PDA

View Full Version : Who will be on our 27 man SEC roster for the SEC tourney and Regional?

601Dawg
05-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Im sure some of you guys know but Im going to try to guess.

C- Ammo and Slaughter
1B- Rea
2nd- Pirtle and Britton
SS- Frazier, Kyle Hann
3rd- Detz and Frost
OF- Renfroe, CT, Hendo, Armstrong, Robson
DH- Porter

Pitchers
Graveman, Pollo, Lindgren (Starters)
RHP- Gentry, Bracewell, Fitts, Norris, Evan Mitchell, Holder, Will Cox
LHP- Ross Mitchell, Girado,

I could only come up with 26 with both Preston Brown and Hann being question marks. Who am I leaving out.
Also, in the regional it may only be 25 on the roster, not sure if the NCAA set the limit at 25, but I know the SEC is 27

ETA: Added Porter and Will Cox that should put us at 27

Bo Darville
05-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Shelly and Trey Porter.

601Dawg
05-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Shelly and Trey Porter.

Forgot all about Trey Porter, him not being in the lineup lately has made me forget about him.

I dont think Shelly is on the travel roster, if he is Butch must have ZERO confidence in the kid I dont think he has pitched since March.

engie
05-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Shelley(hopefully) most likely.

Goat Holder
05-20-2013, 10:37 AM
if he is Butch must have ZERO confidence in the kid I dont think he has pitched since March.

Where do some of you come up with this shit? Do you really think in completely extreme terms like this? Good Lord. The guy is a freshman. They threw him earlier to see what he could do. Him not playing since then is probably a combination of him not being completely ready to go, plus we have one of the deepest pitching staffs in the country. That's literally it. It's not that there's a conspiracy, and it's not that he sucks.

It's more that you are the typical MSU fan.

engie
05-20-2013, 10:38 AM
I dont think Shelly is on the travel roster, if he is Butch must have ZERO confidence in the kid I dont think he has pitched since March.

Travel roster was 25-man as well. Seems strange to me based on what Shelley has shown us in games, where he's been prettymuch lights out in a limited role. Seems like we've mostly wasted this year for him when he could have redshirted...

601Dawg
05-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Where do some of you come up with this shit? Do you really think in completely extreme terms like this? Good Lord. The guy is a freshman. They threw him earlier to see what he could do. Him not playing since then is probably a combination of him not being completely ready to go, plus we have one of the deepest pitching staffs in the country. That's literally it. It's not that there's a conspiracy, and it's not that he sucks.

It's more that you are the typical MSU fan.

I come up with it from the fact that he hasn't pitched since early March, had not pitched in ANY SEC games, and hasn't even pitched any midweek games recently. If we aren't going to pitch him, I'd rather bring a position player like Flair or Fullerton. JMHO

601Dawg
05-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Travel roster was 25-man as well. Seems strange to me based on what Shelley has shown us in games, where he's been prettymuch lights out in a limited role. Seems like we've mostly wasted this year for him when he could have redshirted...

SEC travel roster is 27 Engie as of 2010

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ncaa%20baseball%20travel%20roster%20limit&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CFEQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fportal.ksba.org%2Fpublic%2FMeetin g%2FAttachments%2FDisplayAttachment.aspx%3FAttachm entID%3D126275&ei=gESaUdDiDITQ9ASGuoCACA&usg=AFQjCNG2vpj7HvBP63APua7_vhuna_axPg&sig2=N3pLndZcNB3ZE-geye5yVA

maroonmania
05-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Don't know about Shelley but Will Cox should be on there.

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Im sure some of you guys know but Im going to try to guess.

