PDA

View Full Version : Im soooo ready to watch us RTGDF

Coach34
08-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Whether you say "golldang" or "gosh damn"...whatever...I want us to lead the SEC in rushing this year. Auburn will contend for that along with LSU who will be conservative and physical. Bama too. But with Dakota and JRob getting 30 carries per game between them- we should roll up some rushing yardage.

HoopsDawg
08-07-2014, 09:47 AM
It will be interesting to see how we use JRob. He had 17 carries vs Arkansas but no more than 8 carries in any other game. Even if you go back and look at his HS stats, rarely did he carry more than 11 or 12 times. I'm not sure he's a 18-20 carry back over 12 games. I think he's going to be a 10-12 touches guy, with Nick, Shump, and Aeries all getting carries here and there. It's going to be a RB by committee approach.

Bully13
08-07-2014, 09:49 AM
if we can keep the opposing defenses honest, in other words, forcing them to respect Dak's arm and our receivers, we very well could lead the SEC in rushing.

I can't wait to also see some of those fake QB draws then Dak takes a step back and dumps it out to a wide open back. yummy.

Coach34
08-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Conversely- if we are running the ball effectively- we will have more big plays in the passing game

Coach34
08-07-2014, 09:58 AM
It will be interesting to see how we use JRob. He had 17 carries vs Arkansas but no more than 8 carries in any other game. Even if you go back and look at his HS stats, rarely did he carry more than 11 or 12 times. I'm not sure he's a 18-20 carry back over 12 games. I think he's going to be a 10-12 touches guy, with Nick, Shump, and Aeries all getting carries here and there. It's going to be a RB by committee approach.

JRob's team won the state championship. He didn't get a lot of carries because they were beating the **** out of their opponents. It's not a coincidence that the game we feed him- he gets 100 yards in one half. As far as his durability- he has yet to be hurt- so why can't he handle a bigger workload?

Pollodawg
08-07-2014, 10:00 AM
JRob is probably the most underrated back in the conference.

HoopsDawg
08-07-2014, 10:06 AM
JRob's team won the state championship. He didn't get a lot of carries because they were beating the **** out of their opponents. It's not a coincidence that the game we feed him- he gets 100 yards in one half. As far as his durability- he has yet to be hurt- so why can't he handle a bigger workload?

He may be able to handle it. He just never has in his career. No coach has asked him to carry a big workload. It's a question worth considering.

We won't lead the conference in rushing. We will have great stats b/c we play 4 dogshit non-conference opponents but we won't be a top rushing team without a lead blocker like AU and LSU use. For some reason, Mullen went away from that after a very successful first 2 years of having Hemphill and Hanrahan lead the way. I see Shumpert playing that role some this year, but only in our shotgun, 2 back set.

Saltydog
08-07-2014, 10:10 AM
one of the strongest players on the team pound for pound.

Coach34
08-07-2014, 10:19 AM
I agree that we need a Thumper on offense more. MoJo ain't a Thumper

PassInterference
08-07-2014, 11:20 AM
I've seen a lot of great 5-6 carry RBs that didn't extrapolate to great 20-25 carry RBs. I won't be shocked if that is the case with J Rob also.

We need a good 2nd RB too. I say split carries with 2 RBs, balanced with 1) letting a guy get into a rhythm, and 2) riding whoever looks hot.

EAVdog
08-07-2014, 11:25 AM
This should be our most complete Offense under Mullen yet. I expect great years from our TE's, RB's, QB, and WR's. I don't think any position is going to dominate, except maybe QB.

Imagine the Relf/Bumphis/Ballard production on steroids.

Lots and lots of steroids.

EAVdog
08-07-2014, 11:26 AM
I've seen a lot of great 5-6 carry RBs that didn't extrapolate to great 20-25 carry RBs. I won't be shocked if that is the case with J Rob also.

We need a good 2nd RB too. I say split carries with 2 RBs, balanced with 1) letting a guy get into a rhythm, and 2) riding whoever looks hot.

Griffin/Sumpert/A. Williams will spell JRob. I don't see a problem.

jimbo352
08-07-2014, 11:30 AM
I sure hope we can run it... Cause people sayin Dak can't hit the broad side of a barn. ******

DapperDawg
08-07-2014, 11:41 AM
I'd rather not see Dak run it as much, to minimize the risk of injury. Even further, I hope he's learned to avoid contact while running. If he goes down, the offense will suffer pretty significantly.

