PDA

View Full Version : Why will we be better

DudyDawg
08-08-2014, 03:51 AM
I know a lot of us think we will be better. But I want to know why. Other than "we have X number of guys coming back" or "Dak". What are the little reasons we will be a better team than last year, and why we will be a really good team.

Gun to my head, I think it's the secondary. Cox at safety, Jamerson/Love/Redmond and more at corner. Hughes back. Market challenging him. I think the big difference for us will be the secondary. They are athletic and talented, and will be very solid IMO (we all know about the front 7). So, who/where will make us a better team than last year

Coach34
08-08-2014, 07:49 AM
1. QB returns experienced and is better
2. RB's will be more physical
3. WR 2-deep is back intact and the youth got experience
4. One of best LB groups in the SEC
5. One of the best DL's in the SEC
6. Veteran Secondary with playmakers and depth
7. Quality punter
8. Quality Leadership
9. Good schedule with swing games at home mostly
10. Larger and louder crowds at home

MetEdDawg
08-08-2014, 07:57 AM
1) Experience in the trenches is gonna be huge. Lot of games played by this OL and they are old. Big plus for us
2) Depth and experience at CB. We've played a lot of 4-3 in the past against spread teams with our lack of quality depth at CB. We can roll 4 or 5 deep there before I truly get concerned about skill.
3) Perfect QB perfect system. Dak was built for this offense and this offense was built for Dak.
4) Right guy in charge of calling plays. Should have happened a while back but Mullen calling plays will help a lot

missouridawg
08-08-2014, 08:12 AM
I know a lot of us think we will be better. But I want to know why. Other than "we have X number of guys coming back" or "Dak". What are the little reasons we will be a better team than last year, and why we will be a really good team.

Gun to my head, I think it's the secondary. Cox at safety, Jamerson/Love/Redmond and more at corner. Hughes back. Market challenging him. I think the big difference for us will be the secondary. They are athletic and talented, and will be very solid IMO (we all know about the front 7). So, who/where will make us a better team than last year

We return the 3rd most experience in the entire NCAA. Sure, if you look at last year and our record alone, that probably wouldn't excite you.

We lost TR, LDP, Nickoe, Skinner, Gabe, and Autry. Of those 6 starters, the only one I'll miss is Gabe. Nickoe has some great moments, but overall he was just a solid player. I think we're going to like Justin Cox better back there. Autry is going to be replaced with Ryan Brown, AJ Jefferson, and Chris Jones in some fashion, which is a push at worst. Skinner is being replaced by Bennie Brown (upgrade). LDP is being replaced by Josh Robinson (if he can block, it's a big upgrade). TR is being replaced by a guy who's getting some Heisman love.

The only loss that is a major concern is Gabe Jackson. If Clayborn can be serviceable and we avoid injuries on the O-Line (and at QB), we should be a pretty solid team. The depth between the 1s and 2s across the entire team is something we've never had. Our 1st and 2nd team could both win games in the SEC alone.

To me, I think you can sum up my feelings on this season with one sentence, because our defense has rarely been the problem. Our offense is going to have an identity this year because we don't have two different styles of play. TR is a great bulldog and sacrificed a lot for our university... but he didn't fit our offense. Dak and Damian (and the two freshman) all fit what Dan likes to do.

Oh yea, Dan is calling plays and running the offense, instead of focusing on special teams. Upgrade.

Johnson85
08-08-2014, 08:18 AM
It's basically what Bobby Bowden said, Jimmy's and Joes are more important than X's and O's.

QB -- (Hopefully) Healthy and more experienced Dak and Damien > Banged up Tyler and Dak and tFr Damien
RB -- Robinson > Perkins
OL -- ??? Loss of Gabe and Siddoway v. gaining Malone, more experienced clayborne, ???
WR -- More experience is better than less experience
DL -- More experience offsets loss of Autry
LB -- More expereence offsets loss
CB -- More experience is better
S -- Cox is an upgrade in athleticism, but still a possible drop off overall, though it shouldn't be big.