C- Ammo and Slaughter
1B- Rea
2nd- Pirtle and Britton
SS- Frazier
3rd- Detz and Frost
OF- Renfroe, CT, Hendo, Armstrong, Robson
DH- Porter

Pitchers
Graveman, Pollo, Lindgren (Starters)
RHP- Gentry, Bracewell, Fitts, Norris, Evan Mitchell, Holder, Will Cox, Preston Brown???
LHP- Ross Mitchell, Girado,

I could only come up with 26 with both Preston Brown and Hann being question marks. Who am I leaving out.
Also, in the regional it may only be 25 on the roster, not sure if the NCAA set the limit at 25, but I know the SEC is 27

ETA: Added Porter and Will Cox that should put us at 27

Add Hann. He's been a mainstay on sec weekends.

601Dawg
05-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Add Hann. He's been a mainstay on sec weekends.

May need to take off Preston Brown then.

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Best of my knowledge Shelly hasn't been on a sec roster all year. I know he hasn't been on the last 5-6. Doubt he was prior to that.

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 11:24 AM

Sec travel roster is 27.

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 11:25 AM
May need to take off Preston Brown then.

I think that's what they did a couple of weeks back. They added britton- who hadn't been on it adds brown came off. Now for a tourney, that could change bc of needing another arm. Who knows.

CadaverDawg
05-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Yea, I think Gentry and Shelly will both end up being good pitchers, but I'm curious as to why Gentry has gotten several chances, but not Shelly.

Must be something Butch is seeing in bullpens. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to change arm angles or develop a new pitch or something for Shelly, so they're focusing on that instead of sending him out there to risk losing confidence.

I'm sure there's a good reason we haven't seen him more though. You don't just scrap a guy that has a 0.00 ERA unless there's an injury or you're working on some things. I expect Shelly to play a big role in our staff next year....especially if Woodruff can't get back to his old self. Like Goat said, Shelly's just a freshman, so he's already seen more action than most freshman pitchers in the SEC.

Goat Holder
05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
He can still redshirt this year. Cohen keeps tabs on that closely. He's done it with a few players since he's been here, Henderson being the most notable.

CadaverDawg
05-20-2013, 11:34 AM
He can still redshirt this year. Cohen keeps tabs on that closely. He's done it with a few players since he's been here, Henderson being the most notable.

Oh really? Well damn, then that is what they're doing. I didn't know he could still redshirt. They probably saw the potential he had, but knew we had such a deep staff that he would be wasting a year if they didn't redshirt him. Now he will have 2-3 years on the team where he can actually make a big impact instead of being a late inning midweek guy.

That makes perfect sense now.

By the way, what year is Henderson now? Will he be a Junior next season? Or a Senior?

maroonmania
05-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Does baseball have different redshirting rules than football? I know in football if you play one snap for the year then you lose your redshirt unless you get a medical redshirt granted due to some sort of documented injury.

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
I come up with it from the fact that he hasn't pitched since early March, had not pitched in ANY SEC games, and hasn't even pitched any midweek games recently. If we aren't going to pitch him, I'd rather bring a position player like Flair or Fullerton. JMHO

We are trying to get a medical for Fullerton. And word is flair won't be back next year anyway.

Todd4State
05-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Oh really? Well damn, then that is what they're doing. I didn't know he could still redshirt. They probably saw the potential he had, but knew we had such a deep staff that he would be wasting a year if they didn't redshirt him. Now he will have 2-3 years on the team where he can actually make a big impact instead of being a late inning midweek guy.

That makes perfect sense now.

By the way, what year is Henderson now? Will he be a Junior next season? Or a Senior?

Henderson is a RS sophomore. He will be a junior next year. He is supposed to be getting a medical redahirt.

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Does baseball have different redshirting rules than football? I know in football if you play one snap for the year then you lose your redshirt unless you get a medical redshirt granted due to some sort of documented injury.
No. Same rule. Only way is a medical.

engie
05-20-2013, 12:24 PM

Are you sure about this Goat? Henderson is listed as a jr on our official roster -- and was in the 2010 signing class with Renfroe, CT, Frasier, etc...

Todd4State
05-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Are you sure about this Goat? Henderson is listed as a jr on our official roster -- and was in the 2010 signing class with Renfroe, CT, Frasier, etc...

