PDA

View Full Version : How does any recruit or athlete ever even consider going to OM after Demonstrations..

RougeDawg
08-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Like today and the others in the last few years. The Meridith statue issue along with the group of students riding around in the back of the truck yelling racial slurs recently. The football team yelling derogatory slurs at the play. These are just a few of a large amount of racially motivated events that have occurred and continue to occur there. Adding to the issue, is their name and their holding on to the past.

How in the F*CK do we not pull in any player in the state that we want EVERY YEAR with all of these negatives up there??? I'm asking semi facetiously but also somewhat serious. How can our coaches not sign whoever we want? Do the OM boosters really pay enough $ to keep the recruits from caring about their past and the mentality of the University and Alumni?

This is also another reason that people throw out the accusations of OM flipping these recruits from top programs. It does not make logical Not only are they a middle to bottom tier SEC team, they also have a tarnished racial past and present. There's no logical reason any recruit, especially a top recruit, would "Truly" want to go play there. They have nothing to offer that is better than most Big12, ACC, or another team in their state has to offer. They have been irrelevant in football for the better part of the last 4-5 decades. The only time the university makes the news, they are dealing with a racially motivated event or rally. What makes these kids magically want to "flip" to OM, most times last minute, if they aren't getting paid hefty amounts?

Bottom line, when are we going to exploit this and leave those cheating delusional bastards in the dust?

SDDawg
08-09-2014, 08:15 PM
RD- I'm with you on not understanding why people don't see through it. Marlon Humphrey did, talked openly about it too and I had a ton of respect for that. Most other kids simply don't pay attention or accept a lie from the coaches. Ole Miss is a very backwards institution, even their President understands the problems there and in another 10 years there won't be an "Ole Miss" any more, nor any Rebels. The UMiss Landsharks or something else similar will be all that's left in the not too distant future.

On the other hand, I really don't want to exploit it. I don't want to get on that level, I'd rather just let the comparison stand on its own. What kinds of kids are we bringing in, what kind of program are we running, and what kind of institution State is vs. Ole Miss. The jealous Rebels are trolling around on these boards constantly looking for anything to complain about, I'd rather just let them drown in their own hatred and turn the Landsharks into the stepchild of MS football.

maroonmania
08-09-2014, 08:18 PM
There are always recruits out there that will overlook that stuff for some heppin'.

BeardoMSU
08-09-2014, 08:29 PM
There are always recruits out there that will overlook that stuff for some heppin'.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/4b02b3e5739cbd321abf6b4be9357066/tumblr_mfx7f9cmec1qc04bco1_400.gif

Quaoarsking
08-09-2014, 09:43 PM
I suspect the reason is that many recruits come from rural towns that with a lot of racist white people, so they've already learned how to ignore it.

Goat Holder
08-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Probably because none of them care about all this petty race bait bullsh*t. Just the truth. I like to see Ole Miss suffer too, but not due to the acts of a very small minority that exists everywhere. Most decent people have moved beyond, and above, all the race crap.

Quaoarsking
08-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Probably because none of them care about all this petty race bait bullsh*t. Just the truth. I like to see Ole Miss suffer too, but not due to the acts of a very small minority that exists everywhere. Most decent people have moved beyond, and above, all the race crap.

Sorry, but it was far more than a "very small minority" of Ole Miss fans who repeatedly screamed "THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!1" even after being specifically asked not to by the university, the coaches, and the players, including black players who explained why they cheer made them uncomfortable. This incident would have never happened at MSU or any other major college football program (maybe BYU).

Similarly, there's only one major college football program whose fans ever rally with Confederate flags.

blacklistedbully
08-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Selling out, IMO. As long as they're, "getting their respect", some are willing to help that program despite their continued attachment to racist symbols of the past.

Ole Miss is great at kissing ass (and other body parts), so perhaps that allows some of these recruits to feel a strange sense of empowerment to get their asses kissed by that institution. But it sure seems to me to ultimately be a metaphorical slap-in-the-face to fellow minorities who are offended by said symbols.

And I'm sure there are some who just plain feel like OM is their best chance to play and star, etc.

It's hard to know what goes on in the minds of any minority recruit and/or their families as they contemplate playing for a place that treasures and fights for, "Ole Miss", "rebels", "Col Reb", "TSSRA", "Dixie", "waving Confederate flags", "protesting Obama's reelection by shouting racial slurs", etc, etc.

It's even harder to understand why any would favor OM over an MSU with an almost polar-opposite approach for decades (not that we haven't had our share of racists, but by comparison we are clearly far more progressive).

I would frankly really like to hear opinions from minority members on this matter. Maybe I'm missing something.