PDA

View Full Version : Coach Turner reconfirms James has a long way to go.

Leroy Jenkins
08-08-2014, 06:24 PM
I think you get a better feel for people's tone and meaning watching video, something that is lacking in the written word. I think you can tell more from watching this than reading an article. Coach Turner does not talk like a man who engages in "coach-speak". The last minute of the interview seems brutally honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBgmO7gie4

Political Hack
08-08-2014, 06:32 PM
I like Turner, but he's got to handle NJ different than he handles PJ or Eulls. They're very different people. If Nick James doesn't excel and dominate this year, it's on the coaches. I'm sorry, but sometimes you have to babysit some of these guys. It is what it is. That's why coaches get paid the big bucks.

MSUDawg4Life
08-08-2014, 06:42 PM
I like Turner, but he's got to handle NJ different than he handles PJ or Eulls. They're very different people. If Nick James doesn't excel and dominate this year, it's on the coaches. I'm sorry, but sometimes you have to babysit some of these guys. It is what it is. That's why coaches get paid the big bucks.

On the coaches? I think not. Nick better use all of that God-given talent and play well. If he doesn't, that's on him. Period. This is not kindergarten. Nobody needs to babysit him.

CadaverDawg
08-08-2014, 07:07 PM
It's crazy that Nick is still a Soph.

I wish he'd step up, bc Turner won't throw him a bone. And without PT, he will end up quitting or transferring. I'm pulling for the guy. Still plenty of time to be a stud. He's gotta make that decision between the ears, we all know the talent is there

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2014, 07:10 PM

I can't agree with this. Nick James is accountable for himself. Coaches can only motivate and put a player in position to make a play. Coaches can't make a kid love football, and I think that is what we are dealing with here. We are dealing with a very talented young man that simply doesn't love football enough perform at a high level, not matter what the coaches do.

Political Hack
08-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Coaches accountable for Wins, losses, player discipline, program status, recruiting, etc... but not for developing players. Got it. Thanks guys.

Homedawg
08-08-2014, 07:15 PM

I usually agree w u hack, but the reason he's still here is because we babysit his ass. There is only so much u can do. At some point it's on the kid. Can't turn this into the nutt era in oxford where u just do wtf u want to do. He has super ability, but we can't make him drink- only lead him to the water.

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Coaches accountable for Wins, losses, player discipline, program status, recruiting, etc... but not for developing players. Got it. Thanks guys.

This is absurd. Have you ever coached? Human beings are limited. It's why really good parents sometimes raise really crappy kids. A coach can't make a player love football. That is a personal decision.

Nick James has come a long way, and the coaches are developing him, but it's going to be really tough for him to get over the hump, unless he loves playing football. Coaches can't make him do it. Players aren't robots.

smootness
08-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Of course they're responsible for developing players, and they've done a fantastic job of it. And great coaches are generally able to push the right buttons on different kinds of personalities.

But no coach can ever make it work across the board for everybody. For some people, there's nothing you can do. To act like babysitting James would make him blossom into an elite football player is absurd. I get that there are nuances, and you can't just treat everybody the exact same, but a coach can't force or convince anybody to do anything.

Yeah, you've developed numerous guys into much more than anyone ever thought possible, but if Nick James doesn't become a stud, then you failed.

Political Hack
08-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Quay is gone and James isn't living up to expectations under Turner. two five stars that OUR COACHES CHOSE to recruit and sign. Period. End of story. Develop them, or your failed.

smootness
08-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Quay is gone and James isn't living up to expectations under Turner. two five stars that OUR COACHES CHOSE to recruit and sign. Period. End of story. Develop them, or your failed.

Do you think Quay Evans would have become anything under Nick Saban?

smootness
08-08-2014, 07:32 PM
And just for clarification, this isn't him reconfirming his original point; this is the original interview.

I don't think he's not being honest, I just think he's a tough coach who expects a certain level, and he's saying he needs to give more. It could be that once James gets a taste of success, it pushes him over the edge to giving it everything he has.

But the fact that he's still on the team, still working, and Turner is willing to talk about him is a good sign.

