PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Charity Ideas - Guiness Book of World Records

archdog
08-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Alright, I was thinking this morning how we could set the World Record for number of cowbells ringing at one event and how to track it.
Then I tried to combo that with a way to help the Starkville Boys and Girls Club. As some of you know, the Boys and Girls Club has taken a budget cut by the City of Starkville. It is important to keep these programs in place for the youth of the community.

So here is my idea. Get Guiness on board and get them to Starkville on the 30th or at the Auburn game to verify the number of cowbells brought into the stadium. Upon entering, if you have a cowbell, place a dollar in a bucket at the gates. If you want to give more money, there will be a secondary bucket for larger denominations. Now once the team takes the field, the money is then counted, thereby giving you the number of participating cowbells. All money is then donated to the Boys and Girls Club.

I sent Guiness a tweet this morning to get a final number on the record. Their website says 640 is the record, but we have destroyed that so many times its crazy to think that can actually be an established record.

We will all have to ring the bells at the same time. I think we ring them to a song and have a special presentation on the jumbotron.

I think the Boys and Girls Club could probably bank on getting 30-40k easy at one game. This would make up the budget cut 10 fold and show the power of our fanbase.

What do you guys think?

FISHDAWG
08-07-2014, 08:59 AM
not bad ! ... and quite easy to pull it off

ETA - that would probably be an unbeatable record ... unless we did it again with a bigger crowd

archdog
08-07-2014, 09:06 AM
not bad ! ... and quite easy to pull it off

ETA - that would probably be an unbeatable record ... unless we did it again with a bigger crowd

Alright, I have never organized a charity collection before. What do I need to do to get this thing off the ground? Do I need a permit or something to do this on campus? Other than elitedawgs, what is the best way to get the word out there? Would this be better handled by the Greek system or a certain on campus organization, or could this be strickly an Elitedawgs venture? I like the idea of this being an elitedawgs thing. It would give me a chance to get to know a few of you guys, enjoy the gameday experience, and raise some easy money for programs like the Boys and Girls Club.

archdog
08-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Money raised by the power of the COWBELL.

Dawg496
08-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Fantastic idea. Should do it once a year.

FISHDAWG
08-07-2014, 09:27 AM
e-mail this link to Stricklin ... if anyone can get it off the ground it would be him. Also, it would be cool for ED to be involved

Dawghouse
08-07-2014, 09:28 AM
couple issues I see with this.

1. will Guiness go along with your $1 = 1 cowbell plan. might want to get that answered first
2. how are you going to market the bring a $1. TONS of people don't carry cash anymore.

not trying to rain on your parade, you have two great ideas I'm just not sure they will go together properly.

FISHDAWG
08-07-2014, 09:31 AM
they go together perfectly, and everyone has a dollar ... maybe a homecoming thing

archdog
08-07-2014, 09:56 AM
I think the point is, your cowbell doesn't count towards the record unless you donate a dollar. If you want to give more, there will be a secondary bucket for additional giving. But the first dollar has to go into the cowbell record bucket.

DawgHouseUnited
08-07-2014, 09:59 AM
e-mail this link to Stricklin ... if anyone can get it off the ground it would be him. Also, it would be cool for ED to be involved

This. It would have to include the AD for advertising/getting the word out, plus permission to set up stations. Great idea!!

archdog
08-07-2014, 10:09 AM
I tweeted at Strickland to look at this thread. Maybe he will, maybe he will not. I think we could smash the record, and try to break it every year.
How many gates does DWS have now? We would need at least 1 Bucket and 1 sign at each entrance leading up to the time where the team enters the stadium. We would need a secure place to drop the money and count it. Does anyone have a money counting machine?

Then we would need one of those Giant Checks made out to the Boys and Girls Club, in the From category write "Power of the Cowbell" memo #hailstate #GWR (Guiness Book of World Records)

On another note, Ole Miss just chimed in. They are doing the same thing, but every douchebag has to put a dollar in. Buckets overflowing. Its to raise money for the wrongfully accused of assault and battery.

archdog
08-07-2014, 10:14 AM
I have yet another idea on how to get the word out. Have Smoot, Dan Mullen, Fletcher Cox, or Boobie do a video for the Jumbotrons. Have him tell everyone that we are going for the world record at the Auburn game. Bring a dollar to the stadium to have your cowbell counted. All money raised will go to the B&G club in Starkville.

