PDA

View Full Version : for everyone on the Nick James Bandwagon ...

FISHDAWG
08-06-2014, 01:52 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2014/08/06/msu-david-turner-looking-for-more-from-nick-james/13676649/

1bigdawg
08-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Can you give us a summary for those who can't see the article.

chainedup_Dawg
08-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Can you give us a summary for those who can't see the article.

Doesn't sound very promising:

It's year three of the Nick James buzz bandwagon. It's been a bumpy ride to say the least.

James is coming off a redshirt sophomore season. He played as a true freshman but totaled six tackles in eight games.

This year was expected to be different for the 6-5, 325 pound defensive tackle. James' teammates said he's practicing with more desire than in the past.

Defensive line coach David Turner agreed, but only to a certain extent.

"Well, he's trying. He's still got a long ways to go," Turner said. "He's better than he was, but he's got a lot of work to do. He's still a work in progress."

Defensive tackle is one of Mississippi State's deepest positions. P.J. Jones, Kaleb Eulls, Chris Jones, Curtis Virges and Nelson Adams are all vying for playing time.

Turner laid out a two-step plan for James to leap frog any of them.

"No. 1 he's got to know what to do," Turner said. "No. 2 he's gotta play a whole lot harder."

It's the third offseason for James and the statements from the coaches haven't changed all too much.

"It's very frustrating," Turner said. "Like I said, he's done better but he's still a work in progress."

Rick Danko
08-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Basically coach turner saying he still has a ways to go to see significant playing time.

FISHDAWG
08-06-2014, 02:04 PM
try this link from Bonners tweet ... I also had used up my allotment of visits but this link through Bonner got me in ... I would rather not copy / paste info like this ..... not sure about any legalities ... basically Turner (DL coach) says he still has a lot of work to do especially given the talent ahead of him ...

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 39m
Different camp, same story: MSU defensive line coach David Turner looking for more from Nick James http://on.thec-l.com/1nsYpuM

ha- now the link won't let me back in

Bully13
08-06-2014, 02:06 PM
well, I guess we all needed a little shearing from all the wool over the past 2 weeks.

DapperDawg
08-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Exhibit A of why I'm not buying into all of the hype.

3dawgnight15
08-06-2014, 02:23 PM
If you delete your browsing history and cookies you will be able to access the articles again

FISHDAWG
08-06-2014, 02:24 PM
thanks for the tip

Dirtbagdawg
08-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Typical coach speak. Of course he's not going to
Praise Nick. He hasn't done anything. You people can't take
Everything a coach says as fact. Nick has received praise
From a lot of his teammates. Coaches are smart enough to "coach speak". He's saying
All the right things, as he should. I expect nick to have a great year, and so
Do our coaches.

Johnson85
08-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Crap. Unless this is just misdirection by the staff (which I don't know why they'd do that for USM), sounds like the Nick James hype may have been just that. Of course he could be doing pretty decent and still not crack the two deep, but does not sound like he has broken through like many people thought.

thf24
08-06-2014, 02:30 PM
well, I guess we all needed a little shearing from all the wool over the past 2 weeks.

Come on people. It's not like our season is shot because one guy who hasn't played in over a year isn't as far along as we'd hoped. And while I love coach Turner, keep in mind that he tends to be a little bit of an Eeyore in his comments. Pretty sure I remember him saying similar things about Chris Jones about a year ago. But even if he's being completely honest, Nick still has the rest of camp to work, and worst case he's solid depth in a rotation that's already pretty deep. It would be huge for our front seven if he does live up to his potential, don't get me wrong, but we're going to be damn good on defense whether the light comes all the way on for one player or not.

MSUDawg4Life
08-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Who said Nick James had broken through? We saw one play from practice and many of us took it upon ourselves to hype him. That one play doesn't mean Nick is playing well each and every snap which is clearly what Coach Turner expects and rightfully so.

08-06-2014, 02:33 PM
If you delete your browsing history and cookies you will be able to access the articles again

You can also use private browsing to view without having to clear cache/cookies. Just copy/paste the url.

Safari = Private Window
Firefox = Private Window
Chrome = Incognito Window

War Machine Dawg
08-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Typical coach speak. Of course he's not going to
Praise Nick. He hasn't done anything. You people can't take
Everything a coach says as fact. Nick has received praise
From a lot of his teammates. Coaches are smart enough to "coach speak". He's saying
All the right things, as he should. I expect nick to have a great year, and so
Do our coaches.

Come on people. It's not like our season is shot because one guy who hasn't played in over a year isn't as far along as we'd hoped. And while I love coach Turner, keep in mind that he tends to be a little bit of an Eeyore in his comments. Pretty sure I remember him saying similar things about Chris Jones about a year ago. But even if he's being completely honest, Nick still has the rest of camp to work, and worst case he's solid depth in a rotation that's already pretty deep. It would be huge for our front seven if he does live up to his potential, don't get me wrong, but we're going to be damn good on defense whether the light comes all the way on for one player or not.