HoopsDawg
08-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I'd rather not see Dak run it as much, to minimize the risk of injury. Even further, I hope he's learned to avoid contact while running. If he goes down, the offense will suffer pretty significantly.

I hope Mullen is smart enough not to call any QB runs in the non-conference. That would basically give Dak 6 offweeks during the year of not running the ball with our 2 bye weeks. Mullen ran Tyler Russell right into that injury against Arkansas last year. It was an Awful, Awful play call on turf with a QB who was already wounded.

blacklistedbully
08-07-2014, 12:11 PM
JRob is 5'9, 215 lbs. There's a shitload of muscle piled into that short frame making him, not only hard to bring down, but sometimes hard to find. And once you do find him, you have to hit that sucker low enough and hard enough to stop him. Unlike LP, he is not going to go down from a pop on the pads, or an arm-tackle. Even hitting him low is a challenge, as it seems a ton of his weight is in his thighs.

War Machine Dawg
08-07-2014, 12:40 PM

I hope Mullen is smart enough not to call any QB runs in the non-conference. That would basically give Dak 6 offweeks during the year of not running the ball with our 2 bye weeks. Mullen ran Tyler Russell right into that injury against Arkansas last year. It was an Awful, Awful play call on turf with a QB who was already wounded.

http://i.imgur.com/2YJ5inX.gif

Coach34
08-07-2014, 12:40 PM

You have to run your offense. Dakota will run less in the non-conference, but he'll still have close to 10 rushes per game in those- maybe as low as 8 per game. I worry about LSU hitting him- not Southern

Also, I know I drink during games, but Russell was hurt on a pass play when his arm was extended when he got hit

War Machine Dawg
08-07-2014, 12:46 PM
You have to run your offense. Dakota will run less in the non-conference, but he'll still have close to 10 rushes per game in those- maybe as low as 8 per game. I worry about LSU hitting him- not Southern

Also, I know I drink during games, but Russell was hurt on a pass play when his arm was extended when he got hit

Exactly. TR got hurt being TR. Stand still on your spot, wait for a WR to break wide ass open before delivering the football. Getting rid of the ball quickly wasn't exactly TR's strength.

Dawg61
08-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Did Florida ever lead the SEC in rushing when Mullen was OC? We will be in the top half of the league in rushing but our passing offense is too effective to lead the league in rushing.

Dawg61
08-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Didn't Russell get hurt vs Ok State trying to run for a first down and then taking a knee to the helmet as he was sliding? I know you're talking about the Arkansas game but the point of limiting how much Dak runs vs OOC is valid. We don't need Dak to run but 4-5 times in those games. Only so many bullets we get every year. Let's save them for the games we need them most.

HoopsDawg
08-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Didn't Russell get hurt vs Ok State trying to run for a first down and then taking a knee to the helmet as he was sliding? I know you're talking about the Arkansas game but the point of limiting how much Dak runs vs OOC is valid. We don't need Dak to run but 4-5 times in those games. Only so many bullets we get every year. Let's save them for the games we need them most.

Yeah, he got banged up a couple of different times. And he did hurt it on a pass against Arkansas and then later in the game Mullen inexplicable called for a QB draw. Tyler got about 6 or 7 yards, but they drove his shoulder into the turf and that was it for the year. He tried to gut it out, but he was toast. We have to be able to establish a run game without Dak. Dak doesn't know how to get down, he's just not built that way. And we need that fckin lead blocker to spring JRob. AU did it beautifully last year with that big white kid.

maroonmania
08-07-2014, 01:19 PM

Exactly, Dak has been far from invincible. The separated shoulder he got in the TA&M game last year that kept him injured most of the last part of the season was on a run I believe and of course he has battled turf toe in the past as well. We don't need Dak running much in games where its not needed.

Dawg61
08-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Exactly, Dak has been far from invincible. The separated shoulder he got in the TA&M game last year that kept him injured most of the last part of the season was on a run I believe and of course he has battled turf toe in the past as well. We don't need Dak running much in games where its not needed.

I'll add that we already know what we've got in Dak. OOC games that we are going to blow out the other team we need to find out whose the true #2 and #3 rbs and the same for the QB position so hopefully we can get big leads early in these games.

Pollodawg
08-07-2014, 01:42 PM
And, as has already been said 10,000 times, that injury to Dak's shoulder was a 1-in-a-million type of deal. It was a fluke, and outlier, and can't be used to gauge his toughness.