FISHDAWG
08-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I can see the national media actually giving props to the cowbells with this in mind instead of slamming them

starkvegasdawg
08-07-2014, 10:28 AM
One of the best ideas I have heard in a LONG time. If Strick doesn't reply back to your tween by late this evening post that in your thread and then we can all tweet him tomorrow until he either responds one way or the other or we lock his twitter account up.

DawgHouseUnited
08-07-2014, 10:29 AM
I tweeted at Strickland to look at this thread. Maybe he will, maybe he will not. I think we could smash the record, and try to break it every year.
How many gates does DWS have now? We would need at least 1 Bucket and 1 sign at each entrance leading up to the time where the team enters the stadium. We would need a secure place to drop the money and count it. Does anyone have a money counting machine?

Then we would need one of those Giant Checks made out to the Boys and Girls Club, in the From category write "Power of the Cowbell" memo #hailstate #GWR (Guiness Book of World Records)

On another note, Ole Miss just chimed in. They are doing the same thing, but every douchebag has to put a dollar in. Buckets overflowing. Its to raise money for the wrongfully accused of assault and battery.

I would guess at least 2 ppl per collection point; probably need 2-3 dozen to cover the stadium? Plus some bit of security for the drop/counting point- that would have to be school provided, wouldn't it?

TheRef
08-07-2014, 10:35 AM
I would guess at least 2 ppl per collection point; probably need 2-3 dozen to cover the stadium? Plus some bit of security for the drop/counting point- that would have to be school provided, wouldn't it?

The security during games are done by Event Operations Group, LLC that does have a base here on campus. The only thing is that you'll need more than one bucket per gate because you might have a gate that has multiple lines in it. Plus you'll have the problem of students rushing to get seats.

FISHDAWG
08-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Elite Dawgs and the B&G clubs could furnish the volunteers

DawgHouseUnited
08-07-2014, 10:47 AM
The security during games are done by Event Operations Group, LLC that does have a base here on campus. The only thing is that you'll need more than one bucket per gate because you might have a gate that has multiple lines in it. Plus you'll have the problem of students rushing to get seats.

That's what I figured- you might need more than one collection point per gate. I know the SE entrance has several lines.

archdog
08-07-2014, 11:05 AM
One of the best ideas I have heard in a LONG time. If Strick doesn't reply back to your tween by late this evening post that in your thread and then we can all tweet him tomorrow until he either responds one way or the other or we lock his twitter account up.

This is the deal. I just tried to register the record attempt with Guinness. I have to get approval from MSU and the Boys and Girls Club of America prior to submitting to their guidelines. So the ball is in Strick's hands.

DawgHouseUnited
08-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Strange Brew is getting the word out on twitter

TheRef
08-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Strange Brew is getting the word out on twitter

And thus it begins. Strangebrew has a huge following.

elitedawgs
08-07-2014, 11:53 AM
This is a great idea, we need to develop a plan.

DawgHouseUnited
08-07-2014, 12:00 PM
I'd probably be able to man a collection point or pitch in some other way. Think we need some sign from Strick about it, though? They'd have to do the biggest work of getting the word out. I love the idea of Boobie/CDM making a little video for the 'trons. Maybe get Johnthan Banks in on it?

archdog
08-07-2014, 12:05 PM
I have the plan right here. Anyone add to this if you like.
1. Get approval from MSU and the B&G.
2. Get registered at Guinness Book of World Records.
3. Get someone to film a video for the event, to be shown during the football games to let people know to bring a dollar to the gate.
4. Pick a game. I prefer Auburn, but in order to make this happen we have to pay the fast track fee with Guinness to get approval in time. If we do it at the last home game of the season or homecoming, we will have plenty of time to do the free path. Technically we have the time to get it going prior to the Auburn game, but it is going to be close.
5. We need 20 volunteers from Elitedawgs to collect money up until the team takes the field. I know its tough because I love watching the pregame too, but its for a good cause and all you have to do is stand there. I have 20+ people in my tailgate, so we may be able to do this by ourselves but I would rather this be an elitedawg thing.
6. I will create some custom graphics, signs and bucket graphics for the event. Maybe even a t-shirt design if anyone wants it. What would be awesome if MSU would buy tshirts for the entire stadium as a keepsake. Could be something cool.
7. I will set up at the ticket lines before they start to let people in the gates.
8. Everyone collect money until the team gets on the field.
9. Drop the money, someone counts it.
10. Play the video on the jumbotron to some music. Let everyone ring at that time and set the record.
11. Do a graphic on the screen showing the number of cowbells and the new record once the money is counted.
12. Present a check to the Boy's and Girls Club.