Exactly. No way Turner is going to hype NJ yet. But it's obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes that NJ has busted his ass in the weight room, during conditioning, and in spring practice. Then we get video of him absolutely demolishing Joc Johnson late last week. And we've got Chris Jones saying NJ has really stepped it up and doing what he needs to do. There's a lot of reason to think NJ will be a factor at some point this season. But if you're looking for Turner to say it, you're looking in the wrong place.

deltadawg99
08-06-2014, 03:00 PM
My best guess is that he is somewhere in the middle. Coach Turner could be saying some of that to continue to motivate Nick and keep him from getting the big head. At the same time, he didn't play last year and the bar probably set pretty for him to get playing time over guys that have been playing a lot and doing the right things.

HancockCountyDog
08-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Exactly. No way Turner is going to hype NJ yet. But it's obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes that NJ has busted his ass in the weight room, during conditioning, and in spring practice. Then we get video of him absolutely demolishing Joc Johnson late last week. And we've got Chris Jones saying NJ has really stepped it up and doing what he needs to do. There's a lot of reason to think NJ will be a factor at some point this season. But if you're looking for Turner to say it, you're looking in the wrong place.

Anyone that has followed Coach Turner would know that he doesn't really play that many games with the media. If the kid isn't doing everything the right way - he will ****ing sit. Can't really argue with the results Coach Turner has put on the field.

No one doubts NJ's talent, but I didn't doubt Quay's talent last year and he sat. If you think NJ won't sit NJ if he doesn't do exactly what he wants, then you haven't been paying close attention.

RiverCityDawg
08-06-2014, 03:07 PM
And while I love coach Turner, keep in mind that he tends to be a little bit of an Eeyore in his comments. Pretty sure I remember him saying similar things about Chris Jones about a year ago.

This. Turner isn't heaping praise on anyone who hasn't done it consistently for a while. We'll see soon enough whether James is ready to step up, but I'm not reading too much into these comments one way or the other. Like others have said, we'll have a really good D line regardless.

maroonmania
08-06-2014, 03:20 PM

Hope not, but that could say more about Jocquell Johnson than it does Nick James.

RTO Dawg
08-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Thanks +1

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Shotgun is going to be completely honest, and I'm not sure I should say this:

I saw Nick James practice in the Spring up close and I just didn't see much life or desire in his eyes. I really, really hope he changes and turns it around, and think Turner and his teammates are doing everything possible to help him change. They have made progress, but I believe making the progress that would really make a difference would possibly require a life changing event. People don't usually change. They improve, but they don't usually change.

I am not sure if I should have posted this because I hate to say this about a kid, but, at some point in time, people have to be held accountable. Personally, I believe Turner is telling the entire truth, and I would pleasantly surprised, if he made any real contribution this season.

I am rooting for the man and sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

Todd4State
08-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Anyone that has followed Coach Turner would know that he doesn't really play that many games with the media. If the kid isn't doing everything the right way - he will ****ing sit. Can't really argue with the results Coach Turner has put on the field.

No one doubts NJ's talent, but I didn't doubt Quay's talent last year and he sat. If you think NJ won't sit NJ if he doesn't do exactly what he wants, then you haven't been paying close attention.

Exactly. This doesn't shock me.

Dan and his staff have shown over and over that if you don't do everything that you are supposed to do in practice you will sit.

That's why I don't expect to see me D-line of Jones and Smith at DE and James and PJ at DT even though that would clearly be our most talented group.

It's probably going to be Smith and Brown at DE and Eulls and PJ at DT.

HoopsDawg
08-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Shotgun is going to be completely honest, and I'm not sure I should say this:

I saw Nick James practice in the Spring up close and I just didn't see much life or desire in his eyes. I really, really hope he changes and turns it around, and think Turner and his teammates are doing everything possible to help him change. They have made progress, but I believe making the progress that would really make a difference would possibly require a life changing event. People don't usually change. They improve, but they don't usually change.

I am not sure if I should have posted this because I hate to say this about a kid, but, at some point in time, people have to be held accountable. Personally, I believe Turner is telling the entire truth, and I would pleasantly surprised, if he made any real contribution this season.

I am rooting for the man and sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

He's going to play 8-10 snaps per game for us this year. It's a topic that isn't worth spending much time on. We have several good DT's.

PMDawg
08-06-2014, 04:30 PM

Yeah, good call. Our 3rd string DT isn't all world. Pump the brakes everybody!!

Coach34
08-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Turner doesn't hype anybody. He'll tell you Chris Jones is gonna be ok eventually and shit like that. Plus, James is one of those guys you have to just stay on constantly. You can't praise
him much or he goes straight turd on ya.

We have 3 quality DT's in Jones, Eulls, and PJ. What we get after those 3 is gravy. Hopefully James lives up to his potential and helps make the D special

DapperDawg
08-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah, good call. Our 3rd string DT isn't all world. Pump the brakes everybody!!

I'm not saying anything negatively about the team; I'm just stating that what James' position coach is saying is no where near the hypefest I've seen from the fanbase on James. I've seen pictures of "how ripped and in shape he is," and I've heard stories about how "he's turned a corner and is a different man." Yet, it's all been hype. I've heard a shit-ton of other hype about Heisman hopeful, 10 win season, best DL in the SEC, etc, etc. That all may come to fruition, but right now it's only hype, and I'm not buying in, until I see some results on the field. I think we'll be better than last year, but so will a majority of our conference.