War Machine Dawg
08-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Damn, we just had this fight a day or two ago. Turner is the ultimate coach speak coach on staff. Hell, just last fall camp he said CJ was just ok and had a long way to go. All CJ did was become our best DT and make a name for himself as one of the rising stars in the SEC. NJ will be just fine. If he wasn't doing what the coaches asked of him, he'd be gone. Ask Quay Evans.

Coach34
08-08-2014, 07:49 PM
This is absurd. Have you ever coached? .

I have- and the truth is somewhere in the middle of all this.

You have to be creative and find different ways to motivate. Turner is a hardass, no nonsense guy. At the same time- there are guys that simply cant be reached no matter what you do. Humans are an interesting bunch and why there have been millions of books written about them.

Things we know as fact:

Turner is a really good DL coach
Nick James has NFL ability but a 10 cent head

It will be a damn shame if we dont get something out of him

Political Hack
08-08-2014, 07:56 PM
I have- and the truth is somewhere in the middle of all this.

You have to be creative and find different ways to motivate. Turner is a hardass, no nonsense guy. At the same time- there are guys that simply cant be reached no matter what you do. Humans are an interesting bunch and why there have been millions of books written about them.

Things we know as fact:

Turner is a really good DL coach
Nick James has NFL ability but a 10 cent head

It will be a damn shame if we dont get something out of him

that's my issue. we damn sure better get at least 1 good year out of him or else the coaches failed in their evaluation, development, and retention of him. I think he's going to surprise people. He's a freak of an athlete at 300+ pounds. If you can't work with that, after recruiting and signing him, it's on the staff.

Quay, it's on him. he was dismissed after too much BS.

chainedup_Dawg
08-08-2014, 08:10 PM

The coaches job is to put his players in a position to succeed. You can ride a kid and push him all you want but if he doesn't execute and make the most of his opportunity it's nobody's fault but his own.

mic
08-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Let's wait a little while longer before we start throwing dirt on Nick. He did make it thru about 6 months with little to none contact with the team. He looked good to me in the spring. And it looks like he is the best shape he has been in since he has been here..

Political Hack
08-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Let's wait a little while longer before we start throwing dirt on Nick. He did make it thru about 6 months with little to none contact with the team. He looked good to me in the spring. And it looks like he is the best shape he has been in since he has been here..

I think so too.

Johnson85
08-08-2014, 08:27 PM
that's my issue. we damn sure better get at least 1 good year out of him or else the coaches failed in their evaluation, development, and retention of him. I think he's going to surprise people. He's a freak of an athlete at 300+ pounds. If you can't work with that, after recruiting and signing him, it's on the staff.

By your standard coaches should never take calculated risks. Both quay and nick wet question marks as far as attitude. It will be bad if they don't get anything out of either, but doesn't mean they failed. Talked to several peoples that knew nick James in high school that are shocked he's worked hard enough to make it this far. I don't think it's on throw he's if the switch never flips for him.

Raytoraid83
08-08-2014, 08:40 PM
This doesn't look like a guy who doesn't love the game.
https://vine.co/v/M9WnbdEQ5Jv

https://vine.co/v/M9H9eU5aw6E

Political Hack
08-08-2014, 08:54 PM
This doesn't look like a guy who doesn't love the game.
https://vine.co/v/M9WnbdEQ5Jv

https://vine.co/v/M9H9eU5aw6E

that's what's killing me. the guy LOVES football. Loves it. Eats drinks and breaths it. If you can't find a way to work with that, it's on you.

Raytoraid83
08-08-2014, 08:58 PM
that's what's killing me. the guy LOVES football. Loves it. Eats drinks and breaths it. If you can't find a way to work with that, it's on you.

Hopefully, like people have mentioned, it's just Turner downplaying him. If James can build some confidence against Southern, UAB, and USA to start the season look out...

DancingRabbit
08-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Hopefully, like people have mentioned, it's just Turner downplaying him. If James can build some confidence against Southern, UAB, and USA to start the season look out...

Yeah, I'm hoping the same thing.

Didn't Chris Jones say the other day that Nick James was his room-mate? If that's the case I'm feeling a little better about things.