13. Marvel at the "Power of the Cowbell"

elitedawgs
08-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Here is a thought:

Coordinate with Guiness & AD to pick a game, say Auburn or TAMU.

Cowbells will have to be counted at the gates in some manner Guiness approves of.

Have an official world setting ring to begin halftime.

Get people to pledge some amount, say 1 penny per cowbell, to go to the Starkville Boys & Girls Club. If there are 40,000 cowbells, that would be $40. If just 1,000 people would pledge, we could raise $40K for the Starkville Boys & Girls Club, and get in the Guiness Book of Records.

Maybe we could get Adidas on board with tshirts to mark the occasion? After a person sends in their pledge, they get a tshirt designed just for the occasion sent to them??

starkvegasdawg
08-07-2014, 12:25 PM
I would volunteer to be someone to collect the money at the gate. I don't have tickets to any of the games so I would not be missing anything by standing out there until the team takes the field.

bulldogcountry1
08-07-2014, 12:49 PM
The big question is if Guiness cares enough to actually have to physically count each cowbell that rings, as opposed to going with an unofficial count of how many bells were brought through the gates. It all depends on how anal they are about it. I would guess counting bells at 30 different gates by volunteers may not be accurate enough for them.

I could be wrong.

TheRef
08-07-2014, 12:50 PM
The big question is if Guiness cares enough to actually have to physically count each cowbell that rings, as opposed to going with an unofficial count of how many bells were brought through the gates. It all depends on how anal they are about it. I would guess counting bells at 30 different gates by volunteers may not be accurate enough for them.

I could be wrong.

Oh they will bring their people in to count them.

DawgHouseUnited
08-07-2014, 01:26 PM
I have the plan right here. Anyone add to this if you like.
1. Get approval from MSU and the B&G. Can't see how B&G would turn it down.
2. Get registered at Guinness Book of World Records.
3. Get someone to film a video for the event, to be shown during the football games to let people know to bring a dollar to the gate.State just beefed up their video dept. They should be able to put a little 10-second clip together pretty easily.
4. Pick a game. I prefer Auburn, but in order to make this happen we have to pay the fast track fee with Guinness to get approval in time. If we do it at the last home game of the season or homecoming, we will have plenty of time to do the free path. Technically we have the time to get it going prior to the Auburn game, but it is going to be close. Which game would be projected to have the best attendance? Time permitting, that would be the target game.
5. We need 20 volunteers from Elitedawgs to collect money up until the team takes the field. I know its tough because I love watching the pregame too, but its for a good cause and all you have to do is stand there. I have 20+ people in my tailgate, so we may be able to do this by ourselves but I would rather this be an elitedawg thing. I'm in.
6. I will create some custom graphics, signs and bucket graphics for the event. Maybe even a t-shirt design if anyone wants it. What would be awesome if MSU would buy tshirts for the entire stadium as a keepsake. Could be something cool. Definitely need shirts for the volunteers. I wouldn't bet on State ponying up for 30k of them though.
7. I will set up at the ticket lines before they start to let people in the gates.
8. Everyone collect money until the team gets on the field.
9. Drop the money, someone counts it. BILL COUNTERS (http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/office-products/490851011)
10. Play the video on the jumbotron to some music. Let everyone ring at that time and set the record.
11. Do a graphic on the screen showing the number of cowbells and the new record once the money is counted.
12. Present a check to the Boy's and Girls Club.

13. Marvel at the "Power of the Cowbell"

Bolded my comments.

DawgHouseUnited
08-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Bump. Any word from Strick on this, archdog?

archdog
08-11-2014, 10:27 AM
I have not received any notification from Strick. I was going to give him another twitter message to see if we can get organized on this thing.

