PDA

View Full Version : Recruit hat picks have officially jumped the shark

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2014, 03:27 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/08/watch_jauntavius_johnson_pull.html

I bet his dad on the right didn't get paid a dime***

BeastMan
08-06-2014, 03:36 PM
News flash, every coveted SEC recruit gets some sort of package. I don't understand why that shot at pops was needed.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2014, 03:50 PM
News flash, every coveted SEC recruit gets some sort of package. I don't understand why that shot at pops was needed.

Are you upset? Just because everyone does it doesn't make it right. Cheating isn't right, no matter how many people do it. Take that Ole Miss attitude out of here.

gtowndawg
08-06-2014, 03:50 PM

Wait, you said coveted.

LC Dawg
08-06-2014, 03:56 PM
If I was that kid I would try to avoid some of those psycho Bama fans over there for a while.

Dawg61
08-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Surprised he didn't pick Vanderbilt

Maroonthirteen
08-06-2014, 04:03 PM
I imagine his guardians yard, bushes and trees just got a heavy dose of round up.

MSUDawg4Life
08-06-2014, 04:06 PM
I don't think I'll watch anymore of these hat dances. Not amusing or entertaining. Just let me know when you pick a team and I'll be fine.

BeastMan
08-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Are you upset? Just because everyone does it doesn't make it right. Cheating isn't right, no matter how many people do it. Take that Ole Miss attitude out of here.

I'm just speaking reality. Why is my attitude "Ole Miss" as you say? Please just tell me one thing: in 15 seconds of video where he doesn't even speak a word, what makes you say that dad looks like he got paid. Please explain.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm just speaking reality. Why is my attitude "Ole Miss" as you say? Please just tell me one thing: in 15 seconds of video where he doesn't even speak a word, what makes you say that dad looks like he got paid. Please explain.

That part was joke (notice the sarcasm asterisks), but has nothing to do with what you said about everyone getting paid. I understand reality more than you know, but reality is a pile of shit that isn't right. If you want to declare it right because "everyone does it" then that is on you.

Declaring something that is against the rules of amateur athletics and collectively hurts the ability of Mississippi teams to compete at the highest level as OK, is what Ole Miss fans say. They admit they cheat, but pass it off as OK because everyone else does it.

AFDawg
08-06-2014, 04:23 PM
I want some kid committing to UNLV or Nova Southeastern to announce his choice by actually jumping a shark.

codeDawg
08-06-2014, 04:26 PM

I will never fault anyone for doing something legal to improve the lives of their family.

Todd4State
08-06-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't understand the allure of the hat party for high school kids. I would think that would put a target on their back from the older guys on the team once they get to school.

I could see some QB doing the hat fake for us and then once he gets to campus, Dak would be like "Hat party is over."

BeastMan
08-06-2014, 04:35 PM
That part was joke (notice the sarcasm asterisks), but has nothing to do with what you said about everyone getting paid. I understand reality more than you know, but reality is a pile of shit that isn't right. If you want to declare it right because "everyone does it" then that is on you.

Declaring something that is against the rules of amateur athletics and collectively hurts the ability of Mississippi teams to compete at the highest level as OK, is what Ole Miss fans say. They admit they cheat, but pass it off as OK because everyone else does it.

I just think it's in poor form to call out that kids dad unprovoked. That kid liked MSU just wasn't leaving the state of AL. I have no problem with you taking that moral high ground as long as you understand how incredibly naive it comes off as. If you don't condone players getting benefits that aren't NCAA sanctioned, I'd suggest not watching SEC football. If you don't support what you call cheating, than you should't watch a down of football.

ETA- nowhere did I ever say it's right

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2014, 04:47 PM
I just think it's in poor form to call out that kids dad unprovoked. That kid liked MSU just wasn't leaving the state of AL. I have no problem with you taking that moral high ground as long as you understand how incredibly naive it comes off as. If you don't condone players getting benefits that aren't NCAA sanctioned, I'd suggest not watching SEC football. If you don't support what you call cheating, than you should't watch a down of football.

ETA- nowhere did I ever say it's right

OK, I call a truce. You make good points. I understand it happens, but I hate it. Perhaps I am naive because I hope that someday SEC football can be a level playing field. I am sure that MSU has paid players in the past as well, but I am positive that we have come out with the short end of the stick over the years when it comes to benefiting from cheating. I am sick and tired of seeing players that like MSU go to other schools because of these types of situations.

Johnson85
08-06-2014, 05:03 PM

It's not really cheating when everybody does it. It's like how taking that extra step in basketball used to work. Whatever the written rules say, that's not the way the game actually works. All you can do is play by the rules as they actually exist.

preachermatt83
08-06-2014, 05:27 PM
I don't think I'll watch anymore of these hat dances. Not amusing or entertaining. Just let me know when you pick a team and I'll be fine.

Amen!

Todd4State
08-06-2014, 05:39 PM
OK, I call a truce. You make good points. I understand it happens, but I hate it. Perhaps I am naive because I hope that someday SEC football can be a level playing field. I am sure that MSU has paid players in the past as well, but I am positive that we have come out with the short end of the stick over the years when it comes to benefiting from cheating. I am sick and tired of seeing players that like MSU go to other schools because of these types of situations.

I think we all know how to level the playing field.

Get rid of Bracky Brett.

smootness
08-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Yeah, that was a bit much.

I think there's a somewhat funny way to do a 'hat fake' where you just kind of subtly imply one thing and then pick another. But actually putting the hat on your head and then essentially being like, 'Just kidding, I lied' is kind of dumb.

Johnson85
08-07-2014, 08:21 AM
I will never fault anyone for doing something legal to improve the lives of their family.

+++infinity as long as you replace 'legal' with 'moral'

I would go so far as to say that if a kids family needs financial help, and he doesn't get it simply because a cartel officially says he can't (even though they ignore it in practice), he needs to reexamine his values and think about where they come from.

AROB44
08-07-2014, 08:26 AM
I think the whole "hat" thing is pitiful. Never been a fan of it and never will.

dawg27
08-07-2014, 04:22 PM
I so agree with u shoutgun.

msstate7
08-07-2014, 04:46 PM

Unreported, untaxed income is legal?

Johnson85
08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Unreported, untaxed income is legal?

Depends on where it comes from and what it's for, but that's really a separate issue since the poster seemed to be complaining about violations of NCAA rules, not whether under the table benefits were declared and taxes paid on them. I don't think there is anyway to know whether taxes are paid on them. I assume not, but there is no reason they can't be declared and taxes paid on them; pretty sure the IRS would be prohibited by law from sharing that info with the NCAA, although they obviously view the law on such things as more suggestive than binding.

msstate7
08-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Depends on where it comes from and what it's for.

Booster to go to certain school? I've always wondered this.

Take the cam case and say he got 180k. Legal?

msstate7
08-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Depends on where it comes from and what it's for, but that's really a separate issue since the poster seemed to be complaining about violations of NCAA rules, not whether under the table benefits were declared and taxes paid on them. I don't think there is anyway to know whether taxes are paid on them. I assume not, but there is no reason they can't be declared and taxes paid on them; pretty sure the IRS would be prohibited by law from sharing that info with the NCAA, although they obviously view the law on such things as more suggestive than binding.

So if the school was cal Berkeley, recruits could declare. aTm (most conservative university) would be turned in? (Joking-- kind of)