MSUDawg4Life
08-08-2014, 09:27 PM

There's nobody on the team I'm rooting for more than Nick James. I think Nick is the difference between us having a very good defense and a great defense. I'd love to see him making millions in the NFL in a couple years. My point is simply that if Nick doesn't reach his potential it won't be Coach Turner's fault.

smootness
08-08-2014, 09:57 PM

This makes no sense.

mparkerfd20
08-08-2014, 10:04 PM

Agree 100%.

RichardHarrow
08-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Saying that it's on the coaches is bull shit. Turner is a D-line coach, not Dr. Phil. He's not a magician, he's a D-line coach. There are limitations on what he can do. If he has to babysit Nick, it isn't fair to the other players that actually have their shit together and are at practice every day busting their ass to get better, not simply going through the motions to keep a scholarship. I want nothing more than for Nick to be the player that he has the potential to be, but to say that if he doesn't reach those expectations that it's on his coach is garbage.

And to say that a player like that should have been screened out during the recruiting process....get outta here. You don't pass on a kid like that.

dawgoneyall
08-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Yes and no.

Think Sidney. Nothing or no coach could have changed the situation.

SDDawg
08-09-2014, 12:18 AM
I think James is going to shine this year in specific situations, not on every down though. I think Hack has it right- at this point, it's on the coaches. The kid got into shape, has showed up well in the spring and is ready to get out there and do some damage. Manage him, keep his head on football and put him in situations where he can succeed. If that happens, it's a win/win.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Dear Nick James,

Please destroy plays all year long, preferably beginning in the first game, so we don't ever have to have this conversation again. For all things holy, please save us from having this discussion.

You fan that is full of hope,

Shotgun

Leroy Jenkins
08-09-2014, 05:40 AM
Dear Nick James,

Please destroy plays all year long, preferably beginning in the first game, so we don't ever have to have this conversation again. For all things holy, please save us from having this discussion.

You fan that is full of hope,

Shotgun

Even if your prayer is answered..... we will complain about why he couldn't perform his first few years. MSU fans can find the cloud in the silver lining.

Political Hack
08-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Yes and no.

Think Sidney. Nothing or no coach could have changed the situation.

I can agree with that. He was beyond help, but at the same time, they never should've signed him.

DapperDawg
08-09-2014, 07:41 AM
When you have a supreme talent with maturity issues, like James or Sidney, you take a chance on him. These are 17 and 18 year old guys, so you take a chance on them maturing and reaching their potentials. It's high risk, high reward. But as others have said, the ultimate responsibility of maturity is up to the player. I don't agree that it's the coaches' fault if the light doesn't turn on for a player, but I agree that it's on them for recruiting the guy. If they weren't implementing some level of risk in the recruiting process by going after some of these guys, we'd complain about who we are recruiting. Basically, take some risks, but don't make it your recruiting strategy, a la Ole Miss.

Schultzy
08-09-2014, 07:48 AM
When you have a supreme talent with maturity issues, like James or Sidney, you take a chance on him. These are 17 and 18 year old guys, so you take a chance on them maturing and reaching their potentials. It's high risk, high reward. But as others have said, the ultimate responsibility of maturity is up to the player. I don't agree that it's the coaches' fault if the light doesn't turn on for a player, but I agree that it's on them for recruiting the guy. If they weren't implementing some level of risk in the recruiting process by going after some of these guys, we'd complain about who we are recruiting. Basically, take some risks, but don't make it your recruiting strategy, a la Ole Miss.
Well put.

BeastMan
08-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Damn, we just had this fight a day or two ago. Turner is the ultimate coach speak coach on staff. Hell, just last fall camp he said CJ was just ok and had a long way to go. All CJ did was become our best DT and make a name for himself as one of the rising stars in the SEC. NJ will be just fine. If he wasn't doing what the coaches asked of him, he'd be gone. Ask Quay Evans.

This is a good point.

WinningIsRelentless
08-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Sometimes you have to put kids in the game on a regular basis even if they still aren't mature to try and mature them that way. The last thing nick wants is to look like a idiot in the field and if he isn't mature it will happen sooner rather than later and probably wake him up.

