PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 gets more autonomy

messageboardsuperhero
08-07-2014, 01:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

Interesting. The gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" is about to get even bigger.

messageboardsuperhero
08-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Kendall Rogers tweets:

"Transfer eligibility, scholarship limitations, etc., will still governed by Power 5 AND @NCAA. Likely increases % of more schollies in bsb."

Could we finally be getting on equal footing with LSU, UGA, Vandy, etc. when it comes to baseball scholarships?

Pokerdawg44
08-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Kendall Rogers tweets:

"Transfer eligibility, scholarship limitations, etc., will still governed by Power 5 AND @NCAA. Likely increases % of more schollies in bsb."

Could we finally be getting on equal footing with LSU, UGA, Vandy, etc. when it comes to baseball scholarships?

Whats the difference in # of scholarships we have compared to the # Lsu vandy and uga have? I knew vandy got more due to something to do with them being a private school or them being able to give out more academic scholarships but I just don't understand how were getting hosed on # of baseball scholarships. This needs to be addressed. Its bigtime bullshit.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Whats the difference in # of scholarships we have compared to the # Lsu vandy and uga have? I knew vandy got more due to something to do with them being a private school or them being able to give out more academic scholarships but I just don't understand how were getting hosed on # of baseball scholarships. This needs to be addressed. Its bigtime bullshit.

Georgia has the Hope Scholarship because of the lottery and I believe Louisiana has something similar.

Todd4State
08-07-2014, 04:00 PM

We have the same amount of athletic scholarships. The 11.7 or whatever it is. You would think I would know off the top of my head...

Anyway, LSU and Georgia can give state funded grants to in state baseball players and then use their athletic money on high end out of state players. That's an advantage because if there is a guy at Northwest Rankin or wherever that is really good it means that LSU can offer that player a full baseball scholarship and it's not going to affect them as much as us because we would take a huge chunk of our alloted scholarship to match LSU.

messageboardsuperhero
08-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Well, evidently Aaron Fitt is saying that scholarship limitations will still be under NCAA control... That blows.

And yes, it is big time bullshit. From my understanding, those schools are allowed to essentially give out much more money to almost all their scholarship players because of either being a private school or having a lottery/Hope scholarship allows you to legally give more academic scholarships- while everyone else has to divide 11.7 scholarships between their entire baseball team. We play in a conference where a few teams get over 2X the scholarship money as us. That would be like forcing every MLB team to work under a $75 million salary cap, but allowing the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers to have $150+ million payrolls.

We're not all playing by the same rules- and that's total bullshit, coming from an organization who talks about its commitment to "fair play" in its mission statement.

messageboardsuperhero
08-07-2014, 04:07 PM
We have the same amount of athletic scholarships. The 11.7 or whatever it is. You would think I would know off the top of my head...

Anyway, LSU and Georgia can give state funded grants to in state baseball players and then use their athletic money on high end out of state players. That's an advantage because if there is a guy at Northwest Rankin or wherever that is really good it means that LSU can offer that player a full baseball scholarship and it's not going to affect them as much as us because we would take a huge chunk of our alloted scholarship to match LSU.

Yes. We all have 11.7 athletic scholarships- but other schools have access to more academic money.

ShotgunDawg
08-07-2014, 04:11 PM
We all have the same number of baseball scholarships, but other schools have scholarship advantages:

LSU - Louisiana has tops that they can use on in-state players who have qualifying grades. Thus allowing them to use more of their baseball money for out of state players

Georgia - Georgia has the Hope Scholarship and it's basically the same as Louisiana's Tops

Mississippi State - We can wave out of state tuition for players that have an ACT score of 26 or higher

VANDY - Vandy can offer need based, full scholarship to any player whose family makes under about $103,000 AND they can offer full scholarship to any minority. This is why Vandy usually has minorities as their position players, and rich kids with names like Carson, Beede, and Walker on their pitching staff. Vandy tries to fill out their lineup with free, no baseball money minorities and use all their 11.7 baseball money on their pitching staff. For these reasons, Vandy is the best college baseball job in the country. You can't beat them in scholarship money.

Todd4State
08-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Kendall Rogers tweets:

If he is correct, it just depends on how much they increase the percentage by. Which at this time is pretty much speculation, BUT if I had to guess the SEC would probably increase their scholarship % up a good bit because SEC baseball is popular in the south. Honestly, I think baseball scholarship increases are inevitable at some point.

There are other things to consider as well- they could increase the roster from 35 to 40 or so, and that is an advantage for us as well.

This is bad news for USM baseball. Even though our recruiting efforts have improved greatly under Cohen and we aren't missing nearly as many baseball prospects, there are still a few that inevitably are going to slip through the cracks just because of the limits. This means that they are going to have to deal with MSU and Ole Miss having a huge advantage over them that is bigger than the one that already exists.

Todd4State
08-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Well, evidently Aaron Fitt is saying that scholarship limitations will still be under NCAA control... That blows.

Right after you got my hopes up.

KB21
08-07-2014, 09:58 PM
With as much talent as there is in Georgia when it comes to baseball players, UGA should never be a bad team. They should be competing for annual conference titles. They have not taken advantage of the HOPE scholarship and the advantage that gives them.