Barring injury, the only significant question mark we have is replacing Gabe Jackson, and to a lesser extent, Siddoway. And some of that likely downgrade will be offset by having Robinson running instead of perk and also by having personnel that better fits what Mullen is good at as far as playcalling goes. Saftey may take a slight downgrade, and it's possible our pass rush will not get better. Pretty much every other position will be an upgrade in talent or experience.

If our one significant question mark was anywhere other than the offensive line, I would expect a huge improvement this year. Since it's on the offensive line, we really have to have Clayborne be a stud and have to have Senior or Warren step up and have the season that would make them a borderline draft pick, like Siddoway was projected to be before the B&E incident.

SapperDawg
08-08-2014, 08:39 AM
We return the 3rd most experience in the entire NCAA. Sure, if you look at last year and our record alone, that probably wouldn't excite you.

Data crunchers - I would be interested in seeing some analysis on this point. Over the last several years, what does returning experience mean in the record books? Noting there are many additional qualitative and quantitative analysis items could be added to this, I think the normalizing factor to start with would be strength of schedule.

Anyone willing to take this on?

jumbo
08-08-2014, 08:43 AM
1) No more QB/system mismatch with Tyler. I love the kid and what he gave for us, but Dak is the perfect fit for Dan's offense.
2) No more switching between QBs. This is Dak's team now.
3) WR Depth.
4) Geoff Collins' D.
5) Favorable schedule

Bo Darville
08-08-2014, 09:51 AM
1. QB returns experienced and is better
2. RB's will be more physical
3. WR 2-deep is back intact and the youth got experience
4. One of best LB groups in the SEC
5. One of the best DL's in the SEC
6. Veteran Secondary with playmakers and depth
7. Quality punter
8. Quality Leadership
9. Good schedule with swing games at home mostly
10. Larger and louder crowds at home

Agree with all of this. Look at our depth chart losses. Not many guys left us. Look around the league. Manziel, Matthews and Evans at A&M. Quarterbacks at LSU and Bama. Many teams lost some critical personnel.
We did not. We lost 3 guys on the 2-deep defense (whitley, skinner, and autry). On offense we lost Russell, Gabe, Siddoway, and Perkins. I love them all, but they can be replaced.

I think 8, 9 and 10 on coach's list are often overlooked. Keep in mind also that Dak just really fits what we do. He fits better than any QB in years.

DudyDawg
08-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Data crunchers - I would be interested in seeing some analysis on this point. Over the last several years, what does returning experience mean in the record books? Noting there are many additional qualitative and quantitative analysis items could be added to this, I think the normalizing factor to start with would be strength of schedule.

Anyone willing to take this on?

I agree, I would like to see that too.

maroonmania
08-08-2014, 11:10 AM
1) No more QB/system mismatch with Tyler. I love the kid and what he gave for us, but Dak is the perfect fit for Dan's offense.
4) Geoff Collins' D with experience, talent and depth.

^^^ THESE are the 2 big differences from any of Mullen's prior teams. Having a big time defense with depth and a QB who is a vocal leader and can both run and throw very well.

CadaverDawg
08-08-2014, 11:35 AM
I think we'll be far improved, but I also feel like additional success will come from our opponents as well.

First of all, there is no Oklahoma State.

Second, does anybody remember why we lost to LSU? We lost to them because they had an experienced NFL QB that was putting balls on the money, and 2 NFL WR's going up and making NfL catches on NFL throws. And let's not forgot our inexperienced secondary at that point in the season...no Banks, Slay, Broomfield, or Hughes. Those things are ALL gone this year.

Bama had an experienced Heisman type QB that absolutely did not make mistakes to cost his team. That is gone this year.

A&M had a Heisman winner at QB, and we were shuffling QB's at Their place. That is gone this year.

Auburn was pulling diamonds out of their doodoo last year. That will be gone this year (surely).