Coach34
08-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Dakota didnt have a separated shoulder. It was basically a freak stinger- his nerve didn't respond back like they normally do

Covercorner2
08-07-2014, 01:50 PM
JRob didn't carry the ball 30 times a game in HS because his teammate was Terrance McGee, LSU's starting RB this year (until Fournette unseats him)...

ShotgunDawg
08-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Games aren't played on paper folks. Dak won't run as much in the non-conference games, but you still must present the threat in order for our offense to work. Perhaps by showing the threat to run the ball, the other team's linebackers and D-ends won't pen their ears back to rush Dak, which in turn could allow him to stay healthy. Dak has just as much chance of getting hurt in the pocket, due to being blind sided, as he does running the ball into what he can see.

War Machine Dawg
08-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Yeah, he got banged up a couple of different times. And he did hurt it on a pass against Arkansas and then later in the game Mullen inexplicable called for a QB draw. Tyler got about 6 or 7 yards, but they drove his shoulder into the turf and that was it for the year. He tried to gut it out, but he was toast. We have to be able to establish a run game without Dak. Dak doesn't know how to get down, he's just not built that way. And we need that fckin lead blocker to spring JRob. AU did it beautifully last year with that big white kid.

There is so much FAIL here, I barely know where to start.

1) TR is NOT a running QB. Him getting a knee to the helmet because he either a) won't get down or b) sucks at getting down is very foreseeable. Comparing TR getting hurt while running to Dak getting hurt while running is ridiculous.

2) TR DID NOT get hurt against Arkansas on a draw. Go watch the ****ing game again. He got driven into the ground on his shoulder PASSING the ball. He was in no way, shape, or form running a draw when he separated his shoulder. Period.

3. Dak did not have a separated shoulder. You're mixing up his injury with TR's. Dak had a stinger. And unlike 99.9% of stingers, his didn't respond to treatment. That's a fluke, not an "injury risk." The vast majority of the time, players come back from a stinger the very next week after injuring it. Unless it happens aGAIN, it's a fluke that Dak didn't.

4. Dak DID NOT get his stinger from running the football. He got it trying to make a tackle - something he hasn't been taught to do and isn't comfortable doing.

Seriously, this "Dak is injury prone and we shouldn't run him against [insert team]" bullshit has gone full retard. The man is built like a ****ing Sherman tank. He's more likely to get hurt by being driven into the ground onto a shoulder while trying to pass from the pocket than he is to get hurt running the football.

Coach34
08-07-2014, 02:26 PM
No shit- it has gone completely retarded. Hell, I won't be surprised if Dakota gets 200 carries this year

HoopsDawg
08-07-2014, 03:34 PM
There is so much FAIL here, I barely know where to start.

1) TR is NOT a running QB. Him getting a knee to the helmet because he either a) won't get down or b) sucks at getting down is very foreseeable. Comparing TR getting hurt while running to Dak getting hurt while running is ridiculous.

Reading comprehension is a b*tch. No one made that comparison. Just a comment on a really stupid play call by Mullen to have Tyler running QB draws with a hurt arm.

Sure we have to run our offense, but we need to be smart about it based on score and opponent. I don't think that's a terribly difficult concept to understand.

Really Clark?
08-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Here is the deal. Go back all the way back to Utah days of Urban/Mullen, and you will find that their QB's average at least 10 runs per game (very conservative) except our 2012 year when TR was the primary QB. Even the Leak/Tebow and our Tyson Lee/Relf year they combined for 150+ rushes in those seasons. That is the offense. The QB will run the ball and possibly up to 200+ times in a season (has happened multiple times in this offense).

The idea that Dan is not going to be smart about though is pretty off base when the track record of just last season shows he kept Dak's rush totals down against Alcorn and Troy. A total of 9 rushing attempts in those two games combined. Nobody wants to see a player get hurt but that's the offense.

War Machine Dawg
08-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Reading comprehension is a b*tch. No one made that comparison. Just a comment on a really stupid play call by Mullen to have Tyler running QB draws with a hurt arm.

Sure we have to run our offense, but we need to be smart about it based on score and opponent. I don't think that's a terribly difficult concept to understand.

You're right, reading comprehension is a bitch. Except, for the 100th time today, RUSSELL DIDN'T GET HURT RUNNING A DRAW. Holy shit, you people are going to give me an aneurysm with this bullshit.

ETA: When you're implying that Dak will get hurt running because TR got hurt running, that is absolutely a comparison. It isn't an explicit or direct comparison, I'll grant you. But it IS an indirect comparison. Not to mention stupid as hell. Might wanna check into that whole reading comprehension idea.

