dinged up several times last year and you have to wonder if that's going to continue. If he is dependable for them it will help a lot but if he is not I think their situation is even more dire. I also think the quick passing game is going to be less effective this year without Moncrief, who is the deep threat you have to respect when they want to toss those bubbles to Treadwell?

I think Treadwell will be their Monceief this year and Pack or someone else will be their bubble screen guy

Political Hack
08-10-2014, 04:33 PM
did we win it again when you rewatched it?

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2014, 04:36 PM
did we win it again when you rewatched it?

We actually did, but it was certainly heart wrenching.

FWIW, sometimes in August I like to go back and watch a big game from the previous season. The summer hype machine with these magazines, experts, polls, rankings, etc... tend to create a false reality, both good and bad. By going back and watching a game from last season, I believe it gets you back to ground zero as to what the reality of the situation is.

SDDawg
08-10-2014, 04:49 PM
I have rewatched the Liberty Bowl and the Egg Bowl this summer, mainly because I want to see some good football and also to remind me of what we have coming back. I am ready for real football in the worst way.

SDDawg
08-10-2014, 04:59 PM
I think Treadwell will be their Monceief this year and Pack or someone else will be their bubble screen guy

Absolutely makes sense, but Pack is no Treadwell and I'd be surprised if they can get the kind of YAC that they had with Treadwell in that role. Again, the whole plan sorta falls apart when you rely on such a one-dimensional approach. Treadwell is going to pump up his stats playing Presbyterian and all, but when it's time to play against tougher opponents I'll be curious to see how effective their passing game is.

ShotgunDawg
08-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Absolutely makes sense, but Pack is no Treadwell and I'd be surprised if they can get the kind of YAC that they had with Treadwell in that role. Again, the whole plan sorta falls apart when you rely on such a one-dimensional approach. Treadwell is going to pump up his stats playing Presbyterian and all, but when it's time to play against tougher opponents I'll be curious to see how effective their passing game is.

They won't be able to protect Bo long enough for Treadwell to get many down the field passes. His stats will be good though, because they'll throw it to him 20 times a game.