PDA

View Full Version : SEC Network

messageboardsuperhero
08-06-2014, 09:58 AM
So the network launches a week from tomorrow. What about it are you most looking forward to?

For me, it's going to be the coverage for baseball. SEC football has always and will always get air-time and attention on a national level- but it's going to be great to be able to watch pretty much any SEC baseball game either on TV or on the computer. Really, all spring sports are going to get a lot more publicity and should be greatly impacted by the network- which is nice, because we've been doing well in those sports recently.

Does anyone know if they're planning to do some kind of weekly or daily baseball talk show in the spring, ala College football live on ESPNU? That could be really cool.

TheRef
08-06-2014, 10:15 AM
So the network launches a week from tomorrow. What about it are you most looking forward to?

For me, it's going to be the coverage for baseball. SEC football has always and will always get air-time and attention on a national level- but it's going to be great to be able to watch pretty much any SEC baseball game either on TV or on the computer. Really, all spring sports are going to get a lot more publicity and should be greatly impacted by the network- which is nice, because we've been doing well in those sports recently.

Does anyone know if they're planning to do some kind of weekly or daily baseball talk show in the spring, ala College football live on ESPNU? That could be really cool.

If they were smart, they would plan on doing that. SEC is huge baseball country and they would have good ratings from a show like that going from about a month before the season begins (Season previews, predictions, etc.) to about a week or so after the CWS (Season in review, looking towards next season). One other thing that I could see as a benefit of the SEC Network is the smaller, non-profit sports (T&F, Golf, Soccer, etc.) getting more publicity and a larger viewership. This is a great chance for every university to showcase some of their smaller sports. MSU will be able to benefit from our T&F, Tennis, and Golf in a big way. Softball has started gaining more viewership as the tournaments are starting to get more air time, albiet on ESPNU, that brings more exposure to the programs.

With the plans to renovate the softball and tennis complex, once it's done and when we host the SEC Tournament after its completion we will begin reaping the benefits of it. Our Tennis program is already one of the top programs in the nation producing All-Americans and bringing in some of the top International talent to our University. Golf will benefit also if they decide to air some of the tournaments because we will be able to show off our new golf facility at Old Waverly.

Now I know that most of you don't particularly care about the smaller, non-revenue sports but I do. I can only see this benefiting our programs in the long-run.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm looking forward to more all access stuff. I love seeing behind the scenes stuff from the week leading up to a big game.

DudyDawg
08-06-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't see them not doing some sort of baseball show. Hell, probably softball too. Maybe more than one each. I mean, it's a channel about one conference, and there won't always be games going on, so they'll need to fill time with good programming.

I'm most looking forward to baseball as well. Gone are the days of me barely being able to see balls or strikes over laptop through a grainy feed when we go to Georgia. Can't wait

TheRef
08-06-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm actually working on an article right now kinda detailing how much the smaller sports will benefit from the SEC Network and the capability to watch just about anything. I'll post it on here when it goes live.

TheRef
08-06-2014, 03:05 PM
And here it is. My reasoning as to why the real winners of the SEC Network are the smaller sports.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/08/06/benefits-sec-network/