Where'sWaldo
08-07-2014, 09:10 PM

I hope you are wrong about this. We can beat our OOC opponents with Jameon at QB. There is no sense in putting Dak in harms way against these teams. We should use the OOC games to heal up and get Dak and our other QB's comfortable as drop back passers.

Barking 13
08-07-2014, 09:17 PM
If he doesn't run the ball, how the hell do you think he's going to win the Heisman? *****

Really Clark?
08-07-2014, 09:36 PM
I hope you are wrong about this. We can beat our OOC opponents with Jameon at QB. There is no sense in putting Dak in harms way against these teams. We should use the OOC games to heal up and get Dak and our other QB's comfortable as drop back passers.

Really? Can you name the last time we left our starting QB in too long against a weak opponent and he got hurt? Mullen hasn't ever done this, so why the questions now? Has he had a brain injury recently and now everyone is nervous he is going to rush Dak 50 times against a weak team and play the whole game? Come on people. Dak is going to play every game, Dan is going to be smart about the number rushes and once we pull away he will pull Dak. It's what he did last year and what he has always done. If we are in a tight game however, like against Bowling Green, Dak will play the entire game and he will run it 10-15 times. The game will dictate what we do as far as our offensive calls and playing time.

War Machine Dawg
08-07-2014, 11:06 PM
Really? Can you name the last time we left our starting QB in too long against a weak opponent and he got hurt? Mullen hasn't ever done this, so why the questions now? Has he had a brain injury recently and now everyone is nervous he is going to rush Dak 50 times against a weak team and play the whole game? Come on people. Dak is going to play every game, Dan is going to be smart about the number rushes and once we pull away he will pull Dak. It's what he did last year and what he has always done. If we are in a tight game however, like against Bowling Green, Dak will play the entire game and he will run it 10-15 times. The game will dictate what we do as far as our offensive calls and playing time.

This whole "debate" really is some of the most retarded shit I've ever seen on sports message boards. Our fans really, really need to educate themselves about sports. The group think of one freak injury = injury prone is so dumb, I don't even have words to describe how dumb it is.

RougeDawg
08-08-2014, 12:13 AM

what in the F*ck are you talking about? JRob could get 25+ carries every week and keep bringing the pain. If he gets around 20 carries per game, he will be one of the top 3 rushers in the SEC this year. I'll say a Bama back will be in top 3 as well and another wild card. JRob's stats can only be held back by injury or lack of carries. When he gets the chance, he makes it happen.

War Machine Dawg
08-08-2014, 01:44 AM
what in the F*ck are you talking about? JRob could get 25+ carries every week and keep bringing the pain. If he gets around 20 carries per game, he will be one of the top 3 rushers in the SEC this year. I'll say a Bama back will be in top 3 as well and another wild card. JRob's stats can only be held back by injury or lack of carries. When he gets the chance, he makes it happen.

Barring injury, I'd say Gurley at UGA and Davis at USC will both be top 3 in rushing in the SEC this year. Those two guys are absolute beasts. J-Rob could certainly be in the top 5, though.

Coach34
08-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Did Florida ever lead the SEC in rushing when Mullen was OC? We will be in the top half of the league in rushing but our passing offense is too effective to lead the league in rushing.

Yes- his last season there in 2008 after finishing 3rd in 2007

Matter of fact in 2008- Fla led the SEC by over 40 ypgame

Really Clark?
08-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Yes- his last season there in 2008 after finishing 3rd in 2007

Matter of fact in 2008- Fla led the SEC by over 40 ypgame

And to add in 2003 Utah was #3 in the nation in rushing per game, 2008 Florida #10 in the nation, 2009 Mississippi State #9 in the nation and Florida #10, 2010 we were #16 in the nation, 2012 Ohio State #10, 2013 Ohio State #5...do we see a pattern here? Most of the best years under Urban/Mullen the offense is a top #10 rushing team in the nation.

RougeDawg
08-08-2014, 09:55 AM
If he doesn't run the ball, how the hell do you think he's going to win the Heisman? *****

Well if we were smart, we wouldn't want Dak to win the Heisman.**

Dawg61
08-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Gotta think Yeldon and Henry for Bama, Collins and Williams for Arkansas and Fournette for LSU will be up there too. Dak is going to be up there as well. He had more rushing yards than Manziel last year. Nick Marshall and whoever is Auburn's #1 back will be up there as well. It'll take a very special year from JRob to be top 5 in the SEC in rushing. Hope he can do it.