Political Hack
08-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Sometimes you have to put kids in the game on a regular basis even if they still aren't mature to try and mature them that way. The last thing nick wants is to look like a idiot in the field and if he isn't mature it will happen sooner rather than later and probably wake him up.

some kids are gamers but have a "block" during practice or in meetings. I know kids that will go through a whole bucket of balls without getting a hit at the batting cage... and seen that same kid go an entire baseball season with only striking out 2-3 times. It makes no sense to me, but it is what it is. They're not batting 9th just because they don't get it in the cage. James is never going to be the head of the meeting room during film sessions. Just not going to happen, but if he wreaks havoc during a game that's a crappy excuse for them not playing him as many snaps as he can handle it.

in fact, I'd play him 90% of snaps during garbage time and more than 50% before them during the first 3 games just to get him in shape for the sec schedule. If they don't play him a ton early, the writing is on the wall that they don't intend on using he 330 pound wreaking ball we have sitting on the bench.

Churchill
08-09-2014, 08:52 AM
We`ve always had a ton of people who refuse to hold coaches accountable. I have no idea if we have more or less than other schools but it seems we have more than our share. Every successful coach at the D1 level has played psychiatrist, psychologist and fill-in parent at some point in their career. The good coaches always take the most pride in the players they had to develop mentally as much or more than physically. I don`t claim to know what`s going on on a daily basis with NJ but I think Hack is dead on with this one. I think James can be "developed" with the right handling.

smootness
08-09-2014, 11:18 AM
We`ve always had a ton of people who refuse to hold coaches accountable. I have no idea if we have more or less than other schools but it seems we have more than our share. Every successful coach at the D1 level has played psychiatrist, psychologist and fill-in parent at some point in their career. The good coaches always take the most pride in the players they had to develop mentally as much or more than physically. I don`t claim to know what`s going on on a daily basis with NJ but I think Hack is dead on with this one. I think James can be "developed" with the right handling.

No one's saying the coaches are above reproach. But ours have proven they can develop talent and develop leaders. Suggesting that if one guy doesn't have the light come on while a ton more do, then it's 'on the coaches' is absurd.

Do you think all of our players show up with their heads on straight? I guarantee you that some of our best guys and best leaders have had to have some adjusting along the way. But we do generally look for character and leadership ability in our recruits. When you do that, it allows you to take a couple of chances on guys knowing that even in a worst-case scenario, they won't ruin the locker room. But that doesn't mean a good coach can take anybody and turn them around.

Every program and coach in the country has had guys that never got it, regardless of talent level. We have had extremely few. So I'm not going to jump on our coaches if we have one or two.

CadaverDawg
08-09-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm really torn on the whole Nick James debate.

On one hand, you want to shake the shit out of Nick and tell him to wake up before he wastes his talent. He could be a millionaire playing football.

On the other hand, you want to see Turner and Mullen try a different type of motivation...put the son of a gun on the field and let him get a taste of the spotlight. It has been so long since James has played a real, meaningful, snap, that you're right....he has probably forgotten how much he really loves football. I think Hack is right in a lot of ways, because Nick is obviously not the same type of player, maturity wise, as a Chris Jones. So try something different. If you put James in there early this season and he starts to see how he can blow up opponents and be a major factor for a SEC defense, that might be all the motivation he needs to turn in to the animal we think he is.

But then again, I don't want us to throw James out there and him blow an assignment and cost us a game either. So I can see it both ways.

So ultimately, I do not think it's a "failure" by Turner if James doesn't pan out.....but I do think he can be handled a little differently. Ultimately it is James' decision to do the necessary things to get on the field....but the coaches have to give him a reason and opportunity to make the right one. If he thinks regardless of what he does at this point, Turner won't give him playing time, why go out there anymore?

Political Hack
08-09-2014, 11:26 AM
No one's saying the coaches are above reproach. But ours have proven they can develop talent and develop leaders. Suggesting that if one guy doesn't have the light come on while a ton more do, then it's 'on the coaches' is absurd.