South Carolina was right after Dak's mother passed, and they were just flat out good and it was at their place. We dont even play them this year....we play UK and Vandy instead. #Winning

I just dont think people realize what having an experienced, NFL type, QB means to a team. Guys like McCarron, Mettenberger, Shaw, Murray, Manziel, etc... Rarely did anything to hurt their team's chances, but always gave them an added advantage. Those guys are all gone this year, and we have the best defense in the SEC. If things go how I think they'll go....our defense is going to feast on these newby QB's. Especially after having to deal with all of those veterans last year. That's why the returning players is such a big deal for us. If our guys learned how to defend Mett, McCarron, Manziel, Shaw, Landry, Beckham, Mike Evans, etc, etc, last year....it's going to be like facing a flame thrower after spending all off season practicing with a weighted bat this year. We should be much better prepared to not only handle it, but kick its ass IMO.

DudyDawg
08-08-2014, 11:46 AM
I agree. All of our young defenders had somewhat of a trial by fire last year. And they did pretty well. I can't wait to see them be the fire trying these rookie QBs. Even bigger, I think most of those teams (maybe not Bama or LSU) are teams that we can dominate in the box. And if you can't run, you HAVE to pass. And when you HAVE to pass, you're in trouble, especially with young a QB

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2014, 11:53 AM
People also need to realize that Dak hasn't really played all that much on a consistent week to week basis. He has shown the ability to do great things, but has never had the opportunity to gain chemistry and timing with his receivers.

Don't under estimate the benefit of Dak being the QB week in and week out, and how that will benefit his play.

EAVdog
08-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Offensive cohesiveness. Dak, Damian, Nick, Staley will all be running the true Utah Spread read option. The Offense that Brian Johnson ran, Tebow ran, etc... Mullen will call plays. No extra variations for the QB to learn or the OL to vary their protections.

missouridawg
08-08-2014, 12:59 PM
People also need to realize that Dak hasn't really played all that much on a consistent week to week basis. He has shown the ability to do great things, but has never had the opportunity to gain chemistry and timing with his receivers.

Don't under estimate the benefit of Dak being the QB week in and week out, and how that will benefit his play.

Furthermore, the fact that he participated the entire spring/summer should also help too. Last year, he sat out until fall camp because of the toe problem, if I recall correctly.

1bigdawg
08-08-2014, 01:34 PM
1) A cohesive offensive unit with QBs with the same style. All our receivers back is a plus also.

2) A deep and experienced defense. I am not sure other teams are not as good as our starters, but I don't believe anyone has the talented, experienced depth we do.

3) Senior leadership. Last year our senior a) could not stay healthy or b) were not leaders.

4) A unified coaching staff. For the first time in the Mullen era all of the coaches have confidence in each other.

5) The team feels like a family and will play for each other also.

coastie
08-08-2014, 01:51 PM
I really think it comes down to the strength of our defensive line and putting the offense on Dak's shoulders and letting him carry us

gtowndawg
08-08-2014, 01:57 PM

I think he wins the job after a few games and we win a game somewhere down the line because of it. I think it's easily our biggest room for improvement.

DudyDawg
08-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Furthermore, the fact that he participated the entire spring/summer should also help too. Last year, he sat out until fall camp because of the toe problem, if I recall correctly.

Yup. Think that's one of the biggest things for him. Full offseason of first team snaps. Creates that continuity you need to know where your receivers will be

DudyDawg
08-08-2014, 01:58 PM
I think he wins the job after a few games and we win a game somewhere down the line because of it. I think it's easily our biggest room for improvement.

Certainly can't get much worse haha

Hypnodawg
08-08-2014, 02:14 PM
When the hell do we take the field!?!?!! I'm ready for some FOOTBALL!

Reason2succeed
08-08-2014, 11:21 PM
SCHEDULE!!! We will be better but even last year's team would have won 9 games with this schedule. Oklahoma State >>>>USM and South Carolina>>>Vanderbilt

DudyDawg
08-09-2014, 02:54 AM
SCHEDULE!!! We will be better but even last year's team would have won 9 games with this schedule. Oklahoma State >>>>USM and South Carolina>>>Vanderbilt

Agreed there.