That's because he can't officially apply for a medical redshirt until his last year.

engie
05-20-2013, 12:56 PM
That's because he can't officially apply for a medical redshirt until his last year.

True -- but what medical excuse can we use on Shelley? He's had no injury that's been diclosed. That's the part in question...

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 01:47 PM
^^^^Just for clarification, this is not accurate. A medical redshirt you don't get after your last year. A medical hardship for an extra year I.e. 6th year, that is given after his last year. There is confusion about the two, but they are different. Why Henderson is listed as a jr I don't know.

Goat Holder
05-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I thought for sure that he had red-shirted that year. Thought I even heard Cohen say it. Also thought I saw him listed as a RSo. Obviously I may be wrong, but for whatever reason I thought I was dead certain that's what happened.

The conversation I remember was that Cohen had said he thought Henderson was going to get drafted after 3 years, so they decided they may as well play him, but then pulled him off the field before the redshirt limit of playing time expired. Said they were going to do that with most freshmen and that they monitored it. Surely I can't be that brain-dead.

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 01:49 PM
True -- but what medical excuse can we use on Shelley? He's had no injury that's been diclosed. That's the part in question...
Shelly doesn't have one that I'm aware of. Not saying it's not possible but I never heard that. Fullerton, has or had some sort of leg injury and hasn't played in a game since and if the injury is legit, per NCAA specs, then he would be eligible.

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 01:51 PM
I thought for sure that he had red-shirted that year. Thought I even heard Cohen say it. Also thought I saw him listed as a RSo. Obviously I may be wrong, but for whatever reason I thought I was dead certain that's what happened.

Goat, you are correct. . Like I said, don't know why he's listed as a jr but we applied for the medical redshirt after his fr year.

engie
05-20-2013, 03:05 PM

The conversation I remember was that Cohen had said he thought Henderson was going to get drafted after 3 years, so they decided they may as well play him, but then pulled him off the field before the redshirt limit of playing time expired. Said they were going to do that with most freshmen and that they monitored it. Surely I can't be that brain-dead.

Redshirting (actual not medical) stuff confuses the hell out of me sometimes. I understand the medical stuff pretty well, I think.

"You can't play at all" -- yet Mettenberger got an actual redshirt at LSU while kneeling on the ball in Oxford and playing in several other early games and actually putting up stats? So, what gives? I truly do not understand the intricacies of it -- and that section of the NCAA rulebook(the part that goes in depth -- beyond the basic stuff) requires a login to view. If anyone can explain it to me in detail, I'd greatly appreciate it...

Homedawg
05-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Redshirting (actual not medical) stuff confuses the hell out of me sometimes. I understand the medical stuff pretty well, I think.

"You can't play at all" -- yet Mettenberger got an actual redshirt at LSU while kneeling on the ball in Oxford and playing in several other early games and actually putting up stats? So, what gives? I truly do not understand the intricacies of it -- and that section of the NCAA rulebook(the part that goes in depth -- beyond the basic stuff) requires a login to view. If anyone can explain it to me in detail, I'd greatly appreciate it...

Ok I'll give it a shot. You can not receive a redshirt if you play in one play. EXCEPT if you are injured and you complete the proper medical documentation. Also, this injury must take place prior to your team completing 20 percent of its scheduled games(which by the way is rounded down, crazy I know) For example, you can play in 3 football games and be eligible. If the injury happens after that, out of luck. The medical redshirt was used way more years ago and I'm sure it's still abused but you do have to have dr. Documentation and then have it approved.
Eta, the rule is now 30% of a completed season not 20. So football would be 4. Baseball would be 17.

State82
05-20-2013, 05:04 PM
We are trying to get a medical for Fullerton. And word is flair won't be back next year anyway.

I had heard the same thing this weekend about Flair and that the staff is trying to find a place for him to land. Really thought he was going to work out for us. Competition is tough at this level though.