DudyDawg
08-11-2014, 10:48 AM
I love the idea, don't get me wrong. But I see a problem with using money to count the Bells. A lot of people don't carry dollar bills to ball games, I know I usually don't. So I think that if you want to maximize the number for the record than you just need people at the gate from Guinness with clickers counting and then some volunteers collecting cash

DawgHouseUnited
08-11-2014, 11:09 AM
I have not received any notification from Strick. I was going to give him another twitter message to see if we can get organized on this thing.

I sent one over to him as well.

archdog
08-11-2014, 11:31 AM
I love the idea, don't get me wrong. But I see a problem with using money to count the Bells. A lot of people don't carry dollar bills to ball games, I know I usually don't. So I think that if you want to maximize the number for the record than you just need people at the gate from Guinness with clickers counting and then some volunteers collecting cash

I thought about this as well. We could make some business card type of thing that people could sign and put in the bucket as well. Just in case they do not have a dollar.
It may be too much to try to combo this with a charity, but I would rather try and start a great tradition #powerofthebell

If we get the word out, people will bring a dollar.

archdog
08-11-2014, 11:33 AM

Getting people from Guinness to Starkville will cost a good bit of money. I understand what your are saying, but the record will be set by collecting money. Even if this cost us some of the people participating. But next year, people will know to bring a dollar to get "counted" towards the record. Then we can set it again.

starkvegasdawg
08-11-2014, 12:39 PM
It can't be that hard for someone to come up with a dollar bill. Send out a notice that the game with the record attempt will be in three weeks. Hopefully, that much lead time will allow for everyone that needs to to go to an ATM and get $5.00 and then go to a convenience store and buy a Coke. Voila. You have a dollar in the change you get back.

starkvegasdawg
08-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Just tweeted Mullen and Stricklin. Getting ready to tweet Wyatt I think.

CadaverDawg
08-11-2014, 01:17 PM
This is a great idea. I will do anything I can to help, so let me know. Great idea arch!

starkvegasdawg
08-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Well, I tweeted Mullen, Stricklin, and Wyatt asking them for their support this morning. So far no response.

Steakonastick
08-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Your best bet is to get a university group behind it. Try the student association, alumni association or something of that nature. If you want a ear at the Allumni association let me know. I have a family member on the board of directors. I am going to text my friends that work in the marketing department also.

spudd21
08-12-2014, 07:43 AM
This is awesome.

RougeDawg
08-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Great idea. I'm in as well. Would be fun to set a record and help charity at the same time. Especially a record that is unique to our football program and university.

On a side note, what's O/U on hours/days before the bears announce their attempt to set the record for most delusional humans in one stadium at one time? That record for them would be as much of a slam dunk as the cowbells for us. I'm being semi facetious but we all know that they will not allow us to pull off something of this magnitude without announcing some type of record attempt or softball stadium expansion.

starkvegasdawg
08-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Great idea. I'm in as well. Would be fun to set a record and help charity at the same time. Especially a record that is unique to our football program and university.

On a side note, what's O/U on hours/days before the bears announce their attempt to set the record for most delusional humans in one stadium at one time? That record for them would be as much of a slam dunk as the cowbells for us. I'm being semi facetious but we all know that they will not allow us to pull off something of this magnitude without announcing some type of record attempt or softball stadium expansion.

They're working on the record of most number of active defendants on the team at one time.

ScoobaDawg
08-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Dont let this idea die...

FISHDAWG
08-14-2014, 01:23 PM
Dont let this idea die...

I don't know that it's up to us ... it's gonna take MSU involvement at the administrative level

starkvegasdawg
08-14-2014, 01:26 PM
I don't know that it's up to us ... it's gonna take MSU involvement at the administrative level

And from what I can see they have ignored it. I know I tweeted Stricklin, Mullen, and Wyatt and none evert responded. I think others have tried to contact them too. It really baffles me that they are not jumping up and running with this. Nothing but positives any way you look at it. To not even acknowledge the idea is pretty bad im my opinion.

archdog
09-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Well this was the beginning of it. ED nor Archdog were involved, but at the end of the day we Now own the Record.