Do you think all of our players show up with their heads on straight? I guarantee you that some of our best guys and best leaders have had to have some adjusting along the way. But we do generally look for character and leadership ability in our recruits. When you do that, it allows you to take a couple of chances on guys knowing that even in a worst-case scenario, they won't ruin the locker room. But that doesn't mean a good coach can take anybody and turn them around.

Every program and coach in the country has had guys that never got it, regardless of talent level. We have had extremely few. So I'm not going to jump on our coaches if we have one or two.

compare Dak's coach and family atmosphere to James's coach and family atmosphere. One had a hard ass coach that hated him and sent him to alternative school and the other was a father figure. One was treated "as the program" while the other was treated "as a nuesance to the program." in short, one grew up as the answer and the other was the problem. To say our staff is succeeding with all players because they succeed with guys like Dak is extremely short sided. Based on what I've seen from Turner, we've lost Quay, lost Washington, Autry was largely unproductive, Eulls and PJ haven't lived up to expectations, and now he's ripping James, a kid that has a fragile ego, in public. it's pretty apparent to me that it's being mismanaged.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2014, 11:31 AM
We`ve always had a ton of people who refuse to hold coaches accountable.

I'll start holding Turner accountable when our defensive isn't one of the best in SEC. Until then or until Nick performs to his talent level, I'll just consider Nick a mirage of hope.

Political Hack
08-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I'll start holding Turner accountable when our defensive isn't one of the best in SEC. Until then or until Nick performs to his talent level, I'll just consider Nick a mirage of hope.

no. I demand you him accountable now.

MSUDawg4Life
08-09-2014, 11:37 AM
compare Dak's coach and family atmosphere to James's coach and family atmosphere. One had a hard ass coach that hated him and sent him to alternative school and the other was a father figure. One was treated "as the program" while the other was treated "as a nuesance to the program." in short, one grew up as the answer and the other was the problem. To say our staff is succeeding with all players because they succeed with guys like Dak is extremely short sided. Based on what I've seen from Turner, we've lost Quay, lost Washington, Autry was largely unproductive, Eulls and PJ haven't lived up to expectations, and now he's ripping James, a kid that has a fragile ego, in public. it's pretty apparent to me that it's being mismanaged.

Apparent? You don't have any insight into how Nick James or any other player is being managed. You have no clue what the expectations are, where they are excelling or where they are falling short. You're speculating at best.

Political Hack
08-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Apparent? You don't have any insight into how Nick James or any other player is being managed. You have no clue what the expectations are, where they are excelling or where they are falling short. You're speculating at best.

that's for speculating on my level of speculation.

MSUDawg4Life
08-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Dude, you don't know shit. You don't know any more than the rest of us.

Political Hack
08-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Dude, you don't know shit. You don't know any more than the rest of us.

Who's the coolest guy on the message board?

MSUDawg4Life!!!

Congrats buddy. you're the big winner today.

Todd4State
08-09-2014, 12:43 PM

It's hard to argue with this.

Ultimately coaches are dealing with people and you can't manage everyone the same.

Bill Parcells used to talk about how he knew which guys he could yell at and which ones needed to be patted on the back.

The Federalist Engineer
08-09-2014, 02:58 PM

If you mean "development" as giving players desire, commitment, character, and professionalism, then that's on the individual. The coaches should screen for that in recruiting, Ex-Louisville recruiting coordinator used the term "coach killer" for the kids without desire and professionalism.

If you mean "development" as teaching: technique, reads, workout methods, and position refinement; who else but coaches can do that?

HancockCountyDog
08-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Anyone from the Coast that knows anything about nick James, knows that none of this is surprising. Coach turner is doing everything he can with a borderline impossible situation.

Actually I hated the news that Chris jones was James' roommate.

War Machine Dawg
08-09-2014, 06:43 PM

no. I demand you him accountable now.

http://i.imgur.com/2YJ5inX.gif

Homedawg
08-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping the same thing.

Didn't Chris Jones say the other day that Nick James was his room-mate? If that's the case I'm feeling a little better about things.

Even better, we can blame Chris jones if nick James fails****