PDA

View Full Version : Does our hosting reputation help us host?

FlabLoser
05-20-2013, 11:58 AM
You gotta give Larry Templeton one thing - he knew how to get us hosting. Mr "in the black" out-bid Clemson for a hosting opportunity. And we turned a profit on it by packing in Dudy Noble all weekend.

Our reputation and Dudy Noble tradition may have helped us that time as well.

Does any of that help us out for this year?

601Dawg
05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Nope not at all. If a mid-major team is 50-6 and has a high RPI and won their conference but plays in a 800 seat park they would get to host. kind of like Coastal Carolina a few years back, even though I think they played their regional at the A park in Myrtle Beach.

Todd4State
05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
It doesn't hurt- but it's not "supposed" to help.

Honestly, I think we hosted over Clemson is large part becuase we had to go out there the year before.

Sandman14
05-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Our reputation for record crowds most assuredly helps us. It is great for college baseball. All things equal, we get the nod. That is why it is a 100% lock that we are hosting now, regardless of the outcome with Mizzou.

Sandman14
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
It doesn't hurt- but it's not "supposed" to help.

Honestly, I think we hosted over Clemson is large part becuase we had to go out there the year before.

It doesn't hurt? How in the world could possibly hurt?

We hosted over Clemson because of our reputation for record crowds, along with Templton's savvy behind the scenes maneuvering to get us lined up across from Clemson, who everyone knew stood a great shot of winning their regional. Once they won their regional, there was never any doubt, although the Clemson faithful were clamoring about it..

Ronny
05-20-2013, 12:45 PM
..era has past.

Back during the era of Polk I, our hosting reputation definitely helped us host. And even carried over into the Pat McMahon era.

But during the Polk II era & the early Cohen years we began to stink up the joint to the extent the committees considered us a hosting has-been & didn't give a crap if we could lure 30,000 people to a regional.

But I think Cohen is finally getting us back to where we will regain our hosting reputation & it will pay dividends moving forward.

Sandman14
05-20-2013, 12:47 PM
there is just no basis for that, Ronny. the fact is that over the last 30 years, there have been very, very few occasions where we deserved to host but did not, and there certainly have been times we have benefitted when we maybe should not have.

RBritt
05-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Coastal Carolina plays in the same park that Kenny Powers and the Myrtle Beach Mermen play in?