FISHDAWG
08-06-2014, 05:03 PM
He's going to play 8-10 snaps per game for us this year. It's a topic that isn't worth spending much time on. We have several good DT's.

yep ... this may speak more to the fact that he has a LOT of talent playing in front of him .... and Shotgun, I hope you're not right but I do get the feeling that a lot of folks expected more out of him just because of his size ... I know I did with out even seeing him play or practice

MarketingBully01
08-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Turner doesn't hype anybody. He'll tell you Chris Jones is gonna be ok eventually and shit like that. Plus, James is one of those guys you have to just stay on constantly. You can't praise
him much or he goes straight turd on ya.

We have 3 quality DT's in Jones, Eulls, and PJ. What we get after those 3 is gravy. Hopefully James lives up to his potential and helps make the D special

Coach is right. David Turner is a bad ass DL coach but he is probably the most negative coach you could talk to. If he says a guy will be okay, it usually means the guy will be a bad ass in the NFL. A great media interview he is not. If he says we will be okay on the line this year, we have a bad ass line. That is just the way he does things. I wouldn't read anything into what he says.

smootness
08-06-2014, 08:41 PM

Why do you keep suggesting Chris Jones won't be one of our primary DTs?

smootness
08-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Coach is right. David Turner is a bad ass DL coach but he is probably the most negative coach you could talk to. If he says a guy will be okay, it usually means the guy will be a bad ass in the NFL. A great media interview he is not. If he says we will be okay on the line this year, we have a bad ass line. That is just the way he does things. I wouldn't read anything into what he says.

Yes, this all day. I remember hearing his quotes about Chris Jones just before last year that poured some cold water on what I thought he would be. He essentially made him out to be your run-of-the-mill solid recruit who had a lot to learn and that was it. Then, lo and behold, the season starts and Chris Jones is everything we thought he was.

I'm sure the coaches still think James needs to pick it up some more. That doesn't mean he won't play or that he won't have a lot of impact. It just means he has even more he can give.

Let's just say Nick James has been the biggest and baddest, and also most disciplined, hardest-working, model player on the team for the last 6 months...do you honestly think, after the struggles he had early on, that David Turner is going to take a chance on ruining all of that by allowing the kid to think he's made it now?

Even in a best-case scenario, Turner is always going to say something like, 'He needs to keep coming and keep giving more if he wants to play consistently.'

Now, he may be 100% accurate, and James may ride the pine all year. But Quay Evans is gone and Nick James isn't. That should tell you plenty about how much James has turned it around. This staff doesn't put up with guys who aren't willing to work.

mic
08-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Just the fact that Nick is still on the team and in school without being involved with football or the team basically ALL of last year keeps me on his bandwagon..

cheewgumm
08-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Move him to RT

Raytoraid83
08-06-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm not saying anything negatively about the team; I'm just stating that what James' position coach is saying is no where near the hypefest I've seen from the fanbase on James. I've seen pictures of "how ripped and in shape he is," and I've heard stories about how "he's turned a corner and is a different man." Yet, it's all been hype. I've heard a shit-ton of other hype about Heisman hopeful, 10 win season, best DL in the SEC, etc, etc. That all may come to fruition, but right now it's only hype, and I'm not buying in, until I see some results on the field. I think we'll be better than last year, but so will a majority of our conference.

BAN THIS TROLL

DudyDawg
08-06-2014, 11:59 PM
That's why I don't expect to see me D-line of Jones and Smith at DE and James and PJ at DT even though that would clearly be our most talented group.

Soooo you don't see Chris Jones starting? Did you forget him or do you seriously think he won't be on our first team D-line

War Machine Dawg
08-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Soooo you don't see Chris Jones starting? Did you forget him or do you seriously think he won't be on our first team D-line

Todd really needs to stick to baseball. He's made a lot of dumb statements regarding football so far. Although I'm a little bit surprised, he's normally pretty solid with football.

That said, I don't think the "starting" DTs mean very much. I think we'll rotate 4-5 guys pretty interchangeably. Everyone will play and play a lot at DT.

Johnson85
08-07-2014, 08:32 AM
yep ... I do get the feeling that a lot of folks expected more out of him just because of his size ...

I think the expectations come from Mullen saying something to the effect of Nick James being one of the biggest freaks he's coached as far as combining size and athletic ability and that he would dominate if he got his head on straight. Not an exact quote, but he answered something like that to a generic question about the most freak athletes he's coached. I believe Nick James was the only person on the MSU team he mentioned.

MzTerry
08-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Todd really needs to stick to baseball. He's made a lot of dumb statements regarding football so far. Although I'm a little bit surprised, he's normally pretty solid with football.

That said, I don't think the "starting" DTs mean very much. I think we'll rotate 4-5 guys pretty interchangeably. Everyone will play and play a lot at DT.

If he's saying Jones won't get a ton of time, then I agree. However, he will not start initially (not that it matters, but that may be what Todd is saying) - bank on that.